Network wizard Beta version for testers

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
rarsa

Network wizard Beta version for testers

#1 Post by rarsa »

NOTE: the latest version of the wizard is the stable version

This version should be Stable and hopefully bug free but you first try the latest stable version.

If this test version has a feature you need you are highly encouraged to test it as adding features and fixing bugs is only possible if there is people testing.

You don't need to be an expert or "official tester" to test Actually the newer you are to puppy or even to linux in general is better in certain cases.

If a feature you need is not on the stable version on in this one, feel free to add it to the Network wizard wish list

I'm posting these packages here because I think that the "Additional software" forum should be just for true and tried software.

Excuse the UI but that was the best I could do with the gtkdialog limitations. I will use a decent UI toolkit for the next release of the wizard. (You'll be blown away ;) )

Anyway, the UI shuld be quite usable

Change Log
========================
Version 2.15-1 (Feb 24, 2007)
- Fixed regular expresion to validate WPA hex key.
It was not accepting upper case leters and it allowed keys > 64
========================
Version 2.14-9 (Feb 16, 2007)
- Increased wait after bringing down old wpa_supplicants to allow for proper shutdown
- Reorganized delays and restarted supplicant after setting selected parameters.
- Don't bring interface down before reaquiring DHCP.
- Replace space with underscore for profile names to fix bug for profiles with spaces.
- Show correct profile name after saving a change.
========================
Version 2.14-8 (Feb 11, 2007)
- Only kill wpa processes for selected interface when starting it up.
========================
Version 2.14-7 (Feb 11, 2007)
- Cleaned debug output
========================
Version 2.14-6 (Feb 7, 2007)
- Display signal strenght for scanned wireless networks
- Barry's fix for modules with -
========================
Version 2.14-5 (Feb 7, 2007)
- Added Few debugging capabilities
========================
Version 2.14-4 (Feb 7, 2007)
- Added WPA support through the WPA supplicant
- Added Advanced fields button
========================
Version 2.14-3 (Jan 22, 2007)
- Populate the Static IP fields with the current network parameters
- Fixed bug where save confirmation was not shown uppon successfull completion
of static IP configuration

Version 2.14-2 (Jan 21, 2007)
- Created a window where to write all the Static IP parameters instead of jumping from window to window.
- Remembers the parameters entered in case there is an error the user just needs to modify what's wrong.
- Added an entry for a secondary DNS server
- Expanded the help to include explanations for the static IP window

Version 2.14 (Jan 13, 2007)
- Fix problem saving module parameters (quotes around response and $1)
- Fix bug loading ndiswrapper drivers
- Do not blank wireless fields after saving a profile
- Add more "please wait" popups between windows to provide feedback to the user
- Added a help page

Version 2.12
- integrated wag
- integrated ndiswrapper
- Show all drivers loaded using the wizard

Version 0.3
- moved testing of the interface to the configuration page
- Added TOPMSG to the configuration screen
- Differentiate in TOPMSG between a failed configuration and a cancelled one

Version 0.2
- Fixed bug from 0.1 (not returning to the main page after configuration)
- Fixed bug from original (not showing red screen if manual configuration failed)

So, less talk and more action:

I present you...

The puppyfied version of the supplicant!
It has the minimum required for the wizard to manage the supplicant appropriatelly (wpa_supplicant, wpa_cli, wpa_passphrase).
It installs to /usr/bin.

The network wizard!
It now requires the wpa_supplicant to process WPA.

Enjoy
Attachments
wpa_supplicant-0.5.7-1.pup
(136.5 KiB) Downloaded 1192 times
Last edited by rarsa on Sat 24 Feb 2007, 12:44, edited 7 times in total.
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

caka

#2 Post by caka »

rarsa thanks for your job.

I would like to try your new version off the "Network Wizard", but I don know if it will run in Puppy 2.12.

Can I instal it in Puppy 2.12?.

rarsa

#3 Post by rarsa »

I haven't tried in older versions of Puppy.

Well, I started testing in a 2.02 installation but there were some libraries missing (libssl, libcrypto). It was late at night and I decided to go to bed and continue testing today.

You can sure try and let me know if it works, I think that puppy has the required libraries since 2.10.

In any event, the current wizard is uninstalable and backs up your current wpa_supplicant.config file in case you need to go back.

WEP and open should be unaffected. the functionality should be the same.

paulh177

#4 Post by paulh177 »

First tries with wpa:

1. Puppy2.13 full hd install /Broadcom 43xx
This doesn't work as 2.13 doesn't support BCM43xx natively ?

2. Puppy2.12 usb pendrive boot/Intel 945abg
This doesn't work for apparently two reasons:
a) netwiz does not seem to load /sbin/ipw3945d so netwiz can't see active eth0. If I manually load /sbin/ipw3945d, netwiz sees it, but:
b) then in the wireless netwiz my 64char hex key does not seem to be recognised -- netwiz always tells me it is required. I have tried leading it with 0x but that doesn't work either.

It is perfectly possible that I am doing something wrong :shock:

paul

rarsa

#5 Post by rarsa »

paulh177 wrote:1. Puppy2.13 full hd install /Broadcom 43xx
This doesn't work as 2.13 doesn't support BCM43xx natively ?
Good point. Before testing WPA-PSK/TKPI make sure that you can connect using an open or WEP connection. In that regard, the wizard will work exactly as it was working before, and if the driver is not available... well, the wizard cannot use it, can it?
paulh177 wrote:a) netwiz does not seem to load /sbin/ipw3945d so netwiz can't see active eth0. If I manually load /sbin/ipw3945d, netwiz sees it, but:
Can you please explain step by step what you are tyring "can't see" does not tell me much. Have you tried loading the module using the "Load module" button?
paulh177 wrote:b) then in the wireless netwiz my 64char hex key does not seem to be recognised -- netwiz always tells me it is required. I have tried leading it with 0x but that doesn't work either.
Again, step by step of what you are doing and what the wizard is showing. As far as I remember there is no message saying "The key does not seem to be recognized" :)
paulh177 wrote:It is perfectly possible that I am doing something wrong :shock:
I won't know until you tell me what you are doing :)

With the information requested above I'll be able to diagnose the problem.

Thank you for your report.

PFarkas

WPA vs WPA2

#6 Post by PFarkas »

Thanks a bunch for integrating the wpa_supplicant fields into the network wizard.

It looks very promising!

I downloaded it and tried it out but no worky. Unfortunately, the wizard isn't at all verbose about what's going on, and I've been pretty well challenged to figure out my difficulty.

WPA and WPA2 are different, and if your router is using WPA2, then so must your nics. This was my problem - I've been trying to make a Cisco Aironet 350 (WPA only) work with a WPA2 enabled router.

I anticipate that other people may have similar problems, and would suggest some changes to the wizard to help:

- some sort of troubleshooting mode where output is logged for later review.
- some sort of confirmation that the driver being used for wireless supports WPA or WPA2 and reports this condition to the user, or perhaps some way for the wizard to report the featureset that's been detected.
- greater distinction between WPA and WPA2 in the Wizard. AES/CCMP are only available with WPA2 and replace TKIP.

Here's a link that speaks briefly about the differences between WPA and WPA2: http://seclists.org/firewall-wizards/2004/Dec/0140.html

And, if anyone is curious, a "WPA, WPA2, AND IEEE 802.11I overview" and what Cisco has to say about why WPA cards like my 350 won't ever work with a WPA2 router that's in native WPA2 mode. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/ ... 3e59.shtml

topaz

#7 Post by topaz »

have you tried this

in console type iwconfig
if wlan0 is active
right click on desktop , new script
open script as text
add
#!/bin/sh
iwconfig wlan0 essid xxxx channel xx key xxxxxxxxx
if [ -e /etc/dhcpc/*.pid ]; then
rm /etc/dhcpc/*.pid
fi
dhcpcd -t 5 -d wlan0

may work tell me the result

yours David G

xxxxxx being your info

save file

left click to run script
Thin Client, 1gb ram, atom duel 1.7, pup precise Fruga flash drive

paulh177

#8 Post by paulh177 »

rarsa wrote:With the information requested above I'll be able to diagnose the problem.
OK this is best I can offer as i'm tired, not well and ready to hit the sack :cry:

Puppy 212,USB,Intel 945abg

Setup->Connect to Internet by Network Interface
"Puppy has done a quick check ... Here they are: 3c59x 8139too"
Those are hangovers from other pcs as i carry this usb key around place to place
"Puppy Does not see any active ethernet interfaces"
Click "Load Driver" -> scroll down to ipw3945, highlight and click OK ->
"module ipw3945 has loaded" -> click OK
"Puppy has done a quick check ... Here they are: 3c59x 8139too ipw3945"
"Puppy Does not see any active ethernet interfaces"
Click Exit

Now if I start a rxvt and type /sbin/ipw3945d <cr> it launches the daemon. now I again go:
Setup->Connect to Internet by Network Interface
"Puppy sees 1 active ethernet interface ..."
Click eth0 -> click Wireless -> click WPA/TKIP
Name: Testy
ESSID: XxxXxxxxxx
Shared Key: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Click Save
"Puppy network Wizard . Shared key must be either - alphanumeric betwen 8 and 63 characters or - 64 characters hexadecimal" -> Click OK
Puppy_network_setup now reloads displaying all details just entered.

hth

g'night

paul

tempestuous

Re: WPA vs WPA2

#9 Post by tempestuous »

Now that PFarkas has mentioned WPA2, we need to address this issue. There are MANY different forms of WPA encryption. They fall into the categories of WPA/WPA2 (TKIP/AES), and sub-categories Personal/Enterprise (PSK/EAP). wpa_supplicant supports every type, via different settings in the configuration file.

There's no way that rarsa's wizard can accommodate all the different possible configurations, but we really should accommodate basic PSK-WPA2.
I think (??) that the configuration change is quite simple; to /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf add "CCMP" to the "pairwwise" and "group" lines. It would look like this -

pairwise=TKIP CCMP
group=TKIP CCMP

Of course, now we need someone to test WPA2. PFarkas, do you have access to a WPA2-capable wifi card?
PFarkas wrote:.. or perhaps some way for the wizard to report the featureset that's been detected.
That's not possible. There's no way that wpa_supplicant (or any other utility) can determine the precise form of encryption used. It's up to the user to know what settings their Access Point uses.

rarsa

#10 Post by rarsa »

Unfortunately, the wizard isn't at all verbose about what's going on
This is by design. Most people complain when UIs are too verbose, but... keep reading
Apparently WPA and WPA2 are different, and if your router is using WPA2, then so must your nics. This was my problem - I've been trying to make a Cisco Aironet 350 work with a WPA2 enabled router.
This is a good point. I tried to be VERY SPECIFIC calling the encryption button WPA/TKIP

As my email says also explicitly this version only WPA-PSK/TKIP

I will work on clarifying the capabilities when I rewrite the wizard using a decent UI toolkit. (gtkdialog is horrible to work with)
- some sort of troubleshooting mode where output is logged for later review.
Done!
execute the network wizard from the command console (net-setup.sh). That's exactly how I test and debug .
- some sort of confirmation that the driver being used for wireless supports WPA or WPA2 and reports this condition to the user
I'll do it if someone tells me how to find out in a way that's generic to all (or most) drivers. Here I can only assume that the user knows his card capabilities.
- greater distinction between WPA and WPA2 in the Wizard. AES/CCMP are only available with WPA2 and replace TKIP.
see above
Here's a quick link that speaks about the differences between WPA and WPA2: http://seclists.org/firewall-wizards/20 ... ml[quote]I hadn't implemented WPA because I didn't have time to understand it. Now I've read the documentation and for the most part understand what the different standards are. I decided to implement WPA-PSK/TKPI first as it is the one most people uses.

I am of the mindset that you release fully working, stable versions quickly and start adding features after that (http://www.agilealliance.org/), That way you can get early feedback (thank you) instead of waiting for a big bang release.
Finally, if you can suggest an inexpensive PCMCIA nic that plays nicely with WPA2, I'd really appreciate it.
[/quote]I'd say... Google

PFarkas

#11 Post by PFarkas »

PFarkas wrote:
.. or perhaps some way for the wizard to report the featureset that's been detected.
That's not possible. There's no way that wpa_supplicant (or any other utility) can determine the precise form of encryption used. It's up to the user to know what settings their Access Point uses.
I regret that I was unclear.

I was NOT trying to suggest that the wizard indicate to the user what form of encryption was in use, but rather that the wizard indicate what forms of encryption are supported by the nic.

Can't that largely be figured out by looking at the output from iwconfig or stuffing potentially wrong values into the wpa_supplicant.conf and parsing the output? I know wpa-connect was generating errors that indicated "mode not supported" when I was trying to do WPA2 with non-supporting hardware.

It would be perfectly reasonable to expect people buying new nics (and computers and video cards and all that) to be able to determine the capabilities of recently purchased hardware.

I would expect most people setting up a new wireless network to purchase a new router and be able to determine unambiguously the encryption capabilities of the device.

The problem I see coming is new users using old wireless network hardware (old hardware is Puppy's target demographic, right?) with new routers.

Of course, now we need someone to test WPA2. PFarkas, do you have access to a WPA2-capable wifi card?
I have an Intel 2200BG in my 700m, and I'd be happy to test with it.

I can do WEP, WPA, and WPA2 at the router (WRT54GL) and the nic, but not the "enterprise" variants as I do not have a RADIUS server configured.

rarsa

#12 Post by rarsa »

tempestuous wrote:There are MANY different forms of WPA encryption... There's no way that rarsa's wizard can accommodate all the different possible configurations
Actually it could, but it is not very time effective. it only becomes effective if the time it takes me to write the wizard is substantially less than the sum of the times of the people that require option X or Y
but we really should accommodate basic PSK-WPA2.
This is the first version. I actually need people to test WPA-PSK/TKIP. That's it. It does not support anything else. It does not bake cakes either.

I am really surprised. I opened another thread asking people to tell me what configurations they have and just very few people responded. So I first implemented what Tempestuous indicated was the most common configuration. Later I (or someone else) can keep adding to the implementation. (see my previous post in this thread).

If you can test the wizard as requested WPA-PSK/TKIP I will be able to iron the bugs there and move on to the next feature.

If you have specific requests not covered in this version of the wizard, you can always add them to the "Network wizard wish list" thread. Yes, it is a populatiry contest. the most popular features may get implemented first.

Thank you,

rarsa

#13 Post by rarsa »

And after all this...

There hasn't been a single person that has tested what I've asked to test

With all the requests I got to implement WPA in the wizard I would have thought that there would be at least a few testers.

I really didn't need to write the wizard for myself.

PaulBx1

#14 Post by PaulBx1 »

Well, give us some time, rarsa. You've just put the thing up! :)

This is my first try ever with the network wizard on wireless.

I tried with puppy 213. I plugged in my Netgear WG511T pcmcia card, the wizard didn't detect it. I looked in the list of drivers and could not see the native driver for this card (madwifi) so I tried "auto" and got several false positives (e.g. 3c59x, 8139cp, 8139too). I then tried ndiswrapper. That asked for the inf file which is back in Oregon so I was screwed there (I had used that beta wifi dotpup before Puppy 212 broke my wireless connection).

OK, so I tried plugging in a Belkin USB dongle. That required a zd1211b driver, which also was not on the list. I tried the 1211 but no go.

Sorry, I never got to the stage of configuring the WPA stuff.

It was a long and painful grind to get my first wireless running, only to have it broken by Puppy 212. I will try to work with you again on this when I can get hold of needed resources, or even go out and buy yet another wireless card or dongle. But it's not going to happen tomorrow. I'm just happy to have any connection at all, with this ethernet connection.

<later>

I went out and got the netw511 driver from the netgear site, and used that for the ndiswrapper install. After it installed you must have a "ndiswrapper -l" command, because this is what I saw:

Code: Select all

sh-3.00# ndiswrapper -l
2802w : driver installed
airplus : driver installed
bcmwl5 : driver installed
bcmwl5a : driver installed
gplus : driver installed
mrv8k51 : driver installed
mrv8ka51 : driver installed
net8180 : driver installed
neta3ab : driver installed
        device (168C:0013) present (alternate driver: ath_pci)
netadm11 : driver installed
netdlwl : driver installed
netw511 : driver installed
        device (168C:0013) present (alternate driver: ath_pci)
ntpr11ab : driver installed
rt2500 : driver installed
w22n51 : driver installed
w70n51 : driver installed
So the old wifi-1.0.4-beta-2 dotpup was still in there. :? I tried to find a way to uninstall it but it was not on the petget list of installed things. So now I have two drivers supposedly talking to this card, but the thing still does not show up as detected in the wizard. Also I notice it says there is an alternate driver, ath_pci which I recall you did have in the wizard; maybe I should try it. But I would probably need to get rid of these other drivers somehow.

It's still not an idiot-proof process.

paulh177

#15 Post by paulh177 »

rarsa wrote:And after all this...There hasn't been a single person that has tested what I've asked to test
what exactly have i done rarsa that is not testing wpa?
(if you tell me I will try my best to be more helpful)
paul
Last edited by paulh177 on Tue 06 Feb 2007, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.

barriew

#16 Post by barriew »

Rarsa,

Tried to test without success. I am using WPA-PSK/TKIP, and I believe the equipment and module do support this encryption mode.
A question though - my router requires an ASCII key. You say you convert an ASCII key to HEX, but should I just enter the ASCII characters into Wizard, or do I need to indicate they are ASCII?

Barrie

NB I dont really need WPA - just testing for you.

rarsa

#17 Post by rarsa »

I aplologize for the big letters, I was a little bit tired yesterday.

rarsa

#18 Post by rarsa »

barriew wrote:You say you convert an ASCII key to HEX, but should I just enter the ASCII characters into Wizard, or do I need to indicate they are ASCII?
Based on my reading and my testing here is the scoop:

If you set up an ASCII Key on the router, you can configure your addapter with either that ASCII key or with a properly generated HEX key.

The HEX key gets generated from the SSID and the ASCII key.

I tested this so it should not be a problem.

I forgot to ask people to execute the script from the command line so they can report on what they see in the screen.

Tonight I will upload a new version that fixes something that I broke in the current version (Scanning networks and Deleting profiles) and I will include more debugging code.

I appreciate your help. From my point of view, testing is as valuable or more than the actual development.

Thank you,

PaulBx1

#19 Post by PaulBx1 »

I moved my non-WPA testing questions about the wizard here.

rarsa

#20 Post by rarsa »

During my testing I found two broken things:

- Scanning is not working.
- Deleting an existing Profile is not working.

I've fixed both issues and will upload the update later today.