How to kill jackdbus? (not solved yet)

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
LazY Puppy

How to kill jackdbus? (not solved yet)

#1 Post by LazY Puppy »

Hi.

When Puppy is booted and running I find dbus-launch in the list of running processes (e.g.: in pprocess).

I'm loading a JACK sfs module to a top layer to run qjackctl.
The jackdbus seems to be auto-started by dbus then.
When qjackctl is exited, jackdbus is still running.
Can't kill jackdbus by script before killing dbus-launch - though kill jackdbus works from within taskmanagers.
When restarting dbus-launch it appears as dbus-daemon (so, there's two of them) in the list of running processes - not as dbus-launch.

So, how to kill jackdbus without to kill dbus-launch first?

or

How to restart dbus-launch like it is executed at boot up?

Thanks.
Last edited by LazY Puppy on Wed 25 Jan 2017, 22:15, edited 3 times in total.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

LazY Puppy

Found a proper solution - it seems

#2 Post by LazY Puppy »

Edit: it's just crap, sorry.

Ok,

The solution that I seemed to found is: /etc/init.d/messagebus, as it provides functions to start, stop, restart and reload dbus (system message bus).

The problem was: the SFS Module loaded to a top layer couldn't unload as long as jackdbus is running. Killing dbus-launch kills jackdbus but also e.g. Pale Moon Browser.

Script /etc/init.d/messagebus seems to be capable to let jackdbus being killed without killing Pale Moon Browser as well.

So, I'm just using the short code to unload that SFS mounted to a top layer:

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/messagebus stop
JDB="`pidof jackdbus`"; sleep .2; kill $JDB; sleep .2;
[ -d /initrd/"$LP5QJACKCTLSFS" ] && sfs_load_top_layer --unload --cli --quiet --skip-fixmenus "$APPDIR/Modules/$LP5QJACKCTLSFS"
/etc/init.d/messagebus start
So far, so good. 8)

Now I need to find out how stable this solution will remain... :arrow:
Last edited by LazY Puppy on Wed 25 Jan 2017, 22:18, edited 1 time in total.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

LazY Puppy

Above 'solution' is crap

#3 Post by LazY Puppy »

Aarrgghhhh...

The above 'solution' IS crap!

Seems I'd made some mistakes while testing.

After rebooting at first try the sfs was successfully unmounted, though Pale Moon Browser was killed also. :roll:
RSH

jamesbond

#4 Post by jamesbond »

Is jackdbus needed for the rest of the apps to run? If not, then perhaps you can stop jackdbus from running in the first place. Look in /usr/share/dbus-1/services and /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services and see if there is something that refers to jackdbus.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

LazY Puppy

#5 Post by LazY Puppy »

It seems to be needed for qjackctl to communicate with programs like Audio System (plus probably the DSSI Synths and) Rosegarden etc.

I found some information about dbus, that said (if I understood correct) it's a system task to let communicate programs. E.g.: Pale Moon Browser complains the missing dbus-daemon and states not all of my settings and/or its functions will work.

The dbus-daemon is executed when logged into the system, so I though of some weird hack to solve this:

- just to kill dbus-daemon and dbus-launch
- re-log in as user root in background

Probably dbus-daemon and dbus-launch will relaunch properly?

Is there any chance to log in as different user and reverse in background, so no need to restart X?
RSH