palemoon browser

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
sindi

27.1 SSE uses less CPU than 27.2 SSE2 on 1.5GHz ACER 4001LCi

#381 Post by sindi »

Youtube video (default resolution), Lucid 2016 with 2.6 kernel and VESA video (Xorg won't work with this kernel, buggy intel driver).

2005 low-end laptop, 1.5GHz, with integrated Intel 855GM graphics.

Pale Moon 27.1 SSE (Walter's) browser 89% X 6% cpu
Pale Moon 27.2 SSE2 (official) browser 92% X 4% cpu

They both look okay. Do they both use ffmpeg instead of gstreamer?
Why would the CPU usage be higher with SSE than SSE2 video?

sulu2 (lucid puppy with kernel 3.2) withy 27.2 Pale Moon and Xorg displayed about one image every 30 seconds. I will confirm.

Walter Dnes

Re: 27.1 SSE uses less CPU than 27.2 SSE2 on 1.5GHz ACER 4001LCi

#382 Post by Walter Dnes »

sindi wrote:Youtube video (default resolution), Lucid 2016 with 2.6 kernel and VESA video (Xorg won't work with this kernel, buggy intel driver).

2005 low-end laptop, 1.5GHz, with integrated Intel 855GM graphics.
Partial kernel support for the "Poulsbo" GMA500 video chips was included as of kernel 3.18.
sindi wrote:They both look okay. Do they both use ffmpeg instead of gstreamer?
Yes
sindi wrote:Why would the CPU usage be higher with SSE than SSE2 video?
Sorry, I'm confused. The post title says 27.1 SSE uses less than 27.2 SSE2. Here you're saying it uses more?

sindi

SSE uses slightly less CPU than SSE2

#383 Post by sindi »

The SSE-only Pale Moon uses slightly less CPU than the SSE2 version for Youtube.

No difference between VESA (2.6 kernel) and Xorg (3.2 kernel).

Total CPU usage occasionally shoots up to about 100%, causing slight jerkiness on 2004 Acer
4001LCi using HTML5. HTML5 only goes up to 360p.

Flash uses less CPU on my P3 and does 480 and 720p.

Mplayer works properly with Xorg (not VESA on the Acer) in smtube.
Smtube with mplayer does 240 360 720 but not 480p.
Does VLC do 480p in smtube?

sindi

HTML5 higher resolutions in youtube

#384 Post by sindi »

Posting in forum about browsers for Puppy says HTML5 will go up to 720p in Youtube, or even
higher if you set media.mediasource.enabled true (go to about:config) in Firefox 36. It is
already TRUE in Palemoon 27.2. A youtube video listed as 1020p offers me the choice of Auto
or 360p. Youtube says to use Chrome, Safari, IE, or Firefox on recent Windows or Mac for more
video choices. Does anyone get even 480p with HTML5 at youtube (Pale Moon 27.2)?

I see a gstreamer setting but not a mediasource setting in Palemoon 26.5 (also only 360p).

My netbook resolution is 1024x600 but I think Smtube set to 720p will fill the screen (360p
does not).

Walter Dnes

Re: HTML5 higher resolutions in youtube

#385 Post by Walter Dnes »

sindi wrote:Posting in forum about browsers for Puppy says HTML5 will go up to 720p in Youtube, or even higher if you set media.mediasource.enabled true (go to about:config) in Firefox 36. It is already TRUE in Palemoon 27.2. A youtube video listed as 1020p offers me the choice of Auto or 360p. Youtube says to use Chrome, Safari, IE, or Firefox on recent Windows or Mac for more video choices. Does anyone get even 480p with HTML5 at youtube (Pale Moon 27.2)?
Another set of MSE settings in Pale Moon. Follow the Pale Moon menu...

Edit ==> Preferences ==> Content

On the mid-bottom left are 3 check-boxes for MSE. I've enabled them all.
sindi wrote:I see a gstreamer setting but not a mediasource setting in Palemoon 26.5 (also only 360p).
I don't know if it was even available in that version.
sindi wrote:My netbook resolution is 1024x600 but I think Smtube set to 720p will fill the screen (360p does not).
The Youtube roller coaster video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dC6uJDNf64 may be too much for your system. It shows options for 144, 240, 360, 480, 720, and 1080. The numbers listed are for the vertical resolution, e.g.
480 ==> 640x480
720 ==> 1280x720
1080 ==> 1920x1080

1024x600 sounds weird. I assume you're using VESA. Have you tried the fbdev driver under X?

Walter Dnes

Re: SSE uses slightly less CPU than SSE2

#386 Post by Walter Dnes »

sindi wrote:The SSE-only Pale Moon uses slightly less CPU than the SSE2 version for Youtube.
This could be a situation where there is no real difference, and you hit something random. You'd need to repeat the test 10 times each way to average out the random variations.

sindi

Higher resolution with pale moon html5

#387 Post by sindi »

Another set of MSE settings in Pale Moon. Follow the Pale Moon menu...

Edit ==> Preferences ==> Content

On the mid-bottom left are 3 check-boxes for MSE. I've enabled them all.
----
two were already checked - I checked enable MSE for WebM and I now can choose 144 240 360 480p (probably more for some videos).

Why is this box unchecked by default?

My 2005 DELL B130 uses 50% of cpu to play 360p video with Flash 24.
It uses 95% of cpu (includng X) to play 360p with HTML5 usably,.
It uses 88% of cpu to play 480p with HTML5 but sound is out of sync.
(The 88 vs 95 could be related to a busier section of the video)

On my 2008 netbook I think Flash and HTML5 used the same cpu %.

Is there any advantage to HTML5 instead of flash?

While researching this I read that flash consumes more power, does not work on a touch screen or on apple devices, and that HTML5 runs 58% faster. Also Flash in linux uses the CPU for graphics processing, which could explain why SSE and SSE2 versions of Pale Moon use the same CPU percentage with Flash (but I think also with HTML5).

On most of my hardware Flash uses far less CPU than HTML5 and works much better.

[quote="sindi"]I see a gstreamer setting but not a mediasource setting in Palemoon 26.5 (also only 360p).[/quote]
I don't know if it was even available in that version.

What is Mediasource?

-------------------

[quote="sindi"]My netbook resolution is 1024x600 but I think Smtube set to 720p will fill the screen (360p does not).[/quote]

The Youtube roller coaster video [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dC6uJDNf64[/url] may be too much for your system. It shows options for 144, 240, 360, 480, 720, and 1080. The numbers listed are for the vertical resolution, e.g.
480 ==> 640x480
720 ==> 1280x720
1080 ==> 1920x1080

Why try to play 1080p on a 1024x600 screen?.
I presume the 720p is converted to display at 600p.

1024x600 sounds weird. I assume you're using VESA. Have you tried the fbdev driver under X?

Xorg with the Acer netbook offers 1024x600, 800x600, 640x480 720x400 640x400 640x350

HP netbook does 1024x568

Walter Dnes

Re: Higher resolution with pale moon html5

#388 Post by Walter Dnes »

sindi wrote:two were already checked - I checked enable MSE for WebM and I now can choose 144 240 360 480p (probably more for some videos).

Why is this box unchecked by default?
The 27.2.0 release announcement https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15169 mentions...
Fixed some more playback issues with MP4/MSE videos.
Please be aware that we are still working on further improving MSE video handling.
...so the developers may not be 100% happy with it yet, and turned it off by default to play safe.
sindi wrote:Is there any advantage to HTML5 instead of flash?
Flash is a scripting and development environment that does a lot more than merely play video. It seems to have lots of security issues. That's one reason many websites are abandoning it now. Which is faster... that depends on whether Flash can accelerate your video display, versus can your browser accelerate your video display. Flash is usually faster, but browsers are starting to catch up with acceleration.
sindi wrote:What is Mediasource?
From Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Source_Extensions
Media Source Extensions (MSE) is a W3C specification that allows JavaScript to send byte streams to media codecs within web browsers that support HTML5 video. Among other possible uses, this allows the implementation of client-side prefetching and buffering code for streaming media entirely in JavaScript. It is compatible with, but should not be confused with, the Encrypted Media Extensions specification, and neither requires the use of the other.

Netflix announced experimental support in June 2014 for the use of MSE playback on the Safari browser on the OS X Yosemite beta release.

YouTube started using MSE with its HTML5 player in September 2013.

Walter Dnes

Re: Higher resolution with pale moon html5

#389 Post by Walter Dnes »

Walter Dnes wrote:Which is faster... that depends on whether Flash can accelerate your video display, versus can your browser accelerate your video display. Flash is usually faster, but browsers are starting to catch up with acceleration.
Speaking of browser acceleration, when you go to "about:support", in the "Graphics" section, what does the line "GPU Accelerated Windows" report?

Walter Dnes

Pale Moon minor update to v 27.2.1

#390 Post by Walter Dnes »

Pale Moon minor update to v 27.2.1 This is a small update to fix some stability and usability issues. See https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15260 for details. The mainstream linux release (32 and 64 bit) is available via http://linux.palemoon.org/

The SSE linux release (for Pentium 3 class machines) can be downloaded from URL ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE- ... 86.tar.bz2 Since the SSE build is not a mainstream build, it has to be installed manually. See the first post in Pale Moon forum thread https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=13530 for manual install instructions.

sindi

Graphics of Dell Inspiron B130 and Pale Moon

#391 Post by sindi »

DELL Inspiron B130 circa 2005 (DDR2 PC2-4200
1.5GHz cpu that tests slow with blowfish)
915GM, i915 driver in Xorg, lucid retro

Pale Moon 27.2.0 (have not yet updated)

about:support, Graphics

Adapter Description: GLX extension missing

CPU Accelerated Windows: 0/1 Basic Blocked for your graphics driver version. Try updating your graphics driver version
to <anything with Ext_texture_from_pixmap support> or newer
(is this relevant for youtube or just games?)

WebGL Renderer: blocked for your graphics card because of unresolved driver issues (for 3D rendering)
(WebGL was released in 2011)

false
(Azure...)
cairo
cairo
none

Intel integrated Media Accelerator 900 graphics card, GMA900
333MHz core, DirectX 9 hardware acceleration, Open GL 1.4, 3D

GMA 2004 for low-cost market. 900 was the first of the series. Use main memory, up to 128MB, instead of video memory.
Relies on the host CPU to do a lot of the graphics processing. (As do all video cards in linux using Flash).
GMA 900 series includes 910G, 915G, 915Gx.

So this is a slow video chip that uses a slow CPU to do a lot of its processing.
But Flash in linux uses the CPU not the graphics card for processing (SSE and SSE2 are both irrelevant).
Why is Flash better at youtube here and on other older laptops?

Walter Dnes

Re: Graphics of Dell Inspiron B130 and Pale Moon

#392 Post by Walter Dnes »

sindi wrote:So this is a slow video chip that uses a slow CPU to do a lot of its processing. But Flash in linux uses the CPU not the graphics card for processing (SSE and SSE2 are both irrelevant). Why is Flash better at youtube here and on other older laptops?
Actually, Flash does try to use hardware acceleration, if available. The Flash config file is /etc/adobe/mms.cfg and it mentions hardware acceleration. Flash talks directly to the video chip to execute graphics primitives. HTML5 talks to the browser which talks to the WebGL driver which talks to the video chip. Flash was talking to the video chip before WebGL existed.

Can you try sulu 2? It supports acceleration on my T400 notebook, probably due to more up-to-date kernel and libs and drivers..

mikeslr

Palemoon for Carolina-Vanguard

#393 Post by mikeslr »

Just a note that watchdog's "palemoon...precise" pet, available here, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 157#936686 worked OOTB under Carolina-Vanguard.

Nice work, watchdog. :D

mikesLr

tallboy

#394 Post by tallboy »

I made a post in RetroTechGuy's thread Chronic Firefox crashes - [Not solved - but Palemoon runs], recommending PaleMoon - which maybe deserves to be mentioned here also. The PaleMoon version is 27.2.1.

But I have a problem: How do I remove the 'Bookmark this page' and 'Go' buttons from the urlbar/address field? I have seen a recipe on how to make a userChrome.css file, and placed it in /opt/palemoon/browser/chrome/. It doesn't work, does anyone have a better recipe?
I cannot find any other chrome file in my LupuPlus 5.2.8.005-1, is there a better location? I have also placed a relative link to the file in the .moonchild productions directory.

Code: Select all

/* Remove Bookmark Star in Search bar */
#star-button {
  display: none !important;
}
/* Remove Go button from address bar */
#go-button-stack, .search-go-button-stack { display: none !important; }

#BookmarksMenu #feedsMenu {display: none !important;}
#BookmarksMenu #feedsMenu + menuseparator {display: none !important;}
tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

Walter Dnes

#395 Post by Walter Dnes »

Assuming that Pale Moon and Firefox haven't diverged too far yet, see http://kb.mozillazine.org/index.php?tit ... ntable=yes for info. You have to...
  1. dive into the specific profile folder
  2. create a "chrome" subdirectory in the profile folder, if one does not exist
  3. create file "userChrome.css" in the chrome subdirectory
EDIT:
If that doesn't work, try the official Pale Moon forum. The Linux version subforum is https://forum.palemoon.org/viewforum.php?f=37

tallboy

#396 Post by tallboy »

Thank you, but you describe paths to what I already have done.

I must add that the userchrome.css file starts with:
@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gateke ... s.only.xul);

The only other placce I find 'chrome' mentioned at all, is in the file /root/.moonchild productions/xulstore.json. I don't know if that file can be modified.

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

Pelo

Duck duck go set to less 18 years old,

#397 Post by Pelo »

Information Palemoon default browser in LXpup Xenial has Duck duck go set to less 18 years old, is you search movies on the web

mikeslr

DuckDuckGo -- Safe Search

#398 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

I'm not sure where the indefatigable Pelo obtained the information that DuckDuckGo searches from palemoon and netsurf browsers are set to treat the user as being under 18 years of age, but I became curious.

A quick "google" -- never got beyond the first couple of links before changing the search argument-- revealed, https://duck.co/help/features/safe-search.

Safe search is DuckDuckgo's default setting, regardless of which OS or web-browser it is run from. It removes explicit content from results. It can be turned off. But, unless I'm mistaken, doing so will be a PITA. You have to append !safeoff to each search; but in theory, can turn it off generally. The latter isn't a setting of your browser which you can change by first typing about:config into the address box. Rather, you have to do so by opening this webpage: https://duckduckgo.com/settings.

Is DuckDuckGo being more intrusive than google? Is it keeping track on its servers who does turn off SafeSearch? And what else? How is that change communicated to one's computer, and where on the computer is it stored? I could find only one file relating to DuckDuckGo on my computer, an xml in /opt/palemoon.../searchplugins. It did not appear to me to have code relating to SafeSearch except perhaps as a consequence of searches being directed to DuckDuckGo's website. But, I'm not fluent in xml.

And I don't understand the reasoning behind DuckDuckGo's restriction. Yes, the WorldWideWeb has some nasty places and DuckDuckGo will protect our children from finding some of them. But, how do we compel our children to only use DuckDuckGo? Monitor their web-browsing activities (a good idea) and flog them if they ever use google, Bing etc? Also, perhaps, espoused as a good idea if you search "disciplining children" using other than DuckDuckGo.

mikesLr

Walter Dnes

Re: DuckDuckGo -- Safe Search

#399 Post by Walter Dnes »

mikeslr wrote:Is DuckDuckGo being more intrusive than google? Is it keeping track on its servers who does turn off SafeSearch? And what else? How is that change communicated to one's computer, and where on the computer is it stored?
My first guess would be that the preference is stored in a cookie.

8Geee

#400 Post by 8Geee »

Pelo and I had a few posts here about DDG... it appears theres a European version of the site (either .eu or .nl) thats not quite right. Pelo had similar troubles, not being able to connect to certain sites when using that particular portal. I'm not sure if using DDG as a dot com circumvents this bug... it may route through the buggy portal.

Also, many of the "more secure" portals do just this, ixquick for one does, and yes, one does have to go into settings to disable family filters, and unrestricted search. In the case of ixquick, one can set a link to the settings, rather than use a cookie... or just reset to default upon each browser-close.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."