X-Slacko Slim 4.4r49 (unique, stable, and flexible)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Sage

#501 Post by Sage »

Usual procedure: boot CD, select no save file ...run... shutdown, do you want to save file/w.h.y. - SAVE - NO.
Not your fault, this nonsense is and has been in most live CDs for years, possibly decades.
It's a bit like the full quicksetup which defaults to LA/Oz/USA simply because only a couple of developers have been sharp enough to make everything self-consistent.
Frankly, IMO everything should default to PERTH (or Queensland?!) which is where its origin lies - just due deference and good manners. In the scientific world attribution is everything, plagiarism has no place (not accusing that here, though).

mistfire

#502 Post by mistfire »

@Sage I tested that on virtualbox. It does not show that message. That was strange.

Sage

#503 Post by Sage »

tested that on virtualbox
Not even remotely the same beast! You need a regular desktop PC, bog std. CD drive, etc.

Pelo

That is a gentleman choice. default settings Australia

#504 Post by Pelo »

"Frankly, IMO everything should default to PERTH (or Queensland?!) " i fully agree on that. That is a gentleman choice, Sage !

mistfire

#505 Post by mistfire »

@Sage I tested X-Slacko Slim on IBM Thinkcentre (BIOS) and HP Pavillion Desktop (UEFI) on pristine boot the shutdown was working properly.

Sage

#506 Post by Sage »

shutdown was working properly
Oh yes, it works properly but it still ask if save wanted when told no save at boot menu!

Marv

#507 Post by Marv »

r41 updated to r42 on the core 2 duo laptop (4.10.2 inbuilt kernel) and on the Pentium M laptop (4.4.52 LxPupSc kernel swapped in). Both are Grub4Dos frugal installs to SSD and CF card respectively and are booting, running. connecting, suspending and saving to savefile correctly. glxgears is right in line with that expected on both laptops.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

mistfire

#508 Post by mistfire »

Sage wrote:Oh yes, it works properly but it still ask if save wanted when told no save at boot menu!
@Sage I mean it does not show another save prompt after I select NO SAVE in save session dialog upon shutdown. Did you boot in pristine mode?

Sage

#509 Post by Sage »

another save
I refer to liveCD running, nothing installed anywhere, utterly pristine.

mistfire

#510 Post by mistfire »

New X-Slacko Slim iteration released

Changes:
* Improved initrd. More user-friendly pupsave management and upgrade.
* Some bugfix on xwin and xorgwizard

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2FRk ... 0hvSl94VGM
MD5 Checksum: 8feeda12540c524d350bef078d93834c

augras

#511 Post by augras »

Hi mistfire,
i just install your puppy, thanks for your work, and note that you use thunar with these networks capabilities.
I'm trying for a long time to get thunar with network capabilities to work but never win !
Can you explain me all i need to get it works ?
Thanks,
Philippe

Marv

#512 Post by Marv »

r42 install updated to r43 on the frugal Grub4Dos install to SSD on my core 2 duo laptop. Continuing to use the stock 4.10.2 kernel on the core 2 duo. No issues at all noted. I haven't gotten to the Pentium M yet. Could you expand a bit on the changes to initrd? Might make it easier to test.

Thanks,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

mistfire

#513 Post by mistfire »

augras wrote:Hi mistfire,
i just install your puppy, thanks for your work, and note that you use thunar with these networks capabilities.
I'm trying for a long time to get thunar with network capabilities to work but never win !
Can you explain me all i need to get it works ?
Thanks,
Philippe
well @rg66 (the original creator of x-slacko) can answer your questions about thunar.

mistfire

#514 Post by mistfire »

Marv wrote:r42 install updated to r43 on the frugal Grub4Dos install to SSD on my core 2 duo laptop. Continuing to use the stock 4.10.2 kernel on the core 2 duo. No issues at all noted. I haven't gotten to the Pentium M yet. Could you expand a bit on the changes to initrd? Might make it easier to test.

Thanks,
Here are the changes in initrd:
* Easier pupsave management and upgrade (dialog command is implemented)
* Bugs for humongous initrd is fixed.
* A bug where pupsave 2fs/3fs/4fs file was still mounted (that supposed to be unmounted) if the user declines to upgrade is fixed.

augras

#515 Post by augras »

Thanks mistfire, i will ask him.
Philippe

mistfire

#516 Post by mistfire »

New X-Slacko Slim iteration released

Changes:
* Bugfix for ircp-tray startup
* Improved internet connection wizard
* With USB tethering support
* Touchscreen calibrator, Ram Cleaner, and Stay-Online is added
* More bugfixes

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2FRk ... nktcjZaaVE
MD5 Checksum: 4370d3e923ded6c1f4e85def412440f5

Pelo

Touchscreen calibrator ???

#517 Post by Pelo »

Touchscreen calibrator ??? any tester for that ? does that mean you can use X-Slacko with tablet ?

mistfire

#518 Post by mistfire »

@Pelo you can use touchscreen or tablet peripheral in X-Slacko Slim however its just an experimental. It does not guaranteed that it will work because I have no computer with a touchscreen. I noticed that the lxpup 4.10.2 kernel has touchscreen drivers. So I decided to add xorg driver for touchscreen and a touchscreen calibrator. But It does not affect the size of the puppy.

Pelo

Think about people where wireless is hard to join,

#519 Post by Pelo »

about people satisfaction our devs of course are working linked in their workshop. Think about people where wireless is hard to join, they bought a dongle for which a driver is needed and compiled for Puppy Linux (wlan1). That is much more important than PAE (useless IMO), bluetooh, and touchscree,.
My X-Slacko Slim running now is it the kernel 3.14.56. Wlan1 is inop. Wlan 0 is active just for a while. Simply use 3.14.55 I/O 3.14.56 would change my wworld, because driver is made available for Realtek 8192CU by rcrsn 51 in Puppy forum.
Thousands of people are concerned. I am sad that devs make life better to already rich people, but don't have in mind laptop owners. All the new kernels really don't bring anything for most of us.
One of reasons of great success for Puppy was to get old computers with XP continue their life, fast and easy With Puppy. Would Puppy nowadays changes its mind to deal only with bluetooth, wide screens and Tv , becoming unserviceable for its first 'customers' ? And unserviceable for Puppy makers themselves unless they buy new hardware ?
Attachments
antenne.jpeg
Poor passenger has no web without the accurate kernel
(8.4 KiB) Downloaded 507 times

Volhout

Slim pup

#520 Post by Volhout »

Mistfire,

Please continue your effort for slim x slacko. To be honest this puppy is the closest to puppy from earlier times. And small in size.
From your releases i understand you are not trying to create a new puppy, but are sharing whatever you are building for your personal needs. And that is great.
In fact it is one of the most vivid and inspiring developments on the forum.
Just look at the popularity of Barrys Easy linux. Hardly any activity. That was completely different in the Wary and Racy times.

Succes mistfire....keepp the good work.