WakePup2 v0.2 - Floppy boot disk (or boot CD) for Puppy2

News, happenings
pakt

WakePup2 v0.2 - Floppy boot disk (or boot CD) for Puppy2

#1 Post by pakt »

WakePup2 is a boot disk using FreeDOS that can boot Puppy2 from built-in hard disk and CD-ROM drives as well as USB hard disk, CD-ROM and flash drives. It will run from floppy disk or CD. Except for the drivers, WakePup2 uses only GPL'd software or freeware.

See also WkPup2x v0.2, here, for a special version of WakePup2 that can boot puppy from USB devices attached to a PCMCIA USB2 adapter in your laptop. Useful if you laptop doesn't have USB ports or just to speed up booting if the built-in laptop ports are only USB1. You can boot it from floppy or, if your laptop supports it, boot from CD.

Barry has conveniently put a floppy disk image of WakePup2 in Puppy2alpha-7may06. Unfortunately, that early version has a bug in it that prevents the boot option (acpi=on or acpi=off) from working. Use this version instead.

While fixing the bug, I took the opportunity to improve WakePup2 somewhat.

- I have extended the drive letters that get searched for Puppy2 files to the maximum for those cases where the hard disk(s) has/have many partitions (C through W for IDE/USB drives not including CD-ROM and X through Z for CD-ROM). If you have two IDE CD-ROM drives (not uncommon today), the first one gets drive letter X, the second Y. If a USB CD-ROM is found, it gets drive letter Z.

- There are now three boot options:
1. acpi=on Default for newer PCs (made 2002 or later)
2. acpi=off For older PCs, or use if acpi=on causes problems
3. acpi=force Needed to force acpi=on on older PCs

- I have also made an iso image of WakePup2 for those who have PCs that can boot from CD but not USB. Ideal to put on a mini-CD to carry along with a USB flash pen containing Puppy2 and your personal files.

How to make a WakePup2 floppy disk
----------------------------------
With a formatted 1.44MB diskette in the floppy drive, do one of the following:

1) In DOS/Windows, unzip WKPUP202.ZIP in a temp dir and execute MAKEDISK.BAT

2) In Linux, copy WKPUP202.ZIP to a temp dir and execute:
# unzip WKPUP202.ZIP
# dd if=WKPUP202.IMG of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k

Using WakePup2
--------------
I have provided the marker files IDEHD, USBHD and USBFLASH for convenience on the WakePup2 floppy. Just copy the one you need to the drive you want to boot from containing the Puppy2 files [INITRD.GZ, PUP_xxx.SFS and VMLINUZ]. The CD-ROM doesn't need a marker file.

Examples of booting Puppy2 with WakePup2:

- Boot from a built-in hard disk: copy the IDEHD marker file to the hard disk partition containing the Puppy2 files, then boot using WakePup2.

- Boot from a USB hard disk: copy the USBHD file to the hard disk partition containing the Puppy2 files, then boot using WakePup2.

- Boot from a USB flash pen: copy the USBFLASH file to the same location as the Puppy2 files on the drive, then boot using WakePup2.

- Boot from a built-in IDE or external USB CD-ROM: no marker file is needed - WakePup2 should find the Puppy2 files anyway.

WakePup2 will pause after the USB driver has scanned for USB devices. If it detects one, it will print a short id string. If not, it will print "Target USB device not found".

Notes
-----
- WakePup2 can only find Puppy2 files on DOS (FAT16 or FAT32) formatted partitions.

- WakePup2 does not seem to work with some USB flash drives. It seems to be dependant on the make of the controller chip used in the drives.

- If WakePup2 cannot find your USB flash device, it may help to reformat it (FAT16, or FAT32 if the drive is 4GB or larger) .

[Edited post to correct links and update text]
Attachments
wkpup202.zip
WakePup2 for floppy disk - contains a batch file to make the floppy.
(160.66 KiB) Downloaded 51325 times
wkpup2-02-iso.zip
WakePup2 iso image - burn to CD. Note: the burned CD will appear empty because WakePup2 is in the CD boot track.
(150.42 KiB) Downloaded 14222 times
Last edited by pakt on Wed 18 Mar 2009, 17:43, edited 8 times in total.

MU

#2 Post by MU »

Have you seen the news already?
May 12
Now that pakt's WakePup2 is in the live-CD, it needs a frontend GUI, so I have written one, that is run from the menu "Setup --> WakePup create boot floppy".

The Puppy Universal Installer has been upgraded to integrate usage of GParted and WakePup.
:P

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

:) Is this a case of great minds thinking alike?

I feel the work you have done will be very useful to those using existing Puppys . . . 8)
Last edited by Lobster on Fri 12 May 2006, 11:06, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

I'm just putting in some infrastructure to fully utilise WakePup2 and GParted,
now that they are in Puppy2 iso file.

pakt

#5 Post by pakt »

MU wrote:Have you seen the news already?
May 12
Now that pakt's WakePup2 is in the live-CD, it needs a frontend GUI, so I have written one, that is run from the menu "Setup --> WakePup create boot floppy".

The Puppy Universal Installer has been upgraded to integrate usage of GParted and WakePup.
That's funny :lol: What a coincidence! Great news that Barry has made a frontend GUI for it :D

I've just spent a few hours preparing the wakepup2 package and composing the text for the forum, so I hadn't checked the news or the forum 'till now.

Paul
Last edited by pakt on Wed 18 Mar 2009, 08:44, edited 1 time in total.

pakt

#6 Post by pakt »

Lobster wrote::) Is this a case of great minds thinking alike?

I feel the work you have done will be very useful to those using exiting Puppys . . . 8)
It seems WakePup for Puppy1 was very successful - iirc, it had been downloaded at least two thousand times last time I looked. I was especially pleased to get this post from dustypenguin:
dustypenguin wrote:I just wanted to thank you for wake pup. That amazing piece of software allowed me to install puppy on a Compaq 4220 that can not boot off the CD. Even more amazing is it allowed me to install puppy on a couple of old (233 MHz) donated computers with dead, non-repalceable bios batteries. These computers could not even tell themselves that they had hard drives or CD Drives, but wake pup found both! With some scripts that update the time and date at boot, wake pup boots these machines and they are used as internet access and light word processing machines in the library of the mission school here in Niger.

RRPotratz
Systems Administration
SIM Niger
Niamey, Niger, West Africa
Lobster wrote:exiting Puppys
Er, 'exiting Puppys' ? Is this a new breed ;)

Paul :D

feliperv

#7 Post by feliperv »

I downloaded puppy 2.0 seamonkey. I have a k6 233 with only 32mb ram with floppy and without cd-rom.

Wakepup2 run but the software want to mount puppy in ram , how i change this to mount in hd?

Thank You

fun500

#8 Post by fun500 »

Thank U so so much for this!! I computer would not boot to any CDs at all and it booted right up with wakepup2 0.2!!!

YJL

#9 Post by YJL »

First of all I too want to say how great this thing works

second... I know this is not puppylinux related as such but I was wondering

if the wake2pup could be comfigured to boot GeexBox from usb as well

(as it also has an optional installation to boot from usb)

thanks in advance

YJL

HappyPuppyUser

hrm...

#10 Post by HappyPuppyUser »

So, I figured I'd try puppy on one of my dear shools computers.. it cannot boot from cd (the bios is passwd protected of course...) so I use the wakepup provided here it boots just fine but does not seem to find the Cdrive...? (nor the internal harddrive...) It just tells me "Hmm... Wakepup was unable to find the puppyfiles anywhere..."
(I realise I cannot be helped whitout providing descriptions of the cddrive of the matter but the comp. seem quite reluctant to hardwareprobing...)
(btw) sorry if this is the completely wrong place to post this I only just realised that this is an "Announcements" section...)

pakt

Re: hrm...

#11 Post by pakt »

HappyPuppyUser wrote:So, I figured I'd try puppy on one of my dear shools computers.. it cannot boot from cd (the bios is passwd protected of course...) so I use the wakepup provided here it boots just fine but does not seem to find the Cdrive...? (nor the internal harddrive...) It just tells me "Hmm... Wakepup was unable to find the puppyfiles anywhere..."
(I realise I cannot be helped whitout providing descriptions of the cddrive of the matter but the comp. seem quite reluctant to hardwareprobing...)
(btw) sorry if this is the completely wrong place to post this I only just realised that this is an "Announcements" section...)
If you have made the Puppy boot CD correctly from the iso file and you have put the CD in the CD-ROM drive, WakePup2 should find Puppy on the CD and boot from it.

The only other possible problem I can see is if the CD-ROM drive has problems reading the CD. In that case, you might try burning Puppy on another brand of CD or burn at a lower speed.

contents

#12 Post by contents »

Does anyone know if wakepup2.02 works with Puppy2.10? Or will wakepup require an update to work?

I would try it myself, but I don't have a floppy drive handy. I'm trying to advise a friend who is new to linux and has an old laptop which can't boot from CD.

Thanks much.

thumpnyc

Message "LINLD can't read first KB"

#13 Post by thumpnyc »

When I run wakepup 2 with puppy 2.12 in a cd-rom drive, it successfully finds the files on the cd-rom (drive X), but after choosing a boot option (I have tried all 3) I get a message saying "LINLD can't read first KB". Any ideas?

Sit Heel Speak

#14 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

1. Check its md5sum to make sure you got a good download. In Windows, Google to find md5sum.exe, download it, open a DOS window and issue

md5sum puppy-212-seamonkey.iso

(name may be slightly different) (and you must be in the correct subdir).

Or, in Puppy, menu-file manager-Roxfiler, navigate up and over to the subdir where you downloaded the .iso, right-click-on-whitespace, Window-open terminal window here (or similar) and issue the command

md5sum puppy-212-seamonkey.iso

The return code string from md5sum should match the text of puppy-212-seamonkey.iso.md5 from where you downloaded it (again, names may be slightly different).

2. There are two ways to burn an .iso image to CD.

One way is to burn the .iso file directly (a directory listing will show puppy-212-seamonkey.iso) (in TkDVD this is the "Burn files and folders on a CD/DVD" option). This is the wrong way.

The other option is "Burn iso9660 image." Afterward, a directory listing will show vmlinuz, initrd.gz, pup_212.sfs, and others. This is the correct way.

Hope this helps. Welcome to the kennels.

marc66thomas

Wake-Pup has Given life to my Puppy options

#15 Post by marc66thomas »

Wake pup have given life to my Old Laptop.

Can you suggest if I can control the load of FB800x600 so the video will work with the Dell Latitude LM? specifically, Is there a way to allow a user option on the menu for Frame buffering of video?

It appears that the video selection video=VGA has been coded in the Wake pup or accompaning files. My old box need frame buffering. After the full load of pup202, the screen is yellow and green and I can make out only a few images or menus.

I believe the opening screen is video options but I need to set FB on os load (i think)

MT
Last edited by marc66thomas on Fri 02 Feb 2007, 18:21, edited 2 times in total.

pakt

Re: Wake-Pup has Given life to my Puppy options

#16 Post by pakt »

marc66thomas wrote:Wake pup have given life to my Old Laptop.
Great :)
marc66thomas wrote:Can you suggest if I can control the load of FB800x600 so the video will work with the Dell Latitude LM? specifically, Is there a way to allow a user option on the menu for Frame buffering of video?
First off, which Puppy version are you using? There were fb problems with 2.12 which Barry fixed in 3.13-final.

See for example http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=14068
marc66thomas wrote:It appears that the video selection has been coded in the Wake pup ISO and files.
No, WakePup doesn't append any video boot options.

However, if your running WakePup from floppy, you can edit autoexec.bat (IIRC) and add any boot options you want.

Paul
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux

Sage

#17 Post by Sage »

Some feedback. Was only able to makedisk from within a DOS window under W98. The resulting boot disk appears to have an ASPI driver and apparently seeks scsi drives, but then fails to continue whatever it does to scsi about halfway through? Any chance of including scsi HDs, please?
Can it be extended to seek ext2/3 drives?

pakt

#18 Post by pakt »

Sage wrote:Some feedback.
Sage wrote:The resulting boot disk appears to have an ASPI driver and apparently seeks scsi drives, but then fails to continue whatever it does to scsi about halfway through? Any chance of including scsi HDs, please?
Yes, WakePup uses Adaptec's v4.01b ASPI disk driver to map ASPI mass storage devices to DOS drive letters.

I haven't really worked much with SCSI drives, but I do remember that there were *many* different SCSI DOS drivers from different companies that more or less worked with certain brands of drive (did I remember that correctly?). A real mess IOW.

It may be possible to add a SCSI hard disk driver to WakePup, but you would have to give me the details and driver for the drive you're interested in. This, I assume, would have to run before the above mentioned ASPI disk driver that maps the device to a drive letter.

Sage, if your DOS knowledge is up to snuff, you could try modifying WakePup to boot from SCSI yourself. I don't have any such hardware so it would be difficult for me to test.
Sage wrote:Can it be extended to seek ext2/3 drives?
Nope, not that I know of - we're talking DOS here, even if it is FreeDOS (there's not a single line of MS code in WakePup ;))

Paul
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux

Sage

#19 Post by Sage »

I am not a SW person! I fiddle a lot with the HW and suffer miserably where SW is concerned! This:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=9377
may be relevant?
As you know, W98 has generic ASPI drivers from Adaptec in the initial detection & booting phase. Not sure how this helps?
As you'll see from the live thread above, we have discovered that the 2.6 kernel used in P2.13 contains a wide selection of PCI scsi drivers, as does DSL. Not sure how useful/relevant his might be in the present context? In complete ignorance, I would suspect that some generic-type drivers that suit a range of Adaptec, Advansys, initio, Symbios, etc cards should hit the mark?
Testing your hard work may be the limit of my ability. So, Paul, whatever you might be able to accomplish will be gratefully received!

marc66thomas

Re: Wake-Pup has Given life to my Puppy options

#20 Post by marc66thomas »

See for example http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=14068
marc66thomas wrote:It appears that the video selection has been coded in the Wake pup ISO and files.
No, WakePup doesn't append any video boot options.

However, if your running WakePup from floppy, you can edit autoexec.bat (IIRC) and add any boot options you want.

Paul[/quote]

Paul thank you for the post. I'm encouraged That I'm on the right track but need to find the right commands and syntax for them.

I'm trying to boot meanpup 2.02 to load with Wakepup2 http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=15109 is the WakePup questions that list my issue. (i didn't want to hijack your thread)

I'll look around the post some more to see if I can glean the fb command.
all searched were cold (i didn't find any)

Thanks for the hints. on the autoexec.bat IIRC. What is the IIRC part?