vividpup beta

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
artsown

#141 Post by artsown »

This curiosity seeker couldn't resist. I frugal installed vivid 6.5 (kernel
4.0.1) on a hard drive. As usual, Palemoon couldn't handle the videos at
one or more news web sites including cnn, abc and nbc. I installed firefox
53 and it worked after I installed a bunch of gtk 3 libs, etc, from the repo.
Again, as usual of late, FF performed perfectly..I also installed my
printer-scanner and qpdfview which is far better than evince for filling
out tax forms. So I wound up with a very quick and very nice pup that
does at least the main things I require.

I read the very useful post a few posts up by mikesLr that warned about
the short time remaining for the repos. Seems to me a crucial factor
is the rapid development of web sites using the latest technologies.
Your favorite browser will no longer update without a fix from a up-to-
date repo. Maybe the main browsers will eventually include and install their
dependencies to overcome this problem.

Art

Pelo

one can jump from Vivid to Xenial, without effort

#142 Post by Pelo »

i should say one can jump from Vivid to Xenial, without effort. But with the newest kernels that is not true.
When your Puppy works well, keep it active
A i told above i am searching for place on my pendrive for installing some puplets to test (often to give a hand to Linux learners, if gentlemen)

Newest kernels are ... slow. Slow is not the word. 4.5.2 for xenial is fast, once started; I mean sometimes 40 seconds between clicking action and window appearing on screen
95% of 300.000.000 computers sold each year are laptops, We need kernels to go outside with our Puppies. Unfortunately our devs develop indoor, and forget to make their Puppies waterproof, if raining. (only choose kernels for which rcrsn51 has compiled for wireless). Some devs even refuse to compile drivers for wireless usb antennas. They don't want their puppies to go outside, or perhaps they don't know how to do. and they ask me, who hardly speaks english.

Pelo

Choose LXpup Xenial 7.0.1 to replace Vidvidpup

#143 Post by Pelo »

For wireless , kernel 4.5.2 would be perfect this summer if you buy a dongle listed in our forum. For audio some firmware has been omitted in the kernels. Ask your Puppy supplier to check
Package manage has to be updated but will provide lot of new apps, unkown until now for Puppy. Better ? Different sure.
8192cu_xenial_704-k4.1.31.pet : Xenial 704 is an alternative. Not tested.
ask your supplier furher details. if assistance still assumed.
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 14 Jun 2017, 04:49, edited 1 time in total.

Robert123

Re: one can jump from Vivid to Xenial, without effort

#144 Post by Robert123 »

[quote="Pelo" Some devs even refuse to compile drivers for wireless usb antennas. They don't want their puppies to go outside, or perhaps they don't know how to do. and they ask me, who hardly speaks english.[/quote]

More mischief making Pelo??? Grossly untrue. There is a 8192CU thread.
Devuan Linux, Stardust 013 (4.31) updated [url]https://archive.org/details/Stardustpup013glibc2.10[/url]
s57(2018)barebone[url]https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppy-linux-minimal-builds/files/s57%282018%29barebones.iso/download[/url]

Pelo

New (and full full full) version of Vivid issued

#145 Post by Pelo »

New (and full full full) version of Vivid issued this month by our famous developer in Hungary
Attachments
Vivid.jpg
Just the top RH corner
(22.34 KiB) Downloaded 436 times

Pelo

choose kernels for which Rcrsn51 provides yet the 8192cu pet

#146 Post by Pelo »

There is a 8192CU thread. Robert 123, does that mean that Puppy builders will now provide or compile drivers 8192cu wireless antennas for their users ?
Medor does it for Slaxen as he needs it.
Rcrsn51 compile them for the Puppy community, Because he is a nice member.
Puppy Linux experts should do it. Bluetooth provided and no wireless.. huuumm
About Vivid, the easy way is to choose kernels for which Rcrsn51 provides yet the 8192cu pet.
kernel 3.19.5 not listed . I contact csipesz, because Iso size 4478MB is full featured, but makes laptops as old PC linked to their wall sockets.

csipesz

#147 Post by csipesz »

What happened with ppm in vivid beta 2??? - updating databases not functional already.
This very-very not good. How can i fix it? - ideas?

hamoudoudou

why PPM won't update.

#148 Post by hamoudoudou »

What i can say is that the fact that Vivid is not longer supported by Ubuntu is not the reason why PPM won't update.
All Ubuntu "seasonal" versions are still updatable . Why Vivid Should'not ? That is strange, dear hungarian developer..
Multiverse and universe repositories are handled by Ubuntu users, not by Ubuntu teams.
I will take a glance at it. But not right now.. I will give answer via Facebook and s-kami.. European cooperate there to help me. I would be happy to be helpful in return.
Of course, i will post here my answer too, if successful.

csipesz

#149 Post by csipesz »

Thank you for the fast answer, hamoudoudou;
Very unfortunate - though the vivid beta 2 best ones after the precise 32 bit puppies - according to me...

oui

#150 Post by oui »

now, a long time after all this did happen, it is not possible to identify any more in archive.org, which is the version defined in this discussion

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=98032

it seem to be the emsee version? but RHS did declare here:
LazY Puppy wrote:Die Archive verfolgen/benötigen dieselbe Installationsstruktur, die für LazY Unicorn vorausgesetzt wird.

Wenn Du also LazY Unicorn installiert hast, so wie es installiert werden soll, dann entpackst Du die Archive passend zu den Orten, an denen Du LazY Unicorn und dessen Beigaben installiert hast.

Das ist alles.

Wenn Du die Beispiele für die Einträge in der menu.lst in Deine Grub4DOS menu.lst eingefügt hast, dann solltest Du sofort loslegen können, Vivid beta 2 als LazY Puppy oder im Originalzustand zu verwenden.

Im Übrigen habe ich NICHT die Vivid beta 2 von Stemsee verwendet, ich weiß also nicht, ob das mit dieser Version funktioniert.

Ich verwende/te diese Vivid Version.
they are different?

what is right?

hamoudoudou

I agree on the fact tht ISO s listed are not defined enough

#151 Post by hamoudoudou »

I agree on the fact that ISO s listed are not defined enough to unsdestand what it is. I told it in francophone forum, and musher0 answers for Vividpup as example

ally

#152 Post by ally »

oui

the file size was listed in the page you linked as 432mb

this file: http://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linux ... -beta2.iso is 432mb

:)

oui

#153 Post by oui »

thank you very much dear ally, it really seems to be the right one!

ally

#154 Post by ally »

you're welcome oui

:)