MiniDLNA media server

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
trapster

#61 Post by trapster »

Code: Select all

minidlna
should work in a terminal if installed correctly.

If it's installed, see where it's installed with this in a terminal

which minidlna
If it returns

/usr/bin/minidlna
try that in a terminal.
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

greengeek

#62 Post by greengeek »

BJF wrote:When I do /etc/init.d/minidlna restart the cursor drops to the next line and waits as long as I do. There is simply nothing going on
Actually, that indicates that there IS something going on. Or at least minidlna thinks there is. The question is what? I will PM you with a couple of suggestions. (also included some notes about how to control/check firewall since it appears that LxPupPrecise does not have a firewall icon)

BJF

#63 Post by BJF »

trapster: I did as bid...

# minidlna
Usage:
	minidlna [-d] [-f config_file]
		[-a listening_ip] [-p port]
		[-s serial] [-m model_number] 
		[-t notify_interval] [-P pid_filename]
		[-w url] [-R] [-V] [-h]

Notes:
	Notify interval is in seconds. Default is 895 seconds.
	Default pid file is /var/run/minidlna.pid.
	With -d minidlna will run in debug mode (not daemonize).
	-w sets the presentation url. Default is http address on port 80
	-h displays this text
	-R forces a full rescan
	-V print the version number
# which minidlna
/usr/sbin/minidlna
# /usr/bin/minidlna
bash: /usr/bin/minidlna: No such file or directory
# 
...and got this.

greengeek: roger that.

greengeek

#64 Post by greengeek »

BJF wrote:trapster: I did as bid...

# which minidlna
/usr/sbin/minidlna
# /usr/bin/minidlna
bash: /usr/bin/minidlna: No such file or directory
# 
...and got this.
Interesting. The response suggests that the actual minidlna binary is in /usr/sbin not /usr/bin

I don't think that your best answer is to start the binary directly though. I feel you should stick to the syntax suggested by Shinobar. I still think your best option is to prove the basics using a CD boot first - then we work out whats wrong with your full install.

Just my 2c

greengeek

#65 Post by greengeek »

Apparently external drives can be problematic for minidlna due to the number of files that need to be catalogued before the database can be built. The server can't start till the database is populated. If anyone is having problems like this I recommend trying a small usb stick with a few files and see if the server starts ok.
(You can check if the server has started by looking for the directory /tmp/minidlna - if it is not there then the server is not running, or at least has not finished building its database).

Some external drives go to sleep quite quickly so this might also cause problems for minidlna.

gcmartin

#66 Post by gcmartin »

Multimedia files can be in a folder for DLNA use. External devices might not be necessary.

Again, for anyone new to the DLNA scene, starting by using @ETP's effort can save you time and allow you to gain understanding of DLNA on a network where you will play your multimedia files on a DLNA device. The primary benefit is that it runs, without anything local on the PC being in the way to test and insure you can stream and see those streams on DLNA home playback systems. Once you are comfortable that this "works", then you have a greater level of understanding and can replicate functionality, easily. NOTHING has to be done to begin using it. It is already preset with sample files and comes ready to go. If one chooses to extend media, you add it to the predefined location and it is instantly available to any LAN/Wifi DLNA device. This is just too too easy to see, test, understand, implement and add media.

Further, for other playback, SAMBA is built in similar to all the modern PUPs.

Hope this is helpful.

greengeek

#67 Post by greengeek »

Does anyone know if there is a dlna client available to run in a Puppy? It would be nice to stream between puppies using dlna.

stemsee

#68 Post by stemsee »

google chrome has extensions dealing with dlna. Very simple, but turn firewall off.

greengeek

#69 Post by greengeek »

@BJF - I don't know if you are still interested in trying to get dlna running in Puppy but I just wanted to make a couple of suggestions that may have had an impact on the non-starting of minidlna on your system :

1) I have noticed that there appears to be a typo in the original pinstall.sh installation script:
The pinstall.sh script contains the following:

RC=/etc/init.d/mnidlna
[ -x $RC ] && $RC condrestart
I have no idea what that code is trying to do - or whether it may impact operation within a full install but not within a frugal install - I guess that is a possibility. I assume that the code should read:

RC=/etc/init.d/minidlna
[ -x $RC ] && $RC condrestart
2) I have also noticed that the minidlna server software has a timeout somewhere and it stops responding to the network if it does not receive requests from a dlna client within a certain timeframe. Minidlna usually still appears in htop even though it has stopped answering the network.

The timeout I am referring to does not seem to be all that long - maybe 5 minutes? Is it possible that it may have timed out while you were trying to set up the TV? (I suspect this is not the case as you did not even see the minidlna in htop - but just thought I'd mention the timeout)

greengeek

#70 Post by greengeek »

Request for assistance - would it be possible for someone to test the following circumstance please?

- Turn off all dlna client devices (eg smart TVs, set top boxes, or any other PC or Android/iPhone etc that is capable of connecting to a dlna server) then start your minidlna server as normal.

Leave the server running for at least 15 to 30 minutes (without any connection attempts from client devices) then power on your usual dlna client device and try to access the server.

I am interested to know if the server still responds?

Under these circumstances my minidlna server is still visible in the list of running processes but does not respond to any connection attempts. I have to "restart" it before it will respond.

Thanks in advance for anyone who tests this.

cheers!

ravensrest

#71 Post by ravensrest »

Nice job, Shinobar. Just loaded the sort one up in Puppy 571, and showing whatever I want from my desktop to my Roku. Thanks.
BS

Devonian

Problem starting minidlna

#72 Post by Devonian »

When I enter restart in the terminal I get the following Message:-

'error while loading shared libraries:libavformat.so.62'.

From other posts I gather that this is because I have the wrong ffmpeg file loaded.

How can I load the correct ffmpeg with this library name. At present I have libavformat.so.8 loaded.

trapster

#73 Post by trapster »

Try linking if the file is in /usr/lib/

ln -s /usr/lib/libavformat.so.8 /usr/lib/libavformat.so.62
trapster
Maine, USA

Devonian

#74 Post by Devonian »

Thanks Trapster,

I have now found libavformat.so.55 in that location but:-

When I enter the code:-

" In -s /usr/lib/libavformat.so.55 /usr/lib/libavformat.so.62 "

I get " bash: In: command not found. "

I'm using Slacko puppy 6.3.0 and it looks as bash is looking for different commands.

If I could find a source for libavformat.so.62 I could install it but I don't know which version of ffmpeg relates to this file.
Last edited by Devonian on Sat 01 Apr 2017, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.

Semme

#75 Post by Semme »

Try the only *other* character that could open that command.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

trapster

#76 Post by trapster »

ln command is with a small "L" not i.

Linking a `55 version to a `62 version might not work.
Better to link a later version to an earlier version.
trapster
Maine, USA

Devonian

#77 Post by Devonian »

Hi Semme,

Thanks but I'm not sure where I find other.

I should say that I have puppy running within Windows so the bash commands could be different. I have to run within Windows as I have some expensive Windows only video editing software.

Devonian

#78 Post by Devonian »

Thanks to everyone, I have solved the problem by loading an earlier version of minidlna.

f_sielka

#79 Post by f_sielka »

All,

I have read the whole thread but did not find the answer to my question (which was asked here before).
Does the plugin support subtitles? I do have the .txt or .srt files in the same folder as the movie - same name (except for the extension of course), the movie works fine on my Samsung smart TV but there is no way I can display the subs.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Philip