Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 24 Apr 2017, 09:24
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
How to install Slacko without a CD drive?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
ethplorer

PostPosted: Fri 21 Apr 2017, 13:45    Post subject:  How to install Slacko without a CD drive?  

i don't have diskplayer and this is an old computer where linux mint is installed. any option for me?

something like pointing to vmlinuz and initrd.gz just to boot.

if it can be done, i sure can work out on it and use gparted for fresh install.
Robert123

PostPosted: Fri 21 Apr 2017, 14:35    Post subject:  

Details of computer - can it boot from usb - use unetbootin.??????????
mikeslr

PostPosted: Fri 21 Apr 2017, 17:09    Post subject:  

Hi ethplorer,

The method discussed here, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=950077#950077 can be used to create a Frugal Install of any Puppy using Linux Mint and does not require a CD/DVD burner. Specifics regarding adapting the main section to Puppies are at the end of the post.

Although that post includes instructions for replacing your Linux bootloader with grub4dos --you could-- you can also disregard those instructions and customize your current bootloader to boot Puppies. How to is discussed here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?search_id=2117686125&t=83666

Essentially, what you would be doing is creating a folder on the same partition as you have Linux Mint. No need to create another partition. Linux Mint will ignore anything not a part of its system. Puppy's system files will be in that folder. Puppy will be on Linux Mint's boot-menu. Puppy will see LinuxMint's partition as its own Home Partition. You might want to follow the instructions I just provided here, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=952338#952338.

Caution: The foregoing assumes that you did not allow LinuxMint to setup LVM --logical volume management-- of its partition. If you did, you'll first have to use LinuxMint's tools to shrink that partition before trying to do any kind of Puppy install.

But do answer Robert123 questions. Exclamation If in doubt, and possible, its always best to test Puppies --or any Operating System-- from a USB-Stick. And you say you have an old computer and didn't tell us which version of Linux Mint it runs. There are several versions of Slacko. Some newer ones may require more resources --RAM, CPU-- than your computer has. Some older ones may neither come with nor have the ability to use applications you need.

Details, please.

mikesLr
ethplorer

PostPosted: Fri 21 Apr 2017, 22:12    Post subject:  

thank you for your help. i haven't solve anything yet and i think this is not a linux mint too. but it still using grub2

Code:
cat /etc/*release
DISTRIB_ID=MX
DISTRIB_RELEASE=15
DISTRIB_CODENAME=Fusion
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="MX 15"
PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)"
NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="8"
VERSION="8 (jessie)"
ID=debian
HOME_URL="http://www.debian.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://www.debian.org/support/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.debian.org/"

tried taking the seconds option by ignoring all and just adding the menu by editing the 40_custom under etc/grub.d/

Code:
#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
menuentry   "Puppy Linux"  {
set   root=(hd0,5)
linux  /slacko/vmlinuz   root=/dev/sda5  psubdir=slacko
initrd  /slacko/initrd.gz
}

i updated the grub and yet it says kernel must be run first?

also this is my gparted:

i'm confuse which to use actually tried /dev/sda6 and /dev/sda5 and the rest of the combination but still not working.

how should my root parameters be? right now its set root=(hd0,5)
ethplorer

PostPosted: Sat 22 Apr 2017, 01:56    Post subject:  

finally solved it. and made it work so far. now i just want to install boot loader to get rid of this MX debian. How do i install a boot loader? where can i find it?

my /mnt/sda6/boot/grub/grub.cfg says

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
menuentry 'Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda1)' --class windows --class os $menuentry_id_option 'osprober-chain-01D07F8647A58740' {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
set root='hd0,msdos1'
if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,msdos1 --hint-efi=hd0,msdos1 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos1 01D07F8647A58740
else
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 01D07F8647A58740
fi
parttool ${root} hidden-
chainloader +1
}
### END /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_uefi-firmware ###
### END /etc/grub.d/30_uefi-firmware ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment. Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
menuentry "Puppy Linux" {
set root=(hd0,6)
linux /slacko/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda5 psubdir=slacko
initrd /slacko/initrd.gz
} ### END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###
if [ -f ${config_directory}/custom.cfg ]; then
source ${config_directory}/custom.cfg
elif [ -z "${config_directory}" -a -f $prefix/custom.cfg ]; then
source $prefix/custom.cfg;
fi
### END /etc/grub.d/41_custom ###

thanks
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sat 22 Apr 2017, 12:59    Post subject:  

Hi again ethplorer,

Your objective may be very simple to accomplish or [due to the present fuzziness of my mind and the fact that you are currently booting using grub2 which I always find confusing] somewhat complicated.

If I've read your current "boot menu" correctly, both Mx15 and Slacko are on the same partition and [while you have Windows on your hard-drives 1st partition, the boot loader it installed is not being used, rather] your computer is now booting from that partition.

There's an easy way to check if this is correct. Boot into Slacko. Just above its task bar will be a series of icons representing and providing quick access to each partition. One of those icons will have an "x" in its top right corner. The "x" indicates that partition is mounted. Left-click that icon and a window will open. You should see a folder named "slacko" as that is slacko's home partition. If it is also the partition used by Mx15, you'll also see folders having such names as bin, boot, mnt, sys, var. Their presence will indicate that slacko is on the same partition as Mx15.

If Mx15 folders are not on the same partition as Slacko, just adjust the following by Left-clicking the desktop drive icons until you find on which partition they are located and, later, re-opening that partition to delete Mx15's folders.

If so, your objective should be easily accomplished. There are 3 steps. Install grub4dos as bootloader to that partition. Delete Mx15's folders. Re-install or edit Grub4dos' menu.lst.

Unlike grub2 which can write bootloaders to partitions --apparently somehow circumventing a window's bootloader*-- grub4dos (as far as I know) only writes its bootloader to the root a drive. If the Window's bootloader is still functional and just being circumvented, installing grub4dos will render it non-functional. However, grub4dos will automatically create and use a boot-menu, a text file named menu.lst, which will always provide access to Window XP and almost all Linux OSes. Mx15 is not one of the two (from my experience) Linux Oses it doesn't recognize. [To others, XP is bolded because if you have Window 8 and above, you may have a computer requiring special handling).

Step 1: Boot into Slacko. Open Menu>System>grub4dos bootloader config. It will offer to install grub4dos to sda. Accept that offer. Grub4dos will be installed to the root of your hard-drive and create a menu.lst providing access to Slacko, windows and Mx15.

Step2. Reboot your computer. It should now boot using grub4dos. [If you're still using Windows, you might want to take this opportunity to boot into it just to be sure you can; and start a new thread if you can't]. Boot into slacko. Again Left-Click the desktop drive icon to open a window to its Home partition. At the top of Rox (your file-manager)'s toolbar is an "eye". Left-click it to show "hidden files". Place your mouse-cursor on an empty space in the window and click it. [Just to set Rox's focus on the entire window]. Press Ctrl-A. All the files and folders in that window should now be highlighted/selected. Place your mouse-cursor on the slacko folder. Hold down the Ctrl-Key while clicking the Left-Mouse button. This will de-select the slacko folder. Place your mouse-cursor on any file or folder other than the slacko folder.. Right-click and a pop-up menu will appear offering among the actions you can take "delete". If you click delete, all the selected files/folders will be deleted. This action is not recoverable. So before doing that, make certain the slacko folder has not been selected.

All the files and folder relating to Mx15 should have been deleted. It's now time to remove the reference to it on grub4dos' menu.lst. You can re-run grub4dos from the menu. But I'd recommend that your edit your current menu.lst instead.

Left-click the desktop drive icon to the furthest left and probably bearing the lable sda1. A window will open and you should see a file named menu.lst. Right-click it and from the pop-up menu select either "open with geany" or "open as text". The chosen application will open and display the text file menu.lst.

You can now select the entire stanza relating to Mx15 and delete it.

While you've got menu.lst opened I'd recommend two other changes. You'll see an entire stanza relating to slacko. One of the lines in the stanza will read something like:

kernel /slacko/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=slacko pfix=fsck

I've bolded the term atahd for emphasis; your line won't and shouldn't be. Edit that line to read

kernel /slacko/vmlinuz pmedia=ataflash psubdir=slacko pfix=fsck

again, the bolding is for emphasis.

The purpose of this edit is to trick grub4dos into thinking that slacko is on a USB-Key. Doing so enables you to turn off automatic saving, discussed in my prior post: i.e., after rebooting into slacko, open Menu>system>Puppy Event Manager, select the Save Session Tab, edit Save Interval to Zero (0) and optionally check the "Ask at shutdown" box. (Recommended).

While menu.lst is still open, I recommend the follow edit. Scroll to just below the bottom of the Slacko stanza and press return a couple of times to create some blank lines. Scroll back to the top of the Slacko stanza, then highlight the entire stanza and select copy. Place you mouse cursor in the empty space you created, Right-click and select paste. Edit the title of the duplicate stanza so that it read something like "Title Puppy Slacko Without Save File" or "Safe Mode" -- or anything which will reflect that the SaveFile or Folder will not be copied into RAM when you boot that listing. Now edit the "kernel line" to read:

kernel /slacko/vmlinuz pmedia=ataflash psubdir=slacko pfix=fsck;ram

There are no spaces between fsck, the ";" and ram.

Remember to save the edited menu.lst before closing it.

Being able to boot into any Puppy without it making use of a SaveFile or SaveFolder provides these advantages: If there's a problem, its almost always with the SaveFile/Folder. Booting without it enables you to create a new one; a second one for special purposes (conserve ram by only having video or wordprocessing, or a secure web-browser loaded); or copy your current SaveFile/Folder which is devoid of problems and place it in a folder 2 levels below the root of a partition --e.g. in /slacko/protect-- so that if you later have a problem you can boot "pfix=ram", delete the current SaveFile/Folder, copy the good one from /slacko/protect to /slacko and reboot into a trouble free operating system.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Your system appears to be working. However, I see a potential problem which I personally would "fix" ignoring the adage. In the past, I had problems relating to my use of extended and logical partitions. My old computer kept "loosing" them. XP was on the first partition, so I could boot into XP, start (I think) parted-magic and recover them. Eventually, I posted the problem to the forum and was advised by (I think) mikeb --someone with a depth of computer knowledge-- that the extended/logical structure was actually "experimental", if I remember correctly the term used. I then restructured my hard-drive to only use primary partitions. The problem went away. But full disclosure requires you to know that about a year later the drive failed entirely.

If you can still boot into Windows, there's no urgency. But, if you can't a failure to be able to boot into an operating system on a logical partition will leave your computer without any operating system. So, for now, I'd add a 2nd copy of Slacko --or any Puppy-- by placing it in a folder on the same partition as Windows, your sda1**. The folder should have a unique name, such as slacko2nd, Perhaps give it a title such as "Slacko Backup" on grub4dos' menu.lst with, of course, its own stanza including references to that folder; i.e., where the stanza for your current slacko reads /slacko the stanza for your "backup" would read /slacko2nd in my example. Within the slacko2nd folder you could also keep your "protect" folder with its copy of your functional SaveFile/Folder. Depending on the size of you SaveFile/Folder, probably no more than 1 Gb of space on sda1 will be required. If your logical partitions ever fails, you will still be able to boot into "Puppy" run gparted and restructure your hard-drive.

mikesLr

* actually, I think grub2 may write to the root of a drive, over-writing window's bootloader. What it writes contains instructions as to which partition and folder the rest of its instructions are found.

** Puppies can boot from ntfs, Fat32 and almost any medium. But, if they are not on a Linux formatted partition some Linux operations won't work.
ethplorer

PostPosted: Sat 22 Apr 2017, 20:45    Post subject:  

thanks for the detailed instructions. the computer runs more than 24 hours already since the time i replied here. been reading a lot here.gonna be using this distro for the rest of this computer's life.

grub4dos works swiftly. i will soon try to wipe out windows and install grub2 and then set up the menu.lst for maybe two puppy derivatives.

the forum is full of information. thanks.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Yesterday, at 11:02    Post subject:  

Ethplorer, don't wipe Windows unless you have to. It's useful for some things, just don't connect it to the Internet. Sad
bigpup

PostPosted: Yesterday, at 11:42    Post subject:  

Quote:
grub4dos works swiftly. i will soon try to wipe out windows and install grub2

Forget trying to use Grub2.

If you are going to use Puppy.
The Grub4dos that comes in Puppy is specifically tweaked for how Puppy works.
It also provides some Puppy specific boot options in it's advanced boot menu.

We are Puppy.
Resistance is futile.
You will be assimilated.

Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: