XenialDog (Ubuntu 16.04 'Xenial Xerus' LTS, 32-bit)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
fredx181

#441 Post by fredx181 »

mikeslr wrote:1, Starts with a netboot ISO; then
2. "Remastering" initrd to support porteus boot. How is this accomplished?
dancytron wrote:Take your time Fred, but I think "How To" is an excellent idea and will be of great value to a lot of people.
I will take my time, but thought I'd better ask you guys now:
What are your wishes or advices what should this howto contain?
I mean is it specially about porteus-boot option or more in general building live OS, e.g. I could:
- write the steps of starting off with a netboot ISO, then install very minimal software e.g. xserver-xorg-core, openbox and some more and then the procedure to remaster, create porteus-boot initrd etc... (this would be long how-to, but very minimal OS)
- write only the steps of creating a porteus-boot initrd from a "official" live-boot Debian cd. (short howto, just a couple of steps)

I've been asked also earlier to make some sort of script/skeleton which makes it possible to create your own DebianDog, exactly as you like, let's say similar to WOOF but I answered at that time that it would be very complicated and probably brings a lot of issues (that I would not call a howto but a project!)

Just some thoughts for now and I will think about it more, but the first option I think is best (and I guess exactly what mikeslr asked).

So, any ideas, suggestions?

Fred

backi

#442 Post by backi »

write only the steps of creating a porteus-boot initrd from a "official" live-boot Debian cd. (short howto, just a couple of steps)
If this would be a easier to describe.....i am quite interested to know how to accomplish this .
But on the other hand don` t want to put another pressure on you ....relax fred .....slow down...you have done a lot of work.

In case you feel fine and in the mood for doing this....all these things should be for fun .

dancytron

#443 Post by dancytron »

- write the steps of starting off with a netboot ISO, then install very minimal software e.g. xserver-xorg-core, openbox and some more and then the procedure to remaster, create porteus-boot initrd etc... (this would be long how-to, but very minimal OS)
I think this would be the most useful. It would really unleash the power for others to create a lot of very different and useful distributions based on the power of what you have learned.

Take your time with it.

Dan
Last edited by dancytron on Tue 14 Mar 2017, 16:44, edited 1 time in total.

fredx181

#444 Post by fredx181 »

backi wrote:But on the other hand don` t want to put another pressure on you ....relax fred .....slow down...you have done a lot of work.
Yes, I sure will, thanks backi!
I've been thinking about such a howto for some time already, just didn't made up my mind yet "How To" make the howto :)

Fred

fredx181

#445 Post by fredx181 »

dancytron wrote:
I think this would be the most useful. It would really unleash the power for others to create a lot of very different and useful distributions based on the power of what you have learned.

Take your time with it.

Dan
Yes, I think also, but on the other hand, it would be only for advanced users then.
I remember myself years ago trying such a way with a very minimal install I got stuck (didn't know were to begin to make it "polished" the way I liked, what to install or do next? didn't know about all that (strange) package names) and at that time chose for the more "official" way such as (prefab) Debian-Live (or official install with full desktop e.g. LXDE or XFCE and the most basic software included anyway).

Just thinking out loud again.

Fred

anikin

#446 Post by anikin »

Fred,

Before you proceed any further, a quick question: Are you ready to put a license note on all the scripts, that you have contributed to the DD project? Or, post a clearly stated refusal to do so.

Unless I've missed something, this is still an unresolved issue. You can't wiggle and dance around it with a howto
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj-VmZYcUhQ

fredx181

#447 Post by fredx181 »

anikin wrote:Fred,

Before you proceed any further with your howto, a quick question: Are you ready to put a license note on all the scripts, that you have contributed to the DD project? Or, post a clearly stated refusal to do so.

Unless I've missed something, this is still an unresolved issue. You can't wiggle and dance around it with a howto
Anikin,

I don't know much about you, but really thought you were intelligent enough to know that I won't reply to any of your posts.
So consider this reply of mine now as absolutely the last time.

Fred

stemsee

#448 Post by stemsee »

Here here Fred!

fredx181

#449 Post by fredx181 »

stemsee wrote:Here here Fred!
Had to look at what it means, found this:
http://grammarist.com/spelling/hear-hear/

So I *think* I'm intelligent enough to know what you mean, so thanks Stemsee !!, but correct your spelling next time :shock: :lol:

Fred

anikin

#450 Post by anikin »

fredx181 wrote:
anikin wrote:Fred,

Before you proceed any further with your howto, a quick question: Are you ready to put a license note on all the scripts, that you have contributed to the DD project? Or, post a clearly stated refusal to do so.

Anikin,

I don't know much about you, but really thought you were intelligent enough to know that I won't reply to any of your posts.
So consider this reply of mine now as absolutely the last time.

Fred
I'm not here to engage you in personal correspondence. I'm not here to evaluate your intelligence or lack of it. I absolutely am not interested in that and I don't have a lot of time for you either. I asked a question (although it's more of a statement), that's on everyone's mind: Why is Fred sabotaging the reconciliation process? Why is he wiggling?

mcewanw

#451 Post by mcewanw »

Fred hasn't 'sabotaged' anything. The past dispute is now all over as Toni also confirmed. Everyone has moved on or continued with the dispute-over present arrangement. Please stop further trying to destroy other people's projects. Anyway, we have no choice but all ignoring the way you continue, 'a'. Pity you won't move on too - aside from everything else, all person's work and efforts are for free. A person can use whatever license they like (including none at all) on their work (and as Fred stated, the lack of license was never intentional anyway - (edit:) many of us do that in early releases now and again - for many of us the main thing is to get the work bug-free as possible and work on release details when we have time). You are never forced to use the releases.
saintless wrote:
fredx181 wrote:Now Peace, Quiet
Yes.

William
github mcewanw

anikin

#452 Post by anikin »

Here's the quote in its entirety:
saintless wrote:Hi Fred.

I will not accept the invitation from William because my idea about DebianDog is still valid. If something is non-free or without license (which is the same) I don't want to have any part of it. Even working on the same github page where non-free license isn't respected.
I care more for the developers wishes and much less for the passengers wishes.

I understand the huge efforts to build and upload all newer iso images and it isn't acceptable for you to rebuild everything. And you don't have to. My idea is mine and your idea is different.
fredx181 wrote:Now Peace, Quiet
Yes.

Toni
Yes, I see Toni's desire for peace but what about his concern over the license issue? If that hurdle has been cleared, I will bite my tongue, apologize to Fred and shut up.

stemsee

#453 Post by stemsee »

@Anikin

At least have the intelligence to realise that your apology is neither sought nor needed! You imagine some game is in progress in which one-up-man-ship is the entire point of playing. But no-one else is playing - as all have caught on and shunned your agenda.

You have appointed yourself as adjudicator; an interlocutor who injects 'too much' negativity into the dialogue, and no original positivity or creativity, IMHO.

Most here favour progress in coding, and ISO releases, not in one-up-man-ship. and that is why, imo, your input/output is DISDAINED. You have missed the important point ... repeatedly! As Einstein noted "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results."

Adios

dancytron

#454 Post by dancytron »

stemsee wrote:@Anikin

At least have the intelligence to realise that your apology is neither sought nor needed! You imagine some game is in progress in which one-up-man-ship is the entire point of playing. But no-one else is playing - as all have caught on and shunned your agenda.

You have appointed yourself as adjudicator; an interlocutor who injects 'too much' negativity into the dialogue, and no original positivity or creativity, IMHO.

Most here favour progress in coding, and ISO releases, not in one-up-man-ship. and that is why, imo, your input/output is DISDAINED. You have missed the important point ... repeatedly! As Einstein noted "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results."

Adios
Or put more simply, please don't feed the troll.

anikin

#455 Post by anikin »

@stemsee

What an outburst, but I don't owe him an apology. Don't spin my words. I would have offered an apology in an *impossible* scenario: if Fred stopped playing games and accepted Toni's conditions. That will never happen. With the support from folks like you, Fred's become the owner of DebianDog. Unlicensed scripts and ownership rights? Who cares. Squeeze Toni out of the playground - we don't need him anymore. You guys are so happy to be part of a stolen project - more power to you.

backi

#456 Post by backi »

Hi !
Agent provocateur goes conspiracy .........be sure nobody is going to believe your lies...go somewhere else looking for trouble ......nobody will swallow your poison.....you will just intoxicate yourself .......so don`t forget .....Karma is a Bitch...

mcewanw

#457 Post by mcewanw »

Deleted this post. Anything else is adding fuel to a dead fire. Toni asked for peace and I respect that.

William
github mcewanw

fredx181

#458 Post by fredx181 »

Ladies and Gentlemen, please, enough off-topic conversations now.

This topic is about XenialDog.
(although any other message that have any connection technically with Linux in general are okay also IMHO)

Fred

Max Headroom

#459 Post by Max Headroom »

G'day there All Puppy / Dog Lovers, I'm having a Very Frustrating Time Getting Me changes.dat File 2 Work which is Currently 4Gb, it is Located in the Casper Directory

Where should it be? Please

& I Guess it's Supposed 2 be Referenced from the menu.lst ?

:)K

backi

#460 Post by backi »

Hi max !
In my opinion ........i find Save Folder better than Save File .....more flexible .....does adjust size automatically ....

To your question above .......where is your casper ? ......is it in a Folder with a name ...or is it on / (root ) of your (Drive/Usb ) partition ?

Post your menu.lst ......