Dpup-Stretch-700 DELUXE

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
mcewanw

#41 Post by mcewanw »

belham2 wrote: P.S. Fred, can you find that crazy "Cherrytree" main menu? Even if you delete it out of jwmrc (all of them), plus I've removed every hint of Cherrytree from the system
I don't know anything about the Cherrytree menu on your system, but I have to say I love that Cherrytree program. I never took to Notecase but Cherrytree is wonderful IMO.

In fact I'm using it for pretty much everything I do now. Even if I bother putting Geany on my system, still I tend to copy into Cherrytree (of course can also use Cherrytree to link to existing documents. Has syntax highlighting for many programming languages so good for that too.

I'm using current latest Ubuntu version 0.38.0-1) in both my XenialDog and dCore-xenial installations from PPA here:

https://launchpad.net/~giuspen/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

William
github mcewanw

fredx181

#42 Post by fredx181 »

Good Morning Belham,

Here's (see attached) gtk2 yad built on dpup-stretch (binary)
And (for fun :) here some animated gifs (installed weX on your dpup-stretch, made screencast using "Area" and used gifenc):

Dogradio works/looks better with this yad (setting theme, e.g. dark theme works)
Btw, dogradio is not properly installed on your dpup-stretch (e.g. folder /usr/local/.dogradio is missing)
I removed ~/.dogradio first and installed dogradio_0.0.7b_i386.deb from here, and works fine
https://debiandog.github.io/Stretch/i38 ... ges/Extra/

Fred
Attachments
yad.tar.gz
Latest yad built with gtk2
(84.36 KiB) Downloaded 168 times

belham2

#43 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:Good Morning Belham,

Here's (see attached) gtk2 yad built on dpup-stretch (binary)
And (for fun :) here some animated gifs (installed weX on your dpup-stretch, made screencast using "Area" and used gifenc):

Dogradio works/looks better with this yad (setting theme, e.g. dark theme works)
Btw, dogradio is not properly installed on your dpup-stretch (e.g. folder /usr/local/.dogradio is missing)
I removed ~/.dogradio first and installed dogradio_0.0.7b_i386.deb from here, and works fine
https://debiandog.github.io/Stretch/i38 ... ges/Extra/

Fred
Hi Fred,

Those gifs are great. :lol: Going to work on trying my own in a bit, see if i can do it.

Also, regarding DogRadio, I am not sure why you say it isn't installed correctly? I've been using it all morning (in fact, been using it for the past couple of weeks in this dpup) and it works great, playing all stations, saving whatever new ones I grab, etc, etc. What's not working?? Is it really a problem if the .dogradio folder is in /root as opposed to /usr/local?? I"ll look closer and see if I can understand whats going on, and then make the change inclusive for the next upload.

This morning, I have installed and been playing with Radky's excellent fbbox 4.0 window manager. Had to manually install it though...even with DEVX loaded, it didn't go correctly trying to use the .pet he has. Fbbox is really nice, and offers a quite interesting take on the main menu and sub-menus. The Fbbox Control Center is super. I think if I can iron everything out----problem is, people (not radky) when they test this stuff or use it, they don't test/use every possible thing in it, along with furthermore flopping back and forth between window managers making sure everything in both, not just one, STILL work. I am going to include it also in the next ISO upload if I can get everything worked out. Right now, I've found conkylive problems and its transparency background issues...if I could just figure out why conky transparency (when running fbbox) no longer works but keeps defaulting to a dead grey colour when flopping to fbbox, but yet works fine when flopping back to JWM, I'll have most of the issues licked for including it in dpup-stretch-700-DELUXE :wink:

Thanks again!

fredx181

#44 Post by fredx181 »

belham2 wrote:Also, regarding DogRadio, I am not sure why you say it isn't installed correctly? I've been using it all morning (in fact, been using it for the past couple of weeks in this dpup) and it works great, playing all stations, saving whatever new ones I grab, etc, etc. What's not working?? Is it really a problem if the .dogradio folder is in /root as opposed to /usr/local?? I"ll look closer and see if I can understand whats going on, and then make the change inclusive for the next upload.
Well yes, that's right, it should work well also if only ~/.dogradio exists.
But after I replaced /usr/bin/yad, the theme settings still didn't work (don't know why actually), so I thought starting "fresh" by deleting the ~/.dogradio config folder, but that didn't work out as expected (/usr/local/.dogradio should be copied to $HOME first time use).
In general btw, I think it's not good that a program depends too much on configuration files in the user's directory.

(sorry, no gif this time :) next time better :wink: )

Fred

belham2

radky's fbbox-4.0 window manager

#45 Post by belham2 »

Wow, radky created something really nice, his "FbBox-4.0 FbPanel & Openbox Desktop Environment". Been playing with it all morning, installed it to dpup-stretch-700-DELUXE manually (using the .pet on radky's thread didn't work fully, so installed it manually and it works great). This is really nice, so it is going to be put in the next ISO I upload (along with other fixes). You'll have a choice of this and/or JWM. The Control Center in FbBox is super (check the 2nd pic below)! :wink:
Attachments
radky's-fbbox-fbpanel-and-Openbox-DE-to-be-included-in-next-uploaded-ISO.jpg
(34.77 KiB) Downloaded 312 times
FbBox-Control-Center-accessible-via-menu-or-anywhere-desktop-right-click-.jpg
(40.93 KiB) Downloaded 314 times

Galbi

#46 Post by Galbi »

belham2 wrote:Hi Fred & all,

False alarm about browsers and uploading when clicking on any site's "Browse" button to upload and watching the browser immediately crash/shutdown. Whew, lol :roll:

The only way thus occurs (which I had did yesterday) is if you do this: to remove "pcmanfm" completely via the main-menu-SETUP-Remove Builtin Packages (RBP). RBP quickly removed pcmanfm, nothing else, but sure enough it caused all browsers to immediately crash when on a website and clicking their 'browse' and/or 'upload' buttons. Pcmanfm is needed in some way for HTML-web-pages 'browse' or 'upload' clickable buttons to work. Wish it wasn't so, and it could be ROX, but I haven't yet figured out how to make this change and/or if it is even possibe.:
:? I'm afraid I have bad news, this problem affects all apps that calls the File>>Open dialog box.

Not only the web browsers, it happens with Geany, with Xarchiver, with LibreOffice...

Other apps that use a different file open dialog (like mtPaint, mtCell or InkscapeLite) do not have this problem.

I have unistalled pcmanfm through RBP, but no way, the apps still crash.

Some missing lib, perhaps?

Saludos.
Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]

belham2

#47 Post by belham2 »

Galbi wrote:
belham2 wrote:Hi Fred & all,

False alarm about browsers and uploading when clicking on any site's "Browse" button to upload and watching the browser immediately crash/shutdown. Whew, lol :roll:

The only way thus occurs (which I had did yesterday) is if you do this: to remove "pcmanfm" completely via the main-menu-SETUP-Remove Builtin Packages (RBP). RBP quickly removed pcmanfm, nothing else, but sure enough it caused all browsers to immediately crash when on a website and clicking their 'browse' and/or 'upload' buttons. Pcmanfm is needed in some way for HTML-web-pages 'browse' or 'upload' clickable buttons to work. Wish it wasn't so, and it could be ROX, but I haven't yet figured out how to make this change and/or if it is even possibe.:
:? I'm afraid I have bad news, this problem affects all apps that calls the File>>Open dialog box.

Not only the web browsers, it happens with Geany, with Xarchiver, with LibreOffice...

Other apps that use a different file open dialog (like mtPaint, mtCell or InkscapeLite) do not have this problem.

I have unistalled pcmanfm through RBP, but no way, the apps still crash.

Some missing lib, perhaps?

Saludos.

Galbi,

Oh no, :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: through language barrier I am afraid you did EXACTLY opposite of what you were supposed to do.

PCManFM cannot be removed. It cannot be touched. I was describing how I created the situation I did, and it was BECAUSE I had removed PCManFM that the behavior was happening. Since you removed PCManFM, it is going to affect a ton of things.

Argh. And I do not think you can re-install PCManFM now, and just be ok. Try this first:

1) Load the DEVXvia SFS-Load before you do anything

2) Go into PPM, and see if you can install PCManFM.

3) If any message comes up through PPM, click "OK". If not, fully wait for PPM to finish.

4) Then use SFS-Load to to unload the DEVX.

5) Reboot.

6) And see (hopefully) everything is back to normal.

Please accept my apology for not writing clearly :oops: in the previous messages for what a 'user' is supposed to do and "not supposed" to do.

Let me know what happens when you do the above 6 steps.

fredx181

#48 Post by fredx181 »

Galbi wrote: I'm afraid I have bad news, this problem affects all apps that calls the File>>Open dialog box.

Can you check in PPM if you have package "libglib2.0-0_2.50.3-1" installed?
(It's depencency of many programs)
If so, try to uninstall it and see if the problem is still there.
I had the same problem and solved it that way by uninstalling (it's safe because the libglib2.0 library is already built in, but in another directory, so in fact "double installed" which may be the reason for the crashing, not sure, just guessing)

Fred

belham2

#49 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:
Galbi wrote: I'm afraid I have bad news, this problem affects all apps that calls the File>>Open dialog box.

Can you check in PPM if you have package "libglib2.0-0_2.50.3-1" installed?
(It's depencency of many programs)
If so, try to uninstall it and see if the problem is still there.
I had the same problem and solved it that way by uninstalling (it's safe because the libglib2.0 library is already built in, but in another directory, so in fact "double installed" which may be the reason for the crashing, not sure, just guessing)

Fred
...and IF you follow Fred's advice, please be safe and load the DEVX before opening the PPM and doing anything.....just trying to be safe here. :cry:

fredx181

#50 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Belham,

Very strange, I uninstalled pcmanfm also from "remove-builtin-packages" (just to test) and all "Open File" dialogs are still working fine for me.
These "Open File" dialogs are not depending on any file-manager to have installed, I'm almost sure.
Probably what I wrote in my previous (and earlier) post is more close to what's the problem (libglib2.0).
If you don't have libglib2.0 installed (through PPM) just try to install it and you''ll probably see the crashing of all programs when using "Open File" dialog (anyway it was for me). Can you test that?

Fred

belham2

#51 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:Hi Belham,

Very strange, I uninstalled pcmanfm also from "remove-builtin-packages" (just to test) and all "Open File" dialogs are still working fine for me.
These "Open File" dialogs are not depending on any file-manager to have installed, I'm almost sure.
Probably what I wrote in my previous (and earlier) post is more close to what's the problem (libglib2.0).
If you don't have libglib2.0 installed (through PPM) just try to install it and you''ll probably see the crashing of all programs when using "Open File" dialog (anyway it was for me). Can you test that?

Fred
Fred,

Ssssssh.. Be quiet!...I am expecting here....lol..oh the pains, wha am I doing wrong?.......trying to give birth to my first GIF.....lol.... :lol:
:lol: :lol:

P.S. yes, I'll test it tonight or tomorrow morning...right now, I want my first GIF to work!!! :wink:

fredx181

#52 Post by fredx181 »

belham2 wrote:
Ssssssh.. Be quiet!...I am expecting here....lol..oh the pains, wha am I doing wrong?.......trying to give birth to my first GIF.....lol.... :lol:
:lol: :lol:

P.S. yes, I'll test it tonight or tomorrow morning...right now, I want my first GIF to work!!! :wink:
Ah, you became gif-aholic, good!, welcome to the club 8) Btw, you accidentally know what the word "gif" means in Dutch? :twisted:

Take it easy, you'll get there!! (or maybe with a little help from your friends)

Fred

Sailor Enceladus

#53 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

edit: Nevermind.

Galbi

#54 Post by Galbi »

Well, to make things a bit more interesting... now I'm at home, that means, another computer (old Pentium IV) and everything works fine.

Just to discard, I've installed the same than in the other, the machine in my work, where apps crash at file opening.

Very strange, it's the same ISO, and in both machines DEVX loaded.

Maybe something hardware related? :? Does not sound probable.

To try to uninstall that libglib2.... lib, I have to wait till Monday, when back to work.

Saludos.

P.S. Beham2 please, don't feel bad, the problem was there before I've uninstalled pcmanfm. I did it just to test what happens, I understood you right, no language problem, this time... :)
Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]

fredx181

#55 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Belham and everyone,

I tried latest dpup-stretch ISO from ttuuxxx
As I was curious I installed "libglib2.0-0_2.50.3-1" from PPM to see if the same problem with pcmanfm and the "Open with" dialogs occurs.
And yes, after that, pcmanfm segfaults, and all applications I tried to open a file or folder with did crash.
So looks to me more like a general problem (woof-CE?) not a problem only for dpup-stretch-DELUXE.

Fred

pemasu

#56 Post by pemasu »

https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... 1e29ea2cab

The problem with debian or ubuntu glib and pup-volume-monitor is well known.

I believe that the problem in this case is caused by using woof-ce as starting point and then adding extra apps and libs to the base version, possibly by using ppm and pets and then remastering the result as new distro. And somewhere during that process the debian glib has been added with pup-volume-monitor co-existing. The fixed glib (zzz_glib-2.50.3-i686-dpup-stretch) also installs the content to the different places than debian original, which causes that debian glib is effectively in use causing conflict with pup-volume-monitor and crippling the pcmanfm.

Also this problem has been discussed in the dpup stretch thread.

belham2

#57 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:Hi Belham and everyone,

As I was curious I installed "libglib2.0-0_2.50.3-1" from PPM to see if the same problem with pcmanfm and the "Open with" dialogs occurs.
And yes, after that, pcmanfm segfaults, and all applications I tried to open a file or folder with did crash.
So looks to me more like a general problem (woof-CE?) not a problem only for dpup-stretch-DELUXE.

Fred

Hi Fred!

Family duty today, lol, plus made myself stay in the sunshine and get some exercise. Hope you were able to get outside too. spring is coming for us in this part of the world :) So what do I do about the "libglib" thing? It sounds from pemasu's explanation that we're just whistling past the graveyard in whatever choice I make in the ISO. I never remastered this ISO I put up...it is all built-in (well, sneaking some of it in to the woof-CE build process) and also just SFS-Edit the main puppy.sfs. But I am not sure what to do, other than just keep going with how things are. What do you think??

fredx181

#58 Post by fredx181 »

belham2 wrote:
fredx181 wrote:Hi Belham and everyone,

Fred

Hi Fred!

Family duty today, lol, plus made myself stay in the sunshine and get some exercise. Hope you were able to get outside too. spring is coming for us in this part of the world :) So what do I do about the "libglib" thing? It sounds from pemasu's explanation that we're just whistling past the graveyard in whatever choice I make in the ISO. I never remastered this ISO I put up...it is all built-in (well, sneaking some of it in to the woof-CE build process) and also just SFS-Edit the main puppy.sfs. But I am not sure what to do, other than just keep going with how things are. What do you think??
Ah, good! Yes, I got some sunshine vitamin D also today, very needed after this endless winter!

About "libglib", I don't know (as you know, I am not at all into woof-CE)
A "workaround" is to uninstall libglib2.0 package as soon as it's installed by PPM as a dependency of some application, but that is not a solution, of course.
Someone who knows a lot about building Puppy (and woof-CE) can probably fix it.
pemasu wrote:Also this problem has been discussed in the dpup stretch thread.
I missed that, maybe they have found solution?

EDIT: About it here, exactly the problem as far as I can see, when libglib2.0 installed in different places /usr/lib and /lib:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 211#946211
EDIT2: further reading from there it looks like the problem has been fixed, but apparently not?! :?:

Fred

belham2

#59 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote: I missed that, maybe they have found solution?

EDIT: About it here, exactly the problem as far as I can see, when libglib2.0 installed in different places /usr/lib and /lib:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 211#946211

Fred

Well, then, that's just plain weird. My uploaded ISO's woof-CE build date (db-date file in builin_files at ~/.packages) is 15 March. This is a full 10 days after ttuuxxx made the corrections in the woof-CE build. As he discussed afterwards, it was fixed, and my build shows the zzz-glib included. So now I am totally lost, ugh, what to do. This building ISOs gets weirder and weirder :roll:

P.S. Me thinks its getting near time you hit us with one of your new DD releases...maybe a stretch version???, which will, as usual, be better than what I've cobbled together here with woof-CE. You still thinking about something maybe for early summer release??

fredx181

#60 Post by fredx181 »

belham wrote:Well, then, that's just plain weird. My uploaded ISO's woof-CE build date (db-date file in builin_files at ~/.packages) is 15 March. This is a full 10 days after ttuuxxx made the corrections in the woof-CE build. As he discussed afterwards, it was fixed, and my build shows the zzz-glib included. So now I am totally lost, ugh, what to do. This building ISOs gets weirder and weirder

And the latest ISO from ttuuxxx is dated 22 march and has the same issue.
P.S. Me thinks its getting near time you hit us with one of your new DD releases...maybe a stretch version???, which will, as usual, be better than what I've cobbled together here with woof-CE. You still thinking about something maybe for early summer release??
Yes, will probably make new stretch-doggie in summer, but I did made (already some time ago, you didn't notice maybe) a testing version:
https://github.com/DebianDog/Stretch/bl ... /README.md

EDIT: You might be judging too hard about woof-CE/Stretch, it's all very new development stage, it has to grow, btw, -as I may have said earlier- Debian Stretch isn't 'stable' branch yet which makes it double experimental IMHO.

Fred