Puppy Linux Newsletter

Promote Puppy !
kb8amz

Read smokey01's 3 newsletters

#41 Post by kb8amz »

I've been having problems with one of PC's (its running Linux Mint 18) and old (really old) Dell Optiplex from a 2001 build. It had been running so slow that it reminded me of days with the 2 MHz 8 bit machine with the single sided floppy drive. Anyway I replaced that with a duo core Dell Laptop N5050 and Linux Mint 18 64 bit. I used to do telephone PC support for the No Child Left Behind Program. One day my supervisor lead me to a cart with many PC's in disarray and said take as many as you like. I took 2, a GX150 and GX520. The 520 seemed newer but I never checked the internals or ran a list of the hardware; I just assumed it was a 32 bit PC like the GX150. I had been running Ubuntu 16.04 on the 520 with no problem but since I was junking out the 150 replacing it with the laptop I wanted the remainder of my PC's desktop, laptops, and netbook's to run some version of Puppy. I discovered that the 520 is a 64 bit and I've been running it as a 32 bit. I thought I had accidentally inserted a tahr64-5.0.3.iso in the ROM drive and it booted much to my surprise. Been running on this PC for about the past week now and really enjoy it. When I opened the browser it opened to a page where I was notified about the newsletter. The what I said to self. I clicked on the link and found smokey01 had written a newsletter. Super swell. I had a 6.0.5 nonPAE iso on hand and thought I'd give it a try. The PC's drive didn't recognize this disc. I've downloaded a more recent version and will try it out, but I found 2 more newsletters by smokey01 and read them both. I learned that smokey01 is a, retired, firefighter or a 'hoser' as we call them here in the USA. I'm a retired police officer. Don't know what the firefighters call us but I've noticed as I've read many of the posts on here that many of the really smart people that have helped Barry K develop these versions of Puppy and applications are my age. Swell. I have enjoyed the newsletters smokey01 and wanted to give you my two cents worth of compliments.

Whoa, 0200 EDT, -5 GMT. Need to get off the PC and get to bed. Later, everyone.

Burn_IT

#42 Post by Burn_IT »

You need to format your text a bit.

It is extremely difficult to read as it is.

But welcome to the doghouse anyway.

64 bit capable machines will run 32 bit software quite happily - indeed there is very little ALL 64 bit software around as much of it uses library routines that are still 32bit.
Veryy few people are going to support two parallel versions of software whilst the single one still works. Don't forget that an awful ot of Linux is written and supported by private individuals who are doing it for the love of it in their spare time.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

smokey01

#43 Post by smokey01 »

The deadline for April is tomorrow'ish.

In the past the newsletter .html file was a single file with base64 graphics embedded. Apparently this was as issue for apple devices so I have separated the graphics. For most readers this should not be noticable.

Cheers

redandwhitestripes

#44 Post by redandwhitestripes »

Just wanted to say thank you for the latest newsletter. Good read!

drunkjedi

#45 Post by drunkjedi »

Was making a 'how to make sfs using PPM' for submitting to Newsletter.

I thought pictorial guide would be nice. Then thought about combining pics to make gif.
After making gif, I inserted it in a node, notecase isn't showing it as a gif but as normal pic.
Can anyone suggest something.

I am worried about size too.
I reduced scaled down the gif to 300x200 so it's around 1mb.

I thought uploading it to imgur site and linking it on the howto.
It would work for html version, does it work for notecase too?

I am at work now, will experiment tomorrow.
Anyway learned to make gif from command line.

Thanks in advance for any help.

bigpup

#46 Post by bigpup »

I suggest you make the main, full topic, in the "How to" section of the forum.
Make an article in the newsletter, about it.
Give a link to the "How to topic".

In the newsletter give information about it.
What it is.
What it can do.
Why you would want to use it.
Why it is better.
Give example of using it.
A review.
Etc....

This is a newsletter not a forum.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#47 Post by bigpup »

I was thinking of doing a section about the lost Puppy programs.

Something like lost treasurers.
Forgotten Puppy programs.
etc...

Go see what I could find, that was specific programs written for Puppy, but have not usually been in a Puppy version.
I know some really good stuff was written just for Puppy and the Puppy way of operating.
We are Puppy. 8)
Resistance is futile. :shock:
You will be assimilated. :D

What do you think?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

smokey01

#48 Post by smokey01 »

bigpup wrote:I was thinking of doing a section about the lost Puppy programs.

etc...

Go see what I could find, that was specific programs written for Puppy, but have not usually been in a Puppy version.
I know some really good stuff was written just for Puppy and the Puppy way of operating.
We are Puppy. 8)
Resistance is futile. :shock:
You will be assimilated. :D

What do you think?
@bigpup: lost treasures sounds like a good idea.

drunkjedi

#49 Post by drunkjedi »

bigpup wrote:I suggest you make the main, full topic, in the "How to" section of the forum.
Make an article in the newsletter, about it.Give a link to the "How to topic".
Yes I was gonna make a howto thread on forum anyway. Thanks.
bigpup wrote:I was thinking of doing a section about the lost Puppy programs.

etc...
That is a wonderful Idea.

May I suggest sending a PM to our beloved Pelo.
That man's archeological skills are legendary.
I wonder how he finds those old stuff.
He may even have a list.

Pelo

many things don't work , perhaps more now than before

#50 Post by Pelo »

"Notecase is very easy to learn and use."
I will help if i had something to inform that can be helpfull about 'old' stuff perhaps, but i am not so much an user of old apps. My purpose when i came to Puppy was to change from Windows, which was the OS provided by the airline boss, to all employees.
Second purpose : keep my english alive.
Third purpose : run an OS fast and with apps free of charge to allow me practicing my hobbies.
Programs and makings Puppies are not included in my goals. Only to help myself as i would do with my car, for light breakdowns.
My rule was using yet existing apps of Puppy, and learn how to do with them. That is the reason why i browse the forum to test apps and check which one please me and still work. Because many things don't work , perhaps more now than before.
That is a more featured answer to a PM Received.
Notecase : i tried it, very fast.. Need some practice.

Pelo

I have just take a glance at the newletter

#51 Post by Pelo »

I have just take a glance at the newletter... Hum hum hum.. The problem is that people start a lot of projects.. abandoned soon... What about the Wiki, ..
Smokey01 is LTS, of course, there is no doubt about him :!: I will think about it again, it's not negative, but not a full agreement as i told in my PM (to Bigpup)

smokey01

#52 Post by smokey01 »

Someone dropped me a couple of.ttf fonts. What would you like me to do with them?

smokey01

#53 Post by smokey01 »

Whenever I publish a newsletter I usually receive a few emails. Some to say thanks, others to identify errors or suggestions. This time I have received none so I am assuming this is a good thing.

Although I have a couple of people doing the proof reading it's still possible for a couple of errors to sneak through. This is usually because I miss the correction. To make this process a bit easier I have registered a copy of Notecase Pro which has spell checking built in.
There are some differences in the file format between Notecase 1.9.8 and the Pro version but I can work around that.

Previously I have tried writing articles in Abiword/LibreOffice and copying them into Notecase. The problem: I have to re-create links and images which is a pain. I also tried CherryTree which includes Spell Checking, but, it will not export a Notecase file although it will import one.

Spell checking in one application while making the corrections in another is simply painful.

Next month I will use Notecase Pro 4.2.6 so let's see how that works. Hopefully it will be more successful. Readers should be able to use Notecase 1.9.8 to read the article.

If anyone has a better suggestion I would be happy to hear it.

Thanks

mcewanw

#54 Post by mcewanw »

My only feeling about it is that the old notecase provided in Puppies is not being developed any more so may stop working in terms of needing old libs and so on. I think I read somewhere of some people having an issue like that already, but maybe they found a fix?

William
github mcewanw

musher0

#55 Post by musher0 »

mcewanw wrote:My only feeling about it is that the old notecase provided in Puppies is not being developed any more so may stop working in terms of needing old libs and so on. I think I read somewhere of some people having an issue like that already, but maybe they found a fix?

William
Hi William.

Yeah, that was in the DPupStretch-7 thread perhaps 3 weeks ago.

I think jamesbond and ttuuxxx collaborated on sort of a remake of
notecase. They had to alter the original code to get it on the rails again
with DpupStretch's glibc 2.24. Maybe I remember some details wrong,
but it was something like that.

How about using a simple html template for the PupLin-Newsletter? Html is
as universal a format as you can get these days. Abiword can save in it,
also aOO, LO, Seamonkey, etc.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Pelo

users as me never used it before.

#56 Post by Pelo »

:evil: notecase, a newer version will not do better if users as me never used it before. We must learn how to use it first, it's not a question of version.

peebee

Psip (PuppyPhone)

#57 Post by peebee »

Re: the article on Psip (PuppyPhone) in the April17 edition....

I think the reason that up-to-date versions of Psip (PuppyPhone) are not appearing in recent woof-ce puppy builds is that they are not available in the repository, e.g. see:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... lacko14.2/
and there is no entry in:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/Pa ... 2-official

so the one that is used is the very old one in Packages-puppy-common-official
puppyphone-1.2-psip32-1-w5.pet

and also there is not a petbuild for Psip (PuppyPhone) - again e.g. see:
https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/p ... slacko_142

And there doesn't seem to be an active forum thread for Psip (PuppyPhone) (or have I missed it??)

If up-to-date 32-bit and 64-bit versions can be made available then they can be uploaded and will appear in builds....
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

smokey01

#58 Post by smokey01 »

I thought slacko had the latest both 32 and 64bit. I also thought 01micko had a fair bit to do with woof-ce so it's odd it hasn't been included.

Now that the info is in the April newsletter anyone can build it.

6502coder

Latest newsletter index and sorter app

#59 Post by 6502coder »

Here is where you will find the latest PNI.txt file (Puppy Newsletter Index) , which I am updating every month. The updated index file will usually appear within a few days after the latest Newsletter.

Here is also where you can find the latest version (currently 1.3) of the PNI sorter application. It adds a "Puppy Newsletter Index Sorter" entry to the Document submenu. The sorter app expects to find the PNI.txt file in either ~/Downloads or ~/my-documents

It's been tested in both Puppy 4.1.2 and TahrPup 6.0.6.

sortpni-1.3-no-arch.pet
MD5 d57bb883790a82287c5a87be4ea929da
SHA256 4e2e6a56fa02599259dd330eb7153a87de0a62e8f289fb54f26e18460fa178ac
Attachments
PNI.txt.zip
Puppy Newsletter Index file updated through the May 2019 issue. Rename to remove the fake ".zip" extension.
(45 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
sortpni-1.3-no-arch.pet
Puppy Newsletter Index sorter
(2.01 KiB) Downloaded 471 times
Last edited by 6502coder on Sun 12 May 2019, 01:30, edited 26 times in total.

greengeek

Re: Latest newsletter index and sorter app

#60 Post by greengeek »

6502coder wrote:here's a PET for version 1.3 of the PNI sorter application. It adds a "Puppy Newsletter Index Sorter" entry to the Document submenu. The sorter app expects to find the PNI.txt file in either ~/Downloads or ~/my-documents. It's been tested in both Puppy 4.1.2 and TahrPup 6.0.6.
Awesome.Works well. Tested as working on Slacko 5.6 too.
Here's the latest PNI.txt file (Puppy Newsletter Index) updated through the April 2017 newsletter.
Uh oh - doesn't list the April crossword. Shock Horror! :shock: