palemoon browser

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
jss83

#361 Post by jss83 »

@Semme, yes sir it's 32 bit computer.
@bigpup, the same key works everywhere else, ctrl+a works on geany, abiword, etc. Also, if the ctrl key wasn't working, then it would just type aaaa not send the cursor back to the beginning of the line.
But I tried what you suggested with the right ctrl key, it still does the same thing.

I think I'll just let it go, since it is not such a big deal, until it starts bothering me and then I'll just re-install puppy again.

Thank you guys for trying to help. :)

Semme

#362 Post by Semme »

"Localization" equals language. Which one are you using?

jss83

#363 Post by jss83 »

You mean main language? en_US English, USA
Attachments
scr2.png
en_US English, USA
(74.04 KiB) Downloaded 677 times

Semme

#364 Post by Semme »

Then I wonder if it has to do with that theme Ttuuxxx made for you?

In other words, swap over to a standard theme and retry the shortcut.

jss83

It's done!

#365 Post by jss83 »

He just made a sweet icon theme but I reverted the whole theme to default and magically it started working. But it couldn't have been the icon theme, so I changed the icon theme back again to tuxx's and tested it, it still worked.

So I changed the JWM theme to Win 95 it still worked.. But then.. I changed the GTK theme to Emacs and I found the culprit lol.

Don't know what it does but after changing to Emacs GTK theme, the ctrl+a key sends the cursor to back of line in palemoon, though it works fine everywhere else. :D So now I am using flat-grey-rounded* instead, it has almost the same look and the ctrl+a key works. In fact Raleigh is even nicer.

Thank you so much Semme, you just don't give up. :)

XP Refugee

Re: palemoon, adios

#366 Post by XP Refugee »

Sailor Enceladus wrote:
XP Refugee wrote:I've had to switch to Firefox as Palemoon just will not open Messenger on Facebook anymore. Seems they've made changes to it that did this. I have to use FB messenger to chat with a girlfriend. If it were up to me I'd have stuck with yahoo, but their messenger turned into a stinking mess years ago.
I have 2 old Netbooks (well, one is barely used actually) and have settled on 15.6. Was traveling out of country when this started, luckily at the end of the trip.
I noticed that too, and sometimes when you click on an image the browser goes into an endless loop repeating the same 3 things over and over. Both issues are also in the original Firefox 24, I guess Facebook doesn't test their site on older versions of browsers. I would report it in the Pale Moon forum (unless someone else has) and give them time to sort this problem out as it's Facebook's fault. You can also use m.facebook.com or iphone.facebook.com in your browser to talk to your girlfriend. :)
this worked until yesterday. Now it displays with the chat in a two inch band in the center with about 4 inches on either side being the names list and options, etc. I am 100% convinced FB and other big shots do not CARE about people who don't have the money to stay up to date with their computers. As seems to be the case with MOST of U$A business. Thank god for WalMart huh.

XP Refugee

#367 Post by XP Refugee »

Sailor Enceladus wrote:@XP Refugee: 27.0.3 was released December 16th. I guess the fix will be in whatever version they upload next (27.1 ?).

I've tried installing that twice and each time there was NO ADDRESS BOX. Now how in the hell can you use a browser with no line box to type an URL into? I'm afraid PaleMoon is dead to me for sure.
Luckily Opera (who I gave up on eons ago on Windows puters) has a nice FAST new offering and FB offers a "stand alone" "program" that only opens Messenger in a nice, usable look. Only for 7 and above tho, so my XP lappie is still being problematic save for the Opera on that also.

OscarTalks

#368 Post by OscarTalks »

XP Refugee wrote:I've tried installing that twice and each time there was NO ADDRESS BOX. Now how in the hell can you use a browser with no line box to type an URL into? I'm afraid PaleMoon is dead to me for sure.
You have probably just ended up with your address bar removed from your toolbar somehow and this is stored in your profile. Right-click the toolbar and select "Customize". You will probably find it is there in the window of available tools and buttons. Just drag it back out onto your toolbar.
Oscar in England

XP Refugee

#369 Post by XP Refugee »

Might be, but this last time I looked there and did not see it, tho it may be there in text only, no actual box. Time may come I'll have to. They keep messing with the web and forcing obsolescence I'll just learn to live without FB and YouTube (no sound in FF Light).

bark_bark_bark

#370 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Did you try with a fresh profile? the address bar shows up fine here.

XP Refugee

#371 Post by XP Refugee »

hmmm, I'll tinker with that on one of my other pups. Could be some incompatibility goin on, yeah. Good tip.

Walter Dnes

#372 Post by Walter Dnes »

Pale Moon version 27.1.2, a minor update is available for downloading. It should prevent hangs on media-heavy sites. See https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15007 The download URL is ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE- ... 86.tar.bz2

Since this is not a mainstream build, it has to be installed manually. See the first post in thread https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=13530 for install instructions.

Pelo

people have problems to update Palemoon with Tharpup

#373 Post by Pelo »

people have problems to update palemoon with Tharpup in France, ici, but not only.
Any idea Why ?

666philb

Re: people have problems to update Palemoon with Tharpup

#374 Post by 666philb »

Pelo wrote:people have problems to update palemoon with Tharpup in France, ici, but not only.
Any idea Why ?
the palemoon updater script was updated to 0.2.2 and the older script no longer works
the script is updated to the latest in tahrpup (presuming you've installed quickpet updates)

script here https://linux.palemoon.org/download/installer/
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

Walter Dnes

Pale Moon v27.2.0 SSE build available

#375 Post by Walter Dnes »

Pale Moon version 27.2.0 SSE build is available for downloading. This is a major update to the browser with a focus on back-end improvements and security. See Pale Moon forum post https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15169 for details. The download URL is ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE- ... 86.tar.bz2

Since this is not a mainstream build, it has to be installed manually. See the first post in thread https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=13530 for install instructions.
Last edited by Walter Dnes on Sun 19 Mar 2017, 11:13, edited 1 time in total.

watchdog

#376 Post by watchdog »

Pale Moon will not run at all without (reasonably updated versions of) the following dependencies:

GTK+ v2.24
GLibc v2.17
Pango
X.Org
libstdc++ 4.3

The following glibc-tweaked package is tested working in puppy 4.31 with gtk+-2.18.3:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... 8.3-p4.pet

and glib-2.22.2:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... 2.2-p4.pet

It can work in other old puppies (even without the suggested updates for only puppy4) which don't match the official requirements. It uses a patched glibc from tahr. It is not an official build and use at your own risk with the usual cares about backup. Do not install this package in recent puppies: use in recent puppies the official tar.bz2 packages from:

http://linux.palemoon.org/files/AutoIndex/index.php

palemoon-27.2.0-p4-glibc219tweak.pet:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9iMb4 ... sp=sharing

EDIT: palemoon-27.2.1-p4-glibc219tweak.pet:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9iMb4 ... sp=sharing
Last edited by watchdog on Sat 01 Apr 2017, 14:36, edited 1 time in total.

sindi

pale moon 27.2 SSE (for Puppy linux)

#377 Post by sindi »

Pale Moon version 27.2.0 SSE build is available for downloading. This is a major update to the browser with a focus on back-end improvements and security. See Pale Moon forum post [url]https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15169[/url] for details. The download URL is [url]ftp://contrib:get@ftp.palemoon.org/SSE- ... 86.tar.bz2[/url]

Works fine on both my Pentium III SSE DELL Inspiron 1.0GHz from 2001, and my new Acer netbook with SSE2 from 2008.

On the ACER, HTML5 in 27.2 SSE uses 10% less CPU than the HTML5 in 27.03 SSE2 to play a 360p youtube video, because of a switch from gstreamer to ffmpeg in linux version. Top says they are both using over 150% of CPU (browser plus X) but the video plays normally.

On the DELL, HTML5 in 27.2 used close to 100% CPU (browser plus X) and youtube was extremely jerky. Flash video was the same. 27.0 (gstreamer) would have been worse. smtube with mplayer works well.

I did not check if the official (SSE2) 27.2 works in Puppy. Walter said versions post 27 would be compiled to require later libraries than we have. Walter, will you eventually provide also SSE2 versions for Puppy?
The 27.1 SSE version played youtube okay on a 2005 ACER laptop where smtube is unusable because mplayer cannot handle VESA video on in and Xorg could not be made to work in Lucid Puppy (yet).

I think 27.1 SSE played youtube acceptably on a 2002 DELL (P4 with SSE2). . .

Walter Dnes

Re: pale moon 27.2 SSE (for Puppy linux)

#378 Post by Walter Dnes »

sindi wrote:I did not check if the official (SSE2) 27.2 works in Puppy. Walter said versions post 27 would be compiled to require later libraries than we have. Walter, will you eventually provide also SSE2 versions for Puppy?.
I've asked the linux lead about this. In a worst case, I might do an unofficial version.
sindi wrote:The 27.1 SSE version played youtube okay on a 2005 ACER laptop where smtube is unusable because mplayer cannot handle VESA video on in and Xorg could not be made to work in Lucid Puppy (yet).

I think 27.1 SSE played youtube acceptably on a 2002 DELL (P4 with SSE2). . .
Plese run the following command from a commandline (roxterm or whatever) on both the Dell and the Acer and post the output here. It'll give info about the display controller, and maybe we can go further from there.

Code: Select all

lspci -v | grep -i "vga\|display"

watchdog

Re: pale moon 27.2 SSE (for Puppy linux)

#379 Post by watchdog »

Walter Dnes wrote:
sindi wrote:I did not check if the official (SSE2) 27.2 works in Puppy. Walter said versions post 27 would be compiled to require later libraries than we have. Walter, will you eventually provide also SSE2 versions for Puppy?.
I've asked the linux lead about this. In a worst case, I might do an unofficial version.
In my opinion nothing is changed. The SSE2 official palemoon continue to work in precise. Previous puppies can use my glibc-tweaked package.

sindi

Palemoon 27.2 SSE/SSE2 versions work in Lucid Puppy

#380 Post by sindi »

Thanks to both watchdog and walter for providing Puppy with the latest Pale Moon. Despite what
Walter being told newer linux versions would be compiled to require newer libraries, official
27.2 also works with Lucid Puppy 2016! (NOT with my P3 DELL or Thinkpad however). The SSE bz2
is 4MB smaller, but the SSE2 official version downloads faster (from an official site).

Both versions play youtube with about 165% CPU usage plus 15% CPU for X, but it looks good.

The DELL Inspiron 8200 (2002) has a discrete video card (Nvidia 32MB or possibly ATI 64MB if
upgraded for gaming) and cost over $3000 new (with DELL's first Mobile Pentium 4-M). 4 kg.
We upgraded the CPU from 1.5 to 2.4GHz. Blowfish test says it is 1/3 slower than 2001 DELL
8100, but it acts faster. I will compare SSE and SSE2 versions on it. Is there some better
test than CPU usage? 1600x1200 pixels. It was even sold with a wifi card slot ($150 extra
for the card) and a 40 or 60GB HD.

The ACER Travelmate (2005) was discussed in the Lucid forum. Xorg does not work with it, and
Mplayer (with or without smtube) does not work with VESA video on it (blue screen). HTML5 I
think is jerky with VESA video. Flash works. apcitool suspend does not. Xorg I think works
with Tahr (or Precise?) and may get fixed by rerwin in Lucid after Network Wizard and Sound
Wizard and some video problems that affect multiple computer models.

DELL is not set up to test.

Acer has not the i915 that Xorg assigned the driver for, but Intel 82852/855GM integrated
graphics.

Both computers were sold with 1.5GHz CPU and 40GB hard disk (or 60GB in some 8200s).
ACER is three years newer, twice the blowfish speed, half the weight, about 1/10 the price.
1024x768 pixels but the same 15" screen as the DELL.