Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 18 Dec 2014, 23:31
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
Printing in Puppy: cups-install-v0.3.pup (with Gutenprint)
Moderators: deshlab, Flash, GuestToo, Ian, JohnMurga, Lobster
Page 1 of 3 [39 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
pakt

PostPosted: Tue 05 Dec 2006, 11:04    Post subject:  Printing in Puppy: cups-install-v0.3.pup (with Gutenprint)
Subject description: New CUPS printer installation dotpup for Puppy 1.xx/2.xx

This the latest CUPS dotpup, replacing cups-install-v0.2r1.pup (for tips and more info, see the old thread http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=82462#82462 )

Mark (MU) has kindly hosted the dotpup here: http://puppyfiles.org/dotpupsde/dotpups/Printing/cups-install-v0.3.pup

I have replaced gimp-print with the latest Slackware 11.0 testing version of gutenprint (gutenprint-5.0.0-i486-2.tgz).

This gives a welcome increase of printer drivers from 234 to 745.

The downside is that the dotpup in now several MB larger (19MB Sad).

I have also modified some settings in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf from suggestions by forum member OverDrive. The main change reduces the size of MaxLogSize from 200MB to a more reasonable 1MB.

Note: There is no uninstall feature in this dotpup. If you just want to test the dotpup without making any permanent changes, make sure you backup your pup001 or pup_save.3fs file before running it (might be a good idea to do the backup anyway Wink)

Please report any problems or suggestions to the forum Smile

Paul

Last edited by pakt on Fri 11 May 2007, 02:43; edited 3 times in total
MU

PostPosted: Tue 05 Dec 2006, 11:24    Post subject:  

http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Printing/cups-install-v0.3.pup
I'll leave the old one online.

Mark
pakt

PostPosted: Tue 05 Dec 2006, 14:36    Post subject:  

Thanks, Mark. I've updated the first post with the new link.

Smile
Paul

gamfa

PostPosted: Tue 05 Dec 2006, 21:04    Post subject:  

I'll download it before bedtime and try it on a 2.12 type 2 install...

Edit..

OOOONNNN second thought, I see it's 18mb. I'll get it overnight w/d4x and try it Wed. night.

"I don't let my schooling get in the way of my education"...Mark Twain
peppyy

PostPosted: Wed 06 Dec 2006, 00:18    Post subject:  

Works fine on 2.0.1 live, no save file, with networked canon i560 but did not detect it automatically like the last version did. That was however on a wired network connection ant this test was on wireless.

I will keep a copy of both on my favorite dod-pups CD and find a list of the additional drivers on the second version. Looks like there are more brands of printers available on this one.

Looking good Very Happy

craftybytes

PostPosted: Wed 06 Dec 2006, 00:51    Post subject: RE: cups-install-v0.3.pup (with Gutenprint)  

Hi pakt,

[quote]-illuminated by pakt - in his post yesterday.....
I have replaced gimp-print with the latest Slackware 11.0 testing version of gutenprint (gutenprint-5.0.0-i486-2.tgz).

This gives a welcome increase of printer drivers from 234 to 745.

The downside is that the dotpup in now several MB larger (19MB ).

[/quote]

Quick question:- the printer drivers in gutenprint - are they in brand name listings - ie.. Canon, HP, Lexmark, Epson, etc..etc.. Question

If so .. maybe you could reduce the size of the main dotpup by pulling out all the printer drivers into separate & smaller 'brand specific' drivers only dotpups AND modify the main dotpup to ask the user for 'brand & model' of printer he/she would like to have drivers downloaded for and have the main dotpup instigate the download and installing of the 'nominated' driver dotpup AFTER it has completed it's own install and setup.. Rolling Eyes

This would perceivably reduce the main dotpup to a smaller size thus allowing us puppyites who only have 56k dialup internet access be able to keep our download limits down to more manageable amounts.. Razz .. we won't have to spend a few hours downloading it if it be much smaller... Rolling Eyes

Just a thought anyways... Idea

3 x boot:- ASROCK VIA 'all-in-one' m/b; AMD Duron 1.8Ghz+; 1.0GB RAM; 20GB hdd (WinXP Pro); 80GB hdd (MEPIS 3.4-3/Puppy v2.15CE Frugal); 1GB USB pendrive (Puppy 2.15CE Frugal); CD/DVDRW; 17" LCD monitor; HSF 56k modem... MEPIS is great.. Puppy ROCKS..
klhrevolutionist

PostPosted: Wed 06 Dec 2006, 01:04    Post subject:  

A very good project indeed !

A great how-to which is inspired from the leader of this project can be found at the following link.

http://www.greenvilleroad.com/PuppyGuide-1.html?PrinterSupport

pakt

PostPosted: Wed 06 Dec 2006, 16:23    Post subject: Re: RE: cups-install-v0.3.pup (with Gutenprint)  

craftybytes wrote:

Quick question:- the printer drivers in gutenprint - are they in brand name listings - ie.. Canon, HP, Lexmark, Epson, etc..etc.. Question

If so .. maybe you could reduce the size of the main dotpup by pulling out all the printer drivers into separate & smaller 'brand specific' drivers only dotpups AND modify the main dotpup to ask the user for 'brand & model' of printer he/she would like to have drivers downloaded for and have the main dotpup instigate the download and installing of the 'nominated' driver dotpup AFTER it has completed it's own install and setup.. Rolling Eyes

This would perceivably reduce the main dotpup to a smaller size thus allowing us puppyites who only have 56k dialup internet access be able to keep our download limits down to more manageable amounts.. Razz .. we won't have to spend a few hours downloading it if it be much smaller... Rolling Eyes

Yes, I agree - the size is the problem Sad

I'm sure the package can be cut down quite a lot and the idea of making dotpups per printer brand might work. I haven't looked that closely at the files yet.

I would like to try to reduce the size of the package and maybe divide it up, but Barry has said that he wants to redo the whole printing system in Puppy, so I'm reluctant to do a lot of unnecessary work.

Paul

pakt

PostPosted: Wed 06 Dec 2006, 17:01    Post subject:  

klhrevolutionist, thanks for providing a link to the printing how-to. Smile

Paul

ecomoney

PostPosted: Thu 01 Feb 2007, 19:07    Post subject: Adding a printer not listed  

Hi weve been donated an old Deskjet 710c with massive print cartridges for the cybercafe Very Happy. Weve downloaded a ppd from here. How would I add it to the list of printers this can work with? Were using a networked environment with a smoothwall server linked via static ip to a netgear dual print server (lpd protocol).

Thanks in Advance

Sorry, my server is down atm!
amadeus

PostPosted: Fri 02 Feb 2007, 04:46    Post subject: Brother- printer and puppylinux  

My printer Brother MFC-210C has got a CUPS-driver for Ubuntu and a script made by Bob Songs. I am trying to install Puppylinux 2.02 (swedish) or 2.12 english. Does someone know anything about Brother MFC210C and Puppylinux?
pakt

PostPosted: Fri 02 Feb 2007, 04:50    Post subject: Re: Adding a printer not listed  

ecomoney wrote:
Hi weve been donated an old Deskjet 710c with massive print cartridges for the cybercafe Very Happy. Weve downloaded a ppd from here. How would I add it to the list of printers this can work with? Were using a networked environment with a smoothwall server linked via static ip to a netgear dual print server (lpd protocol).

Just copy the .ppd file to /root, run the CUPS dotpup and the the installation program will find the .ppd, test it for correct syntax and install it for you.

Let me know if you need more help.

Paul

pakt

PostPosted: Fri 02 Feb 2007, 04:59    Post subject: Re: Brother- printer and puppylinux  

amadeus wrote:
My printer Brother MFC-210C has got a CUPS-driver for Ubuntu and a script made by Bob Songs. I am trying to install Puppylinux 2.02 (swedish) or 2.12 english. Does someone know anything about Brother MFC210C and Puppylinux?

You could try the Puppy Printer Wizard (in the menu) to see if it is included, otherwise the only info I can find is from this page: http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Brother-MFC-210C
Brother has their own driver that you can download.

Paul

jason.b.c

PostPosted: Fri 02 Feb 2007, 05:17    Post subject:    

Now , Can this one actually be installed Without the internet active...??? Or in a system that dosen't have internet ( like mine )..

I don't have the internet in my puppy system , So what do i do...?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger 
pakt

PostPosted: Fri 02 Feb 2007, 06:05    Post subject:  

jason.b.c wrote:
Now , Can this one actually be installed Without the internet active...??? Or in a system that dosen't have internet ( like mine )..

Yes, that's one reason I made the dotpup in the first place. I hate scripts that require you to fetch files from the internet.

Just download the CUPS dotpup and copy it (using a USB stick or CD) to the PC without networking. Then just run the dotpup - it contains the whole CUPS and printer setup Smile

Paul

Page 1 of 3 [39 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Unsorted
Jump to: