X-Slacko Slim 4.4r49 (unique, stable, and flexible)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Volhout

R41es

#481 Post by Volhout »

Used RUFUS to put the R41es on a USB stick
Made a save file 256Mb

Opened jre1.7-25 sfs (36.5Mbyte) from Slackware 14.2 folder on ibiblio.
SFS do not become part of save file.
Installed Arduino 1.0.5 (22Mbyte, tar.gz) from arduino website.
I do this for all puppies that I test.

But:
My save file is 70% full now (only 90Mb left of 256Mbyte).

How did the save file drow so fast...??

Any idea ? Is it because this is an "es" release ?

Volhout

mistfire

#482 Post by mistfire »

@Volhout Boot X-Slacko Slim using pfix=ram parameter. Mount your save file by double clicking and look inside what occupies disk space on save file

Volhout

memory usage

#483 Post by Volhout »

Dear mistfire,

I have tried to duplicate this 3 times, but was not succesfull.
Not sure what had happened that time.

At this moment I get consistent:
create save file (256Mbyte)
actial size 239Mbyte
available when nothing stored (maybe puppy initial settings) 232 Mbyte
After installing arduino (22Mbyte tar-gz file) save file 151 Mbyte
Actual size arduino folder 60Mbyte + size sketchbook (work area containing libraries and examples in /root) could make up for the 80 Mbyte that is extracted from the save file size.

It seems logical now.

Sorry for the confusion,

Volhout

rasul

#484 Post by rasul »

mistfire wrote: You can try the older X-Slacko Slim versions or use fdrv file of lxpupsc (https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/ ... o/download) if you still want to use the latest version. The link of the old version was on the beginning of this thread. Touch support of slacko is work in progress. I hope @rg66 will make an X-Slacko version of it.[/url]
According to your suggestion I downloaded LXPuppSc and used its fdrv and/or zdrv with no success. Beside that I merged the zdrv from tahrpup with the zdrv from LXPupSC, again with no success.
After that I tried LXPupSc alone, surprisingly it had very good touch screen support, just as the previously mentioned linuxes! But wifi and bluetooth wasn't working there too (at least I couldn't find anywhere how to handle the bluetooth issue there). Also "suspend" wasn't working there while it works well on your distro.
Now I'm confused why using the LXPupSc's fdrv and zdrv doesn't bring the advantages of its parents (for this special case) to your distro? How can I achieve the cynergetic power of all these distros?

Also can you suggest one of the older X-Slack slim distros on the archieve I can use? there were many I couldn't decide which one to test ...

best regards

Volhout

Success

#485 Post by Volhout »

Yesterday I did a full install of XSlacko Slim 4.2r41es on my netbook (asus X101ch) mechanical harddisk (sda4), alongside lubuntu16.04(sda1) and Slacko 5.7.0(sda3). It boots fine and fast, grub4dos boot setup.

Installed Java and Arduino, LinAXEpad, Saleae, and all works.
Please suggest what devx I should install. Still the Slacko 6.3.2 devx (you changed kernel after R37, does that have impact?).

Regards,

Volhout.

P.S. I noticed one minor issue when I tried a frugal install of R41es on the same netbook. It takes minutes before the the screen comes alive (black with mouse cursor for 2 minutes or so). This does not happen in the full install mentioned above. This may relate to the rather awkward N2600 CPU.

mistfire

Re: Success

#486 Post by mistfire »

Volhout wrote:Yesterday I did a full install of XSlacko Slim 4.2r41es on my netbook (asus X101ch) mechanical harddisk (sda4), alongside lubuntu16.04(sda1) and Slacko 5.7.0(sda3). It boots fine and fast, grub4dos boot setup.

Installed Java and Arduino, LinAXEpad, Saleae, and all works.
Please suggest what devx I should install. Still the Slacko 6.3.2 devx (you changed kernel after R37, does that have impact?).

Regards,

Volhout.

P.S. I noticed one minor issue when I tried a frugal install of R41es on the same netbook. It takes minutes before the the screen comes alive (black with mouse cursor for 2 minutes or so). This does not happen in the full install mentioned above. This may relate to the rather awkward N2600 CPU.
Versions of X-Slacko Slim with "se" suffix are experimental. Not advisable for general use.

Theoretically. I suggest devx_6.3.2 of slacko. Theoretically it does not have an impact on the system. Because when the switching kernels only /lib/firmware, /lib/modules, /etc/modules, are changed.

You are right it is a little bit sluggish boot at intel atom N2600.

mistfire

#487 Post by mistfire »

rasul wrote: According to your suggestion I downloaded LXPuppSc and used its fdrv and/or zdrv with no success. Beside that I merged the zdrv from tahrpup with the zdrv from LXPupSC, again with no success.
After that I tried LXPupSc alone, surprisingly it had very good touch screen support, just as the previously mentioned linuxes! But wifi and bluetooth wasn't working there too (at least I couldn't find anywhere how to handle the bluetooth issue there). Also "suspend" wasn't working there while it works well on your distro.
Now I'm confused why using the LXPupSc's fdrv and zdrv doesn't bring the advantages of its parents (for this special case) to your distro? How can I achieve the cynergetic power of all these distros?

Also can you suggest one of the older X-Slack slim distros on the archieve I can use? there were many I couldn't decide which one to test ...

best regards
I think the Xorg version of lxpup and X-Slacko are different. Can you tell me what is the name and model of your bluetooth adapter and wifi card of your computer? You can try X-Slacko Slim 4.2r40.

rasul

#488 Post by rasul »

mistfire wrote: I think the Xorg version of lxpup and X-Slacko are different.
is this the reason for the touch-screen experience-different you mean?
mistfire wrote:Can you tell me what is the name and model of your bluetooth adapter and wifi card of your computer?
I couldn't find them from within the Windows setup on it (device manager), but according to the "support for driver" section of the Asus website at https://www.asus.com/uk/support/Downloa ... 9nSTkU/41/ we have:
- Realtek Audio Driver
- Intel WiFi Wireless LAN Driver
- Intel BlueTooth driver
I guess the models you asked for might not be understood from these driver names, can you please direct me to the right path how can I find the models?
For the wifi/bluetooth drivers, beside the ones pointed above, there are also some Intel WilkinsPeak_StonePeak/StonePeak names also in the pathname of the drivers in my drivers-backup, but have no idea what are these ...
mistfire wrote:You can try X-Slacko Slim 4.2r40.
I downloaded this other version but still no success ... no bluetooth/ no wifi/ no sound/ bad touch experience and even this time no suspend-ability as well ...
How do you think if the 32bit/64bit issue can affect the problem? Before trying you distro I was almost certain that the system can boot only into 64bit distros, as once it gave me error on booting a 32bit Windows 10 with such a message ...

regrads

mistfire

#489 Post by mistfire »

rasul wrote: is this the reason for the touch-screen experience-different you mean?
Probably Yes. Im still waiting for slacko 7. It has full touch support

rasul wrote:Can you please direct me to the right path how can I find the models?
If you are using windows, you can find the name and model of your hardware by using ASTRA32 (http://www.astra32.com/download.htm). If you run it as admin. It will give the whole hardware details of your computer.

rasul

#490 Post by rasul »

mistfire wrote:
rasul wrote:Can you please direct me to the right path how can I find the models?
If you are using windows, you can find the name and model of your hardware by using ASTRA32 (http://www.astra32.com/download.htm). If you run it as admin. It will give the whole hardware details of your computer.
thanks a lot, there are lots of information shown there, here are some data that seems to be more relevant:

wifi:

Description: Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7265
subsystem ID: Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265
vendor: intel corporation
name: wireless 7265
bus type: PCI-E

bluetooth:

Description: bluetooth deviced (personal area network)
vendor: Intel Corp
name: Intel Bluetooth 4.0
bus type: usb

kind regards

mistfire

#491 Post by mistfire »

@rasul it seems that the bluetooth and wifi modules are very recent you can request someone to compile those drivers (if the source code is available) on the hardware section of this puppy forum.

rasul

#492 Post by rasul »

mistfire wrote:@rasul it seems that the bluetooth and wifi modules are very recent you can request someone to compile those drivers (if the source code is available) on the hardware section of this puppy forum.
But on fatdog both of them work fine, doesn't it mean the drivers have been already compiled for puppy?

kind regards

mistfire

#493 Post by mistfire »

@rasul probably yes

Marv

#494 Post by Marv »

A quick question on volume management pertaining to CD/DVD playing in particular.

Running 4.2r41 as a frugal Grub4Dos install on a core 2 duo laptop and on a Pentium M laptop alongside X-slacko 4.2, LxPupSc 17.03.21 and X-tahr 2.0. Tested both with savefile and pfix=ram.

pup-volume-monitor and pup_event_frontend_d are both enabled and running (checked in the task manager), and in puppy event manager all boxes are ticked wrt auto running of CDs and DVDs. When inserting a disk (CD or DVD), nothing shows up in /root/.pup_event and no handler is called. Bouncing to X-slacko 4.2 (or LxPupSc) when a disk is inserted, the usual entry is created in /root/.pup_event for the disk inserted and either a handler or a dialog box is run. I know that Thunar or PcManFM also do volume management but usually the pup_volume_monitor still creates the entries and will call a handler if running. Any thoughts or is this by design? Run X-slacko 4.2 as the closest comparison.

EDIT1: Substituting /usr/local/pup_event/frontend_funcs from X-slacko 4.2 for the one currently in X-slim restores normal function. Correct entries show up in ~/.pup_event and handlers start normally. My guess is that it is the rox detection in the script currently in X-slim but that is just that, a guess, at the moment.
EDIT2: Made a little testscript and checked. It is the roxtest. The script from X-slacko has none. The frontend_funcs script from LxPupSc works also. It still has a test for roxdesktop but that doesn't exit the script if no rox running ie. lxde or xfce desktops.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

mistfire

#495 Post by mistfire »

@Marv you are right I modified /usr/local/pup_event/frontend_funcs to detect if the rox filer pinboard is running. Since X-Slacko Slim is running in xfce desktop, some routines for rox-filer pinboard must be disabled if the rox pinboard is not running. This will make cpu process more efficient and less write cycle.

What part of the script does the rox desktop test does not exit?

UPDATE: pup_event_frontend_d must required to run all the time because it was responsible for other periodic tasks. Only rox related functions are modified.

Marv

#496 Post by Marv »

@mistfire - A quite unexpected ADSL/VDSL changeover by my ISP provider put me offline for a bit hence the late reply. I heartily agree with not running extra processes! Just as info, I did do a little looking at the frontend_funcs file in Slim and to get the puppy event manager to autoplay cds and dvds I had to re-enable the create_appinfo_func, probe_optical_func, and create_icon_func (some needed parameters by the first two are generated there). I also changed the exit in all of the rox tests to return.

Maybe it is just me but I've never been able to get either Thunar or PCManFM volume management alone set up to give rock solid autoplay. Doesn't matter to me but it's a major issue for several of my ex-windows users.

4.2r41 continues to be as solid as it is slim :)

thanks,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

casePup337

#497 Post by casePup337 »

Working on battery issue for LXpup Xenial and landed here, but this looks like a newly interesting Pup to fix grandmas computer. This will make a great recovery cd, looks to have some great tools, and much more!! :lol: Thx..

mistfire

#498 Post by mistfire »

New X-Slacko iteration released

Changes:
* Linux kernel 4.10.2-lxpup
* Improved debian and slackware package compatibility
* Initial touchscreeen support (experimental, 50/50)
* Some bugfixes

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2FRkt ... VFpWGlUbzg
MD5 Checksum: c2b265c7282cdec55067e84475ab032d

Sage

#499 Post by Sage »

Seems OK - bit faster to boot, perhaps.
Quicksetup has reverted to truncation of options again.
What is the point of the opening menu asking whether to boot without save when the same question is asked again when closing down!
Still don't like the browser.
However, small, fast and lightweight is good for it's main purpose of testing/diagnosis/& co.

mistfire

#500 Post by mistfire »

Sage wrote:What is the point of the opening menu asking whether to boot without save when the same question is asked again when closing down!
What procedures did you perform?