XenialDog (Ubuntu 16.04 'Xenial Xerus' LTS, 32-bit)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
backi

#481 Post by backi »

Hi fred !

Hi !
Does anybody know how to auto-mount in Xenial a Drive Partition on boot up ?
for auto-mount all (if porteus-boot used) simply leave out the 'noauto' parameter from the kernel (boot) line.
Is O.K. !!

Hi zagreb !

Where to find auto-mount in Xenial Dog ?

fredx181

#482 Post by fredx181 »

Max Headroom wrote:Fred, I Think I've installed the Required Script & feh, Thanx 4 the Link, But I can't find the Location / Path of the Desktop Wallpaper Backgrounds...
They are in /opt/docs/pictures

Good Luck!

Fred

dancytron

#483 Post by dancytron »

Max Headroom wrote:G'day Guys, I heard yoUs Mist Me, so I'm back :)

Dancytron, I've installed Chrome 48 32bit from the Link that yoU Posted, Thanx, But I Guess that I Misunderstood your ReadMe instructions re How 2 handle the 2 Scripts, in Fact I'm rather Unfamiliar w/ How 2 Apply them All together... From the Desktop Chrome-Puppy.sh I Opened as Txt & then Copied All & Pasted into the ROXTerm & Ran, Same w/ Chrome-Root.sh, then Chrome Opened, is that How it's Supposed 2 Work?

Fred, I Think I've installed the Required Script & feh, Thanx 4 the Link, But I can't find the Location / Path of the Desktop Wallpaper Backgrounds...

Next I'll Edit Me Menu.lst File, including the Fantom mention...

title No M$ Virus Bait! & Test

Thanx again 4 All your Help Puppy People

:)K
Well, that's one way I guess.

I am in Debian Dog 64, but it should be the same. Copy the scripts somewhere convenient. Open the file manager and right click on each file. Choose properties then Permissions. Change execute to "anyone" (see attached). Now you can just click on them to launch Chrome.

I use the Rox desktop, so I can just drag them to the desktop to make a short cut. I think on the other desktops, it is on the right click menu, something like Send To: then Desktop.
Attachments
debdog-20170321103201.jpg
(30.77 KiB) Downloaded 809 times

backi

#484 Post by backi »

Hi !
Does anybody know where/how to get Abiword 2.8.6 for Xenial Dog ? ......

Abiword 3.X.x from Repository is not usable .

fredx181

#485 Post by fredx181 »

backi wrote:Hi !
Does anybody know where/how to get Abiword 2.8.6 for Xenial Dog ? ......

Abiword 3.X.x from Repository is not usable .
Not sure if it's any good (in all aspects), but you can try this SFS:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/uty ... c.squashfs

Fred

backi

#486 Post by backi »

Cool !

Searched like crazy ...thanks fred :) :)

Seems working O.K. !!

spandey

#487 Post by spandey »

I am trying to set up xenialdog in my PC. Need the following help,

1. When I do apt get update and upgrade, In the end there is an error message '/boot/initrd.img-4.4.0-59-generic does not exist. Cannot update'

2. How do I disable DOCK in the openbox menu?

3. Firefox ESR is not updated to latest 45.8

Thanks

fredx181

#488 Post by fredx181 »

Hi spandey,
1. When I do apt get update and upgrade, In the end there is an error message '/boot/initrd.img-4.4.0-59-generic does not exist. Cannot update'
That's because you're running a 'live' system and the package-management doesn't "know" about that. (expects initrd is in /boot)
The initrd which you (frugally) booted from is in the 'casper' folder (e.g. initrd1.xz or initrd.lz, depending on which boot method you used, porteus-boot or casper-boot)
2. How do I disable DOCK in the openbox menu?
No idea what you mean by that, can you clarify?
3. Firefox ESR is not updated to latest 45.8
Well, yes, that's something I'd like to change in next releases, it's confusing.
Best to do is to uninstall first "firefox-portable" and then install the official (Ubuntu) Firefox from Synaptic or with apt-get.
(I'm not running XenialDog at the the moment, but from the top of my head I think it should be as I above wrote)

Fred

fredx181

#489 Post by fredx181 »

Hi All,

For info, here's a guide for How Create your own DebianLive from netinstall and also include porteus-boot style

It's for Debian-Jessie but since requested and discussed "Howto implement porteus-boot" in this thread by mikeslr and dancytron I thought mentioning it here.

Fred

belham2

#490 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:Hi All,

For info, here's a guide for How Create your own DebianLive from netinstall and also include porteus-boot style

It's for Debian-Jessie but since requested and discussed "Howto implement porteus-boot" in this thread by mikeslr and dancytron I thought mentioning it here.

Fred
Hi Fred!

You've been a busy beaver, I see. Finally, all those separate, disconnected things over the past year when I would ask stupid questions about porteus-booting and such, after reading your "How-to-Thread", I suddenly feel like a member genius...heehee, as I can say: "hey, I walked that walk, I blindly stumbled through that life.....and became a porteus-debian-dog honky-tonky cowboy" :wink: Seriously, though, thanks for putting it all down in one place. Let's me put everything together in my head and make sense of it. It's now bookmarked and will refer back to it when I get confused again. Which we both know should be soon.... :lol:

Good work, my friend, good work.... :wink:

mikeslr

#491 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the How To.

Hi belham2,

Just wanted to mention that I enjoy reading your posts. I like how you mix self-deprecating humor while getting to the point on serious topics. The only draw-back is that my mind often works in an odd fashion. Trying to find one of your posts using a Wellminded Search and plugging in your handle and another key word I got nothing. Seems I recalled your handle as being "bedlam. :lol:

mikesLr

mcewanw

Using Firefox (with PDF.js) as default pdf viewer

#492 Post by mcewanw »

On the default XenialDog32, epdfviewer is the default pdf reader (and in default Firefox for pdf links clicked). Unfortunately, it isn't very good. It fails to read graphics images in many pdf's. For example I tried looking at tiny core pdf book using default epdfviewer via clicking link in Firefox - most images missing...:

http://tinycorelinux.net/corebook.pdf

Easiest solution is to use firefox itself. Since around version 19, firefox has internal pdf viewer (PDF.js). To activate it just go to Preferences -> Applications. Then click on the line for Portable Document Format (PDF) and use provided drop down arrow to select "Firefox Preview" instead of epdfviewer (default) or whatever.

You can make Firefox default pdf viewer for local pdf files too

You can also then drop local pdf files onto firefox and they will open in firefox. Works well. In fact I've right-clicked pdf file in PCmanFM and chosen to "Open With...": Firefox. That actually makes Firefox the default pdf viewer for all pdf files (online and local). Associating files using PCmanFM "Open With..." automatically modifies the pdf mine-type entry in $HOME/.config/mimeapps.list in XenialDog32. On some other distributions that file can be elsewhere: for example, in $HOME/.local/share/applications.

PDF.js (actually an open source mozilla project) is a pretty good pdf viewer actually. You don't really need epdfviewer at all.

I believe you can also download PDF.js and use it with other java script capable browsers (e.g. Seamonkey and Chrome). For instructions, see:

https://github.com/mozilla/pdf.js

William
github mcewanw

backi

#493 Post by backi »

Hi !

Epdfviewer does not do his Job correctly.....good someone mentioned it .

Max2017

Encypted savefile not working? device-mapper, dm-crypt

#494 Post by Max2017 »

Hi,
I am trying to use an encrypted savefile, but I can't get it to load on reboot.

I've used a freshly downloaded .iso, made a frugal install, then on first shut down created an encrypted savefile. On reboot, XenialDog finds the savefile, asks for the password but then starts throwing errors and eventually starts without loading the savefile.

Errors read:
device-mapper: reload ioctl on temporary-cryptsetup-413 failed: invalid argument
Failed to setup dm-crypt key mapping for device /dev/loop2
Check that kernel supports aes-xts-plain64 cipher (check syslog for more info).
Failed to read from key storage

Using an unencypted savefile works just fine.

I appreciate any suggestions. Being an old Puppy Linux fan, XenialDog looks like the thing I've been looking for since Barry stopped working on it.

Cheers,
Max

rufwoof

Re: Using Firefox (with PDF.js) as default pdf viewer

#495 Post by rufwoof »

mcewanw wrote:On the default XenialDog32, epdfviewer is the default pdf reader (and in default Firefox for pdf links clicked). Unfortunately, it isn't very good.
Putting aside being too big to include in a default Dog, MasterPDFEditor is my preferred choice. Easy to edit/annotate/highlight ...etc.
Attachments
s.png
(114.61 KiB) Downloaded 287 times

mikeslr

Foxitreader & Question re Master PDF Editor

#496 Post by mikeslr »

Hi ruffwoof & All,

Foxitreader, discussed here, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 5ea#936553 worked OOTB under XenialDog64. I would expect similar results in other "Dogs".

Mine is in an external folder /mnt/home/pup-apps/foxitreader. So to start it under XenialDog64 I browsed to that folder and clicked the wrapper named FoxitReader.sh.

Under Puppies, I start it via menu having built a pet which creates such menu entry. I do this with all applications I frequently run from "external" folders. These pets consists only of a bash script on the path pointing to the executable; an icon in /usr/share/pixmaps and a desktop file in /usr/share/applications. I wonder if there is an easy way to convert those Puppy Pets to create menu entries under Dogs. Alternatively, to build debs for that purpose.

An older version of Master PDF Editor than rufwoof linked to wouldn't run under XenialDog64. I think it has Qt 4x as a dependency. I noticed that, from the link rufwoof provided, the 64 bit versions names included a reference to QT5 while the 32 Bit versions did not. In the former, is Qt5 included in the 64bit version?, In the 32 bit versions, is a separate install of Qt still required? and if so, which version?

mikesLr

rufwoof

#497 Post by rufwoof »

Sorry Mike I can't help. I just downloaded and installed the .deb and then ran fix dependencies and Debian took care of it all. I seem to recall it saying that libqtprint or something like that was needed after installing the .deb before it would run, but can't recall the exact detail.

fredx181

#498 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Max2017,
I am trying to use an encrypted savefile, but I can't get it to load on reboot.
Welcome and congratulations!! Your first post and you found a real bug!!
There's a fix if you have a frugal install and using porteus-boot :

Added to Changes and fixes list
Bugfix for when using encrypted savefile:
If XenialDog is frugally installed and using "porteus-boot":
https://github.com/DebianDog/xenialdog/ ... rteus-boot
Replace initrd1.xz in the "casper" folder with the one from Here and encrypted savefile should work.
And thanks for reporting.

Fred

Max2017

Encypted savefile not working? device-mapper, dm-crypt

#499 Post by Max2017 »

Hi Fred,
I'm more than impressed by your quick response. If me finding bugs helps not just me but also you and others, I'm glad to help. :)

I just tested your bug fix. It works like a charm on the 32bit-version. Actually, I'm typing this from my frugal installation with porteus-boot.

Just two more questions:
1. Could you also provide a fix for the 64bit-version?
2. Your bug fix (naturally) doesn't survive a kernel upgrade. Any workaround for that? I don't mind getting my hands dirty myself if pointed into the right direction.

From what I see so far, I'm already a fan. I'll have this doggy running the next weeks. If feedback is welcome, I won't hold back.

Cheers, Max

mcewanw

Re: Foxitreader & Question re Master PDF Editor

#500 Post by mcewanw »

mikeslr wrote:Hi ruffwoof & All,

Foxitreader, discussed here, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 5ea#936553 worked OOTB under XenialDog64. I would expect similar results in other "Dogs".
I also sometimes use Masterpdfeditor, but that's when I need a pdf editor on my system - it does indeed need qt. I am also a longtime user of Foxit Reader. However, my question would be: what is the advantage of Foxit reader (or any other "pdf reador" over using Firefox/Mozilla provide PDF.js, which in my tests works very well indeed (is opensource and continually being developed)? Different if you want or need a pdf editor, but that would not surely be expected in base iso. Since base iso comes with Firefox, it thus comes with inbuilt pdf reader, which I suspect many people don't realise can be used with locally-stored pdfs too (just needs activated and, optionally, filebrowser associations set as I described).

Main app most people use is probably their browser (so it is usually already running) - might as well benefit from the additional html5 js support/bloat in them - it's already there so no disadvantage to use anyway.

William

Sorry, wasn't long out of my bed so kept making typing errors and having to fix/repost!!!

EDIT: PDF.js is inbuilt into FIrefox, which works fine/out-of-the-box in default XenialDog32, but if you were using Palemoon it seems you need to add plugin:

https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/moon-pdf-viewer/

Personally, I've always had trouble with Palemoon (after using it for a while). I can't remember the details (maybe fixed?) but it used to start using a lot of RAM over time I think. Nobody else seemed to have the problem or at least didn't notice or didn't report it. I prefer Firefox original.

EDIT: Yes, just read in Palemoon release notes than pdf.js code was removed in Nov 2016 from main browser (ver 27), because their pdf.js code wasn't being maintained. That isn't the case for official pdf.js from mozilla, however, it is constantly being updated/maintained - last pdf.js github entry just 3 days ago and I haven't come across a pdf yet that it can't display correctly.

Of course, I can't say if Firefox will always come with inbuilt pdf reader, but it does just now, and it works. Users can install external pdf readers any time they like...
github mcewanw