Installing printers in Fatdog64

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
PappyPuppy

Installing printers in Fatdog64

#1 Post by PappyPuppy »

I downloaded 64BitInstaller.pet and then I extracted it. It created a directory and dropped shell scripts candi, candi64, debbi, debbi64, petti, remov, etc..

My printer is an HP V40 officejet. Which shell script do I run for that printer?

Is it impossible to use CUPS - it redirects me to a webpage - I think the one for the 64Bit installer.

Just curious - it would be nice to install a printer or two

PappyPuppy

I now know how to run - I went to the directory and ran the

#2 Post by PappyPuppy »

When the dialog goes up, I can choose the Fatdog64 radio button, but at the bottom, I only see

Brother, Canon, Epson, and PET.

HP is not listed so I guess I would choose PET?

PappyPuppy

Trouble with installation dialog

#3 Post by PappyPuppy »

And it said, "not a pet package". I guess it's a script, that's why. I don't know where the packages are.

I'm downloading hplip - that should help. Now I have to select which Linux distribution. Fatdog64 is not listed. I'll have to work on this.

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

I don't think that you are following the instructions correctly. Please post a request for help here and we can do it step-by-step.

You are about to get things badly buggered up.

PappyPuppy

I've now downloaded a .pet package

#5 Post by PappyPuppy »

I've never worked with a .pet file. I would assume I need to extract this. Then somehow use the 64 bit installer? Why do the directions say do not "click install'?

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

If you want to continue this conversation, go to the other thread.

PappyPuppy

I now have usr, var, etc, pet.specs and pinstall.sh

#7 Post by PappyPuppy »

I ran pinstall.sh and it just adds hpaio to the .d dir or something and maybe one or two other things.

Should I now run 64bit installer? Or rn something else?

PappyPuppy

After using an unzipper in local/bin, ExtractZip.sh or somet

#8 Post by PappyPuppy »

with all of the files in the .pet.

Now the installer does not error out. So I gave it the .pet in the iinstall and chose the PET radio button. It never ever said anything like "done" or "success" so I assume it ran ok. I guess I can try the next step in the proces.s

PappyPuppy

My cups server is 64-bit so CUPS looks for files in lib64

#9 Post by PappyPuppy »

Hmmph. Perhaps I need a CUPS32 server running, perhaps not. I don't know. I'll look around and see if I can find a Cups32. I realize there might be other ways to "Add a Printer" but CUPS makes it seem easy - I just click through a bunch of screens.

I just found the file HP_OfficeJet_V40.ppd while I was looking for a 32-bit cups. This might help.

Moat

#10 Post by Moat »

rcrsn51 wrote:If you want to continue this conversation, go to the other thread.
:!:

PappyPuppy

I got the HP V40 printer working on my Fatdog64 distro.

#11 Post by PappyPuppy »

Perhaps some people were using symbolic links or simply use lib as the default for 64-bit. I don't know who made the ,pet file I downloaded - he would know why he used lib instead of lib64.

I solved the problem by copying all the files from lib to lib64. I then removed the printer that erred and simply chose "Add Printer" again (using the CUPS web install link). The original printer I had installed did not resurrect itself (at least not by any simple things I tried). Reinstalling after deleting the failed printer setup was an easy way to solve the problem.

For those who need to use CUPS, here's a link to use to start it on Fatdog64:
http://localhost:631
Then follow the dialogs and hit continue.

For my printer:
http://localhost:631/printers/HP_OfficeJet_V40

I have not tried to set up the scanner, I don't anticipate having problems with that.

One little detail I forgot:
Description: HP OfficeJet V40
Driver: HP OfficeJet V40 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.10 (color, 2-sided printing)
Connection: usb://HP/OfficeJet%20V40?serial=MY16RB40TPWN
Defaults: job-sheets=none, none media=na_letter_8.5x11in sides=one-sided

The above is the setup I chose in the list of setups presented me. I believe either of the V40 drivers would work although I have not tested the 2nd one with the new 64-bit file move.

rcrsn51

Re: I got the HP V40 printer working on my Fatdog64 distro.

#12 Post by rcrsn51 »

PappyPuppy wrote:Perhaps some people were using symbolic links or simply use lib as the default for 64-bit. I don't know who made the ,pet file I downloaded - he would know why he used lib instead of lib64.
That's because you were too stubborn to switch to the other thread and get an explanation.