Lucid Puppy Revitalized as 5.2.8.7 - Nov., 2017 - Final

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Pelo

The iso dowloaded will replace my hand-made puplets.

#841 Post by Pelo »

lupusuper1-5.2.8.7-k3.0.25-20161228.iso downloading . Why this one , because i need an antenna for wireless where i live, and some rare kernels are compiled for Antennas. Only an expert can compile them (rcrsn is the one). So now i choose my puppies depending on their kernel, so my laptop can do what my tablet did, before i gave it to children ( i hate typing on screen)
To tell everything i have been changing the kernel of many Lucids with 3.0.25 for three years, because this one is really perfect.
The iso dowloaded will replace my hand-made puplets.
Spring and summer are here, i will bring my computer in my car to find some trees to surf under , Heu, i need wireless access points. I am not completely free, but 300 meters is a lot and give some choice (dongle N300)
Attachments
WifiSea.jpg
Acces point for sailors !
(78.36 KiB) Downloaded 248 times
Last edited by Pelo on Fri 24 Mar 2017, 07:40, edited 1 time in total.

sindi

Poulsbo GMA 500 video NOT in Acer 4001LCi

#842 Post by sindi »

lsmod | grep gma - no results.
lsmod finds i915

The Acer is not an Atom machine. 855GM video.
My 2008 Atom netbooks work fine with Xorg and the 2.6 lucid kernel.

More experimenting.

Wary 5.5. echo mem > /sys/power/state to suspend and hit power button twice to reanimate works.
Lucid 5287 retro - same method worked today. Maybe my timing was off before. With sulu2 hit button just once.

Wary 5.5 - Xorg works. Network Wizard fails to connect to wifi first time, second time connects and assigns IP address.
I think Lucid 5.2.5 also works with both (I can check again).

Lucid 5.2.8.6 with 2.6 or 3.2 kernel - Network Wizard connects on first or second try, but DHCP fails.
(I think Precise has the same problem).

Can Lucid 5287 use the Wizard from Lucid 5.2.5, or from Wary 5.5 (2013), instead of from 5.2.8.6?

Lucid with 2.6 kernel has recently been freezing (no mouse cursor, nothing works) if I type Alt-F2 to switch to a terminal.
It also tries to assign an ip address to eth2 inksys (sic - should be linksys). I had to run e2fsck from CD.

The intended user is used to powering off manually and does not use fbcon or even terminals, so sulu2 does the trick at least with this
ipw2200 wifi card.

rerwin - which page of this forum has instructions for pdiag? Do I run it before or after Network Wizard?
I will send info for ipw2200 Network Wizard then switch to b43 Frisbee.
We have a matched pair of 2005 laptops (mini-PCI) one with each.

rerwin

Re: sulu2 lacking fbcon module

#843 Post by rerwin »

sindi wrote:/etc/rc.d/rc.local contains
modprobe fbcon

But there is no fbcon to insert in /lib/modules/....
(Same problem with Slacko 5).
Sulu2 20161228 has fbcon.ko. You can verify that by looking for:
/initrd/pup_ro2/lib/modules/3.2.48/kernel/drivers/video/console/fbcon.ko
Do sulu3 or sulu4 have fbcon module?
No
Can they suspend to RAM (acpitool -s) and recover from suspension?
I don't know. I have not experimented with acpi-tool nor suspend/resume.
So far sulu2 fixed three problems (Xorg, mplayer, sound), has one left to fix (Network Wizard), and two introduced (no fbcon and won't suspend to RAM).
. . .
Network Wizard is really not needed if Frisbee works.
I have been working on fixing the entire network reboot business, because netwiz is not at fault. I am attaching a temporary prototype of a fix for rebooting with netwiz, because I suspect you are actually seeing the reboot handled by SNS instead of netwiz. Please try it as an experiment only, because I am almost finished with a more complete solution and a fix for the SNS problem of sometimes failing to start the network.
rerwin - which page of this forum has instructions for pdiag? Do I run it before or after Network Wizard?
I will send info for ipw2200 Network Wizard then switch to b43 Frisbee.
We have a matched pair of 2005 laptops (mini-PCI) one with each.
Just type:
pdiag --help
for the explanation of what it does. To use it, just type:
pdiag
and follow its instructions. It puts a pdiag file in /root, which you can then attach to a posting or PM.
You run it after you see a problem. So, run it after netwiz when you don't see a connection. Beware that connecting and disconnecting seems to take awhile, maybe ten seconds or more.

Regarding PCs with 855GM video: They need to use sulu2 because the lupu kernel has a bug that was fixed later and not backported, as far as I can tell.
Attachments
net_setup-20170316-lucid.pet
Prototype fix for incorrect rebooting of network wizard connection -- for testing only!
(A better version is in the works.)
(103.29 KiB) Downloaded 196 times
Last edited by rerwin on Wed 22 Mar 2017, 19:41, edited 2 times in total.

sindi

fbcon in sulu2 present but not working

#844 Post by sindi »

quote="sindi"]/etc/rc.d/rc.local contains
modprobe fbcon

But there is no fbcon to insert in /lib/modules/....
(Same problem with Slacko 5).[/quote]Sulu2 20161228 has fbcon.ko. You can verify that by looking for:
/initrd/pup_ro2/lib/modules/3.2.48/kernel/drivers/video/console/fbcon.ko

--------

My error. The module, with three other related ones, does load, but despite vga=791 in menu.lst, does not work as desired. During boot I see hi-res text at first but it switches to plain VGA (large text) at 'Loading drivers'. Lucid 5.25 I think has fbcon included in the kernel. Tahr too.

Networking problems next..

sindi

sulu2 will not automatically power off

#845 Post by sindi »

[quote]So far sulu2 fixed three problems (Xorg, mplayer, sound), has one left to fix (Network Wizard), and two introduced (no fbcon and won't suspend to RAM). [/quote]

It has fbcon which is not working at least on this one laptop.
It suspends to RAM but does not power down without the power button.

Network Wizard....

sindi

Preliminary fix for network reboot

#846 Post by sindi »

I have been working on fixing the entire network reboot business, because netwiz is not at fault. I am attaching a temporary prototype of a fix for rebooting with netwiz, because I suspect you are actually seeing the reboot handled by SNS instead of netwiz. Please try it as an experiment only, because I am almost finished with a more complete solution and a fix for the SNS problem of sometimes failing to start the network.

end quote
--

I installed the pet, tested in sulu2 that Network Wizard and SNS still do not work, ran Frisbee to reconnect to wifi, rebooted (turned off manually then on again),and wifi connects automatically. I don't recall it ever NOT working on a reboot after Frisbee connected, but I have not kept good notes.

I do recall wifi never working with ndiswrapper on a reboot with a cheap new USB wifi card that also crashed linux frequently.

Should I still run pdiag and then Network Wizard and send the pdiag file?

I have orinoco and b43 mini-PCI cards to try with sulu2 in this laptop, with all three network wizards. And a pair of matching laptops with ipw2200 and br43 mini-PCI, one of which was not working even with Frisbee but was with WIndows 7.

sindi

b43 mini-PCI in Acer 4001LCI works with Lupu 5.2.5 not sulu2

#847 Post by sindi »

Sulu2 on Acer 4001LCi (2004) Network Wizard and Frisbee cannot connect to wifi (WEP).

Lucid 5.2.5 ditto, but Simple Network Setup finds 14 signals and connects.
I think the big Network Wizard worked in 5.2.5 but not in 5.2.8.7 kernel 2.6 or 3.2

sindi

SNS with b43 connects to wifi in Sulu2 Lucid Puppy 5.2.8.7

#848 Post by sindi »

2004 Acer 4001LCI

b43 mini-PCI (2004, like the ipw2200 and the laptop itself)

SNS works with b43 in both Lucid 5.2.5 and sulu2.

Frisbee (not found in 5.2.5) in sulu2 does not work with b43 though it does with ipw2200.

Network Wizard does not work with b43 in sulu2 or 5.2.5, though it does with ipw2200 in 5.2.5. (but not sulu2).

b43 - SNS in sulu2 (probably also retro lupu) and 5.2.5
ipw2200 - Frisbee in sulu2 (and retro lupu), Network Wizard in 5.2.5

I will try another model laptop with b43 and ipw220 with retro lupu (2.6).

sindi

b43legacy not working with lucids or precise

#849 Post by sindi »

The b43 card that works with some network wizards in certain lucid versions does NOT work with frisbee, network wizard, SNS,
in lucid 5.2.5, sulu2, precise 5.7.1 or wary.

Precise 5.7.1 also does not shut down automatically but fbcon works.
Lucid 5.2.5 shuts down, fbcon works, SNS works.

b43 2004 (works) BCM94318MPG rev 4

b43legacy 2003 (not working) BCM9430MP Rev 4 (also MPSG Rev 4). I have four of these.
Tested working in XP and I think I used ndiswrapper with this card in a DELL Inspiron 2200 that would not accept other cards.

sindi

two more mini-PCMCIA not usable with puppy linux

#850 Post by sindi »

1999 extra-large mini-PCI card from DELL Inspiron 2500 - identifed by Wary 5.5, lucid 5.2.5, sulu2, precise 5.7.1 as 3c59x wired. No antenna connectors. Did not work at all as a wireless card and may actually be an ethernet card.

From DELL Inspiron 1150, another extra large card with no antenna connectors, identified as orinoco_cs, did not work in any of the above with any of the three network wizards though they all identified it.

I recall pcmcia orinoco cards not working in recent puppy linuxes unless you removed a # in some file. 16-bit (non-cardbus).

Do you want pdiag for any of these?

More mini-PCI cards: Five DELL ipw2100 (large) and two Toshiba Atheros ca(small) all from 2003. .

sindi

ipw2100 hard blocked by rfkill

#851 Post by sindi »

DELL wifi card ipw2100 not usable in lucid 5.2.5, sulu2, or precise. rfkill says hard blocked and will not unblock it.

The ipw2200 or b43 was also hard blocked until one of the wizards managed to install it but none of them work here.
I think I had ipw2100 working in puppy 4 but the wifi slot went bad. Common card.

Do you want pdiag for this card?

sindi

ath5k works with Frisbee

#852 Post by sindi »

2003 Atheros ath5K card not working with SNS but works with Frisbee if I do a 'refresh networks'. Do you want a pdiag?

Summary:

2004 ipw2200 works (fussy about network wizards),
2003 ipw2100 is hard blocked says rfkill

2003 ath5K works (on the second try, with Frisbee not SNS)

orinoco_cs recognized but not working

2004 b43 works but not with all network wizards.
2003 b43legacy does not at all except ndiswrapper

Let me know which ones to provide pdiag for with sulu2.

This laptop has pcmcia slot. I have nine not-in-use 16 bit cards orinoco and aironet (34 and 35), and assorted 32-bit cards most with linux drivers: four ath5k (Linksys), ra0, gigafast (ndiswrapper),

Thirteen smaller size cards broadcom bcm94311MCG, intel WM3945ABG.

sindi

mini-PCI ipw2200 b43 and pcmcia orinoco

#853 Post by sindi »

Lupu2016 2.6 kernel in 2005 HP TC4200, one each with b43 and ipw2200 mini-PCI card (internal slot).

The ipw2200 worked with Frisbee (it may have required pushing the wifi switch or using rfkill to unblock it - at one point it was hard blocked).
The blue wifi light stayed off. With Windows 7 it goes on and wifi also works (I think).

The b43 would not work with any network wizard despite not being blocked. The blue wifi light was on. Bad slot or bad card or bad luck?

A PCMCIA orinoco_cs card (from SONY VAIO) worked in the HP (I think with Frisbee after a Restart Networks).
A mini-PCI orinoco card did not work in the ACER laptop - seen but could not raise interface. Dead?

mini-PCI cards in the HP have to be HP labelled, with HP firmware. pcmcia cards do not.

ath5K mini-PCI did not work in the ACER. Should I try the PCMCIA ath5k in something?

I planned to test cards in a 2005 DELL B130 with mini-PCI slot that had hard block of wifi, after setting wifi in BIOS to always on rather than switched
Fn-F2. It has no pcmcia slot. Today it cannot find the optical drive or the hard drive (both IDE I presume).

Let me know whether to test the same cards in a 2002 DELL Inspiron 8200 or 2004 Inspiron 8500 or elsewhere.

My overall conclusion is that MOST mini-PCI cards will not work with lucid puppy (or other puppies) but some work with one or more of three wizards,
and which wizard works depends on the version of lucid and also on the card. Fortunately most laptops with mini-PCI cards also have pcmcia slots.

sindi

DELL Inspiron B130 with b43 mini-PCI card works with sulu1

#854 Post by sindi »

Tahr - card works with all three network wizards
Lupu2016 with 2.6 kernel - card does not work with any wizard
Sulu1 - card works with SNS (did not try other wizards).

First I had to change a BIOS setting to have wifi always on (not via Fn-F2).

Would you like pdiag for the 2.6 kernel?

A b43 card worked in my Acer laptop (I think with lucid 5.2.5).

A different b43 card did NOT work in HP TC4200 with lucid-2.6 kernel.
I may try Sulu1 on it.

Sulu1 on this B130 - echo mem.... suspends but the power button will not reanimate it. At one point I got to a terminal with login that would not respond. I did not test acpitool, or suspend to ram with other puppies.

Module fbcon not found. It works in 2.6-lupu, not in sulu2 (though the module is found).

Sulu2, with 3.2 kernel from Precise 5.7.1, does not automatically shut down. Neither does Precise 5.7.1.

Precise works with framebuffer console and sulu2 does not, despite loading the modules for it.

Should I try Sulu2 on the B130? I am running short of hard disk space.

sindi

sulu1 and duplicate files first reboot

#855 Post by sindi »

I ran sulu1, rebooted saving to a directory (sulusave) and was told there are 93 files (in sulusave) which differ from their official version (in pup_ro2)
(remaster_package_check - Conflicts). I am supposed to click on two buttons in two dialog boxes, to remove each one individually to save space, 93 times.

I do not recall this happening with retro lupu or sulu2, except when I copied the save directly from one to the other (at which time I was able to remove 102 duplicates with
one action and then about 13 with the two clicks).

I think sulu1 needs fixing so the files are not duplicated - or maybe they are supposed to be duplicated but different from the originals.

Unrelated: echo mem > .... on Pentium III (DELL Inspiron 8100) suspended to a WHITE screen. I could not reanimate with keys or power button, or turn it off by holding the
power button down for 20 seconds. Unplugging it eventually got me a black screen but with one green light, and I could not power it back on. Finally I removed the battery
and it all went black and will presumably boot again.

sindi

b43 NOT found in sulu1 this time, works n tahr

#856 Post by sindi »

This time Sulu1 could NOT connect with b43 on DELL B130 laptop, but it still could with Tahr 6.0.5 (SNS).
Perhaps it would do so in Sulu1 if I rebooted directly to it like I think I did before.

Let me know whether to send pdiag files for b43 in sulu1 or retro-kernel lucid.

nic007

#857 Post by nic007 »

Just a general note - The official puppy releases will give the least problems. I stick with Wary, Racy, Precise, Tahr.

Burn_IT

#858 Post by Burn_IT »

Puppy is all about choice.
I like Lucid as well.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

Pelo

SuperSulu PPM choose archives

#859 Post by Pelo »

SuperSulu PPM choose archives to get packages and dependancies downloaded
Wireless antenna wlan 1 working with driver 8192cu by rcrsn for kernel 3.0.25
Attachments
wlan.jpg
Wlan1 antenna for outdoor computing
(73.91 KiB) Downloaded 939 times
image-1.jpg
Image better than Englisgh explanations by french guy
(37.59 KiB) Downloaded 1107 times
Last edited by Pelo on Fri 31 Mar 2017, 03:08, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#860 Post by rcrsn51 »

@sindi: The WiFi trouble-shooting checklist here may be helpful.