Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 24 May 2017, 04:21
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
FirefoxESR-52 in Slacko32 won't let me download anything
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
belham2

PostPosted: Tue 18 Apr 2017, 08:29    Post subject:  FirefoxESR-52 in Slacko32 won't let me download anything
Subject description: Says folder is write-protected

Hi all,

Any browser gurus hanging around? Have installed the latest FirefoxESR-52.0.2, 32-bit, in this Slacko32 woof-CE (Kernel 4.1.1) build I just built the other day. The build and Firefox all works great, except for Firefox when I go to download anything from anywhere, the pic below is what I get. I've put FF in and also taken it out of, "spot-status", problem still persists. Do we have to enter something in the FF exec file (like we do in Chrome), perhaps a "--user-data-directory" or something? If so, what exactly to enter and where?? Also, plz know the pup build is fine because I tested latest Palemoon and an older FF 45 ESR version, and both work (downloaded) without a problem. I just want to get this new FF-ESR working, and can't as of yet figure out how to do it....

Thanks for any help and/or hints:
FirefoxESR-52.0.2-32bit-unable-to-download-anything-permission-problem.png
 Description   
 Filesize   119.39 KB
 Viewed   155 Time(s)

FirefoxESR-52.0.2-32bit-unable-to-download-anything-permission-problem.png

Moose On The Loose

PostPosted: Tue 18 Apr 2017, 09:31    Post subject: Re: The new FirefoxESR-52-series & downloading  

belham2 wrote:
Hi all,

Any browser gurus hanging around? Have installed the latest FirefoxESR-52.0.2, 32-bit, in this Slacko32 woof-CE (Kernel 4.1.1) build I just built the other day. The build and Firefox all works great, except for Firefox when I go to download anything from anywhere, the pic below is what I get.

Can you right click and do the "Save Link as" function?

Try some directories if it fails try:

Make a new directory (or perhaps do it to an old one)

Code:

chmod 777 the-name-of-the-directory

See if it works.
Then you can set the preferences to point the default at a directory that works.
belham2

PostPosted: Tue 18 Apr 2017, 13:03    Post subject: Re: The new FirefoxESR-52-series & downloading  

Moose On The Loose wrote:
belham2 wrote:
Hi all,

Any browser gurus hanging around? Have installed the latest FirefoxESR-52.0.2, 32-bit, in this Slacko32 woof-CE (Kernel 4.1.1) build I just built the other day. The build and Firefox all works great, except for Firefox when I go to download anything from anywhere, the pic below is what I get.

Can you right click and do the "Save Link as" function?

Try some directories if it fails try:

Make a new directory (or perhaps do it to an old one)

Code:

chmod 777 the-name-of-the-directory

See if it works.
Then you can set the preferences to point the default at a directory that works.

Hi Moose,

Nope, none of that worked. Tried old and new directories, chmod all of them, nothing works. This new Firefox throws up the same error message no matter what. AFAIK, this Firefox52-ESR is what comes standard now (included) in any woof-CE build that anyone does for Slacko 32 and 64 6.9.6.4-versions (the very latest). I can't be the only one seeing this, am I? Has no one else attempted any recent Slacko 32 and/or 64-bit builds in the past 10-12 days, using any kernel. and not had this download permissions problem with this new FF-ESR 52-version?

Sailor E., where the heck are you?? I know you were fooling with this past week or two, and fooling with the FF52-ESR...are you not also seeing this???

Or anyone else doing builds and/or using FF52-ESR? Does FF52-ESR work in any other build distro besides Slacko? Boy, if it does, this will be the final nail in the coffin (for me) concerning anything further to do with Slacko. Evil or Very Mad
watchdog

PostPosted: Tue 18 Apr 2017, 15:57    Post subject:  

I have not this problem in slacko64-6.9.6.4 and slacko-6.9.6.4 with recent builds by SailorEnceladus at:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=950748#950748

slacko64-6.9.6.4_r4959c.iso

and

slacko-6.9.6.4_r4864.iso

Try a build with last woof-ce.
Sailor Enceladus

PostPosted: Tue 18 Apr 2017, 20:15    Post subject:  

heehee I uploaded another tonight with kernel 3.16.43. Didn't test it yet, will see tomorrow if the Firefox blows up too Laughing
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: