Billtoo

Woof CE Debian Stretch and Devuan Ascii Based Development

#381 Post by Billtoo »

@ttuuxxx

This is your first iso with the 4.9.13 xenial kernel, the nvidia driver
compiled and works fine.
The xenial devx and 4.19.13 kernel sources were loaded,nouveau module
blacklisted.

System: Host: puppypc2032 Kernel: 4.9.13 i686 (32 bit) Desktop: JWM 2.3.6 Distro: Dpup Stretch 7.0.0a1
Machine: Device: desktop System: Compaq-Presario product: AU194AA-A2L CQ5123F serial: MXX9300M0F
Mobo: MSI model: Boston v: 1.0 BIOS: Phoenix v: 5.24 date: 06/19/2009
CPU: Dual core Pentium E5200 (-MCP-) speed/max: 1600/2500 MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GF108 [GeForce GT 430]
Display Server: X.org 1.19.1 driver: nvidia tty size: 134x36 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Network: Card: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169
Drives: HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (4.4% used)
Info: Processes: 155 Uptime: 20 min Memory: 165.5/3153.7MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.5

I thought with your kernel source sfs and devx loaded,nouveau module black listed the same would
work with your newest iso.

Sorry.

ttuuxxx

Re: Woof CE Debian Stretch and Devuan Ascii Based Development

#382 Post by ttuuxxx »

Billtoo wrote:
ttuuxxx wrote:
Billtoo wrote: I did a manual frugal install and have the devx and kernel souces loaded, have the nouveau module black listed.

It's not recognizing the devx, gives an error about gcc and exits.
I'm using the same devx right now, I'm compiling live. Maybe send me a link to the sources you want compiled and I'll give it a shot live.
ttuuxxx
It will compile source code, but it won't compile this:

NVIDIA-Linux-x86-375.39.run
Looks like NVIDIA-Linux-x86-375.39.run you need to right click on it and select the permissions it should show a+x (Make executable/searchable) and click yes and then try it
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

Billtoo

#383 Post by Billtoo »

ttuuxxx wrote: Looks like NVIDIA-Linux-x86-375.39.run you need to right click on it and select the permissions it should show a+x (Make executable/searchable) and click yes and then try it
That didn't help, it gives a long error about not finding the development tool 'cc' in your path, also make sure that you have 'gcc' installed and in your path.

All that was needed with the other iso + xenial devx and kernel sources was to exit to the prompt and enter "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-375.39.run"
And it would compile, once finished I run xorgwizard specify the nvidia driver, screen resolution, and 24bit, then exit that and xwin JWM to get to the desktop.

ttuuxxx

#384 Post by ttuuxxx »

Billtoo wrote:
ttuuxxx wrote: Looks like NVIDIA-Linux-x86-375.39.run you need to right click on it and select the permissions it should show a+x (Make executable/searchable) and click yes and then try it
That didn't help, it gives a long error about not finding the development tool 'cc' in your path, also make sure that you have 'gcc' installed and in your path.

All that was needed with the other iso + xenial devx and kernel sources was to exit to the prompt and enter "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-375.39.run"
And it would compile, once finished I run xorgwizard specify the nvidia driver, screen resolution, and 24bit, then exit that and xwin JWM to get to the desktop.
go to /usr/bin/i686-linux-gnu-gcc-6 and right click on it, create a system link called cc
cc is just another missing gcc system link, well it is and isn't 90% of the time it should work
ttuuxxx

Billtoo

#385 Post by Billtoo »

ttuuxxx wrote: go to /usr/bin/i686-linux-gnu-gcc-6 and right click on it, create a system link called cc
cc is just another missing gcc system link, well it is and isn't 90% of the time it should work
ttuuxxx
It works now,,,yahoo!

System: Host: puppypc2608 Kernel: 4.1.38 i686 (32 bit) Desktop: JWM 2.3.6 Distro: Dpup Stretch 7.0.0a1
Machine: Device: desktop System: Compaq-Presario product: AU194AA-A2L CQ5123F serial: MXX9300M0F
Mobo: MSI model: Boston v: 1.0 BIOS: Phoenix v: 5.24 date: 06/19/2009
CPU: Dual core Pentium E5200 (-MCP-) speed/max: 1600/2500 MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GF108 [GeForce GT 430]
Display Server: X.org 1.19.1 driver: nvidia tty size: 155x48 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Network: Card: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169
Drives: HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (4.4% used)
Info: Processes: 102 Uptime: 11 min Memory: 158.0/3153.5MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.5

Thanks.
Attachments
itworks.jpg
(43.67 KiB) Downloaded 245 times

ttuuxxx

#386 Post by ttuuxxx »

Billtoo wrote:
ttuuxxx wrote: go to /usr/bin/i686-linux-gnu-gcc-6 and right click on it, create a system link called cc
ttuuxxx
Thanks.
So it was the missing system link after all,?
If so I'll add it to the DevX for the next release.
ttuuxxx

Billtoo

#387 Post by Billtoo »

ttuuxxx wrote: So it was the missing system link after all,?
If so I'll add it to the DevX for the next release.
ttuuxxx
Yes, making the system link fixed it.

I've been at one computer or the other for about 14 hours with a 30 minute nap along the way so I've had enough fun for one day :)

musher0

#388 Post by musher0 »

ttuuxxx wrote:Abiword now compiles for the first time since we started this Journey. This is Progress guys :). I don't know how many Hours I tried to compile Abiword on this and nothing, Now it compiles out of the box after installing Boost. I compiled static boost earlier on stretch.
Today is a good day on puppy :)
ttuuxxx
Congratulations!

The "Boost" engine, eh? I only know of it, but It makes sense. We're lucky
you thought about it. Good work, ttuuxxx!

As for me, I was busy all day trying to sync vovchik's aemenu-pango with
the GTK2 colors in the themes. Finally, an hour ago, 77.27 % success : 85
out of my collection of 110 themes work with the search sub-routine.
AFAICT only the oldest GTK themes or the ones with no color statements
(only icons) cannot be synced with vovchik's pango system.

I did download the iso you baked yesterday, but I didn't have the time to
test it and now it's already stale! Oh well.

BFN.
Last edited by musher0 on Tue 21 Mar 2017, 02:44, edited 1 time in total.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

jlst

#389 Post by jlst »

It's good to see development happening. This may be the way to go, I name tuxx the official dpup mantainer or whatever. I feel reluctant to continue in the woofce side since I strongly oppose to the default traditional puppy apps, i think it's pure and undiluted hatred. My next changes would be... make pcmanfm the default file manager, make engrampa/file-roller the default archiver. And what could happen next is me trying to get rid of rox for good. Fortunately I don't have time to do this, as my job requires me to spend almost all my time on Windows with rhino3d and other programs to design and reverse engineer stuff...

ttuuxxx

#390 Post by ttuuxxx »

jlst wrote:It's good to see development happening. This may be the way to go, I name tuxx the official dpup mantainer or whatever. I feel reluctant to continue in the woofce side since I strongly oppose to the default traditional puppy apps, i think it's pure and undiluted hatred. My next changes would be... make pcmanfm the default file manager, make engrampa/file-roller the default archiver. And what could happen next is me trying to get rid of rox for good. Fortunately I don't have time to do this, as my job requires me to spend almost all my time on Windows with rhino3d and other programs to design and reverse engineer stuff...
Well Thanks jlst, Looking forward to moving this project along :)
ttuuxxx

ttuuxxx

#391 Post by ttuuxxx »

Next release will have no start-up errors in Xerrs.log
Just finished fixing them and applying them to the next build, Not sure when That will be, I'm pretty busy until the weekend.
ttuuxxx

cthisbear

#392 Post by cthisbear »

" Today is a good day on puppy "

Don't want to come over nice at my age but it should read

" ttuuxxx makes puppy good today."

""""'

First ISO release...booted pretty quick.

The usual Mr T attention to detail was obvious.

Only problem on bank sites etc was printing a PDF file for my payments.
It always failed, very unusual behaviour.
I never install any printer.
So I used your screen capture instead....Thanks.

""""""""

Mr Firefox changed to Palemoon eh....made me smile.

Network came up as >> enp4so wired r8169 RealTek RTL-8169

:::::::::

" make pcmanfm the default file manager "
No thanks... still get my rocks off on Rox.

Cheers....Chris.

belham2

#393 Post by belham2 »

Billtoo or any others,

Have a question (jilst's comment about pcmanfm brought it up):

If you open pcmanfm, and then see a file, and right-click on it to choose an "Open with...", how do you modify/remove the "Open With..." choices you previously made and that are already listed (this assumes you've made a mistake in selecting it before and want to change any and/or all of the 'Open With..." choices currently listed)?

I am sure it is easy, but I can't/couldn't figure it out. In ROX, it's super easy, as it allows you to add, delete, rename, etc, etc to your heart's desire anything to do with "right-click" setting up of "Open With..." choices.

I am sure it must be the same in pcmanfm, but how & where??

Thanks.

P.S. Dam#, ttuuxxx, you're making so many changes so fast that I can't even get one ISO built (and all problems solved) before you've gone on done something new. And you always claim you DON'T HAVE TIME and/or the computer setup! Heaven help us when you do get time....I'm going to give up soon and just download whatever you make & forget this headache of trying to iron-everything out for my own ISO, lol, to upload. :lol:

fredx181

#394 Post by fredx181 »

belham2 wrote:If you open pcmanfm, and then see a file, and right-click on it to choose an "Open with...", how do you modify/remove the "Open With..." choices you previously made and that are already listed (this assumes you've made a mistake in selecting it before and want to change any and/or all of the 'Open With..." choices currently listed)?
Modifying can be done from right-click > properties
Removing, not sure, but I think it can be done only manually in ~/.config/mimeapps.list
For example I had Geany as default for text/plain in ~/.config/mimeapps.list

Code: Select all

[Added Associations]
text/plain=Geany.desktop;leafpad.desktop;

[Default Applications]
text/plain=Geany.desktop
And edited to this (by removing Geany.desktop):

Code: Select all

[Added Associations]
text/plain=leafpad.desktop;

[Default Applications]
text/plain=leafpad.desktop
Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Tue 21 Mar 2017, 10:32, edited 1 time in total.

Billtoo

#395 Post by Billtoo »

belham2 wrote:Billtoo or any others,

Have a question (jilst's comment about pcmanfm brought it up):

If you open pcmanfm, and then see a file, and right-click on it to choose an "Open with...", how do you modify/remove the "Open With..." choices you previously made and that are already listed (this assumes you've made a mistake in selecting it before and want to change any and/or all of the 'Open With..." choices currently listed)?

I am sure it is easy, but I can't/couldn't figure it out. In ROX, it's super easy, as it allows you to add, delete, rename, etc, etc to your heart's desire anything to do with "right-click" setting up of "Open With..." choices.

I am sure it must be the same in pcmanfm, but how & where??
Thanks.
On this screen I think.
Attachments
openwith.jpg
(74.8 KiB) Downloaded 390 times

belham2

#396 Post by belham2 »

Billtoo wrote:
On this screen I think.

Unless I am mistaken, how? You can't. Go ahead and set something via 'right-click' in pcmanfm (like I mentioned in my previous post). Now, try to get it out/delete/modify that right-click option from pcmanfm (like you can easily do in Rox). How is this possible? I've even looked in ./root/pcmanfm directory and in /usr/share/pcmanfm directory, nothing. So tell me how we are easily supposed to remove/modify/etc right-clicks we've already added? It's has to exist in Pcmanfm, right?, but I cannot figure it out :?
Attachments
notice-the-two-existing-right-click-options-on-this-folder-example.jpg
(149.26 KiB) Downloaded 358 times
no-option-that-I-can-see-is-here-to-delete-or-modifying-existing-right-click-options-existing.jpg
(140.12 KiB) Downloaded 357 times

Billtoo

#397 Post by Billtoo »

belham2 wrote: So tell me how we are easily supposed to remove/modify/etc right-clicks we've already added? It's has to exist in Pcmanfm, right?, but I cannot figure it out :?
This works for me as a user, if that's not what you're after maybe jlst will respond.
Attachments
changedfrommtpainttogpicview.jpg
(84.46 KiB) Downloaded 346 times

fredx181

#398 Post by fredx181 »

Belham, you can look inside /root/.local/share/file-manager/actions
On Xenialdog I added some .desktop files there for right-click actions (did it manually, not by Open with...).
But if there's nothing there you probably have to edit ~/.config/mimeapps.list to remove something (changing default app can be done from PCManFm, as billtoo wrote).
Or maybe look in ~/.local/share/applications, could be there also (and if it's there, e.g. dir-to-pet.desktop, deleting it will do I think).

Fred

belham2

#399 Post by belham2 »

Thanks, Billtoo and Fred!!

Argh, do you think I was smart enough to go ahead and use or set up an "Open With..." and see the box pop up? :roll: Greengeek said it best a few weeks ago: somebody make it stop. In my head, lol, puppy is mind-melding me :lol: Fred, thanks, I couldn't find the bugger folder and that's a good trick to know to easily add shortcuts. Wow, I might actually, lol, right-click set up PcManFM now for everything I did in ROX. I've been spoiled for so long since Peebee makes it so easy to use it in LxPupSc and Fred, you make it braindead easy since you do most of it for us in the DDs!! :D

fredx181

#400 Post by fredx181 »

belham2 wrote:Thanks, Billtoo and Fred!!

Argh, do you think I was smart enough to go ahead and use or set up an "Open With..." and see the box pop up? :roll: Greengeek said it best a few weeks ago: somebody make it stop. In my head, lol, puppy is mind-melding me :lol: Fred, thanks, I couldn't find the bugger folder and that's a good trick to know to easily add shortcuts. Wow, I might actually, lol, right-click set up PcManFM now for everything I did in ROX. I've been spoiled for so long since Peebee makes it so easy to use it in LxPupSc and Fred, you make it braindead easy since you do most of it for us in the DDs!! :D
Hi Belham, about the pcmanfm right-click actions (from ~/.local/share/file-manager/actions) I read on the net, but at first couldn't get it to work, later I found that package libfm-modules is required to have it installed to make it work.

And.. are you doing your physical exercises at least one hour a day? :) , I'm a little worried about you!

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Tue 21 Mar 2017, 14:05, edited 1 time in total.