DebianDog-Stretch with Deepin DE [CLOSED]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
fredx181

DebianDog-Stretch with Deepin DE [CLOSED]

#1 Post by fredx181 »

Discontinued, see here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 694#946694

Edit: The thread that the above link points to doesn't exist anymore.
Short version of the story:
Using the name "DebianDog" (by me) caused so much trouble in general (and got me personally in such a stressful situation), that I finally gave up developing any further using that name.

EDIT 2017-10-14: ISO updated, download links below replaced, see also here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 904#970904

*** Debiandog-Stretch with Deepin DE ***

Much more light than Xenialdog-Deepin which has (memory leak) problems and therefore has been discontinued.

Deepin Website
(Edit: there was a choice for english some time ago, now it seems to be only in chinese language)

Deepin packages taken from Sparkylinux, but some modified a little (less dependencies)
The Deepin DE included here (version 15.3) is very basic, no extras, such as deepin filemanager, terminal, music etc... are not included.

Kernel: 4.7.0-1-686-pae

EDIT: 2017-10-14: Kernel 4.9.0-3-686-pae

Default WM - Deepin (with option JWM, logging in as root, see below)
Default File Manager - Thunar with option to use rox.
Default Internet Browser - Firefox.

Added:
- Quick-remaster (works with porteus-boot only)
- Lightdm Login Manager

Minimum System requirement: 1GB of RAM, recommended 2GB or more.
Main "01-filesystem.squashfs" is compressed XZ
Tip: when installed frugally, use "Convert-SFS" to convert "01-filesystem.squashfs" to GZIP or LZ4, booting and running will be faster then, although filesize will be increased.
And:To disable composite (window effects), press Super+Shift+Tab (toggle composite on/off) (there's also "Toggle WindowEffects" on the desktop and the dock to enable/disable window effects)

Login details:

puppy
with password puppy (default automatic login)
root with password root

Note 1: Login as root into Deepin doesn't work, problems are e.g. very high CPU usage, resulting in freeze of the system. Couldn't find a solution for that problem.
Login as root into JWM works, log in from console (e.g. from vt2) and type startx

Note 2: Default user "puppy" has much extra (admin) permissions, no password needed using sudo or gsu (graphical sudo) for all applications. (this is set in /etc/sudoers: puppy ALL = NOPASSWD: ALL)
Create a new user (use "Add New user" (from Applications menu) ) for a real unprivileged user.

Note 3: The Debian Stretch (testing) repository is set to "static", from debian.snapshot, see more info here (e.g. how to change to regular repository):
https://github.com/DebianDog/Stretch/bl ... /README.md
(scroll a little down for Deepin)

EDIT 2017-10-14: Changed in new ISO to "Stretch", repos from regular 'stable' branch.

There are some launchers for 'Filemanager SuperUser' and 'Terminal SuperUser' on the the Desktop and the bottom bar.

Many thanks to forum member belham2, for his inspiring post Here that made me curious in the first place about the Deepin DE.
And of course, thanks very much to all who were involved with creating DebianDog.

Download (updated 2017-10-14):

ISO 32-bit: https://github.com/DebianDog/Stretch/re ... -10-14.iso Size: 382 MB
Md5sum: https://github.com/DebianDog/Stretch/re ... -10-14.md5

Fred

Screenshots:

Desktop

Move mouse pointer to upper right corner for control-center

Move mouse pointer to upper left corner for applications

Move mouse pointer to bottom left corner for all windows
Last edited by fredx181 on Sun 15 Oct 2017, 08:07, edited 17 times in total.

fredx181

#2 Post by fredx181 »

reserved

ally

#3 Post by ally »

dancytron

#4 Post by dancytron »

I did the typical manual frugal install. Didn't install any drivers.

Everything works. Loading the desktop takes a few seconds. When the compositing is on, it takes about 3% cpu (per Conky) and that's with my G30 Intel obsolete graphics. In use, speed is fine.

Deepin DE is pretty good. I was expecting to hate it, but it grows on you.

Seems totally usable. Great job.

edit again: I used it for a couple of hours and Deepin has a lot going for it, but it needs a few alternate ways to view. Just a list option for the application launcher and control panel would be a big improvement. The animation, hot corners and overlays still seem cool rather than annoying. Runs well on old Intel 1.8 Ghz dual core with G30 obsolete graphics.

I could see deploying Deepin to a bunch of people to use and not have to really train them, which is unusual for linux.

dancytron

#5 Post by dancytron »

Fred said:
Note 2: Default user "puppy" has much extra (admin) permissions, no password needed using sudo or gsu (graphical sudo) for all applications. (this is set in /etc/sudoers: puppy ALL = NOPASSWD: ALL)
Create a new user (use "Add New user" (from Applications menu) ) for a real unprivileged user.
In messing with it, if you just do a few more tiny things it makes the sudo annoyance almost completely go away. Add a sudo leafpad and a sudo browser shortcut to the desktop. Go into the Super User File Manager and set the 5 or 6 right click shortcuts that make sense to sudo versions. Make sure the terminal when invoked from Sudo File Manager is root. Take all the non-sudo versions of applications and segregate them away somewhere on the bottom of the desktop.

While I was messing with the Raspberry Pixel live cd version, it occurred to me you should add a user with the default config for contrast called "pi" and give it an annoying strong password like "Raspberry135@#". Well, maybe not name it "pi".

ARModer64

#6 Post by ARModer64 »

Not bad.. But cpu usage on setting wallpaper kills my notebook.. Its 100% for almost a minute... And 600mb ram usage if you add the cache..

vancheese

Porteus issues

#7 Post by vancheese »

I'm loving debiandog but I'm having a couple of issues with Porteus when trying to boot from a usb stick. The issues result in a non-boot.
Is this the right place to ask these questions and if so, what information is required?

backi

#8 Post by backi »

Going try to give an answer .
Feel free to ask .
Are you using Debian Dog Stretch Deepin or another Dog ?

How looks your boot menu.lst --------and where is your live folder located ?
I know it is on a Usb stick but is it maybe located in a folder ......how is this folder named ?
menu.list will show the path.

vancheese

#9 Post by vancheese »

I'm using debiandog-stretch without deepin. I've just realised I might have badly cross-posted - Sorry
My issue is that a porteus boot stops after search for stretch_i486.sgn, stating the device is not ready. However liveboot works fine. I've installed debiandog using the default installer. I'll post the menu.lst tonight. Is there any documentation about the different between the two systems and which one I should use?

backi

#10 Post by backi »

Hi vansheese !
I used for a while Debian Stretch ....but could not see much advantage over Debin Dog Jessie .....except there was a newer version of Audacious audioplayer
to download (did almost the same as the older Version ).
I would propose you to go with the Debian Dog Jessie .....because Stretch is not that much supported .

Here some links that show some more useful Details .

https://debiandog.github.io/doglinux/
https://github.com/DebianDog/

Here some more detailed advices for Jessie .
https://debiandog.github.io/doglinux/zz ... essie.html

vancheese

#11 Post by vancheese »

Unfortunately, I need a package version which is only available in stretch otherwise, I think I would dropback a version too ...
I've read through the links :) thanks
Is there any more details re porteus v liveboot?

backi

#12 Post by backi »

O.K. vansheese !

Here is how i installed DebianDog Jessie to an Usb-Stick .
Formatted Usb to ext4
set bootflag
Create a new empty folder (for example debdog2....in my case )
extract the new Debian Dog Jesssie
copy the live folder into debdog2 folder on Usb
apply Grub4dos to yourUsb Stick

edit the menu.lst
like i did....this will you allow to boot Jessie without automatic save .....saves only on shutdown or on demand during session with save Folder .
In my opinion ..the best method .

My menue.lst :

title DebianDog jessie new - changes on exit /debdog2/live sysvinit
find --set-root /debdog2/live/vmlinuz1
kernel /debdog2/live/vmlinuz1 from=/debdog2 noauto changes=EXIT:/debdog2/live ramsize=100%
initrd /debdog2/live/initrd1.xz

Here some more boot examples .

https://github.com/DebianDog/Jessie/releases/tag/v2.1/
Here another place to start
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=108535
The same with Deb Dog Stretch.

vancheese

#13 Post by vancheese »

That is awesome - I'll try this tonight before I write back
Thanks

VanCheese :)

backi

#14 Post by backi »

Hi !
Here is another example of my menu.lst (using grub4dos ) for Stretch .

title DDSTRETCH- changes to /DDSTRETCH/live/ sysvinit
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/DDSTRETCH/live/vmlinuz1 from=/DDSTRETCH noauto changes=EXIT:/DDSTRETCH/live/ ramsize=100%
initrd (hd0,0)/DDSTRETCH/live/initrd1.xz

My (from Iso ) extracted (Stretch) live Folder... is copied to a Folder named DDSTRECH on a Usb -Stick .Above my menue.lst.

Should work for you.

To avoid possible trouble with the installer .....i recommend ...doing the manual method.... extracting the Iso and copy the live folder to your Usb-stick.

belham2

#15 Post by belham2 »

vancheese wrote:That is awesome - I'll try this tonight before I write back
Thanks

VanCheese :)

Don't know if this will help you or not, but to support what Backi is telling you and trying to show you, here are my grub4dos menu.lst entries for:

Xeniadog64 on a SD card inside USB-device:

title Xenial64Dog porteus-boot Save-Exit(sda1/Xenial64Dog)
uuid ###########################(put your uuid here)
kernel /Xenial64Dog/casper/vmlinuz from=/Xenial64Dog noauto changes=EXIT:/Xenial64Dog/casper/ net.ifnames=0
initrd /Xenial64Dog/casper/initrd1.xz

title Xenial64Dog Casper-Persistant (sda1/Xenial64Dog)
uuid ###########################(put your uuid here)
kernel /Xenial64Dog/casper/vmlinuz boot=Xenial64Dog/casper try-usb=true showmounts union=aufs persistent
initrd /Xenial64Dog/casper/initrd.lz

Here is one for Debiandog64 live on a separate USB:

title DebianDog - live-boot-3 Persistence Changes sysvinit
uuid ############################(put your uuid here)
kernel /live/vmlinuz1 boot=live persistence config quickreboot noeject autologin
initrd /live/initrd.img

And finally, on another USB (this on an old IDE 180GB external HD), here's DebianDog32 in all its glory (notice the similarities to Backi's :wink: ):

title Debian-Dog32 - Porteus Changes on Live
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/ changes=/live/
initrd (hd0,0)/live/initrd1.xz

title Debian-Dog32 - Porteus Changes on Exit
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/ changes=EXIT:/live/
initrd (hd0,0)/live/initrd1.xz

title Debian-Dog32 - Copy to RAM sysvinit
root (hd0,0)
kernel /live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/ copy2ram
initrd /live/initrd1.xz

title Debian-Dog32 - Copy to RAM changes to USB sysvinit
root (hd0,0)
kernel /live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/ copy2ram changes=EXIT:/live/changes/
initrd /live/initrd1.xz

Hope this helps.

backi

#16 Post by backi »

Hi !

Top service here .......isn`t it? :)

fredx181

#17 Post by fredx181 »

backi wrote:Hi !

Top service here .......isn`t it? :)
Sure it is with you guys on board, thanks!

@vancheese
My issue is that a porteus boot stops after search for stretch_i486.sgn, stating the device is not ready. However liveboot works fine. I've installed debiandog using the default installer.
I just tested the installer booted from ISO here:
https://github.com/DebianDog/Stretch/re ... -11-14.iso

And installing the same ISO to USB-stick worked fine for me.

However when installing with the installer there could arise a problem if you have (another) "live" folder on the root of another partition, it may conflict then.
That's why the advices in previous posts are good, to prevent that.
Put the "live" folder in a unique named folder e.g. DDSTRETCH on the root and adjust menu.lst entry corresponding such as in backi's previous post example:

Code: Select all

title DDSTRETCH- changes to /DDSTRETCH/live/ sysvinit
root (hd0,0)
kernel /DDSTRETCH/live/vmlinuz1 from=/DDSTRETCH noauto changes=EXIT:/DDSTRETCH/live/ ramsize=100%
initrd /DDSTRETCH/live/initrd1.xz 
Fred

trister

#18 Post by trister »

tried it on a 1GB RAM atom netbook and it was very slow -even from the beggining...
debiandog32 was faster even after I have added much apps
Maybe it's the Deepin
-------
Any plans on a 64bit -preferably wihout Deepin?

(edit) : I found this :
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 440#888440

Sorry, it had so many problems fred.

oui

#19 Post by oui »

hi

Deepin is very hard to use!

You don't find some menu :x . Sometimes, you see a full screen menu appearing but it is not clear how to make it appearing :oops: . spontaneous is it not!

You see to much icones :? ... A menu is better than icones on the desktop and an really to heavy bar at the bottom with new icones not beeing apparented with usual ones!

The system seems not to be able, else it comes from far east, to integrate easily other things like input methodes for far east languages :lol: and that is funny really.

In all cases, if I install LXQT over Deepin DE a lot of difficulties are immediately solved...

My main problem: DebianDog-Stretch with Deepin DE offers to much alternatives and you can wonder about the size of the ISO...

How to uninstall build-in alternatives?

I did erase /usr/lib/firefox and only let links in it to the NanoBrowser I will try to use. It works and it is easy to do.

But how to remove the other things beeing twice or more in the system (leafpad, geany and other editors: I will use tea and see a radical Qt-oriented environment. For this reason also NanoBrowser. In other systems (Arch) you can use the most actual version of Qupzilla. Not in Debian or all Debian derivates!). I did find the NanoBrowser-xxx.deb on the webpages of QtWebEngine, not in the Debian depository, and only the 32 bit version is available.

For all this reason, it would be important to have a tools to uninstall the not needing stuff you will never use in live: The ISO is very heavy!

Kind regards

backi

#20 Post by backi »

Hi oui !

My experiences with Deepin were quite similar like yours ........do not feel much comfortable with this Desktop .