libcurl-gnutls.so.4 to run Netsurf 3.0

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
keniv

libcurl-gnutls.so.4 to run Netsurf 3.0

#1 Post by keniv »

I'm trying to run netsurf_lucid-3.0.pet in 412 lite. It shows libcurl-gnutls.so.4 as a missing dependency. I have tried to find this but have had no luck. Could some more knowledgable person point me in the right direction as to where I can get this file. If not does anybody know off a version of Netsurf(3.0 or greater) that would work in 412 lite without this file.

Regards,

Ken.

ally

#2 Post by ally »

this version comes from the '412collection'

https://sourceforge.net/projects/old412 ... z/download

hth

:)

keniv

#3 Post by keniv »

Hello Ally,
Thanks for the reply. I've tried the version you linked to but have found it a bit prone to crashing. I thought a later version might be a bit more stable. As the one I'm trying to use is a lucid pet I tried looking for the file in the latest lucid using pfind. I was surprised not to find it.

Regards,

Ken.

ally

#4 Post by ally »

the following is from my libs repo on the archive

no idea if it will be correct:

http://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linux ... 0.0.tar.gz

OscarTalks

#5 Post by OscarTalks »

Well libcurl-gnutls.so.4 is part of the curl package. You could probably compile it from source. It may be that you would need to have gnutls already installed at build time, not sure.

However I wouldn't expect a Netsurf compiled in Lucid to run in Puppy 412 anyway. Even if you install that library I reckon others in 412 would be too old.

Latest Netsurf release is 3.6 and I tried compiling it in several Puppies. In Wheezy or anything later it is fine, but in Lucid and Wary although it builds to completion it looks a bit odd when you run it. The letters in web pages are squashed against each other. Not sure if this is because of the older glib version or something else. Anyway the point is that with older Puppies you will probably only be able to use older versions of Netsurf and experimenting with this could prove time-consuming.
Oscar in England

keniv

#6 Post by keniv »

@Ally
Thanks for the link. I'll download and try it and report how I get on.

@OscarTalks
Yes I take your point about only being able to run older versions of netsurf on 412 but the one on the 412 site (I think it's 2.6) is a bit flaky. I'm trying to get a small fast browser that works. Netsurf did look quite promising. I also use qtweb but it too has it's problems. I'll try Ally's link and see if I can get somewhere with that.
Thanks for the help.

Ken.

keniv

#7 Post by keniv »

http://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linux ... 0.0.tar.gz

I downloaded and extracted the above but the file I'm looking for is not there. I'm not sure if I should expect it to be there.
I downloaded netsurf-gtk_3.2+dsfg-3.deb and installed it in the recently updated lucid 5287 s2, which I also use, to see if it would work in lucid. It is missing the following libraries, libmozjs185.so.1.0 and libpng16.so.16 and so I seem to be in a similar position as I am with 412. I don't know where to go from here.

Ken.

ally

#8 Post by ally »

what about dillo?

keniv

#9 Post by keniv »

@Ally
what about dillo?
I've tried it in the past. Very fast but a bit awkward to use. I've found why I've had some problems with netsurf 2.6 which does run on 412. I could not find a way of bookmarking a site or bringing up a bookmarks list. I've found you have to customize the toolbar. This is hampered by the fact that the theme that comes with it does not contain icons for bookmarking or bookmarks list so can't be shown on the toolbar. I have tried downloading other themes but these are for higher versions of netsurf and do not appear to install. I will do a bit more fiddling in the hope I can get round this.

Ken.