X-Slacko Slim 4.4r49 (unique, stable, and flexible)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
mistfire

#461 Post by mistfire »

I found also the issue on test release. Samba on thunar does not work. When the kernel is switched.

mistfire

#462 Post by mistfire »

Samba on thunar is now works however the total filesize was increased by 10Mb after I swapped the kernel from lxpup. I try to make it smaller.

mistfire

#463 Post by mistfire »

New X-Slacko Slim iteration released:

Changes:
* Improved filemnt
* Some bugfixes

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2FRk ... FBRYThFN00
MD5 Checksum: 66a1ec68156b4f2b73715842eb3872ff

mistfire

#464 Post by mistfire »

Here is the special edition of X-Slacko Slim 4.2r40. This special release uses linux 4.1.11 kernel. For testing purpose only

Download link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2FRk ... HhRN0VYbjA

mistfire

#465 Post by mistfire »

New X Slacko Slim test release

Changes:
* linux kernel 4.10.1
* With PuppyBT bluetooth manager

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2FRk ... 3BHM241NEU

Pelo

some kernels (many?) have no drivers available

#466 Post by Pelo »

Included drivers for Wifi antennas are useless, why ?
Antennas are cheap enough, and so efficient !
Laptops owners care about applications available but where they can go is important too. Many of them buy a laptop to be used outside (excepted our devs, working hard at home, not compiling on the beach :!: )
About wireless , beware some kernels (many?) have no drivers available for WIFI antennas, and that means you must use your laptop at home but you will be unable to connect to WIFI spots outside (true in most countries outside big cities)
The 8192cu listed are unefficient if driver pet not installed ( see rcrsn51 topics about that) 3.14.56 is available... for tahrpup. 3.14.55 is available for Slacko. My x-slacko running is 3.14.56.
However ok for bluetooh inside (But i am not concerned)
Personnaly i always have a Puppy pendrive in my suitcase, and i use it on my family computers when in their sweet home. That is much easier than to travel with my Medion Akoya.
slacko 6.3.2 (Slaxen) same kernel

NDLR : 4.10.1 not available for my antenna , not yet 'compiled'.
Attachments
Wifi .jpg
Puppy indoor or outdoor
(72.28 KiB) Downloaded 989 times
Last edited by Pelo on Sun 05 Mar 2017, 11:28, edited 7 times in total.

Pelo

try in progress th change the kernel with 3.14.55.

#467 Post by Pelo »

try in progress th change the kernel with 3.14.55. Feed back soon
:? failed !
Blacklist the driver to see what happens.The module 8192cu is not listed, neither in left nor in right column. Bah ! i will check again to-morrow :?
Usually i am successfull ...

10 AM : in the morning, 8192cu blacklisted, but no better results.

mistfire

#468 Post by mistfire »

New X-Slacko Slim iteration released

Changes:

* 4.10.1 lxpup kernel (This will become a hybrid of lxpupsc and X-slacko)
* New initrd from lxpupsc. This will provide modularity, you can now use fdrv, adrv, and zdrv files of lxpupsc and other puplets easily by renaming them into fdrv/adrv/zdrv_xslacko_4.2sfs and place it beside the main puppy sfs file then reboot or boot

* New and improved bluetooth management and HID support.
* Some bugfixes

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2FRk ... 2N6MGhWa0E
MD5 Checksum: ef2d827d13130171b1d4c784acd65538
Last edited by mistfire on Sat 04 Mar 2017, 12:08, edited 3 times in total.

mistfire

#469 Post by mistfire »

@Pelo you can try this new version of X-Slacko Slim. It has Realtek RTL8192cu kernel modules and drivers.

Sage

#470 Post by Sage »

At last everything works! Boot up is good. Quicksetup is normal comprehensive collection. FP 10.3.183.23 displays BBC content properly in FF. This one is a keeper, well done! Ignore siren voices, no more twiddles, please...

Pelo

Everything works ? wonderful..

#471 Post by Pelo »

Everything works ? wonderful.. perhaps depends on what is tested.I will try only if my laptop can connect outside (wireless wlan1). I will not check again CDs DVDs. No Bluetooth equipment at Home. Build-in camera never used.
Why do i hate tablet to surf outside on the web ? Because of keyboard. Perhaps i am an idiot, but i get nervous typing on the screen, I prefer my usual laptop, but i need wireless really working, and Puppy Linux drivers provided by defaut are useless, unless you install rcrsn51 pets (8192cu)
Mistfire, new version being downloaded, i wait for better connection.

To Twiddle : ok understood (reverso dictionnary) / I agree. Brainstorming must start from what it is, not from what it could be.
Who would go back at home to make a call with his portable phone, because wireless not available ? please compile drivers for kernels and include the in the ISO.

Marv

#472 Post by Marv »

A quick test of 4.2.41 on my all intel core 2 duo. Slim has come far since the last time I tested (quite a while ago). All in all, a nice clean, slim boot.

video-info-glx 1.5.1 Sat 4 Mar 2017 on X-Slacko Slim 4.2 Linux 4.10.1-lxpup-32-pae i686
2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)

X Server: Xorg Driver: intel
X.Org version: 1.14.3
dimensions: 1280x800 pixels (338x211 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset x86/MMX/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 9.1.7

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40GHz
Core 0: @800 1: @800 MHz

A couple of comments below keeping in mind that one size never fits all (I prefer slim).

1. No intel firmware in /lib/firmware. I just grabbed the files I need from the current LxPupSc fdrv as 4 files cover all my machines. Putting that fdrv in the Slim boot directory would easily give access to many more for testing...

2. Belham2 and I both found that the 'alternative' 4.4.45 kernel for LxPupSc was much more compatible with hardware circa 2006 and earlier, the 4.10.1 with newer. I haven't tested that yet in Slim but kernel swaps are easy now with zdrv support and the change_kernels script.

3. Since Slim comes without firefox or an equivalent, some of the libraries for chromium or chromium derivatives such as slimjet are not present. Some of the SFS may carry them but the slimjet one that I was using didn't so I just rolled them into it (13.0.3.0) and put a couple of lines in the slimjet-flashpeak wrapper script there to export the slimjet lib path in /opt. 54Mb squashed, runs well though one nacl_helper error still shows in terminal. The resulting slimjet library in my SFS is (pet too big to post at 1.3Mb):

/opt/slimjet/lib:
libnspr4.so.0d libplc4.so libplds4.so.0d
libnss3.so libplc4.so.0d libsmime3.so
libnspr4.so libnssutil3.so libplds4.so libssl3.so
/opt/slimjet/lib/nss:
libfreebl3.chk libnssckbi.so libnssdbm3.so libsoftokn3.so
libfreebl3.so libnssdbm3.chk libsoftokn3.chk

Edit: 4.4.45 kernel run on the core 2 duo laptop above. Boots and runs just fine. Looking at glxgears FPS, CPU utilization, fan control, general 'snappiness' I'd give the 4.10.1 the edge on this generation (and almost certainly anything newer). On the other hand based on everything I've done with the Pentium M era hardware I'd swap the 4.4.45 in before I even started setup on that.
Last edited by Marv on Sun 05 Mar 2017, 01:37, edited 1 time in total.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

rasul

wifi problem

#473 Post by rasul »

thanks for the great job ... a recent kernel, using xfce desktop, support for bluetooth, slim and beyond ... Hope I can completely immigrate to this puplet ...

two problem that I have upto this point:

1. on my Acer Aspire One D270 netbook wireless is not functioning ... on Raring the right module is identified as "wl" with "pci" bus, but x-slacko slim automatically uses another module and it doesn't work (doesn't find any connection on around), also in the list of modules there was no module "wl" with "pci" bus, some similar matches but not the exact match ...

2. on my Asus T300 chi tablet whose keyboard works through bluetooth in the boot process the OS stops at xorgwizard, but havig no keyboard at the stage is stuck there forever unless I shut it down by keeping pressing the power button for some seconds. Is there any way to make the xorgwizard run by alterig some boot parameters, guess not, but maybe there are other ways to handle the issue?

mistfire

Re: wifi problem

#474 Post by mistfire »

rasul wrote: 1. on my Acer Aspire One D270 netbook wireless is not functioning ... on Raring the right module is identified as "wl" with "pci" bus, but x-slacko slim automatically uses another module and it doesn't work (doesn't find any connection on around), also in the list of modules there was no module "wl" with "pci" bus, some similar matches but not the exact match ...
1. Try to load the zdrv/fdrv file of raring or lxpupsc or other puplet. rename that to fdrv_xslacko_4.2.sfs or zdrv_xslacko_4.2.sfs
rasul wrote: 2. on my Asus T300 chi tablet whose keyboard works through bluetooth in the boot process the OS stops at xorgwizard, but having no keyboard at the stage is stuck there forever unless I shut it down by keeping pressing the power button for some seconds. Is there any way to make the xorgwizard run by alterig some boot parameters, guess not, but maybe there are other ways to handle the issue?
2. Use an OTG cable and plug a USB keyboard on the tablet. I suggest that you must a USB hub in order to connect the bootable usb and USB keyboard at the same time.

Sage

#475 Post by Sage »

2. Belham2 and I both found that the 'alternative' 4.4.45 kernel for LxPupSc was much more compatible with hardware circa 2006 and earlier, the 4.10.1 with newer.
Interesting perspective. For the record, when I report on 32bit offerings, mostly that uses my bench XP2400+ single core, mainly because that typifies the widest range of 'older' single core equipment still in use in the field. Experience suggests that punters following the trade already have multi-core machines/64bit/ USB2or3/onboard graphics and far too much memory than they need, and will be running in 64bit. ipso facto, IMO that relieves developers like misty from worrying about issues that might only affect a vanishing minority.
Which is, I suppose, a backhanded compliment to misty who has achieved his main objectives with release 41 of v4.2.

rasul

#476 Post by rasul »

mistfire wrote:
rasul wrote: 1. on my Acer Aspire One D270 netbook wireless is not functioning ... on Raring the right module is identified as "wl" with "pci" bus, but x-slacko slim automatically uses another module and it doesn't work (doesn't find any connection on around), also in the list of modules there was no module "wl" with "pci" bus, some similar matches but not the exact match ...
1. Try to load the zdrv/fdrv file of raring or lxpupsc or other puplet. rename that to fdrv_xslacko_4.2.sfs or zdrv_xslacko_4.2.sfs
thank you ... I used Tahr's zdrv file and the problem was resolved ... wifi now works with the very module x-slacko slim had recognized itself, instead of the module raring was used to call for ... both interesting and strange at the same time ...
mistfire wrote:
rasul wrote: 2. on my Asus T300 chi tablet whose keyboard works through bluetooth in the boot process the OS stops at xorgwizard, but having no keyboard at the stage is stuck there forever unless I shut it down by keeping pressing the power button for some seconds. Is there any way to make the xorgwizard run by alterig some boot parameters, guess not, but maybe there are other ways to handle the issue?
2. Use an OTG cable and plug a USB keyboard on the tablet. I suggest that you must a USB hub in order to connect the bootable usb and USB keyboard at the same time.
yes, that's the most reasonable answer, thank you ... I did so but even xorgwizard didn't help ...
Neither addition of the zdrv file from tahrpup helped, nor did help the addition of the zdrv file from xenialpup ... Entering the xorgwizard in the section "set video driver" and trying different drivers (from the list provided, not entering any input by myself) always yield into the message "vesa bios extensions not detected". Any clue for that?
thanks, Rasul

mistfire

#477 Post by mistfire »

rasul wrote:Entering the xorgwizard in the section "set video driver" and trying different drivers (from the list provided, not entering any input by myself) always yield into the message "vesa bios extensions not detected". Any clue for that?
Did you boot on UEFI mode? Try this method:
1. On xorgwizard of X-Slacko Slim select "Load xorg.conf file"
2. Then select "xorg.conf-uefi-failsafe"
3. After you loaded it then select "Start X Window" on xorgwizard main menu

rasul

#478 Post by rasul »

mistfire wrote: Did you boot on UEFI mode? Try this method:
1. On xorgwizard of X-Slacko Slim select "Load xorg.conf file"
2. Then select "xorg.conf-uefi-failsafe"
3. After you loaded it then select "Start X Window" on xorgwizard main menu
you were right, now it's up and barking ... I really appreciate your time and effort, thank you

rasul

#479 Post by rasul »

alas, Asus T300 chi still has serious problems, bluetooth not working, touchscreen not responding well (the pointer rests ad moves far from the finger touchig the screen), sound and wifi not working out of the box (seemingly works exploiting a zdrv file from another puppy) ...
mistfire, the laptop/tablet is not old, I mean it has core M cpu after all. It works fine under linuxes with older kernels (fatdog, porteus, remixOS),so strange to me that a newer kernel is this much problematic and lacking the required drivers ... do you have any idea what may be the cause of the problem? I'm very intrested to use your great job on both of my machines.

mistfire

#480 Post by mistfire »

rasul wrote:alas, Asus T300 chi still has serious problems, bluetooth not working, touchscreen not responding well (the pointer rests ad moves far from the finger touchig the screen), sound and wifi not working out of the box (seemingly works exploiting a zdrv file from another puppy) ...
mistfire, the laptop/tablet is not old, I mean it has core M cpu after all. It works fine under linuxes with older kernels (fatdog, porteus, remixOS),so strange to me that a newer kernel is this much problematic and lacking the required drivers ... do you have any idea what may be the cause of the problem? I'm very intrested to use your great job on both of my machines.
You can try the older X-Slacko Slim versions or use fdrv file of lxpupsc (https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/ ... o/download) if you still want to use the latest version. The link of the old version was on the beginning of this thread. Touch support of slacko is work in progress. I hope @rg66 will make an X-Slacko version of it.[/url]