Updating Firefox

Booting, installing, newbie
ms2542ml

Updating Firefox

#1 Post by ms2542ml »

Hi,

I'm using Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 and I was wondering if there was a way to upgrade Firefox to whatever the current version is. It seems to work fine but it would be nice to have the most updated version.

I was able to goto "help" and then it did an update check and it DID download an update but when done installing a message came up and said that the system I was using was outdated.

So, my question is:

Is it necessary to update to Firefox version 50? If not, I'll just leave it as is.

Thank you

Burn_IT

#2 Post by Burn_IT »

You can use the update feature built into Firefox itself - though they have stopped updating it for Linux and it will tell you when you have the latest one they did.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

8Geee

#3 Post by 8Geee »

Just curious from what version you are upgrading from?

Some of the more recent versions though patched, have swollen in size greatly.
For example migrating from FF27 --> 45.8 increased storage size by 25Mb, and includes loop (Hello) and Pocket that are A.) complex, B.) contain advertisement links, and C.) expose the end-user needlessly. Regarding those things, FireFox really needs to be configured, and BTW there are STILL calls to insecure SSL/TLS algorithms that need to be cancelled like a stamp.

regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

mikeslr

Can it be in Lupu - If not perhaps special build of Palemoon

#4 Post by mikeslr »

Hi ms2542ml,

I'm not sure if Lupu 5.2.8 --even Lupu 5.2.8.7-- has graphic libraries (glibs) new enough to support recent firefoxes.

But, if it doesn't, perhaps you should try the special build of Palemoon you'll find here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 200#948200. Palemoon is a fork of firefox which can use many of firefox's addons. Watchdog's special build --based I believe on the work of ac2011-- includes and uses glib's so as not to interfere with the older glibs required by applications builtin to Puppies.

The link to the palemoon pet is the last link on the post,

mikesLr

ms2542ml

#5 Post by ms2542ml »

Thank you for the info everyone. I'm traveling so I can't give you which version of Firefox I upgraded from. I think version 45 but don't hold me to that. When I get home, I'll let you know.

Sailor Enceladus

#6 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

ms2542ml wrote:Thank you for the info everyone. I'm traveling so I can't give you which version of Firefox I upgraded from. I think version 45 but don't hold me to that. When I get home, I'll let you know.
If you were on Firefox 45esr I wouldn't bother upgrading. In Slacko 6.3.2, the Firefox 52esr crashes sometimes when you put your cursor inside pull-down menus. This does not happen for me in 45esr, or Slacko 6.9.6.4 with it's Firefox 52esr though.

realwigums

stronly suggest keeping firefox up to date

#7 Post by realwigums »

firefox (or any browser for that matter)is THE largest security problem for anyone regardless of OS. i always end up being the maintainer for firefox packages on whatever distro project i happen to be working on.

firefox issues its security and bug fixes as a new version of firefox.

my point being is that yes you do NEED to update to the latest firefox if you want to be secure
anything prior to the current firefox version is mostly riddled with holes and security issues.

a great resource for known security issues is the slackware security mailing list.

http://www.slackware.com/lists/

and here is an URL that you can look through and see all the firefox issues over the years. like i said when they issue a new version its usually a security issue

http://www.slackware.com/security/

also mozillas firefox security advisories
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/ ... s/firefox/

slavvo67

#8 Post by slavvo67 »

While I agree that Firefox has more holes than Swiss Cheese (except for those cheap American brands that don't have many holes LOL), I believe you can reasonably do a check with websites such as howsmyssl.com and see if there's a reasonable expectation of security, even with an older version.

Seems like in many cases, you just need to go into about:config and deactivate certain items found to be unsafe.

Anyway, with all the Firefox nonsense (ie sound issues, updates every other week, etc.), lately, I'm trashing it and... I can't believe that I'm actually writing this but I'm going back to Palemoon. Looks like they ironed out quite a few issues that I initially reported on.... and they have an updater that appears to be working again... With an older Firefox engine (Firefox 28, I believe) it has much less bulk than Firefox, too. The only downside is that some add-ons don't work but I don't use them anyway...

Slavvo67

realwigums

#9 Post by realwigums »

i have to disagree.if firefox just needed to turn off features to stay secure
you wouoldnt have any functionality. also if you read through their security advisories https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/security/ ... s/firefox/ youd see its not as simple as just deactivating some settings

also ssl isnt the only thing that protects you. in fact it doesnt protect your box at all... its for sending/recieving encrypted passwords and such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browser_security

edit:
mozilla doesnt send out patches for security issues like other software vendors... they fix it (hopefully) and issue a new point release. thats why they go through so many versions so fast... fixing security issues

if you still choose to use an older ver of firefox at the very least run it in a sandbox. turn off java support, dont use flash (most of this applies to all versions of any browser really) etc etc

its not my intent to be argumentative..... i just dont wanna see anyone "get hurt" out there on the web

Sailor Enceladus

#10 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

slavvo67 wrote:Anyway, with all the Firefox nonsense (ie sound issues, updates every other week, etc.), lately, I'm trashing it and... I can't believe that I'm actually writing this but I'm going back to Palemoon. Looks like they ironed out quite a few issues that I initially reported on.... and they have an updater that appears to be working again... With an older Firefox engine (Firefox 28, I believe) it has much less bulk than Firefox, too. The only downside is that some add-ons don't work but I don't use them anyway...
I always think that then I end up going back to Firefox for one reason or another. Palemoon is based on Firefox 24esr. ;)

8Geee

#11 Post by 8Geee »

Hopefully, theres upgrades to TLS, that were not present in FF24. In fact FF27 is the first Fox that supports TLS secure negotiation, and fortunately TLS1.2. Its also the smallest and least secure of all the remaining updates. But as previous posted, get rid of Java and Flash, and don't let Fox's own pdfjs run the show. Thats at least a start.

JMHO
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

slavvo67

#12 Post by slavvo67 »

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I do not use Java nor Flash. They have more holes than even Firefox has.

I always tried to have at least one of the big 3 browsers on my computer (Chrome, Firefox or at the time, IE). Now, the latest Iron, latest Seamonkey and I guess back to Palemoon. Guess that's enough browsers...

Moose On The Loose

Re: Updating Firefox

#13 Post by Moose On The Loose »

ms2542ml wrote:Hi,

I'm using Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 and I was wondering if there was a way to upgrade Firefox to whatever the current version is. It seems to work fine but it would be nice to have the most updated version.

I was able to goto "help" and then it did an update check and it DID download an update but when done installing a message came up and said that the system I was using was outdated.

So, my question is:

Is it necessary to update to Firefox version 50? If not, I'll just leave it as is.

Thank you
I use FF31 on puppy-528. It is the last version of FF that appeared to be bug free. At some point they changed (QT IIRC) libraries and when the thing updated its self, the new copy would not even start. They did an extended support version at that point which used the older QT libraries but I found that it was buggy. It appears that they added some new bugs just before they made that split.

I use Custom User Agent String 0.1.1 to do
"Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0"

This stops the websites that are so messed up that they only work with a few web browser versions from barking that I am using an old version and that I absolutely must upgrade to be able to used their site.

Some others complain and then carry on but if you fix the issue for the really messed up even the "whine and carry on" sites don't whine.

I don't use chrome because I discovered that it crashes on a slow network. It appears that there is a hard coded timeout somewhere. When I travel this is an issue so I made my home system