(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 24 Nov 2020, 10:53
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Puppy linux frugal installation, problem booting [Solved]
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 5 of 5 [74 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
theru

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar 2017, 16:11    Post subject:  

There may be a way to restore Lubuntu's bootloader.

jd7654's post about grub4dos not supporting 64-bit ext4 prompted me to test some stuff in Virtualbox.

I downloaded Lubuntu (Tahr version) and installed it in Virtualbox. I also installed Fatdog64, a distro with puppy-like functionality that uses grub2.

I managed to install fatdog to the Lubuntu image and replace Lubuntu's bootloader.

Unfortunaly this meant that I could only boot fatdog from harddrive and no longer Lubuntu.

Next I zero'd out the mbr resulting in an unbootable drive.

After that I booted Lubuntu from the livecd. I opened a terminal and entered these commands:

Code:
sudo mkdir /mnt/sda1
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda

After that I was able to boot into Lubuntu again.

I got the commands from this page: http://askubuntu.com/questions/74761/how-do-i-manually-install-grub

It's possible to install puppy manually (just copy vmlinuz, initrd.gz, pup... sfs and zdrv... sfs to the harddrive) and to add a grub entry by modifying /etc/grub.d/40_custom

edit: here is a sample entry, posting from an added tahr64 in Virtualbox:

Code:
menuentry 'Tahrpup 64' {
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set e9d8f857-2e26-44ef-afda-f86b85d1f823
linux /tahr64/vmlinuz psubdir=tahr64
initrd /tahr64/initrd.gz
}

I adapted it from this page:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/579574/how-to-install-puppy-linux-frugal-and-configure-grub2-bootloader/

But I used leafpad to add the grub entry

This is installed on the harddrive in directory tahr64. The boot option psubdir=tahr64 makes sure that puppy only looks for sfs files in folder tahr64

Don't know if you need to end with an empty line, I remember something about the last line not being read if it wasn't followed with an empty line.

You can get the uuid by typing blkid in a terminal (in Lubuntu you would need sudo blkid or it won't display anything)
LidiaS

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar 2017, 18:11    Post subject:  

jd7654 wrote:
LidiaS wrote:
I may try jd7654's solution by putting Grub2 in a usb. Is this an easy process?

Then you can boot into Ubuntu and repair.

I did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I logged in my Lubuntu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unbelievable!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Could you now guide me how to 'repair' the situation from Lubuntu???? Embarassed
LidiaS

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar 2017, 18:14    Post subject:  

foxpup wrote:

You could try the chainloading next. It's probably the easiest thing to do.
You add this block in menu.lst on sda1.

title Grub2
find --set-root /boot/grub/core.img
kernel /boot/grub/core.img
boot

Reboot and choose Grub2 this time.
If there is a grub.cfg and core.img, maybe in sda1/boot/grub/, it could work. If you have them elsewhere, change the paths in the block.

Bonne chance. This is quite a challenge, not only for a beginner.

Thanks! I did this too, first. I found the core.img in sda1/boot/grub/i386-pc but the other one grub.cfg was in the directory you said. I tried with both directories and it didn't work. I should note than whenever I booted without the USB, it went straight to the wee messages, so no grub4dos choice there.
jd7654

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar 2017, 18:36    Post subject:  

LidiaS wrote:
jd7654 wrote:
LidiaS wrote:
I may try jd7654's solution by putting Grub2 in a usb. Is this an easy process?

Then you can boot into Ubuntu and repair.

I did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I logged in my Lubuntu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unbelievable!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Could you now guide me how to 'repair' the situation from Lubuntu???? Embarassed

Nice! Congrats.

You can follow instructions from Ubuntu link.
Or just do following will work from inside Ubuntu:

Code:
sudo grub-install /dev/sda
mikeslr

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar 2017, 18:37    Post subject: post subject  

Hi Lidia5,

Please don't think I've abandoned you. Hi Lidia5, Rather, I'm glad jd7654 and theru are on the case as they have identified a problem I wouldn't have recognized and worked toware its solution.

I've only had to resort to grub2 once. [The wife will no longer let me touch her computer where I had to install Zorin just to recover her ability to boot into Window 7]. I had installed manjaro which for reason's beyond me grub4dos didn't recognize. That was before I decided it was easier to boot Puppies using grub4dos + menu.lst on a flash-drive. So I looked for instructions on how to add Puppies to the grub2 bootloader manjaro had written to my hard drive.

There's an extensive tutorial: http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Grub2. But in the end I just adapted the information on nooby's post: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=407969#407969.

I like the idea behind the "find --set-root" argument. At machine speed, a computer can find a file, any file, much quicker than can figure out what drive and partition grub2 or grub4dos wants to call that partition. The names of each Puppy's "core" file is unique: i.e., only tahrpup uses a file named puppy_tahr_6.0.5.sfs. As far as I know, the argument is also valid under grub2. So, if I ever have to resort to grub2 in the future, I would try out the the find --set-root argument.

mikesLr
jd7654

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar 2017, 18:50    Post subject: Re: post subject  

mikeslr wrote:
I'm glad jd7654 and theru are on the case as they have identified a problem I wouldn't have recognized and worked toware its solution.

Yeah, I was reluctant to jump in when someone was already helping, didn't want to pile on and jack the thread. But saw he had a time crunch for a trip, and then recognized that issue with the Error 13.

This is a relatively new issue that came up within the last year, and Puppy may have to address it at some point. Has to do with 64-bit Ext4, which is different from 64-bit Linux. Started with 1.43 version of e2fsprogs, which came in with Ubuntu 16.10. Syslinux posted some info about it:
http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php?title=Filesystem
Quoting part of the release notes of version 1.43 of e2fsprogs (May 17, 2016):
Mke2fs will now create file systems with the metadata_csum and 64bit features enabled by default.
Users should rather (manually) disable the 64bit feature in the mke2fs command when creating / formatting a boot volume with ext4; otherwise, the bootloader (as of version 6.03) will fail.

Ok, I'm out, Lurk mode, on. Cool
LidiaS

PostPosted: Thu 02 Mar 2017, 20:01    Post subject: Finally did it!  

It worked like a charm! Now it boots straight to Lubuntu. Tomoroow I will try booting from the USB with the puppy to see how are things there. After my trip, I will try and do a frugal on the drive again, and I hope that keeping the Grub2 will allow me to boot from either.

I would like to really, REALLY, thank you all. You spent so much time and ideas when you didn't have to. I *feel* I have learned so much these past few days! And I definitely became much more familiar with puppy and saw its advantages. Its boot speed and browsing speed do not even begin to compare with my Lubuntu.

Special thanks go to Mikeslr (of course you didn't forget me, you did everything and explained in detail!), jd7654 (the swift solution savior), foxpup (replying and discussing all my questions at all times), and theru (sorry I didn't manage to test all suggested solutions!)

Many, MANY thanks. Smile
foxpup

PostPosted: Fri 03 Mar 2017, 05:34    Post subject:  

@Lidia: I am glad it worked out! "With a little help from me friends" It was a steep learing curve for me too. Wink

Quote:
Tomoroow I will try booting from the USB with the puppy to see how are things there.

Why? I think you should just have the puppy already on your sda1 (the map with the main sfs, driver's sfs, kernel and init are a frugal installation of puppy - that is all that is needed) booting with grub2. Theru showed the way with modifying /etc/grub.d/40_custom .
Do not reinstall grub4dos! Wink

@jd7654:
Quote:
Started with 1.43 version of e2fsprogs, which came in with Ubuntu 16.10.

Do you know of any other distros that use it? It would be good to know when to be on ones guard.

@mikesLr:
Quote:
I like the idea behind the "find --set-root" argument. At machine speed, a computer can find a file, any file, much quicker than can figure out what drive and partition grub2 or grub4dos wants to call that partition.
Surprised
I always look for uuid and use that in menu.lst . So I better change that for speed?
jd7654

PostPosted: Fri 03 Mar 2017, 06:07    Post subject:  

foxpup wrote:
@jd7654:
Quote:
Started with 1.43 version of e2fsprogs, which came in with Ubuntu 16.10.

Do you know of any other distros that use it? It would be good to know when to be on ones guard.

Technically, any distro released after May 2016 could have its installer creating 64-bit Ext4 partitions. Depends if their programs are all up to date.(check Distrowatch table) This will be more and more of a problem as new users try to install Puppy on top of newer distros with this feature enabled. Luckily was not in Ubuntu 16.04LTS which is so widespread, but appears to have gotten in with 16.10. I noticed it on an Arch derivative, but they are more up to date than others.

Grub2 would be the proper accepted solution to boot into 64-bit Ext4.

But not too hard to workaround. You can chainload into partition, provided you move Grub2 from MBR to PBR first.(which is frowned upon) Or removing 64-bit feature is a quick and painless couple seconds, resize2fs with "-s" option. But you need a 1.43 or later e2fsprogs. Puppy and many other tools can't do it. Then you can use GrubLegacy/Grub4DOS/Syslinux again.
foxpup

PostPosted: Fri 03 Mar 2017, 07:23    Post subject:  

Thanks for the info, jd7654.

I would probably just switch to grub2. Why not?
jd7654

PostPosted: Fri 03 Mar 2017, 15:06    Post subject:  

foxpup wrote:
Thanks for the info, jd7654.

I would probably just switch to grub2. Why not?

Yes, just using Grub2 as the master bootloader is the *accepted* way to do it.

Speaking for myself. I don't. I do it the old way (wrong way) with Grub4DOS, direct load or chainload partition with Grub2/Syslinux on PBR of 32-bit Ext4. It all depends how you set up the partitions and run the installer. Many installers want to take over your drive and setup multiple partitions, with a separate boot partition, replace Windows loader with Grub2 on MBR, etc. I usually setup my partitions myself beforehand and keep each OS contained to its own partition. Many ways to do it, To each his own.
theru

PostPosted: Fri 03 Mar 2017, 18:00    Post subject:  

Glad to hear that you're up and running again.

Looks like sudo grub-install /dev/sda it's all that's needed to reinstall grub to mbr. The mounting and root directory part is only needed when you also need to install the grub files.

It's nice to hear that you can easily switch to 32bit without having to reformat. I've done some reading and it looks like you only need 64bit partitions when the partition size is 16 TB or greater.

Keep in mind that the grub files get updated automatically on a kernel or distro upgrade so I would recommend to make a backup of any grub files that have been edited manually.
foxpup

PostPosted: Sat 04 Mar 2017, 07:33    Post subject:  

jd7654 wrote:
Speaking for myself. I don't. I do it the old way (wrong way) with Grub4DOS, direct load or chainload partition with Grub2/Syslinux on PBR of 32-bit Ext4.

You use bootice to do it?
sheldonisaac

PostPosted: Sun 14 Jan 2018, 17:18    Post subject:  

theru (in part) wrote:
I've done some reading and it looks like you only need 64bit partitions when the partition size is 16 TB or greater.

Well, theru and others, since my largest drive is 1 TB, I hope I can ignore the situation where the filesystem itself would be 64-bit. I am sorry to be so lazy, but I like grub4dos, and hope I needn't use something else.

Thank you all,
Sheldon

Page 5 of 5 [74 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: