How to upgrade multisession from 2.12 to 2.13?

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
don

How to upgrade multisession from 2.12 to 2.13?

#1 Post by don »

I have been using Puppy 2.12 in multisession mode and have it set up with my favorrite apps and login options.

How do I upgrade to version2.13 without losing all my customization?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

What I do is, burn a new multisession DVD with the new iso, then click the "save" icon on the desktop. That transfers all my settings to the new DVD.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

iang

#3 Post by iang »

I upgrade by burning the new iso on blank CD-R (ensure you burn it as multisession). Boot up on your current version, swap the CDs over, then shut down. Puppy recognises you have an upgraded version and will automatically transfer your settings when it saves.

Ignore error messages as the script is a bit buggy. It keeps ejecting the CD & telling you not to close the tray. Ignore it; close the tray, press enter & carry on - it does work!

Unfortunately it gives the impression it's not working at first so it requires a leap of faith to keep going. Then it's easy. I haven't tried with DVDs.

don

#4 Post by don »

Thanks. Works perfectly.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

Which one did you use? :?

don

#6 Post by don »

I used Flash's method, then out of curiosity I burned another disk from the iso and tried iang's. After some confusion, it worked, but Flash's is more straight forward.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

Thanks, don. Both methods work. I prefer using "Save" instead of shutting down because it allows a better chance to recover without losing anything if something goes wrong.

If the multisession DVD or CD you're using gets full, you can start a new one by burning a multisession DVD with the same iso, then either "Saving" or shutting down.

If you are using a rewritable DVD, you can upgrade to a new iso by booting the DVD, burning the new iso to that same DVD with burniso2cd, then "saving" your settings.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]