Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 22 Nov 2019, 22:57
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Fatdog64-710 Final [4 Dec 2016]
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 14 of 44 [646 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, ..., 42, 43, 44 Next
TeX Dog

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jan 2017, 13:13    Post subject:  

thanks pkg2repo that is the key name to make fffffffffatdogggggggggggg builder useful to me. please xplain. sorry for kyboard errords really eed you n BK get blutooth on this raspipi=3n oking
jamesbond

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jan 2017, 14:48    Post subject:  

pkg2repo is the name I gave to the script I found here: https://software.jaos.org/git/slapt-get/plain/FAQ.html#slgFAQ17
TeX Dog

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jan 2017, 15:35    Post subject:  

This should be added to that builder thread, and a blurb on proper way to add repo, and build list, both local and on-line so we can share. The builder is faster than re-master and has a whole lot less side effects and the topics of making Fatdog smaller is not really as popular as that thread would imply. Its the only thing we, not original script builders, tinker types have figured out.
Also diff and patches to existing text scripts within existing repo packages. Would like my own fixes to multisession not be a addon after a generation of a ISO using builder tools.
(currently on a computer with hardwired keyboard, still haven't solved why that USB combo wireless keyboard is so flaky with BKs current releases, RPi3 is the worse, but others suffer as well)
step

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan 2017, 09:13    Post subject:  

@drunkjedi, package feh-2.18 dependency info is fixed now. gslapt can install the package from the official repo. Thanks for alerting me to the problems.
prehistoric

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan 2017, 20:32    Post subject: Nvidia legacy driver 304.xxx in Fatdog 710  

Here's a link to the nvidia driver topic where I've posted my solution to problems with nouveau on Fatdog 710 on an old machine that cannot use the latest nvidia drivers. The .run script has been uploaded to smokey01's site.

It requires the Fatdog 710 devx.sfs and the kernel source for 4.4.35, and a fair amount of RAM to compile in. I have not isolated the files besides the kernel module which need to be modified to make this a simple package install instead of a compile-install script.

You will need to append "blacklist=nouveau" to the kernel line in your bootloader menu to avoid a conflict caused by the initrd trying to load it even though other configuration files you have modified blacklist it. This is easier than rebuilding the initrd.
jamesbond

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jan 2017, 01:53    Post subject:  

Thanks prehistoric.

prehistoric wrote:
You will need to append "blacklist=nouveau" to the kernel line in your bootloader menu to avoid a conflict ...
Alternative and permanent way of doing this is to create file called /etc/modprobe.d/no-nouveau.conf (the filename can be anything as long as it ends with ".conf") containing the line "blacklist nouveau".
jamesbond

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jan 2017, 03:10    Post subject:  

TeX Dog wrote:
This should be added to that builder thread, and a blurb on proper way to add repo, and build list, both local and on-line so we can share.

Yes, good idea.

Quote:
The builder is faster than re-master and has a whole lot less side effects and the topics of making Fatdog smaller is not really as popular as that thread would imply. Its the only thing we, not original script builders, tinker types have figured out.

Ah, so you tried. Where's your feedback Smile

Quote:
Also diff and patches to existing text scripts within existing repo packages. Would like my own fixes to multisession not be a addon after a generation of a ISO using builder tools.
Not sure what you mean by this. The build recipe of every packages is in /usr/src/pkgbuild/pkg, including any patches. You need to load devx, but for any random package you can get it off the ibiblio's repo and open the tarball to get that.

PS: The multisession patch - I saw your patch, it won't work correctly depending on how you setup things. That being said, I fail to understand what the patch is supposed to fix. I see that you're replacing the insert-disc-reminder prompt with actual multisession save command. Why is that needed? The insert-disc-reminder is run while Xorg is still running, and even if that fails, the rest of the multisession save will still continue. Where is the point of failure?

prehistoric

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jan 2017, 10:25    Post subject:  

jamesbond wrote:
Thanks prehistoric.

prehistoric wrote:
You will need to append "blacklist=nouveau" to the kernel line in your bootloader menu to avoid a conflict ...
Alternative and permanent way of doing this is to create file called /etc/modprobe.d/no-nouveau.conf (the filename can be anything as long as it ends with ".conf") containing the line "blacklist nouveau".

Incidentally, the message "Loading nouveau early" still appears during boot up when the module is blacklisted. I now know this does not actually cause the module to load when the OS has a working nvidia kernel module. This is what caused me to edit the kernel line used by the boot manager, something I already understood how to do.

Strange observation: on this old machine running with the custom nvidia module seems noticeably more responsive than nouveau. I found this hard to believe when I'm running a dual-core machine with each 2.6 GHz core capable of retiring about 5 billion instructions per second. Just how much is nouveau doing in software?

I'm not even sure how to benchmark the difference. What I'm looking for is worst-case latency in response to user actions, not mean throughput.
jamesbond

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan 2017, 13:35    Post subject:  

prehistoric wrote:
Incidentally, the message "Loading nouveau early" still appears during boot up when the module is blacklisted. I now know this does not actually cause the module to load when the OS has a working nvidia kernel module.
Indeed. The message will still be shown, but if you blacklist the nouveau module (either with blacklist=nouveau boot parameter, or by creating the file in /etc/modprobe.d --- actually they are identical, since blacklist=xxx works by creating a file in /etc/modprobe.d), it won't be loaded.

These drivers are loaded early because back on kernel 3.7/3.8 we found out that if they aren't loaded when Xorg was starting up, the machine could lock up. Things may have changed since then but the early loading workaround doesn't do any harm so it stays.

Quote:
Strange observation: on this old machine running with the custom nvidia module seems noticeably more responsive than nouveau. I found this hard to believe when I'm running a dual-core machine with each 2.6 GHz core capable of retiring about 5 billion instructions per second. Just how much is nouveau doing in software?

I'm not even sure how to benchmark the difference. What I'm looking for is worst-case latency in response to user actions, not mean throughput.
I wouldn't know how to comment. nouveau is a reverse-engineered driver and there are a lot of guesswork that goes into making it. That being said, testing for worst-case latency is difficult. If you want to test for average latency difference between running nouveau and nvidia, that can easily be done.
step

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jan 2017, 02:48    Post subject:
Subject description: Fatdog64 splash image for Grub4Dos

Fatdog64 splash image for Grub4Dos boot manager - if you use Grub4Dos

Download, uncompress, and copy the xpm file to the top of your boot drive, where file menu.lst is located. Add this line to menu.lst
Code:

splashimage=/fatdog.xpm
fatdog.xpm.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  fatdog.xpm.gz 
Filesize  10.06 KB 
Downloaded  231 Time(s) 

dr. Dan

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jan 2017, 23:10    Post subject:  

smokey01 wrote:
@eowens2

The easiest way is to go to the web site and click on Free Download.
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

Extract the file thunderbird-45.5.1.tar.bz2 somewhere outside of your savefile if you use one. If you use a save directory with plenty of space, extract it there.

Inside the thunderbird directory that has just been created, drag and drop the thunderbird binary to your desktop.

If you want to integrate it into your menu system, create a desktop file and a launcher script.

Cheers

Hi, Smokey01, or whoever. I would appreciate some additional knowlege about using programs from outside the repos. Can I use the above described method for most any program, or are there limitations I ought to know about ahead of time? Does this method lead to duplication of dependencies, or will existing components be found? Is the "deb2txz" script a potentially cleaner method? What is required of a desktop file? I can modify an existing one well enough, minus most of the language details.
Fatdog64 is so nice, but it doesn't have gnucash, which I have used for years, and (so far as I can tell) there is no music management program (VLC is a decent player of most any media, but it has limitations).
Thanks for any input.
BTW, Sage, most of the above would apply to Claws. What is your concern with Mozilla?
Dan
smokey01

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan 2017, 04:02    Post subject:  

dr. Dan wrote:

Hi, Smokey01, or whoever. I would appreciate some additional knowlege about using programs from outside the repos. Can I use the above described method for most any program, or are there limitations I ought to know about ahead of time? Does this method lead to duplication of dependencies, or will existing components be found? Is the "deb2txz" script a potentially cleaner method? What is required of a desktop file? I can modify an existing one well enough, minus most of the language details.

So many questions, so little time Laughing
I will leave the questions above to someone else, for the time being anyway.
dr. Dan wrote:
Fatdog64 is so nice, but it doesn't have gnucash, which I have used for years, and (so far as I can tell) there is no music management program (VLC is a decent player of most any media, but it has limitations).

I have compiled gnucash for you. It's not the absolute latest but it is quite recent, 2.6.13. It does require a lot of additional weight regarding dependencies. To make it work I needed to compile:
guile
libofx
OpenSP, and
gnucash

Some of the other dependencies were already compiled and in the main repository, they were:
goffice,
libgnomecanvas (installed by default)
libwebkitgtk,
libxml++,
libgsf,
gtk2, and of course a bucket load of dependencies required by libwebkitgtk.

Anyway you need to add my repository to Gslapt.
Click on Edit > Preferences > Sources
Click the +Add Button
Paste this url into source: http://smokey01.com/fd710/packages/
Then click OK.

It should tell you the Repositories changed, click the Yes button.

Now you should be able to search for gnucash and it will be found on my site. Right click on it and choose install and follow the prompts.

It will download and install everything it needs.

What do you call a decent music management program? I use vlc for all of my needs but yours may be greater.

You can't say us Fatdogians aren't helpful.

Enjoy.

smokey01

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan 2017, 17:47    Post subject:  

Another nice Personal Finance Manager is Homebank.

It's in my Repo. It's not the latest version as it need gtk3.

dr. Dan

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan 2017, 21:28    Post subject:  

Thank you! I have been reading and learning here for nearly 2 years, and would never say something so ridiculous! This is amazing volunteerism, and seems quite sucessful. I have gathered along the way much understanding, including that there are some highly capable people making things happen.

I figured GNUCash would be heavy, but it'll be fine for my machine. The repository instructions were simple, and another concept I knew nothing about.

I'd still welcome more answers, and I think I can't be the only one who doesn't know but should.

Enjoying!
jake29

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan 2017, 08:43    Post subject: AMDGPU-PRO 16.60  

Info: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDGPU-PRO-Driver-for-Linux-Release-Notes.aspx

The number of graphics cards this driver supports has been recently expanded (now including my own) and I would like to compile it, however I do not see any version listed on https://www.x.org/releases/individual/driver.

Can anyone suggest if it's possible to make this driver work with FD64-710?
Page 14 of 44 [646 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, ..., 42, 43, 44 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: