Scanning with Brother PrinterMFC-L2700DW

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
comcoco

Scanning with Brother PrinterMFC-L2700DW

#1 Post by comcoco »

I am using Puppy Tahr 6.0.2 with Brother Printer MCFC-L2700DW. It worked as a copy machine out of the box. It is working as a printer which I set up using information from this forum. I am pleased.

I would like to use it as a scanner to scan an image to a file on the computer. It is connected via a USB cable so it is a local printer. It seems logical to me that if I can get it print using this connection I also should be able to scan an image to a pdf file on the computer. II can not figure out how to get it do this. I have installed xsane but it does not recognize anything as a scanner. I have run the programs:

brscan4-0.4.3-3.amd64.deb

and

brscan-skey-0.2.4-1.amd64.deb

with debbi.

I can not follow the directions on the forum because I can not find an IP address, probably because it is a local printer. I tried 0.0.0.0 and 192.168..0.0 without success. Can someone help, please.

comcoco

Scanning with Brother Printer MFC-L2700DW

#2 Post by comcoco »

2/17/17

I am still trying to do this without success. I have made a discovery. I set up xubuntu on this same computer with the same USB connection to the Brother Printer. I have been able to scan perfectly with it. This is encouraging to me. It shows that the hardware can work on Linux.

How can I duplicate this success on Puppy Tahr on this same computer and connection to the printer? Is there some way to identify and use the drivers or programs in xubuntu on Puppy Tahr? Unfortunately I can not reconstruct exactly what I did to get the success with xubuntu, but I think I just followed the instructions and used the programs from the Brother Solutions website. I have tried to follow them several times on Puppy Tahr without success.

I would appreciate any help or ideas.

Peter

fr33land

Re: Scanning with Brother PrinterMFC-L2700DW

#3 Post by fr33land »

comcoco wrote:I am using Puppy Tahr 6.0.2 with Brother Printer MCFC-L2700DW ... brscan4-0.4.3-3.amd64.deb and
brscan-skey-0.2.4-1.amd64.deb with debbi.
Tahr 602 is 32bit. You are installing 64bit drivers. The appropriate 32bit driver for your MFC-L2700DW is here

http://support.brother.com/g/b/download ... _as&os=128

Also, if you are connected by USB, there is no reason to be following the instructions for a networked scanner.

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

How to Install Your Printer/Scanner in Puppy
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59015
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

comcoco

Scanning with Brother Printer MFC-L2700DW

#5 Post by comcoco »

Thank you for the help. I am delighted with the results. I followed the instructions using the proper driver and everything went smoothly. I can now both print and scan.

I might suggest that the small program called "simple-scan" is easier to use than either x scan or peasyscan if all you want to do is scan a page or so. All you have to do is touch no button on the Brother machine. Place the page you want to scan either on the glass plate or in the tray feeder. Go to your computer and run simple-scan. It takes a few seconds to think, and give you the choice of scanning. It then just does it, and lets you save or alter the scanned page.

I installed simple-scan from PPM, but I had to update the repositories before it would install.

Thanks again!!