Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 30 May 2017, 03:43
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
X-Slacko Slim 4.2r45 (unique, stable, and flexible)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 36 of 36 [532 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 34, 35, 36
Marv

PostPosted: Thu 30 Mar 2017, 11:21    Post subject:  

r43 updated to r44 on the core 2 duo laptop. No issues noted other than that I continue to carry the Intel ipw2200 and iwlwifi firmware in my savefile or add it into the resquashed main SFS.

A humble suggestion (I did it to force and test a true upgrade). You could clear it with rg66 but since your work is clearly labled as X-slacko Slim I don't think he'd object or that it would be confusing. I changed the distro version and drv names to 4.2.44 in DISTRO_SPECS in the initrd.gz and in /etc. That way a true update is made on the savefile when the version is updated.

I continue to run slimjet as my main browser, now using OscarTalks 13.0.8.0-tahr SFS. I like the look and feel and It hasn't failed on any of my sites to date. The extra libs needed in X-Slim are in a post of mine in this thread earlier.

video-info-glx 1.5.1 Thu 30 Mar 2017 on X-Slacko Slim 4.2.44 Linux 4.10.2-lxpup-32-pae i686
2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)

X Server: Xorg Driver: intel
X.Org version: 1.14.3
dimensions: 1280x800 pixels (338x211 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset x86/MMX/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 9.1.7

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40GHz
Core 0: @800 1: @800 MHz

Cheers,

Pelo

PostPosted: Sun 02 Apr 2017, 01:37    Post subject: building a kernel has become a do-it-yourself procedure  

rcrsn51 wrote:
@Pelo: Unfortunately, building a kernel has become a do-it-yourself procedure. So people want to churn out their own versions without considering how to provide extra drivers that are not included.

A better strategy for the community would be to build a small collection of reliable kernels that people can easily drop in using instructions like here.

The Puppy buider should provide its Puppy with appropriate driver for the kernel IMO. I regret that in the forum Puppy Linux is considered an OS for english and linux experts. Our Puppies are downloaded all around the world, by thousands. Don't ask people to compile anything. I cannot compile myself, and i am not te only one.
What we need is a lot of rcrsn51. First the puppy developers should think about to compile, before users. If our Puppy-builder unable to compile drivers, how could they ask to their passengers to do it ?
The challenge is to allow laptops really be laptops, with Puppy Linux running outside your home.

Last edited by Pelo on Mon 15 May 2017, 12:03; edited 2 times in total
mistfire

PostPosted: Sun 02 Apr 2017, 19:34    Post subject:  

@Volhout I will continue the X-Slacko Slim project as long I'm still online or I'm not busy on my work on everyday life. I'm just only a hobbyist I'm just doing this as a past time.

In case I cannot longer online. You and the community can continue or fork this project. I kept all my script changes and the modified files in a tarball (The download link was on the beginning of this thread). Also it has script on it if you want to create your own X-Slacko Slim from the pristine X-Slacko.
mistfire

PostPosted: Sun 09 Apr 2017, 08:44    Post subject:  

New X-Slacko Slim iteration released

Changes:
*Small tweaks only

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2FRkttfZuG0bzFxVXRMcFAydGs
MD5 Checksum: 06a0933755d3f400ce06d829d5e36903
deltacat

PostPosted: Sat 22 Apr 2017, 12:46    Post subject:  

Hi

I'm a relatively new user of Puppy and have been trying several puplets on a couple of netbooks I own. I'm really more of a user rather than a programmer.

I'm running the latest X-slacko slim on my Acer Aspire one used to type this and it's running really nicely. One thing I like is the way it goes into suspend mode when I close the lid, which other puppy distros don't do.

The only slight issue I had was when I installed it frugally to my hard drive, it didn't give me the usual option to encrypt the system with a password. Is this by design or is something missing?
sheldonisaac

PostPosted: Sat 22 Apr 2017, 13:28    Post subject:  

deltacat (in part) wrote:
I'm really more of a user rather than a programmer.
Same for me!
Quote:
I'm running the latest X-slacko slim on my Acer Aspire one used to type this and it's running really nicely. One thing I like is the way it goes into suspend mode when I close the lid, which other puppy distros don't do.
I too have an Acer Aspire One, rarely used. I'll charge it up and try a couple of Puppys. Will check on the lid suspend.
Acer Aspire One: Windows XP, Puppy Linux 5.2
Pelo

PostPosted: Fri 05 May 2017, 04:52    Post subject: my second hand computer is an ACER Aspire 1640.  

sheldonisaac , my second hand computer is an ACER Aspire 1640. I dont'remember having tried X-Slacko Slim on it.
One of the best for it is Saluki, another XFCE Puppy.One of the Must in Puppy family. Applications are a lot.
When a Puppy installed successfully, the next step is to try applications in the menu provided by the Puppy-builder.
Underdog : hum... it looks like SFS on the fly, when you load a full puppy. It works well if your RAM is enough.. I was quite condamned to death doing that. Perhaps Underdog would be accepted as legal by my french team, but i doubt about it.
xvkbd-3.7-i686_s630.pet : virtual keyboard .. i don't need it, but a tester has to test each day. Feed back coming soon.
Feed Back : it works as it should. I think that Médor will add Magyar and Polish soon. Many Puppies are born in Hungaria and many programs are created by SFR, from Poland, well known of Linux devs, in our forum.
Ce serait très pertinent. It would be an accurate decision Exclamation
frenchie.jpg
 Description   eh ! works perfect, si vous voulez nous écrire en français !
 Filesize   61.09 KB
 Viewed   269 Time(s)

frenchie.jpg

Page 36 of 36 [532 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 34, 35, 36
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: