Conexant HSF 56k Softmodem working in Puppy

craftybytes

#1 Post by craftybytes »

Hi all,

---------------------------------
Modem Info:

Conexant PCI HSF 56k Softmodem

MODEL: Rockwell International PCI HSF 56k Data/Fax/Voice/Spkp (w/Handset) Modem (Rev 01)

PCI ID: 127a:2015
CLASS: 0780

----------------------------------

Have managed to get my Conexant HSF 56k Softmodem installed under Puppy (v2.13) - fully up and working - including full speed 'licence key' and other required info .. :D

Well the best speed I've ever been able to get here is around 43kbs - normal is around 34-36kbs .. :wink:

Followed - jcoder24's - guide to get everything working - thanks jcoder24 .. :)

I did have some probs early on installing the driver - it did install but it came up in mode - "crippled" .. Exclamation... Eventually found that I needed a few extra files/libs to get it to 'correctly' install .. :x

The files needed were:
---------------------
sysctl
libproc-3.2.5.so
ls
libacl.so.1
libattr.so.1
----------------------

You'll probably need to get them from another linux distro (if you run any other as well as Puppy) - or "google" for them .. :?:

Someone asked if these 'extra' files need to be for the kernel version used in the 'installed' Puppy - BUT - I used ones from my other distro (MEPIS) which runs on kernel version 2.6.15-1 - so I would say if you stay with a kernel no earlier than version 2.6.12 + - then you should have no probs .. :!:

Once I had these extra files installed - the Linuxant driver 'correctly' installed - then AFTER I did a REBOOT - (NOTE: you MUST DO REBOOT 1st) - using the 'rxvt' terminal - I ran the command '/usr/sbin/hsfconfig' to complete the modem setup steps - finally managed to insert my 'email' address & 'country' & 'licence key' data - and BINGO everything works properly now .. :lol: :lol:

BE CAREFUL : before you install the 'ls' file - you will need to "rename" the existing 'ls' command file in folder - '/usr/sbin' to say '/usr/sbin/ls_old~' - then install the new 'ls' file ....... REASON : the existing 'ls' command used is really the BUSYBOX 'ls' command, whereas the new 'ls' command is the 'standard LINUX 'ls' command ... BE WARNED .. if you don't do the rename there will be a clash - may lock up your system ... :cry: :cry:

AFTER: once you have installed and setup the Linuxant driver & got your modem working properly - you will need to uninstall the new 'ls' command file and RENAME your old one back to it's original ... OTHERWISE .. Puppy may have probs that I don't know about .. :!: :!:

Hope this helps ..
3 x boot:- ASROCK VIA 'all-in-one' m/b; AMD Duron 1.8Ghz+; 1.0GB RAM; 20GB hdd (WinXP Pro); 80GB hdd (MEPIS 3.4-3/Puppy v2.15CE Frugal); 1GB USB pendrive (Puppy 2.15CE Frugal); CD/DVDRW; 17" LCD monitor; HSF 56k modem... MEPIS is great.. Puppy ROCKS..

vicio1

great :P

#2 Post by vicio1 »

I reali have problems whit this conexant driver :P

I need more help

I´m new in linux :P my fist linux is puppy linux and i ignore to much about the sistem , you want make a very expliciti manual for this instalation plis ?? :) really i nedd then :P

the extra file that i need who are that you utiliti ?? i loock for this in the net and i found too many, who is the reali i need ? you have the rpm ?? zip or anything ??

For you paciento in read my really bad inglish thanks xD

bobbyok

#3 Post by bobbyok »

Hi,
I tend to agree with vicio1. This sounds like a very good work around but is over the heads of most of us poor noobs. This modem chipset is used in a lot of laptops {like mine} so I'm sure this would be a VERY popular fix.
craftybytes...If you could provide a VERY simplified walkthru and maybe include a zip of the exact files you used I'm sure a lot of us technologically challenged linux wannabees would be eternally grateful.
Thanks,
Bobby

craftybytes

#4 Post by craftybytes »

Sorry about not getting back to you guys earlier - have been out a fair bit these past few days so have not had much time for the net - just saw your post today ..

Will try to put something together that is a little bit more detailed as to how I got it to work AND hopefully will also include a .zip of the extra files that were required ..

Will try to get back asap..
3 x boot:- ASROCK VIA 'all-in-one' m/b; AMD Duron 1.8Ghz+; 1.0GB RAM; 20GB hdd (WinXP Pro); 80GB hdd (MEPIS 3.4-3/Puppy v2.15CE Frugal); 1GB USB pendrive (Puppy 2.15CE Frugal); CD/DVDRW; 17" LCD monitor; HSF 56k modem... MEPIS is great.. Puppy ROCKS..

craftybytes

#5 Post by craftybytes »

OK - I'm going to try and make this as simple as I can for you all .. :wink:

You will find attached 4 x 'zipped' files for the hsf modem drivers install to Puppy .. :arrow:
==========================================================

EDIT::::: due to upload file size limits - now have 8 x 'zipped' files for install .. :oops:

=========================================================

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
EDIT::: <<<<<<<<< PLEASE NOTE >>>>>>>>>
These are ONLY for use with the - Conexant PCI HSF 56k Softmodem; Type: PCI ID: 127a:2015 - type internal winmodems and ONLY for kernel - 2.6.18.1 - not for any other kernel .. :!: :!: :!:

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Download and 'unzip' each file to a 'temp' folder in - '/my-documents' - in puppy ..
Now you should have 4 x 'sub-folders' :- /etc, /extra, /lib, & /usr ..

All that needs to be done now is to "copy" the 'folders/files' within these 'sub-folders' into the respectively named 'folders' in Puppy ..

As an example : -

1. copy the - 'hsfmodem' - folder (complete) in - '/etc' - into Puppy's own - '/etc' - folder ..

2. copy all the files found in the sub-folders - '/bin, /lib, & /sbin' - in the - '/extra' - folder into the respectively named - '/bin, /lib, & /sbin' - folders in Puppy ..

NOTE: you will need to rename the command - 'ls' - in Puppy's - '/bin' - folder BEFORE you do the copy of the new - 'ls' - file across to this folder .. :?: :?:

3. copy the - 'extra' - folder (complete) found in - '/lib/modules/2.6.18.1/' - sub-folder under the - '/lib' - folder to Puppy's own - '/lib' - folder into the same - '/lib/modules/2.6.18.1/ '- sub-folder ..

4. copy the files/folders found in the - '/usr' - folder into Puppy's own same folders and sub-folders ..

Just make sure that when you copy the files into the - '/sbin' - folder in Puppy that they are 'executable' - if not make them so ..

Now all you need to do is REBOOT puppy - then in an 'rxvt' terminal - type :

hsfconfig -c ....."to set the Region "

&

hsfconfig -l .... "to enter your own licence key "

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Now you will AGAIN need to REBOOT puppy - then all should be OK..

NOTE: as I stated in my original post - don't forget to RENAME the - 'ls' - command back to the original - otherwise you may have a clash in Puppy ..YHBW .. :twisted:

Mow just use the modem connect icon on Puppy's desktop to start up and configure Gkdial - it all should hopefully run as expected .. 8)
Last edited by craftybytes on Thu 08 Feb 2007, 06:33, edited 4 times in total.

craftybytes

#6 Post by craftybytes »

Here are the 'zipped' files...

craftybytes

#7 Post by craftybytes »

Next file...
Attachments
hsftmp-extra.zip
(80.94 KiB) Downloaded 1039 times

craftybytes

#8 Post by craftybytes »

As there is a max limit for uploads - I have had to split some of these - 'folders' - up into smaller - 'chunks' - sorry about that ..

The 'unzipping' & 'copying' of files/folders should still be the same for all the downloaded zipped files ..

Any probs - let me know ..

craftybytes

#9 Post by craftybytes »

Next file...

craftybytes

#10 Post by craftybytes »

Next file ..
Attachments
usr.zip
(135.66 KiB) Downloaded 886 times

craftybytes

#11 Post by craftybytes »

And the next ..
Attachments
usr_1.zip
(166.3 KiB) Downloaded 1093 times

craftybytes

#12 Post by craftybytes »

And so on ..

craftybytes

#13 Post by craftybytes »

YEAH .. the last one ..
Attachments
usr_3.zip
(157.65 KiB) Downloaded 952 times

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#14 Post by Ian »

Hi crafty, its me again.

I have tried all that you have posted in both forum sections and still to no avail, on one machine it says it cannot find a modem on another it is back to not finding the region.

I have tried half a dozen hsf modems that have come from working systems and scanmodem identifies them as:

'For candidate modem in PCI bus: 00:0a.0
Class 0780: 14f1:2f00 Class 0780: 14f1:2f00
Primary PCI_id 14f1:2f00
Support type needed or chipset: hsfmodem'

I'm not sure what to try next, different modems maybe.

Thanks for all the help so far.

craftybytes

#15 Post by craftybytes »

Hi Ian,

Sorry to hear that you have not had any success as yet ..

Just to clarify though - the files I posted above are for use ONLY with - Conexant PCI HSF 56k Softmodem; PCI ID: 127a:2015; Class: 0780 - type modem cards ..

The files are ALREADY "compiled" using the Puppy kernel - 2.6.18.1 - and the Linuxant drivers for the - 127a:2015 - modem card - so will not work for any other PCI ID: version of card - even though the Class: 0780 - maybe the same ..

Your scanmodem report gives the modem as:

PCI_id 14f1:2f00; Class: 0780

As can be seen - my modem is - 127a:2015 - but yours is - 14f1:2f00 - thus the above posted driver files will not work ..

Sorry but it looks like you will have to do a "compile" of the Linuxant files with your modem in place so as the 'correct' drivers can be installed ..

I see that you live in Queensland - so maybe send me a PM and we can further discuss what we could do about this for you.. Maybe if you have a few of these modem cards - you could post one to me and I'll see what I can do about 'compiling' the drivers for you and send them back on a CD when returning the modem card..

Happy to help if I can ..

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#16 Post by Ian »

Success!!

I tried another batch of modems and found one,

PCI ID 127a:2005
Class 0780

that worked so it all comes down to hardware.

I haven't tried to dial up yet, just getting the driver to work has drained me, but I have one more card, PCI ID 127a:1025 Class 0780 to try so I will wait until tonight and see if I can connect to the internet.

Thanks again for the help.

craftybytes

#17 Post by craftybytes »

Yep.. Hardware is in most cases the main cause of heartburn - it's usually an incorrect IRQ or even more - an incorrect 'driver' or 'drivers' - that are the bugbears ..

Good to see you have made some progress ..

As you have now found out - you actually need the 'correct' drivers for the particular model & type of modem BEFORE you can even get Puppy to recognise it - WHICH really means you have to do a "compile" of the Linuxant modem files against the kernel - '2.6.18.1' - WITH the modem installed (hardware wise) - otherwise you are only chasing the proverbial "tail" - as someone says (in their avatar) in these Puppy forums - 'unless you are not lead dog, the view is always the same' ..

Let us know if you have any further success or if you need further help ???

telemetric_au

#18 Post by telemetric_au »

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 7&start=15

go there to download the missing files i uploaded, though i havent got a full connection with them that may be due to some other reason as ive gotten it installed and making noises, so would interested to hear if anyone can use them all the way...

bignono1

#19 Post by bignono1 »

Hi
PCI ID 127a: 1025 class 0780

linuxant .com says :BEWARE: some PCI IDs, notably 127A:1025 and :2005 were used for both HCF and HSF modems, so you might have to try both drivers to find out which one works.

I downloaded both drivers but need help to install.
Please help.

bignono1

#20 Post by bignono1 »

I bought a usb conexant modem yesterday , puppy 4.2
did detect it but when i click the connect button on the wvdial it does not find the modem.
The 4.3 puppy did the barking very nice.
The installation cd does have a linux driver but i did not understand it , there are 3 files ; dgcmodem 1.01_i386.de , dgcmodem 1.01 and dgcmodem_1.01-1.i386.rpm. i tryed all of them but with no avail on puppy 4.2.