Can't mount Windows shares from Tahr

Using applications, configuring, problems
ahoppin

Can't mount Windows shares from Tahr

#1 Post by ahoppin »

Tinkering with Tahr here. He seems like a nicely refined pup, but he misbehaves in one area. He can see the SMB shares on my Windows 2000 machine, but can't mount them.

In pnethood when I enter my Windows username and password and click Connect, I get "Mount: MACHINE failed. The server may be refusing you access to the share or your password may be incorrect ..."

In YASSM, I get "No connection to I" (where I is the Windows 2000 drive I'm trying to mount).

Every other Puppy version I've tried - Lupu 525, Lupu 528, Wary 5.5, and Precise 5.7.1 - can mount and read/write the Win 2000 shares with my Windows username and password.

But not Tahr. That's a problem.

Tahr happily mounts shares on machines running Puppy with Samba. He just doesn't seem to like Win2k. (I don't entirely blame him.)

Again, every other Pup I've tried up to Tahr has been able to mount Windows 2000 shares OK. Tahr can't. Any idea what gives here, and how to fix it?

Thanks for the help!

don570

#2 Post by don570 »

First type 'ifconfig' to see what network you're connected to and the address.

I like to run Advanced IP Scanner from the windows machine.

Then check if 'smbclient' is installed on linux machine. It should be by default.
(Type it in console)

If you still can't make a connection, I would go to ibiblio and see if a
full SAMBA pet package is available for tahr puppy

Here is a 32 bit version
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... 9-i686.pet

rcrsn51

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

@ahoppin: It's probably this issue with your Win2000 shares in Tahrpup.
Important Update: Recent Puppies require the YASSM-login option sec=ntlm to access older Samba servers ...
Also, which version of Tahr is this?

@don570. Ahoppin is using a Samba CLIENT procedure. Installing a Samba SERVER package does nothing for him.

ahoppin

#4 Post by ahoppin »

Thanks, Don, ifconfig confirms that I'm connected to my home LAN (via ethernet cable).

I have Tahr's default Samba server up and running. In fact the Windows 2000 machine mounts the Tahr machine's Samba shares just fine. The problem is that it won't work the other way; Tahr Pup can't mount the Win 2000 shares.

Or rather I should say it couldn't, past tense, since rcrsn51 had it right, many thanks! Adding sec=ntlm to the YASSM options makes the connection work.

Is there any way to add a similar option to pnethood, or will I just need to remember to always use YASSM for connecting to Win, and add that option?

PS - this is Tahr 6.0.5 - is there a more recent version?

Thanks again!

rcrsn51

#5 Post by rcrsn51 »

ahoppin wrote:or will I just need to remember to always use YASSM for connecting to Win, and add that option?
YASSM has several ways to lock in a connection profile. Click the Set checkbox. Read the Help.

ndujoe1

#6 Post by ndujoe1 »

Sometimes it is simply a timing issue as the connection is made though I can't remember the setting to make for a longer timed search.

rcrsn51

#7 Post by rcrsn51 »

@ndujoe1: A Samba client operation has two steps - locating the share and mounting it. Ahoppin's problem was with the second step. Timing issues are with the first step.

ahoppin

#8 Post by ahoppin »

Thanks, I'll investigate more advanced YASSM use.

I peeked at the script and saw a quick and dirty way to add a default "sec=ntlm" to the options. I found that that option doesn't interfere with the other connections I've tried, so why not?

BTW, YASSM seems much easier and more pleasant to use than I remember from the last time I tried it, which was in one of the Precise releases.

Thanks again!