Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 23 Mar 2017, 07:00
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Wireless
problem with Texas Instruments pci wireless card
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
drrdf

PostPosted: Wed 15 Mar 2017, 19:26    Post subject:  problem with Texas Instruments pci wireless card
Subject description: wireless card

I wonder whether anyone can help me with a most peculiar problem please? When running Puppy Lucid 528 from CD I am able to get my Texas Instruments based wireless card (TNET1130) to work perfectly with it using the driver provided, acx_pci (cardbus/pci/usb), and encrypted with WPA security. However as soon as I install Puppy Lucid 528 onto my hard drive, attempting to use the same driver causes the network connection utilities to hang in perpetuity; if the system is rebooted the installation then corrupts itself and will not then run. This seems very strange, since why should this driver work perfectly if Puppy is run from CD but not if installed on the hard drive?

If I attempt to use the windows XP driver with ndiswrapper then the same hanging occurs.
Semme

PostPosted: Wed 15 Mar 2017, 21:28    Post subject:  

Hey Doc, two tips towards what I think may be happening..

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=745916#745916

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=769320#769320

Maybe you'll find the correlation.

drrdf

PostPosted: Fri 17 Mar 2017, 06:21    Post subject:
Subject description: Problem with Texas Instruments pci wireless card

Hi Semme; thank you for your reply. What you seem to be suggesting, if I understand it correctly, is that the driver is present on the CD, which is why it works, but then does not get carried over onto the file set at installation onto the hard drive? That it seems has been a problem noticed before in other instances with Puppy?

I am looking at this to see what I can do. I will report back when I find out anything further. Thanks for your help.

Ronald
Semme

PostPosted: Fri 17 Mar 2017, 06:51    Post subject:  

No. I was getting @ the driver being able to find it's firmware, due to what I'm unsure.

There is however a good chance I can help you get around this limitation.

How have you got your drive set up? Are you trying to dual-boot?

drrdf

PostPosted: Sun 19 Mar 2017, 17:04    Post subject:  

Hi Semme, thank you for your reply. The weird thing is that the driver finds the firmware when running Puppy from the CD, in RAM, but if that is the problem not when Puppy is installed on the hard drive. I do not have a dual boot set-up. I am just running Puppy Lucid as the only OS.

The hard drive is a SATA one (500Gb); it is set up as recommended, formatted as ext4, with a swap file of 2Mb. I am using the GRUB4DOS boot utility, copied into the MBR. This all works as it should, and the only problem is setting up the wireless card to work with the hard drive installation.
Semme

PostPosted: Sun 19 Mar 2017, 18:24    Post subject:  

Try this.

Boot the CD, reach the desktop and let Pup work though its initial first run settings.

Now go for a shutdown and let Pup create a save file on your installed system.

Whatever size you choose is fine because this is a test to see if wifi works in this environment.

Assuming the live session provided wifi, reboot with your disk loaded and choose this save if prompted.

After reaching the desktop, is wifi still configured to reach the net?

If she works with a save, I'd say leave the rest as is, run frugal and let the rest play storage.

It takes little time to test and we'd know pretty quick.

Keep us posted..

drrdf

PostPosted: Yesterday, at 12:27    Post subject:  

Hi Semme; I have carried out what you suggested now. I had a problem to start with as the particular PC suddenly developed a fault, and would not boot up after the start of the BIOS sequence. I was scratching my head with that one and eventually discovered that it was due to a usb mouse with some sort of intermittent fault which stopped the BIOS running through its sequence; never met that one before since the usb does not normally get setup until the BIOS has finished its process.

When I first tried your suggested process it did not work. I then suspected that due to all the previous corrupted attempts there might be some corrupted or stray files; I therefore did a clear out of all files and directories (folders) on the HD and then tried the suggested process again with a frugal install. Hey Presto that worked, and I could setup the wireless card again with the simple network utility having booted from the HD. However when I rebooted again I found that the system had lost the network setup although the appropriate box on the SNS was ticked to supposedly keep the setup details. On each reboot it is necessary to again now setup the networking.

So although this has resulted in partial success, it is not retaining the network setup and WPA password, and in any case I did not want the frugal installation and had previously done a full installation. BTW I have a similar situation on another older PC running Puppy with a Texas Instruments wireless card, so I will try this same process on that. I have another PC running Puppy 528 with a Marvel wireless card using the XP driver with ndiswrapper, and that worked all OK first time with none of these problems. That has a full installation to the HD.

So the question remains: how do I do a full installation with the Texas card and how can I get the system to retain the network setup parameters so that it connects automatically at boot up? Thanks for your help.
Semme

PostPosted: Yesterday, at 20:25    Post subject:  

Doc, reliable connects have been a Pup issue for years. @ this point, PeasyWiFi may be the difference.
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Wireless
Jump to: