Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 18 Oct 2017, 21:57
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Fatdog64-710 Final [4 Dec 2016]
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 26 of 39 [583 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, ..., 37, 38, 39 Next
bpuppy2

PostPosted: Thu 20 Apr 2017, 19:43    Post subject: A few glitches to keep us busy...
Subject description: Follow-up

Sorry for taking a long time to reply. I had to create a new account due to a messup in my password.

@step:
LS_COLORS [SOLVED]:
I removed the LS_COLORS... from the ~/.shinit file and created a ~/.fatdog/profile containing only the 'export LS_COLORS=...', saved and rebooted.
It works just fine now and it is persistent. Thank you.

@SFR:
Drive icons: i followed the steps mentioned and the mounted partition's icon is the plain one, w/o the green 'X' box in the left corner. I also tried the script you provided. See attached png. It then showed the icon with the green box but when i dismounted it, the icon did not refresh.

Bold Font everywhere [SOLVED]:
You have a keen eye SFR! You are right, the bold font shows up everywhere. I checked an option i had not used in a very long time:
Fatdog Control Panel > Desktop > GTK Theme Chooser > changed the font in the input field at the bottom of the form and all is well now! Thank you SFR for your insight!

obconf in terminal:
The onyx themes do not update. The others do as far as windows are concerned. The menu colors, taskbar and bold font in the menu never updates and neither does the calendar colors.

Time issue:
I did set all my puppies, ubuntu and windows to UTC time and now it works well in all OSes.
Some entries in the Messages file, still show a 4-hour difference even though they happened within a few minutes. Could syslogd be confused ?
Anyone else has this issue?
Could these wrong timestamps potentially create time critical issues... like crond missing my birthday? Smile ... or maybe i shouldn't worry about these timestamps Wink )

Calendar:
I have not changed the QT theme (calendar) as i would not even know how or where to look for it. It still has bad weekdays colors.

bpuppy2 (previously bpuppy)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fatdog 710|TahrPup 605|Ubuntu 14.04 LTS|Windows 8
fatdog-drive-icon-refresh-icon.png
Description  This is the debug info from running your script on /dev/sda10 while it is actually mounted.
png

Download 
Filename  fatdog-drive-icon-refresh-icon.png 
Filesize  32.46 KB 
Downloaded  18 Time(s) 
Shot-obconf.png
 Description   Obconf launched from the terminal returns these error messages.
 Filesize   25.08 KB
 Viewed   530 Time(s)

Shot-obconf.png

SFR

PostPosted: Fri 21 Apr 2017, 08:08    Post subject:  

bpuppy2 wrote:
Drive icons: i followed the steps mentioned and the mounted partition's icon is the plain one, w/o the green 'X' box in the left corner. I also tried the script you provided. See attached png. It then showed the icon with the green box but when i dismounted it, the icon did not refresh.

So this script works ok...
Could you please also try the original version of it?
Code:
/usr/sbin/fatdog-drive-icon-refresh-icon.sh /dev/sdXY

If the original works, too, the only workaround I can think of at the moment is this:

1. Save this as refresh_icons.patch:
Code:
--- /aufs/pup_ro/usr/sbin/fatdog-drive-icon-mount-helper.sh   2016-12-03 15:43:19.000000000 +0100
+++ /usr/sbin/fatdog-drive-icon-mount-helper.sh   2017-04-21 13:37:11.790533638 +0200
@@ -75,6 +75,7 @@
 esac; then
    EXIT_CODE=$?
    if [ $EXIT_CODE -eq 0 ]; then
+      fatdog-drive-icon-refresh-icon.sh "$1"   # SFR: force refreshing for all filesystems, not only NTFS
       if [ $(id -un) != $USER ]; then # change permissions if requester is not root
          chgrp $ACCESS_GROUP "$2"
          chmod $ACCESS_MODE "$2"

2. Execute this from within directory where refresh_icons.patch is:
Code:
patch /usr/sbin/fatdog-drive-icon-mount-helper.sh -i refresh_icons.patch

Does it solve the problem?

bpuppy2 wrote:
obconf in terminal:
The onyx themes do not update. The others do as far as windows are concerned. The menu colors, taskbar and bold font in the menu never updates and neither does the calendar colors.

First thing - all Onyx themes are almost identical.
And second thing is that the menu that you can see on preview images in obconf is the one that shows when you right-click a window's titlebar (and also the applications menu when you right-click the desktop).
The applications menu on the panel is a part of LxQt-Panel, so Qt5 applies there, not GTK nor Openbox.
And all colors and stuff are defined in /usr/share/lxqt/themes/<current_theme>/lxqt-panel.qss.

bpuppy2 wrote:
Time issue:
I did set all my puppies, ubuntu and windows to UTC time and now it works well in all OSes.
Some entries in the Messages file, still show a 4-hour difference even though they happened within a few minutes. Could syslogd be confused ?
Anyone else has this issue?
Could these wrong timestamps potentially create time critical issues... like crond missing my birthday? Smile ... or maybe i shouldn't worry about these timestamps Wink )

Hmm, just checked and some entries in my messages file are also few hours off. They're showing in UTC, to be exact.
I think I know what's the culprit here, but I need to consult with other guys.

bpuppy2 wrote:
Calendar:
I have not changed the QT theme (calendar) as i would not even know how or where to look for it. It still has bad weekdays colors.

Customizing the looks of Qt5 apps is a PITA...
Anyway, I found this little app: https://sourceforge.net/projects/qt5ct/.
Just install the attached package and add:
Code:
export QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct

to your ~/.fatdog/profile, then re-log .
Next: Menu -> Desktop -> Qt5 Settings and fiddle with fonts/styles; maybe this will help...

Greetings!
qt5ct-0.31-x86_64-1.txz.gz
Description  Remoe fake .gz extension!

MD5: 10dd71eaa5545e2edbcb1eeb5f719f98 qt5ct-0.31-x86_64-1.txz
gz

Download 
Filename  qt5ct-0.31-x86_64-1.txz.gz 
Filesize  157.25 KB 
Downloaded  14 Time(s) 

Keef

PostPosted: Fri 21 Apr 2017, 10:02    Post subject:  

@SFR

I tried the refresh_icons.patch, but no improvement.
Code:
/usr/sbin/fatdog-drive-icon-refresh-icon.sh /dev/sdXY

or restarting X will change the mounted/unmounted icon, but nothing else.
step

PostPosted: Fri 21 Apr 2017, 11:51    Post subject:  

@Mavrothal,

You asked, how to make a package dependent on the kernel version? I assume that you mean how to make the installation of a package dependent on the kernel version. Slapt doesn't provide a way to find out the kernel version, so I think we need to proceed in a round-about way; installing, checking the version, and uninstalling if the version is incorrect.
uname -r or busybox uname -r outputs the running kernel version. This command can be placed in install/doinst.sh, which slapt runs after all package files are installed, and before the installation is finished. This is better explained in step 3 of http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/faqs/pet-package.html (it's incorrect where it says that the package manager doesn't support an uninstall script like puninstall.sh - Fatdog64-710 does, but the script file name is slack-uninstall.sh).
An installed package can be uninstalled from the command line with slapt --remove <packagename>, for instance slapt --remove yad-0.36.3-x86_64-1 removes yad.
Putting it all together, doinst.sh could be
Code:

THIS_PACKAGE=<name>-<version>-x86_64-1 # fill in <name> and <version>
MIN_VERSION_MAJOR=<X> # fill in <X> actual required value here
MIN_VERSION_MINOR=<Y> # ditto <Y>
MIN_VERSION_SUB=<Z>   # ditto <Z>
x=`uname -r`
kversion=$x
kversion_major=${x%%.*} x=${x#*.}
kversion_minor=${x%%.*} kversion_rev=${x#*.}
if [ $kversion_major -ge $MIN_VERSION_MAJOR -a $kversion_minor -ge $MIN_VERSION_MINOR -a $kversion_sub -ge $MIN_VERSION_SUB ]; then
  echo "package is installed for the right kernel version $kversion"
  exit 0
fi
# Remove installation
echo "wrong kernel version $kversion, undoing installation..."
# Allow installation to complete, then uninistall.
( sleep 2; slapt-get --uninstall $THIS_PACKAGE ) &

This sample code is untested. If you find it useful, please let us know if it works for your case. Thank you.

SFR

PostPosted: Fri 21 Apr 2017, 14:27    Post subject:  

@Keef & Bpuppy:

Dr. Dan mentioned that the drive icons were working ok, until some point.
Was it broken from the very beginning for you two or just like in Dr. Dan's case?
Also, is it reproducible on fresh boot (with pfix=ram) and with a new savefile/folder?

Greetings!

mavrothal

PostPosted: Fri 21 Apr 2017, 15:38    Post subject:  

step wrote:

An installed package can be uninstalled from the command line with slapt --remove <packagename>, for instance slapt --remove yad-0.36.3-x86_64-1 removes yad.
Putting it all together, doinst.sh could be
Code:

<snip>
( sleep 2; slapt-get --uninstall $THIS_PACKAGE ) &

This sample code is untested. If you find it useful, please let us know if it works for your case. Thank you.

I had some trouble running the remove command in a sub-shell, so I ended up with this doinst.sh which appears to work
Code:
if [ "$(uname -r)" != "4.4.35" ]; then
   Xdialog --title "$(gettext 'Error')" --msgbox \
   "$(gettext 'This package is only for the 4.4.35 kernel. Will now uninstall it')" 0 0
   cat <<EOF>/tmp/removeFTpkg.sh
#!/bin/sh
sleep 10
slapt-get --remove -y facetimehd-0.1-x86_64-1
EOF
   chmod 755 /tmp/removeFTpkg.sh
   exec /tmp/removeFTpkg.sh &
   exit 1
else

Unrelated but still... Does the fbxkb package from the repo works for anyone?

Keef

PostPosted: Fri 21 Apr 2017, 17:58    Post subject:  

@SFR

Drive icons working properly on a fresh boot and after making a new save directory. I had done a small number of updates previously, so I went through these again. The drive mount/unmount icons stopped working after I upgraded util-linux. We may have a culprit...

EDIT

Just to be sure, rebooted with savefile=none.
Set up networking, and used the Fatdog system updater to update util-linux.
Ext3 partition no longer showed as mounted when clicked.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Fri 21 Apr 2017, 18:57    Post subject:  

Keef wrote:
Drive icons working properly on a fresh boot and after making a new save directory.

This should ALWAYS be your first trouble-shooting step before reporting a problem.
SFR

PostPosted: Fri 21 Apr 2017, 19:28    Post subject:  

Keef wrote:
The drive mount/unmount icons stopped working after I upgraded util-linux.

Ok, I can reproduce it now.
Fatdog, like other Pups, is using a wrapper script for mount/umount, so upgrading util-linux overwrote it (or rather symlinks to it) with binaries.
Where did you get it from, btw? Built by yourself? There's no newer version in the repo...
But, actually, even (re-)installing it from repo would break it in the same manner, as the wrapper is provided separately in fatdog-scripts package.

Anyway, if you don't want to start from scratch and this is the only breakage you've experienced, the fix would be:
Code:
cd /bin
mv mount mount-FULL
mv umount umount-FULL
ln -s fatdog-mount-wrapper.sh mount
ln -s fatdog-mount-wrapper.sh umount

@Bpuppy & Dr. Dan: DO NOT apply the above code, unless you've also upgraded util-linux.

Greetings!

bpuppy2

PostPosted: Fri 21 Apr 2017, 20:09    Post subject:  

Drive icons:
The patch did not fix it. Attached feedback of the patch.
Starting Fatdog w/o savefile works fine for the drive icons.
I did not update the util-linux package. The original is in place.

Calendar and bold font in menu [SOLVED]:
Thanks for the QT tweaks script. Like you say all i have to do is fiddle with it and analyze my GTK theme. Thanks.

As you see, the list is getting shorter Smile
Great job guys!

@rcrsn51:
Great idea. I'll put that on top of my troubleshooting method next time.
drive_patch.png
 Description   
 Filesize   11.85 KB
 Viewed   307 Time(s)

drive_patch.png

dr. Dan

PostPosted: Fri 21 Apr 2017, 21:22    Post subject:  

Watching and waiting. Of my three computers running Fatdog64, only one of them has the drive icon issue. While I can see that this is not a full solution, would re-installing fatdog-scripts solve the issue for me? (I'm not currently at that machine, but I'll try it later just for fun.)

Now for a more important issue. This laptop doesn't seem happy about saving to my save folder.
According to the properties option, fd64save = 1903M. It is set up as a save folder.
According to GParted: sda2 = 7.11GiB, Used = 6.72GiB, is boot partition, ext2 flash drive, mount points /aufs/devsave, /aufs/pup_save. sda1=7.91GiB, contains nearly all of my personal files other than e-mail data, fat32.
From Graphical Disk Map, devsave contains fd64save, /boot, one .sfs file, and a small number of other files. pup_save seems to contain everything in fd64save, but none of the rest. They are both 1.78GiB. pup_rw contains a copy of /root, which is also in fd64save and pup_save.
When my savefile is updated every 1/2 hour, it bogs down the system, then warns me that my savefile is full. Am I doing something wrong? Why is there so much duplication?
As always, I am grateful for the knowledge of the creators of FD64!!!
Keef

PostPosted: Sat 22 Apr 2017, 03:57    Post subject:  

@SFR

As I mentioned above, I used the Fatdog system updater (via the Control Panel) to update util-linux. It is listed as an available update. Thing is, I don't usually bother with updates unless I know of a good reason. Anyway, I started from scratch again, and all is as it should be.
SFR

PostPosted: Sat 22 Apr 2017, 04:51    Post subject:  

Keef wrote:
As I mentioned above, I used the Fatdog system updater (via the Control Panel) to update util-linux. It is listed as an available update. Thing is, I don't usually bother with updates unless I know of a good reason. Anyway, I started from scratch again, and all is as it should be.

Oh, I missed that edit, sorry.
So, effectively you just re-installed the same version of util-linux.
From what I see in fatdog-updater.sh it picks packages with newer date, not version.
And only these pkgs are excluded:
Code:
EXCLUDES="^aaa-.*|^fatdog-scripts|^fatdog-bins|^glibc$|^xorg-server$"

I guess util-linux should be on that list, too.

bpuppy2 wrote:
The patch did not fix it. Attached feedback of the patch.

Yes, it fails for me, too, if I copy/paste it from the forum - some thing with whitespaces most likely, adding '-l' switch to patch command fixes that.
I attached already patched script, though. Goes to /usr/sbin.

bpuppy2 wrote:
I did not update the util-linux package. The original is in place.

And what about using fatdog-updater?
To ensure, you can just check if /bin/mount and /bin/umount are symlinks (good) or binaries (wrong).

dr. Dan wrote:
While I can see that this is not a full solution, would re-installing fatdog-scripts solve the issue for me? (I'm not currently at that machine, but I'll try it later just for fun.)

Well, it could break the system in some unexpected ways. This package is blocked in Gslapt for a reason.

dr. Dan wrote:
Now for a more important issue. This laptop doesn't seem happy about saving to my save folder.
According to the properties option, fd64save = 1903M. It is set up as a save folder.
According to GParted: sda2 = 7.11GiB, Used = 6.72GiB, is boot partition, ext2 flash drive, mount points /aufs/devsave, /aufs/pup_save. sda1=7.91GiB, contains nearly all of my personal files other than e-mail data, fat32.
From Graphical Disk Map, devsave contains fd64save, /boot, one .sfs file, and a small number of other files. pup_save seems to contain everything in fd64save, but none of the rest. They are both 1.78GiB. pup_rw contains a copy of /root, which is also in fd64save and pup_save.
When my savefile is updated every 1/2 hour, it bogs down the system, then warns me that my savefile is full. Am I doing something wrong? Why is there so much duplication?
As always, I am grateful for the knowledge of the creators of FD64!!!

pup_save is merely a mountpoint for fd64save.
pup_rw is a ram layer that keeps all the changes to root (/) filesystem, until saved.

Hard to tell what's going on here...
What if you execute snapmergepuppy from terminal? Any errors?

Greetings!
fatdog-drive-icon-mount-helper.sh.tar.gz
Description  MD5: d73e6f8285353c27f0be4a60b65795e8 fatdog-drive-icon-mount-helper.sh.tar.gz
gz

Download 
Filename  fatdog-drive-icon-mount-helper.sh.tar.gz 
Filesize  1.46 KB 
Downloaded  17 Time(s) 

rufwoof

PostPosted: Sat 22 Apr 2017, 10:08    Post subject:  

Dropped the iso into a VirtualBox and booted. Painfully slow to boot, perhaps a couple of minutes of dots before finally seeing a desktop (I know that's down to huge initrd, but other new users might not be patient enough and simply think something went wrong and reboot).

Added a VB HDD and ran the install program. Didn't work (had to recreate a GPT using gparted first). Re-ran the install program after creating GPT and formatting and it worked OK.

Clicked initrd to open it up, moved fd64.sfs to / and used the rebuild initrd script.

Rebooted .. to command prompt (tried xwin, startx ...etc after logging in as root using woofwoof password, but they didn't work either).

Removed from VirtualBox Sad

Tried booting the iso using qemu-kvm .... with no luck

I've used FD in the past and found it to be very good. The off-put for me is no rolling releases - having to ditch prior versions and changes to have to reinstall afresh and try and remember how to re-do all of the changes made.

Haven't read the entire thread maybe this review has already been mentioned.

Sorry guys. I appreciate the effort involved and could just politely have remained quiet. Sometimes however critique can be a positive and that is my intent here (I'm most certainly not having a dig).
step

PostPosted: Sat 22 Apr 2017, 12:40    Post subject:  

@mavrothal,

Thank you, I'm glad you got it working.

@rufwoof,

Your constructive feedback is most welcome. Giant initrd slow boot time issues periodically come up in Fatdog threads, and you are right, it can be slow. Fatdog is optimized for frugal install on a hard disk, which is considered the most common case. Booting is fast in that case, and packaging the giant initrd has some support benefits (we have historical evidence in Fatdog64 support threads from 2011-2012).

With the inception of cheap USB flash memory, more and more people frugal install Fatdog to USB keys. Unfortunately, some older computers load from USB with slow BIOS calls, so they take a long time to boot Fatdog's giant initrd. The only cure (besides getting a new computer) is to split initrd with fatdog-split-initrd.sh. Once this is done, booting from USB is fast. CD/DVD booting can also be slow, very slow. Both scenarios aren't considered the most common case, but perhaps we should acknowledge that USB flash memory is becoming more common.

Running fatdog.iso with qemu. Does the attached script work for you? It is taken from the Fatdog ISO builder. Delete the fake .gz extension. Put it in the same folder with fatdog.iso and execute it.
runiso.sh.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  runiso.sh.gz 
Filesize  868 Bytes 
Downloaded  9 Time(s) 

Page 26 of 39 [583 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, ..., 37, 38, 39 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: