QtWeb super light browser - wishing pet

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
mistfire

#21 Post by mistfire »

I used Qtweb single binary file version. It works fine on x-slacko slim. but there is one problem on Qtweb. It does not play HTML5 videos

peebee

#22 Post by peebee »

mistfire wrote:It does not play HTML5 videos
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QtWeb

<<Development status Discontinued>>

http://qtweb.net/ "version 3.8.5 (released on Sep 9, 2013)"

Sort of puts it into the same category as Opera-12.16......
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Mike Walsh

#23 Post by Mike Walsh »

Afternoon, peebee.

I guess it all depends on what you're going to use it for, TBH. For my use-case (mostly forums, tech sites, blogs and the like) it works fine. Anything 'serious' like banking, I go straight into current Chrome, since everything's set up there to do so.

It's a fast little browser, for all that.....and packed with nifty features. It's just a shame development was abandoned.

Mike. :wink:

superchook

QtWeb super light browser - wishing pet

#24 Post by superchook »

QtWebBrowser gets a mention on p58 of the September edition of Linux Format.

belham2

#25 Post by belham2 »

Mike Walsh wrote:Afternoon, peebee.

I guess it all depends on what you're going to use it for, TBH. For my use-case (mostly forums, tech sites, blogs and the like) it works fine. Anything 'serious' like banking, I go straight into current Chrome, since everything's set up there to do so.

It's a fast little browser, for all that.....and packed with nifty features. It's just a shame development was abandoned.

After fooling around more with QtWeb browser, I have come to basically use it just like Mike W stated he does. At first I was aghast at the number of popups I was getting about security certificates (as posted here, with a pic: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 5&start=90...but I kept thinking about how fast and speedy QtWeb is.

Eventually, I realized that the majority of sites I use I don't have to worry about the CA popups and they actually don't happen. I now honestly think this is the fastest loading and using browser I have come across for general browsing (like Mike said, secure stuff, then use something else, i.e. Chrome and/or Firefox).

Sure wish they could keep developing this browser......I've now put QtWeb on every pup & pup-related USB/SC card OS I have. Thanks to Mike's .pet, it is easy!! Gracias Mike!!!!!!

Mike Walsh

#26 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, belham2.

That's exactly my 'take' on it. For general 'messing about' on the web, it's absolutely fine. And CPU usage is extremely low, too.....compared to something like Chrome. F'rinstance, in Lucid 5.2.8.7, QtWeb uses next to nothing; but Chrome 26 (the latest Chrome that will actually run in Lucid (it's the glibc issue, there)), with just 3 tabs open, and not actually doing anything, is using something like 65% CPU process... (???)

For owt 'serious', or that needs security, though, I automatically use Chrome. Fortunately, it's a lot less CPU-hungry, using far more recent versions, in many of the much newer Pups.....

I wouldn't dare do on-line banking with QtWeb..!

belham2

#27 Post by belham2 »

Hi Mike,

Have a another question for ya on your QtWeb: have you ever gotten it to play nice with any version of Slacko? I installed it the other on Mistfire's Slim Slacko, it worked great for an hour of browsing, set everything in it like I like, then Saved it. Upon restart, everything is still there, but I cannot start it. It tries to start but refuses. Even if I go into /use/local/bin/qtweb and start it, it won't start. I've tried it both set up as root, and as spot, and refuses me both ways.

What's weird is that it runs repeatedly great on all the debiandogs and xenialdogs I have tried it on, saved it, and it's there chugging away when I restart those OSes.

Mike Walsh

#28 Post by Mike Walsh »

belham2 wrote:Hi Mike,

Have a another question for ya on your QtWeb: have you ever gotten it to play nice with any version of Slacko? I installed it the other on Mistfire's Slim Slacko, it worked great for an hour of browsing, set everything in it like I like, then Saved it. Upon restart, everything is still there, but I cannot start it. It tries to start but refuses. Even if I go into /use/local/bin/qtweb and start it, it won't start. I've tried it both set up as root, and as spot, and refuses me both ways.

What's weird is that it runs repeatedly great on all the debiandogs and xenialdogs I have tried it on, saved it, and it's there chugging away when I restart those OSes.
Mm. Never had any problems with it in vanilla 570; every time I want to use it again, I launch it from the desktop icon (or the Menu entry....or the tray launcher button..!).....and there it is, good as gold. Same goes for X-Slacko 2,3,2 (based on 570).

It even runs in Slacko64 6.3.0, with the 32-bit compat libs installed.

perdido

Re: bookmark importing

#29 Post by perdido »

Marv wrote: Quite quick and rendering not bad but I have yet to get it to import html bookmarks from a file at all. Using its import facility, I go to my directory holding both Opera andFirefox exports in html format and it shows an empty directory. Played with case etc. to no avail. Anybody done this? Just want to know if it is a quirk of my setup or more general.
Not a quirk in your setup, Has been a problem for a few versions.

Easy workaround for importing html bookmarks in QtWeb
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 71&start=4

belham2

#30 Post by belham2 »

Mike Walsh wrote:
belham2 wrote:Hi Mike,

Mm. Never had any problems with it in vanilla 570; every time I want to use it again, I launch it from the desktop icon (or the Menu entry....or the tray launcher button..!).....and there it is, good as gold. Same goes for X-Slacko 2,3,2 (based on 570).

It even runs in Slacko64 6.3.0, with the 32-bit compat libs installed.

Hi Mike,

Just wanted to provide some feedback: spent last two hours trying to get QtWeb 3.8.5 run on Mistfire's latest remastered x-slacko http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107313

It will install, but it will not run on this Linux Kernel 3.14.56 (i686), GNU C Library version 2.17 (stable) X-slacko version. If I use PPM in Mistfire's X-slacko, it will install QtWeb 3.8.4 (build 104) and that version will run perfectly. So I figure there must be some library conflict with the 3.8.5.pet version.

I even did the above 3.8.4 PPM install, then uextract your 3.8.5 version, and swapped in your 3.8.5 in the /usr/bin/ executable file, and it immediately would not load. Put back in the PPM's 3.8.4 executable, and it works right away again.

Oh well, no biggie, I'll just use Mistfire's included Midori when using his X-slacko. I use your 3.8.5 in the other pups I have, and I luv it :D

P.S. I don't know if this makes a difference, but Mistfire's X-slacko is 'i686' and I notice on your 3.8.5.pet it says 'i386'. I had always assumed anything that runs on i386 will always also run on a i686 system.

P.S. 2 I am also wondering if installing "Zarfy" on Mistfire's X-slacko has something to do with 3.8.5 not working. When 'Zarfy' (for multiple monitors--I've 2) was not installed, the QtWeb 3.8.5.pet installed and ran great the first time.

Mike Walsh

#31 Post by Mike Walsh »

@belham2:-
belham2 wrote:P.S. I don't know if this makes a difference, but Mistfire's X-slacko is 'i686' and I notice on your 3.8.5.pet it says 'i386'. I had always assumed anything that runs on i386 will always also run on a i686 system.
Um. TBH, that's just semantics on my part. I know for a fact that 'i386' refers to 32-bit compatible. Don't ask me what i486, i586 & i686 mean; I just labelled mine with what I understand. The label doesn't actually refer to anything specific, as far as I'm aware.....

Odd about your not being able to run 3.8.5. Slacko has the older 3.10 32 kernel, & glibc 2.15; mind you, I've just realised; I have GoogleEarth installed (which has the Qt4 libraries installed in the folder).....I wonder if that could be the difference?

Um. That could be what's doing it, yes indeedy. Yah, 'cos thinking about it, I also run GoogleEarth in X-Slacko 2.3.2 as well.....and, again, it's the same setup; QT libs included in the directory.....

Mike Walsh

#32 Post by Mike Walsh »

@PFan:-

Thanks for the tip about the html>xbel conversion. I've employed it with my own huge number of bookmarks, and it works, nicely.

Fortunately, it hasn't inverted everything in my case.....

Cheers.

kerl

#33 Post by kerl »

This is blazing fast on my desktop pc with winxp!!
Pity it does not work on latest Slacko 6.3
Please fix it!

Could anyone contact QtWeb's author to see if he'd want to keep updating this marvel? His approach is following the engine used by Safari. Dunno if Nokia's Qt is a special flavour of Qt library

OscarTalks

#34 Post by OscarTalks »

kerl wrote:This is blazing fast on my desktop pc with winxp!!
Pity it does not work on latest Slacko 6.3
Please fix it!

Could anyone contact QtWeb's author to see if he'd want to keep updating this marvel? His approach is following the engine used by Safari. Dunno if Nokia's Qt is a special flavour of Qt library
If I may interject, the "official" binary does not run in lots of Puppies including Slacko 6.3.0 and since it is pre-compiled it is not something which is easily "fixed" as such.

If you are keen to run QtWeb version 3.8.5 (build 108) one solution is to use the one mentioned here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 1&start=11 although I would recommend a few tweaks to the icons and .desktop file to make things appear in JWM windows and the Menu fully. This version appears to have been compiled from source by one of our Japanese friends in Puppy 431 so it will run in lots of Puppy variants. I notice that the binary is quite a bit larger than the "official" one from the website, but at least it does work. I have uploaded a tweaked package to http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks for now in case you would like to give it a try.

NOTE this version stores its data under /root/.config and NOT inside the directory where it lives.

The project appears to be discontinued but good luck to anyone wishing to try to revive or fork it.
Oscar in England

kerl

#35 Post by kerl »

Oscar, Ta!!!!
Someone stop my bitch! she's got nuts and run like a greyhound :shock:

trister

#36 Post by trister »

If anyone is interested,

I have made the original package to an SFS

QtWeb385Browser.squashfs https://1fichier.com/?p12stjlpjo

It runs fine in my 64bit debiandog system . It is the 32bit version just rename it to QtWeb385Browser.sfs and -with a bit of luck- it will run

Pelo

QtWeb 3.8.4 included in Hungarian Slegopen explodes

#37 Post by Pelo »

QtWeb 3.8.4 included in Hungarian Slegopen explodes when opening Facebook, security something. QTWeb 3.8.5 is welcome, and i will load SFS in my tool case.