Quirky Xerus 8.1.4 for Raspberry Pi2 and 3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
TeX Dog

#621 Post by TeX Dog »

Not impressed with Jessie-PIXEL. Does look nice IF your system doesn't have overscan. My first test HDMI TV (first gen, actual CRT tube type) has extreme overscan due to age/technology use.
Could not see menubar at all and the menu with mouse click did not offer a path for a fix. Background graphic I could change, why a lonely blacktop road with a thunderstorm on the horizon was its default I never can tell, but the 'guy' who made the choice needs some serious counseling. The Symbology alone is unsettling but also foretelling, First Blush it looks nice 'clean new road' nice hills, but also that distant storm already over the road. Pixel looks nice, but offers less useful GUI, no default icon 'run' programs for the stuff I had on the test disk, no root,sudo or method that sticks to change permissions.
Horrible video playback, alpha blend methods removed (acts more like this QX814, then past versions without Pixel ) did not even have ffmpeg or the forked renamed version.
QX814 has multiple options for video, that only jittery webbrowser <its suppost to be the best > and omxplayer and it still preformed worse same everything else, verses the version on QX814.
I am going to snag some nice desktop backgrounds from PIXEL and call the review over.

SHORT VERSON: stick with QX its still better then the others newest 'best'

BarryK
Puppy Master

#622 Post by BarryK »

Right now I am compiling SeaMonkey 2.46 on the Pi3, running Quirky Xerus 8.1.4.

It has been chugging along for about 20 minutes, but many hours to go...

Just a little note, I plan to get Easy Linux running on the Pi2 and Pi3.
Same Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus 64-bit DEBs as in Quirky 8.1.4, but Easy uses the layered filesystem, and has "q.sfs" with all of the filesystem in it -- like in Puppy.

However, there is no "save file", which I consider to be too much of a hassle. You can read how Easy works here:

http://barryk.org/easy/how-easy-works.htm

EDIT:
Finally got there: http://barryk.org/news/?viewDetailed=00518
Last edited by BarryK on Tue 21 Mar 2017, 01:25, edited 1 time in total.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

don570

#623 Post by don570 »

Note to Barry..

Don't forget to include 'Dropbear' for SSH clone

Sylvander

#624 Post by Sylvander »

1. Using THIS POST for guidance...
a. I did all of the necessary to extract the berryboot files to my 32GB mmc, 1 partition formatted as FAT32.
b. Put it correctly into my RPi2 mobo , [it's connected to my newly swapped-in Virgin Hub 3.0 using 2 "Devolo Powerline Adapters"].
c. Powered it on, and did all the necessary.
d. Chose to install both Raspbian and OpenELEC, with OpenELEC as default.
The necessary files were auto-downloaded from the internet, and the OS's installed [NICE :D ].
e. Eventually managed to get Kody to work [NICE :D, stuff is BIG in Kody :D , so it can be read on my 32-inch Sony Bravia smart TV from 12-feet away].

So...
2. What should I do to additionally install the "special version of Quirky Xerus 8.1.4".
I don't see it offered on the berryboot "Add OS" window.
Perhaps I need to look at that again.

don570

#625 Post by don570 »

The way I do it ....

Download...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/berryb ... z/download

Then decompress to get the img file.

I put it on a thumb drive and stick it in my raspberry pi 2.

The Pressing on 'Add OS ' icon should show img file if you wait for 10-15 seconds. (It's slow to show thumb drive contents :cry: )

shadower_sc

uncompress command example from berryboot homepage

#626 Post by shadower_sc »

don570's way of doing it is how you "side load" an image downloaded from here: (The Latest Quirky Xerus 8.1.4 is in the list.)
http://berryboot.alexgoldcheidt.com/images/

decompress command example from berryboot homepage:

Code: Select all

tar -xf name-of-the-image.img.tar.xz
How to install os images:
http://berryboot.alexgoldcheidt.com/how ... os-images/

Sylvander

#627 Post by Sylvander »

don570 wrote:I put it on a thumb drive and stick it in my raspberry pi 2.

The Pressing on 'Add OS ' icon should show img file if you wait for 10-15 seconds. (It's slow to show thumb drive contents :cry: )
When I do this, to install the Puppy OS, will it copy the contents of the image [held in the .img file] to the mmc [micro memory card?]
And can I then dispense with the use of the USB Flash Drive?

I may find time to try it before you reply. :)
So far I've extracted the img to a single partition formatted FAT32, on a spare Flash Drive.
Tried booting the RPi2 with the Flash Drive and mmc both in place, and they work as they aught.
Quirky Xerus 8.1.4 installed, rebooted and the newly installed Puppy booted OK. rebooted again without the Flash Drive and the Puppy still booted OK.
All good. :D

don570

#628 Post by don570 »

When I do this, to install the Puppy OS, will it copy the contents of the image [held in the .img file] to the mmc [micro memory card?]
And can I then dispense with the use of the USB Flash Drive
Yes! The purpose of berryboot is to install several OS's on one card.
After you install there will be a list of OS's when you boot up
and you choose the OS you want.

There is a modification that allows part of the OS to installed on a thumb drive but that isn't too useful.

Sylvander

#629 Post by Sylvander »

My RPi2 appears to have no led indicating when it's powered on. :( :?

Any thoughts?

Sage

#630 Post by Sage »

Any thoughts?
Insufficient power? Incorrect USB connection/hub design? SD card not pushed home? Incompatible HDMI arrangement? - are just a few of the issues I've encountered!
Try powering it from pins 4 & 6 on the GPIO with an independent old AT or ATX PSU - you can use the small Molex(for FDD) directly if you unhook the 12V (yellow) and adjacent 0V (black) leads. [let me know if you need a dozen or so, but it may be easier & quicker to lift one from your roadside skip.]
Disconnect your USB hub - only USB2/3 ones work and if you try to power them (not necessary with RPi2) you can get conflicts. When/if reconnecting later after fault discovered be sure to connect board microUSB via the USB-B on hub and not one of the USB-A slots.
Use an HDMI - VGA adapter in the first instance as not all nativeHDMI s on TVs and monitors are compatible - or their leads. There may be nothing you can do about that.
There are plenty more possible issues including you've blown it, blown a fuse, bad cable, you-name-it.
Either way, please be sure to report back when you sort it so that it will help legions of others struggling ...
Last edited by Sage on Tue 28 Mar 2017, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.

Sylvander

#631 Post by Sylvander »

@Sage

1. "Insufficient power?"
Perhaps.
Remember, the RPi2 works just fine, except there is no power LED displaying.
I'm using a power unit [5-volt-DC, 1.3-amp] identical to the one for my wife's mobile phone [Nokia Lumia 610 methinks].
I see no obvious signs of inadequate power to the RPi2.
I have an 10-port multi-USB power hub somewhere [Trust 5-volt-DC, 2.0-amp].
RPi needed power supply
Is my Nokia 1.3A power unit ok?

2. "Incorrect USB connection/hub design?"
I very much doubt it.

3. "SD card not pushed home?"
I always make sure it's properly pushed home.
Got it wrong once [the mmc was in at the correct orifice, but angled toward the outer casing; might this have done irreversible damage?], and removed and re-inserted to make sure it was properly located and all the way home [the little ridge on the end of the mmc is located between the internal cover/hood and the outer edge].

4. "Try powering it from pins 4 & 6 on the GPIO with an independent old AT or ATX PSU..."
Eh, what? :?
I wonder if I even know what that means.
I don't have any spare PSU's about.
Aren't they HUGE?
I fitted a replacement one once to an old PC.

5. "Disconnect your USB hub - only USB2/3 ones work and if you try to power them (not necessary with RPi2) you can get conflicts."
The hub [not yet used for RPi2] is USB-2.0 and 1.1.
Not sure what the Lumia power unit is [USB 2.0?]
See: Genuine Nokia AC_50X (1.3AMP) USB Mains Charger Wall Adapter

6. "There are plenty more possible issues including you've blown it, blown a fuse, bad cable, you-name-it."
I very much doubt all of these, except as in 3 above.
Everything is NEW, and appears to work OK [except no power LED display].
Looks like my son fitted it in an old case [doesn't look new]...
Might the case be obscuring the LED?

7. "please be sure to report back when you sort it so that it will help legions of others struggling ..."
Will do.

Sage

#632 Post by Sage »

4. "Try powering it from pins 4 & 6 on the GPIO with an independent old AT or ATX PSU..."
Eh, what? :?
I wonder if I even know what that means.
I don't have any spare PSU's about.
Aren't they HUGE?
I fitted a replacement one once to an old PC.
Along the back (front?!) of your board there is a row of 40 pins - for connecting a range of inputs and outputs, both (digital)signals and voltages. This is the General Purpose Input/Output bus (short for busbar). They run in pairs, odds down one lane, evens the other (outside) lane. Pins 2 & 4 are +5V, pin 6 is ground/earth/0V.
On old PSUs (and some new ones), the smallest power plug is to drive the Floppy Drive and has four sockets - red/black/black/yellow for +5V 0V 0V & +12V. If you remove (use a pin) the yellow and adjacent black (tape them up separately in insulating tape) you have a socket with two live connections. This will fit exactly over pin4 and pin6 to power the unit.
HUGE is pejorative. I have a couple of modern ones in 10cm cubes and another 6x6x100cm. Enough power to run a dozen Pi s, perhaps?!
When working with RPi s remember that, like the BBC Bit, they were intended to teach about coding, robotics and engineering control, never for surfing or distro hopping.
There are a plethora of (over-priced) add-ons sold for A-D and D-A conversion, GPIO extensions and a host of projects stuff, but also including music converters, etc.
And finally, don't believe what you read elsewhere. Don't put your Pi in one of those cute little plastic boxes. Do fit a heatsink on the cpu, esp. for RPi 3.
Hope this helps.

don570

#633 Post by don570 »

Green led always blinks when booting.
If it doesn't then the usual reason is a card that doesn't have bootable
fat32 partition. In other words you screwed up the installation.
The board itself could be fine. Let's hope so.

your board there is a row of 40 pins - for connecting a range of inputs and outputs, both (digital)signals and voltages. This is the General Purpose Input/Output bus (short for busbar). They run in pairs, odds down one lane, evens the other (outside) lane. Pins 2 & 4 are +5V, pin 6 is ground/earth/0V.
Yes, Checking the voltage is easy with a voltmeter.
you should look at diagram first.
There are several pins that act as ground.
The voltage dips under 5 volts during booting because of the high current that is drawn, but it should stay above 4.7 V.
Attachments
j8header.png
pins for raspberrypi 2
(176.25 KiB) Downloaded 2057 times

Sage

#634 Post by Sage »

The voltage dips under 5 volts during booting because of the high current that is drawn
Best reason to use a 'proper' PSU (also gives an on/off mains switch!). I found the tip on one of the many Pi Fora.
[Nice picture don, he has an RPi2 with 40 pins, also try https://www.rasberrypi.org/documentation/usage/... et seq. and ...//pinout.xyz/#]
That GPIO can, of course, be used to advantage for projects with QX8.1.4 via the CLI as well as all the soft apps installed.
A good place for hobbyists to start is with switching things ON&OFF, although might need a simple DAC chip and/or dc-dc converter (99p/eBay)+ relay (eg OmronG2VN -ubiquitous). Always fancied a more advanced project of a weather station, but the add-ons are outrageously priced and looking outa-da-window is quicker and cheaper!
In extremis, this might help:
http://pksato.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/re ... ry-pi.html

Incidentally, since don is showing the pin-outs, keenest coders will note that v2 &3 have I^2C connections on pins 3 & 5. This is the code used to reset counter chips on, inter alia, laser printers (possibly inkjets?). Apart from that fact, I know nothing more, apart from being aware that there is an expert printer buff and coder amongst us, rcrsn.

amj

#635 Post by amj »

In January I made a post on page 37 of this thread saying that I'd experimented with installing the new vlc-plugin-qt from the Debian sid repository. I made a fresh installation of QX814 and installed the plugin, not really expecting it to work. Having made the experiment, I put the micro-SD card in a drawer and moved to something else.

Today I retrieved that micro-SD card, popped it into a RPi2 and launched vlc from the console because I wanted to play some music. After a string of warning messages, up popped the QT interface.

I'm not sure why that did not happen when I made the original experiment and equally unsure why it did work today. But I now have an installation of QX814 with a full vlc running. I've made a desktop icon for vlc and when I click it, up pops the familiar vlc QT interface. And it's working.

don570

#636 Post by don570 »

It is possible to make a pet package for vlc-qt by putting all the debian dependency packages
in one folder and running alien2puppy

I wrote a tutorial.

amj

#637 Post by amj »

Thanks Don.

For the record, the 11 Debian sid packages I installed were:

libdouble-conversion1_2.0.1-4_armhf.deb
libicu57_57.1-5_armhf.deb
libpng16-16_1.6.27-1_armhf.deb
libqt5core5a_5.7.1+dfsg-2_armhf.deb
libqt5dbus5_5.7.1+dfsg-2_armhf.deb
libqt5gui5_5.7.1+dfsg-2_armhf.deb
libqt5network5_5.7.1+dfsg-2_armhf.deb
libqt5widgets5_5.7.1+dfsg-2_armhf.deb
libqt5x11extras5_5.7.1~20161021-2_armhf.deb
libxcb-xinerama0_1.12-1_armhf.deb
vlc-plugin-qt_2.2.4-12_armhf.deb

I also think a word of warning is appropriate. If you have an existing QX814 installation with QT packages installed, trying to add the vlc-plugin-qt might not be a good idea since the Debian sid packages and any standard Ubuntu QT packages may not be fully compatible.

The plugin may also work on Debian based amd64 versions of Quirky Xerus. I may experiment with the QX815 system I have.

don570

#638 Post by don570 »

Thank for info . If I have time I'll down load those and make the pet package.
Just put the packages in a folder and run script 'alien2puppy'
The folder can be named anything appropriate.

cd inside your folder full of debian packages.
In terminal type
Code:
alien2puppy -p audacity-july20-1.3.13

A folder named audacity-july20-1.3.13 is now created

Mitchellray

Copy to SD Card - Process not completing; Card Won't Boot

#639 Post by Mitchellray »

Hello,
I downloaded quirky xerus 8.1.4.
Then, unxz --stdout quirky-pi2-sd-8gb-xerus-8.1.4.img.xz | dd of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=4M.
Then, the process never terminates.
I type in the terminal (but there is no prompt yet) sync (return).

I kill the process after a long time, and viewing the SDcard, there are two partitions created. Oddly, even though the card is formatted for fat32, and flagged 'boot', a second linux partition shows up with files in it. I reformatted three times to fat32 after deleting all partitions, but same results.

Then, when trying to boot the Raspberry Pi3, it can't launch X.
I try xwin, and I try xorgwizard.

16GB Sandisk extreme brand new
Using Precise Puppy o/s
md5sum for download passes

Error Messages

xwin -> /usr/bin/xwin: line 12: .: /user/bin/gettext.sh: cannot execute binary file starting X, specs in /etc/X11 , startup apps /root/xinitrc....
Exited from X

xorgwizard -> /usr/sbin/xorgwizard: line 91: .: /usr/bin/gettext.sh: cannot execute binary file
mkdir: cannot create directory '/var/local/' : too many levels of symbolic links

Thanks.
Mitchellray

don570

#640 Post by don570 »

I type in the terminal (but there is no prompt yet) sync (return).
There MUST be a prompt symbol, then type 'sync'

Sometimes Barry's method of installation takes a long time :cry: