I'm Planning on Trying Linux Deploy-Any Recommended Puppies?

Booting, installing, newbie
s243a

I'm Planning on Trying Linux Deploy-Any Recommended Puppies?

#1 Post by s243a »

I'm planning on trying linux deploy so I can run a version of linux alongside with android.

I think the main feature that I want from puppy is limited writes to storage to avoid wearing down my internal storage (or external SD card).

I will be trying this on a Samsung Note 4.

Wikipedia says that it uses the following chips
The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 features a 2560×1440 Quad HD (QHD) WQ HD Super AMOLED 5.7-inch display with 2.5D damage-resistant Gorilla Glass 4, and provides a pixel density of 515 ppi (pixels-per-inch). The Note 4 comes in two variants, one powered by a 2.7 GHz quad-core Snapdragon 805 chipset with Adreno 420 GPU, the other powered by Samsung’s ARMv8-A Exynos 7 Octa SoC with two clusters of four cores; four Cortex-A57 cores at 1.9 GHz, and four Cortex-A53 cores at 1.3 GHz, which is the same processor cluster sold for the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 in markets that mostly use or only have 3G (Such as HSUPA and HSPA), and/or '2G', such as unaltered GSM and CDMA networks, similar to how the Galaxy Note 3 is sold. The phone has metal edges with a plastic, faux leather back. The China model is TD-LTE and TD-SCDMA Plus Network.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_Note_4

I installed "Droid hardwhere info" (as suggested at link) and it says that my CPU Architecture is, "ARMv7-A", so I think it makes sense to try an ARM version of puppylinux. I know that there has been a lot of work in porting Fatdog64 to ARM.

However, the puppylinux wiki tells me that there is an Archlinux/ARM version of puppylinux.
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppiArch

I've heard good things about Arch and it would be fun to try something different. Although the wiki-page says that is for rasberri pi so I don't know how it works on other Arm platforms.

I Know that Berry also has a quirky version of ARM but it is my understanding that this doesn't use the layered file system. As a consequence I don't know if it will have the same kind of protection against memory wear as distribution with a typical puppylinux style layered fie system.

I'm open to suggestions about which version to try or even which versions you would prefer trying under such an environment.

mikeslr

Post Subject

#2 Post by mikeslr »

Hi s243a,

I think you may have gotten ahead of yourself. As far as I've been able to tell, while Linux Deploy supports "Debian, Ubuntu, Kali Linux, Arch Linux, Fedora, CentOS, Gentoo, openSUSE, Slackware, RootFS (tgz, tbz2, txz)" the images of each supported are custom built to run under Linux Deploy. In other words, after you install the Linux Deploy "frame-work" it offers you a choice --their choice-- of images.

See for example the instructions here for installing "Debian", https://github.com/meefik/linuxdeploy/w ... ing-Debian:

"When you first open Linux Deploy you'll be presented with the 'Profiles' screen. You can have multiple versions of linux installed if you want to, though you can only run one at a time. Press the plus button on the toolbar, call your deploy 'Debian', and press OK...

Once you're happy with everything, scroll to the top of the list and press 'Install'. Linux Deploy will now start downloading the distribution and installing it. Once it's finished the last line will read '<<< end: install'." Emphasis added.

But, even if it is possible to select whatever distribution and version you want, it's probably a good idea to first install one of images one of the versions Linux Deploy directly offers, and examine how Linux Deploy manages to handle interfacing the Linux OS with Android & the architecture of the device.

I have both an Lg Gpad 7 and an Lg Gpad 8, the latter specifically purchased with the idea of dual-booting Linux and Android on one of the other. I didn't want to risk bricking one if it was the only one I had. I recall trying a couple of apps like Linux Deploy some time ago so my memory is hazy. But as I recall, all limited what images could be used.

Which makes sense. I also considered the possibility of using FatDogArm. You'll find a post or two under my signature on that thread. The main problem with FadDogArm is that in order for it to function on a device it has to have the Firmware and Drivers to interface with hardware --graphics, sound, wifi, 4G, etc.-- provided by that device. Firmware and drives have to be compiled for the device under the kernel used by the operating system: In short, a custom image.

Perhaps a work-around would be some kind of Virtual-ware application, running under Android, which would present the Linux OS as the Graphical User's Interface, but access the Android OS for functions involving hardware. I don't know of any such application unless, of course, that is what Linux Deploy and its alternatives do.

Or, I could be entirely off base. :lol:

Which lead me back to my original thought. Work your way thru Linux Deploy and see how it operates.

mikesLr

s243a

Re: Post Subject

#3 Post by s243a »

mikeslr wrote:Hi s243a,

I think you may have gotten ahead of yourself. As far as I've been able to tell, while Linux Deploy supports "Debian, Ubuntu, Kali Linux, Arch Linux, Fedora, CentOS, Gentoo, openSUSE, Slackware, RootFS (tgz, tbz2, txz)" the images of each supported are custom built to run under Linux Deploy. In other words, after you install the Linux Deploy "frame-work" it offers you a choice --their choice-- of images.

See for example the instructions here for installing "Debian", https://github.com/meefik/linuxdeploy/w ... ing-Debian:

"When you first open Linux Deploy you'll be presented with the 'Profiles' screen. You can have multiple versions of linux installed if you want to, though you can only run one at a time. Press the plus button on the toolbar, call your deploy 'Debian', and press OK...

Once you're happy with everything, scroll to the top of the list and press 'Install'. Linux Deploy will now start downloading the distribution and installing it. Once it's finished the last line will read '<<< end: install'." Emphasis added.

But, even if it is possible to select whatever distribution and version you want, it's probably a good idea to first install one of images one of the versions Linux Deploy directly offers, and examine how Linux Deploy manages to handle interfacing the Linux OS with Android & the architecture of the device.

I have both an Lg Gpad 7 and an Lg Gpad 8, the latter specifically purchased with the idea of dual-booting Linux and Android on one of the other. I didn't want to risk bricking one if it was the only one I had. I recall trying a couple of apps like Linux Deploy some time ago so my memory is hazy. But as I recall, all limited what images could be used.

Which makes sense. I also considered the possibility of using FatDogArm. You'll find a post or two under my signature on that thread. The main problem with FadDogArm is that in order for it to function on a device it has to have the Firmware and Drivers to interface with hardware --graphics, sound, wifi, 4G, etc.-- provided by that device. Firmware and drives have to be compiled for the device under the kernel used by the operating system: In short, a custom image.

Perhaps a work-around would be some kind of Virtual-ware application, running under Android, which would present the Linux OS as the Graphical User's Interface, but access the Android OS for functions involving hardware. I don't know of any such application unless, of course, that is what Linux Deploy and its alternatives do.

Or, I could be entirely off base. :lol:

Which lead me back to my original thought. Work your way thru Linux Deploy and see how it operates.

mikesLr
Maybe I'll give Kali Linux a try then, although arch and gento are also calling my name. I think though that someone should try to develop a puppy for linux deploy. It is an open source project so in theory we can modify it as needed.

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

While not for me, this appeared interesting enough to throw in >> Convert an Android device to Linux
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

disciple

#5 Post by disciple »

You might want to look at Gnuroot in the Android store, too. It doesn't require rooting.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

s243a

#6 Post by s243a »

disciple wrote:You might want to look at Gnuroot in the Android store, too. It doesn't require rooting.
I already rooted my note 4. It is my old phine so I'm as not worried about bricking. If I like linux on android though I could try Gnuroot as you suggest or KBOX.

mikeslr

Post Subject - back to the original question

#7 Post by mikeslr »

Hi s243a,

I read the webpage semme provided the link to. I sort-of recall reading it before. But this time I paid attention and noted that Linux Deploy:

"By default, Linux Deploy uses a mirror based in Russia, but you can specify a mirror closer to you by editing the Mirror URL setting. If you are installing Debian, you can find a list of mirrors online. Pick the mirror closest to you and enter its URL as follows..."

So, it may be possible to use other than the recommended Linux versions, for example some Puppy.

And perhaps "a" VNC client which Linux Deploy says must be installed provides a work-around avoiding the firmware-driver problem I mentioned. But at this point, my head hurts. :oops:

It still, however, seems prudent to start with something which is supposed to work before trying to explore unknowns.

[The article also mentions "Limbo PC Emulator provides yet another way to run Linux on an Android device. This little app is a port of the popular Qemu emulator, and it allows you to run a handful of lightweight Linux distributions".

It then stresses "lightweight", emulating a PC and the combination being sluggish. At any rate, It seems I was off-base even regarding the absence of virtual-ware].

mikesLr

s243a

#8 Post by s243a »

I have an issue with Linux deploy on the Note 4. The note 4 doesn't support loop device. Loop device is needed because you connect to linux deploy via VNC or SSH at the local host ip address. I've read that you can fix this by flashing a custom ROM but I don't know if that means that I will loose all my aps and google play.

Need to research more.