Gimp sfs for Tahrpup64 6.0.5? (Solved)

Paint programs, vector editors, 3d modelers, animation editors, etc.
friendofjane

Gimp sfs for Tahrpup64 6.0.5? (Solved)

#1 Post by friendofjane »

Hi,

recently I changed from puppy precise to Ubuntu Tahr64 and I am really contented with this distribution. The boot is very quick (I chose a save-directory instead of a puppy safe file).

Now I'm looking for gimp.

I first tried to install gimp with setup-> "quickpet tahr" where gimp is listed in the category Graphics. The install failed because a lots of libraries were missing and could not be provided by my repositories. (I have the standard repositories, i.e. puppy-noarch-official, ubuntu-trusty-main, ubuntu-trusty-multiverse, ubuntu-trusty-universe, puppy-tahr64-official).

I don't mind, I'm fine with having gimp by a sfs file, as I had on the Precise distribution.

I tried a lots of different sfs-files. They all load on-the-fly, but gimp does not start when I launch it.

Now I found one which is working: gimp&mypaint-x86-53.sfs, but it is a sfs-file for gimp and mypaint. I don't need mypaint and by the way, mypaint does not start; only gimp's working.

I prefer to have a "clean" sfs file which delivers only gimp.

So here is my question: do you know where I can find a "gimp-only" sfs file which works on tahr64 6.0.5 ?

Thank you for any advise.
Last edited by friendofjane on Wed 22 Mar 2017, 14:24, edited 1 time in total.

drunkjedi

#2 Post by drunkjedi »

I had made a Gimp sfs by downloading all .deb files of Gimp and it's dependencies from Package Manager.
Then extracting them all in a folder and making sfs of that folder.
But I haven't used tahr64 in long time, as I mostly use Fatdog64, which already has Gimp inbuilt.
I will see if the sfs is still there or deleted in my last cleanup drive, if it isn't there, I will try to make a new one and upload tomorrow.

friendofjane

#3 Post by friendofjane »

Thank you !
Distro: Ubuntu Tahr 64 6.0.5 on usb stick

drunkjedi

#4 Post by drunkjedi »

Hi friend,

Sorry for being late, I got busy at work.
Here's link to the file, http://www.filedropper.com/gimp2810-0ubuntu11amd64

I am using this filedropper first time, as it lets me share file without login. Please tell if any problem for downloading.

Also I am just a user like you not a developer. So my troubleshooting capabilities are very limited.
Please see if everything works and ask here.
I tested it on fresh Tahr64 with bugfixes applied and devx sfs file loaded.

Anyway, I am gonna make a simple How-to about making sfs files from PPM packages.
Hopefully it will get included in Puppy Newsletter.

rockedge

#5 Post by rockedge »

very interested in your sfs construction methods!!
I use the PPM as a guide as to what is needed for a package but tend to download the .debs directly and extract them to my working-directory which will be squashed.

I could save some time by letting the PPM download the necessary .debs and I could then work with them in manually.

friendofjane

#6 Post by friendofjane »

Hi drunkjedi,

thank you very much, I just downloaded the file, it works like a charm.

This is a clean sfs file for gimp on this distribution.
Even the "save for web" plugin is there, I'm happy!
Distro: Ubuntu Tahr 64 6.0.5 on usb stick

drunkjedi

#7 Post by drunkjedi »

I just entered 'gimp' in Puppy Package Manager and selected all those packages, including plugins, except 'help' file packages.
Then selected option to not to install them but download all packages and their dependencies, then made sfs of it.

I don't know much about gimp or the plugins.
I only use it to lightly adjust levels in my photos.
Only once I used it to sharpen photos of my daughter which were taken by mobile cam and were not looking good on enlargement.
I used following tutorial https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Smart_Sharpening
It really did wonders to the prints.

Have fun friend.

drunkjedi

#8 Post by drunkjedi »

rockedge wrote:very interested in your sfs construction methods!!
I use the PPM as a guide as to what is needed for a package but tend to download the .debs directly and extract them to my working-directory which will be squashed.

I could save some time by letting the PPM download the necessary .debs and I could then work with them in manually.
Sorry I didn't see your post.
Yes PPM does save time in hunting down dependencies.
Just edit the download path in PPM settings. I make it to a /temp/test folder.
Then select 'No install,Download package and all dependencies' option in PPM near 'do it' switch.
Use a script to extract all debs.
Make sfs.
Works like a charm.
You just need some editing/symlinking.

I am making a how to thread tomorrow. Will send it to Puppy Newsletter too.

rockedge

#9 Post by rockedge »

Excellent!! I was inspired by your post and figured out how to download to a created directory using the PPM! I was able to build a complete zoneminder package SFS and PET for very fast method to install zoneminder into a Puppy Linux Tahr set up.

Looking forward to the Puppy Newsletter!!!

Thanks again for the help.