Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 23 Jun 2017, 20:31
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Woof CE Debian Stretch and Devuan Ascii Based Development
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 26 of 37 [555 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, ..., 35, 36, 37 Next
Author Message
ttuuxxx


Joined: 05 May 2007
Posts: 11189
Location: Ontario Canada,Sydney Australia

PostPosted: Mon 20 Mar 2017, 18:27    Post subject: Re: Woof CE Debian Stretch and Devuan Ascii Based Development  

Billtoo wrote:
ttuuxxx wrote:
Pretty cool desktop Smile, Is the reason why your using the Xenial devx and kernel source sfs because the default stretch version doesn't come with kernel sources? If so, I'm currently going to try that kernel I uploaded a week ago and see if I can get it running.
ttuuxxx


Thanks

I tried using the kernel kit to compile a kernel but it's beyond me to get it to work.
If you could compile kernel-4.9.15 for Dpup Stretch that would be cool Smile

The proprietary nvidia driver works well, nouveau is okay but I prefer the nvidia.

My next release is uploaded with kernel headers / sources and devX, Maybe try that one and see if your drivers compile Smilehttp://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=948437#948437
ttuuxxx

_________________
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Billtoo


Joined: 07 Apr 2009
Posts: 3118
Location: Ontario Canada

PostPosted: Mon 20 Mar 2017, 19:03    Post subject: Re: Woof CE Debian Stretch and Devuan Ascii Based Development  

ttuuxxx wrote:

My next release is uploaded with kernel headers / sources and devX, Maybe try that one and see if your drivers compile Smilehttp://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=948437#948437
ttuuxxx


I did a manual frugal install and have the devx and kernel souces loaded, have the nouveau module black listed.

It's not recognizing the devx, gives an error about gcc and exits.
screenshot.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   35.15 KB
 Viewed   244 Time(s)

screenshot.jpg

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
ttuuxxx


Joined: 05 May 2007
Posts: 11189
Location: Ontario Canada,Sydney Australia

PostPosted: Mon 20 Mar 2017, 19:09    Post subject: Re: Woof CE Debian Stretch and Devuan Ascii Based Development  

Billtoo wrote:
ttuuxxx wrote:

My next release is uploaded with kernel headers / sources and devX, Maybe try that one and see if your drivers compile Smilehttp://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=948437#948437
ttuuxxx


I did a manual frugal install and have the devx and kernel souces loaded, have the nouveau module black listed.

It's not recognizing the devx, gives an error about gcc and exits.

I'm using the same devx right now, I'm compiling live. Maybe send me a link to the sources you want compiled and I'll give it a shot live.
ttuuxxx

_________________
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
ttuuxxx


Joined: 05 May 2007
Posts: 11189
Location: Ontario Canada,Sydney Australia

PostPosted: Mon 20 Mar 2017, 19:20    Post subject:  

Abiword now compiles for the first time since we started this Journey. This is Progress guys Smile. I don't know how many Hours I tried to compile Abiword on this and nothing, Now it compiles out of the box after installing Boost. I compiled static boost earlier on stretch.
Today is a good day on puppy Smile
ttuuxxx
abi.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   43.89 KB
 Viewed   229 Time(s)

abi.jpg


_________________
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Billtoo


Joined: 07 Apr 2009
Posts: 3118
Location: Ontario Canada

PostPosted: Mon 20 Mar 2017, 19:21    Post subject: Re: Woof CE Debian Stretch and Devuan Ascii Based Development  

ttuuxxx wrote:
Billtoo wrote:
ttuuxxx wrote:

My next release is uploaded with kernel headers / sources and devX, Maybe try that one and see if your drivers compile Smilehttp://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=948437#948437
ttuuxxx


I did a manual frugal install and have the devx and kernel souces loaded, have the nouveau module black listed.

It's not recognizing the devx, gives an error about gcc and exits.

I'm using the same devx right now, I'm compiling live. Maybe send me a link to the sources you want compiled and I'll give it a shot live.
ttuuxxx


It will compile source code, but it won't compile this:

NVIDIA-Linux-x86-375.39.run
cmus.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   39.68 KB
 Viewed   228 Time(s)

cmus.jpg

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Billtoo


Joined: 07 Apr 2009
Posts: 3118
Location: Ontario Canada

PostPosted: Mon 20 Mar 2017, 19:58    Post subject: Woof CE Debian Stretch and Devuan Ascii Based Development  

@ttuuxxx

This is your first iso with the 4.9.13 xenial kernel, the nvidia driver
compiled and works fine.
The xenial devx and 4.19.13 kernel sources were loaded,nouveau module
blacklisted.

System: Host: puppypc2032 Kernel: 4.9.13 i686 (32 bit) Desktop: JWM 2.3.6 Distro: Dpup Stretch 7.0.0a1
Machine: Device: desktop System: Compaq-Presario product: AU194AA-A2L CQ5123F serial: MXX9300M0F
Mobo: MSI model: Boston v: 1.0 BIOS: Phoenix v: 5.24 date: 06/19/2009
CPU: Dual core Pentium E5200 (-MCP-) speed/max: 1600/2500 MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GF108 [GeForce GT 430]
Display Server: X.org 1.19.1 driver: nvidia tty size: 134x36 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Network: Card: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169
Drives: HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (4.4% used)
Info: Processes: 155 Uptime: 20 min Memory: 165.5/3153.7MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.5

I thought with your kernel source sfs and devx loaded,nouveau module black listed the same would
work with your newest iso.

Sorry.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
ttuuxxx


Joined: 05 May 2007
Posts: 11189
Location: Ontario Canada,Sydney Australia

PostPosted: Mon 20 Mar 2017, 20:04    Post subject: Re: Woof CE Debian Stretch and Devuan Ascii Based Development  

Billtoo wrote:
ttuuxxx wrote:
Billtoo wrote:
ttuuxxx wrote:

My next release is uploaded with kernel headers / sources and devX, Maybe try that one and see if your drivers compile Smilehttp://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=948437#948437
ttuuxxx


I did a manual frugal install and have the devx and kernel souces loaded, have the nouveau module black listed.

It's not recognizing the devx, gives an error about gcc and exits.

I'm using the same devx right now, I'm compiling live. Maybe send me a link to the sources you want compiled and I'll give it a shot live.
ttuuxxx


It will compile source code, but it won't compile this:

NVIDIA-Linux-x86-375.39.run

Looks like NVIDIA-Linux-x86-375.39.run you need to right click on it and select the permissions it should show a+x (Make executable/searchable) and click yes and then try it

_________________
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Billtoo


Joined: 07 Apr 2009
Posts: 3118
Location: Ontario Canada

PostPosted: Mon 20 Mar 2017, 20:28    Post subject: Re: Woof CE Debian Stretch and Devuan Ascii Based Development  

ttuuxxx wrote:

Looks like NVIDIA-Linux-x86-375.39.run you need to right click on it and select the permissions it should show a+x (Make executable/searchable) and click yes and then try it


That didn't help, it gives a long error about not finding the development tool 'cc' in your path, also make sure that you have 'gcc' installed and in your path.

All that was needed with the other iso + xenial devx and kernel sources was to exit to the prompt and enter "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-375.39.run"
And it would compile, once finished I run xorgwizard specify the nvidia driver, screen resolution, and 24bit, then exit that and xwin JWM to get to the desktop.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
ttuuxxx


Joined: 05 May 2007
Posts: 11189
Location: Ontario Canada,Sydney Australia

PostPosted: Mon 20 Mar 2017, 20:56    Post subject: Re: Woof CE Debian Stretch and Devuan Ascii Based Development  

Billtoo wrote:
ttuuxxx wrote:

Looks like NVIDIA-Linux-x86-375.39.run you need to right click on it and select the permissions it should show a+x (Make executable/searchable) and click yes and then try it


That didn't help, it gives a long error about not finding the development tool 'cc' in your path, also make sure that you have 'gcc' installed and in your path.

All that was needed with the other iso + xenial devx and kernel sources was to exit to the prompt and enter "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-375.39.run"
And it would compile, once finished I run xorgwizard specify the nvidia driver, screen resolution, and 24bit, then exit that and xwin JWM to get to the desktop.

go to /usr/bin/i686-linux-gnu-gcc-6 and right click on it, create a system link called cc
cc is just another missing gcc system link, well it is and isn't 90% of the time it should work
ttuuxxx

_________________
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Billtoo


Joined: 07 Apr 2009
Posts: 3118
Location: Ontario Canada

PostPosted: Mon 20 Mar 2017, 21:29    Post subject: Re: Woof CE Debian Stretch and Devuan Ascii Based Development  

ttuuxxx wrote:

go to /usr/bin/i686-linux-gnu-gcc-6 and right click on it, create a system link called cc
cc is just another missing gcc system link, well it is and isn't 90% of the time it should work
ttuuxxx


It works now,,,yahoo!

System: Host: puppypc2608 Kernel: 4.1.38 i686 (32 bit) Desktop: JWM 2.3.6 Distro: Dpup Stretch 7.0.0a1
Machine: Device: desktop System: Compaq-Presario product: AU194AA-A2L CQ5123F serial: MXX9300M0F
Mobo: MSI model: Boston v: 1.0 BIOS: Phoenix v: 5.24 date: 06/19/2009
CPU: Dual core Pentium E5200 (-MCP-) speed/max: 1600/2500 MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GF108 [GeForce GT 430]
Display Server: X.org 1.19.1 driver: nvidia tty size: 155x48 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Network: Card: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169
Drives: HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (4.4% used)
Info: Processes: 102 Uptime: 11 min Memory: 158.0/3153.5MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.5

Thanks.
itworks.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   43.67 KB
 Viewed   185 Time(s)

itworks.jpg

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
ttuuxxx


Joined: 05 May 2007
Posts: 11189
Location: Ontario Canada,Sydney Australia

PostPosted: Mon 20 Mar 2017, 22:02    Post subject: Re: Woof CE Debian Stretch and Devuan Ascii Based Development  

Billtoo wrote:
ttuuxxx wrote:

go to /usr/bin/i686-linux-gnu-gcc-6 and right click on it, create a system link called cc
cc is just another missing gcc system link, well it is and isn't 90% of the time it should work
ttuuxxx


Thanks.

So it was the missing system link after all,?
If so I'll add it to the DevX for the next release.
ttuuxxx

_________________
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Billtoo


Joined: 07 Apr 2009
Posts: 3118
Location: Ontario Canada

PostPosted: Mon 20 Mar 2017, 22:10    Post subject: Re: Woof CE Debian Stretch and Devuan Ascii Based Development  

ttuuxxx wrote:

So it was the missing system link after all,?
If so I'll add it to the DevX for the next release.
ttuuxxx


Yes, making the system link fixed it.

I've been at one computer or the other for about 14 hours with a 30 minute nap along the way so I've had enough fun for one day Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
musher0


Joined: 04 Jan 2009
Posts: 10309
Location: Gatineau (Qc), Canada

PostPosted: Mon 20 Mar 2017, 22:19    Post subject:  

ttuuxxx wrote:
Abiword now compiles for the first time since we started this Journey. This is Progress guys Smile. I don't know how many Hours I tried to compile Abiword on this and nothing, Now it compiles out of the box after installing Boost. I compiled static boost earlier on stretch.
Today is a good day on puppy Smile
ttuuxxx

Congratulations!

The "Boost" engine, eh? I only know of it, but It makes sense. We're lucky
you thought about it. Good work, ttuuxxx!

As for me, I was busy all day trying to sync vovchik's aemenu-pango with
the GTK2 colors in the themes. Finally, an hour ago, 77.27 % success : 85
out of my collection of 110 themes work with the search sub-routine.
AFAICT only the oldest GTK themes or the ones with no color statements
(only icons) cannot be synced with vovchik's pango system.

I did download the iso you baked yesterday, but I didn't have the time to
test it and now it's already stale! Oh well.

BFN.

_________________
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
« Un insensé sur le trône n'est qu'un singe sur le haut d'un toit. » / "A madman
on the throne is just a monkey on top of a roof." (Bernard de Clervaux)

Last edited by musher0 on Mon 20 Mar 2017, 22:44; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
jlst

Joined: 23 Nov 2012
Posts: 571

PostPosted: Mon 20 Mar 2017, 22:29    Post subject:  

It's good to see development happening. This may be the way to go, I name tuxx the official dpup mantainer or whatever. I feel reluctant to continue in the woofce side since I strongly oppose to the default traditional puppy apps, i think it's pure and undiluted hatred. My next changes would be... make pcmanfm the default file manager, make engrampa/file-roller the default archiver. And what could happen next is me trying to get rid of rox for good. Fortunately I don't have time to do this, as my job requires me to spend almost all my time on Windows with rhino3d and other programs to design and reverse engineer stuff...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
ttuuxxx


Joined: 05 May 2007
Posts: 11189
Location: Ontario Canada,Sydney Australia

PostPosted: Mon 20 Mar 2017, 23:38    Post subject:  

jlst wrote:
It's good to see development happening. This may be the way to go, I name tuxx the official dpup mantainer or whatever. I feel reluctant to continue in the woofce side since I strongly oppose to the default traditional puppy apps, i think it's pure and undiluted hatred. My next changes would be... make pcmanfm the default file manager, make engrampa/file-roller the default archiver. And what could happen next is me trying to get rid of rox for good. Fortunately I don't have time to do this, as my job requires me to spend almost all my time on Windows with rhino3d and other programs to design and reverse engineer stuff...

Well Thanks jlst, Looking forward to moving this project along Smile
ttuuxxx

_________________
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 26 of 37 [555 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, ..., 35, 36, 37 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0916s ][ Queries: 15 (0.0170s) ][ GZIP on ]