Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 25 Sep 2018, 19:04
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Lucid Puppy Revitalized as 5.2.8.7 - Nov., 2017 - Final
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 50 of 70 [1036 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, ..., 68, 69, 70 Next
Walter Dnes

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jan 2017, 04:56    Post subject:  

@rerwin... look what I found. The closed source GMA500 Poulsbo (netbook) video driver is available at multiple locations. The most interesting site is https://launchpad.net/~gma500/+archive/ubuntu/ppa which has a "Choose your Ubuntu version V" dropdown menu. One of the available ppa's is for Ubuntu Lucid Lynx, on which Lucid Puppy is based.

Unlike the linux kernel driver which has only 2D acceleration, this proprietary driver has 3D acceleration. Can you include it in Lucid Puppy, or at least document how an end-user can install it?
sindi

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jan 2017, 14:41    Post subject: USB mouse problem - does it help to disable touchpad?  

synclient TouchPadOff=1 (turn off touchpad; =0 turns it back on).
Does disabling the touchpad make your USB mouse work?
GUI front-end flsynclient requires a mouse to turn the touchpad back on.

I look forward to a Puppy-Linux-compatible Pale Moon 27.1 SSE (and MMX?).

Conkeror-Lucid52.pet from 2010 (in Wary, on 1997 MMX Pentium, with libdbus added) complains of 'illegal instruction'.
It works with SSE probably not with MMX-only.

I usually start Puppies without X. ssh to check email, lynx to browse. X for smtube (or movgrab and mplayer fbdev).
In menu.lst vga=788 or 791 (and modprobe fbcon in rc.local).
Walter Dnes

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jan 2017, 17:03    Post subject: FFMPEG+libavcodec versions?  

@rerwin

I'm doing some at-home testing on the "unstable build" of the next Pale Moon for linux version. It requires, absolute minimum, ffmpeg-0.8 and associated libavcodec-53. Lucid Puppy doesn't seem to have sufficiently up-to-date versions.. I dove into PPM, and came up with the display as shown in the attached screenshot. The main "Puppy Package Manager" dialogue claims that ffmpeg 0.5.9 and associated libavcodec52 0.5.9 is installed.

But the "PPM: version differences" dialogue lists ffmpeg 0.8.11 as being installed. Am I misreading this?
7screen.png
Description  Contradicting installed version info?
png

Download 
Filename  7screen.png 
Filesize  239.53 KB 
Downloaded  101 Time(s) 
sindi

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jan 2017, 21:07    Post subject: Lupu 2016 boots where Lupu 5.2.8.6 mini panics
Subject description: Compaq SR2020NX and related desktops

Compaq SR1920NX SR2020NX and probably SR2030NX (AM64 dual core from 2006) with Nvidia chips.

Puppy 4.3.1, Lupu Mini 5.2.8.6 kernel panic. 2.6 kernels

Tahr and Precise boot. 3.x kernels

Lupu 5.2.8.7 latest (Dec 28 2016) boots! 2.6 kerne

Video auto-set to fbdev 800x600.
Xorgwizard can set 1400x900 (widescreen monitor).

Sold with 512MB RAM but can take 4GB PC-3200 (1920) or 2GB PC2-4200 (2020, 2030).

These came to us with bad hard drive or bad or noisy CD-ROM drive, and one goes on when
plugged in (not switched on). A friend was about to recycle the 2030 because XP 'is not
secure' (and it also got messed up).

They are about the speed of a 2008 Compaq or SONY laptop or low-end 2009 DELL laptop, and a
bit slower than a high-end DELL laptop from 2006. Lupu really whizzes on them.

The neighbor kid stopped by this week for two desktops for his friends and a Puppy CD.
He tried all the Ubuntus and went back to Puppy. Now age 11.
sindi

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jan 2017, 21:48    Post subject: ffmpeg version and missing mouse cursors  

Sorry I missed the last page of posts clicking on link in email.

ffmpeg --version
Lists it as 0.8.11

Maybe PPM shows versions in the original Lucid Puppy not the current updated versions?

The Case of the Missing Mouse Cursor

Lupu 2016 (latest) on SR1920 - works as expected including mouse. (DDR1 memory).

On SR2020 I could not see a mouse cursor with PS/2 mouse so I plugged in USB mouse which had a
cursor after which moving the PS/2 mouse produced a cursor. I had fiddled with screen
resolutions trying out different ones and also been in terminal for a while.

SR2030 - no cursors with either mouse. Moving them around and right clicking produces
Desktop menu and shows that they are detected. I went straight from 800x600 to 1400x900.

This bug was reported in Ubuntu 10.0.4 kernel 2.6.32 with nvidia non-free kernel modules.
Mouse working but no cursor. gdm theme. Intel GMA950.

Also same problem reported on Samsung netbook NC10 (which I own).
Installing a metacity driver restores the cursor. (What is metacity?).

Ctrl-Alt-F1 Ctl-Alt-F7 fixed it for someone but not for me. Or typing in a terminal.

Do I need to choose a different driver for this Nvidia chip and if so how?
Nvidia GeForce 6150LE.
sindi

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jan 2017, 22:13    Post subject: how to edit xorg.conf to turn off hardware cursor?  

2008 Puppy Forum topic "invisible cursor", says problem is not just with nvidia chips but any
video chip using onboard RAM. Solution is to add to xorg.conf "HWCursor" "off" but this is no
longer the correct format to disable hardware cursor.

I tried "HWCursor" "False" or "Off" or "off"
"SWCursor" "True" etc.

The 2008 discussion mentioned Rerwin and Xorgwizard.
I am upgrading to that era of hardware (2006 desktops, 2008 netbook).
A 2010 linux is ideal (with the generous offer of updated browser).

A separate graphics card might also work.
rerwin

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan 2017, 21:25    Post subject: Re: FFMPEG+libavcodec versions?  

Walter Dnes wrote:
I'm doing some at-home testing on the "unstable build" of the next Pale Moon for linux version. It requires, absolute minimum, ffmpeg-0.8 and associated libavcodec-53. Lucid Puppy doesn't seem to have sufficiently up-to-date versions.. I dove into PPM, and came up with the display as shown in the attached screenshot. The main "Puppy Package Manager" dialogue claims that ffmpeg 0.5.9 and associated libavcodec52 0.5.9 is installed.

But the "PPM: version differences" dialogue lists ffmpeg 0.8.11 as being installed. Am I misreading this?
I see the same, so dug into the story behind that. Ffmpeg is normally installed from ubuntu .deb packages; that is what the PPM is seeing. In the first version of 5.2.8.6, a .pet package was added, ffmpeg-0.8.11-lupu528u005. That replaced the versions of libpostproc51 and libswscale0. Wherever the information is about installed deb packages (which I cannot find) it did not get updated, probably because the package was not a .deb. So, we have a hybrid, ffmpeg-0.8.11 with two 0.5.1 dependencies. It is a risk we have taken from the beginning of 5.2.8.6.

The question, now, is whether to update libpostproc51 and libswscale0, because they appear to be newer than the .pet versions. But they are associated with ffmpeg 0.5.9. Or maybe they were what was available when the .pet was built, but have moved on. Their descriptions are:
Quote:
libpostproc is a library containing older h263 based video postprocessing routines.
libswscale is a library containing video image scaling and colorspace/pixelformat conversion routines.

The 2 updates probably contain security updates. I plan to add them. I attach them here, in case anyone wants to try them.
libpostproc51_0.5.9-0ubuntu0.10.04.2_i386.deb.gz
Description  ffmpeg dependency update
Click on file to unzip it, then click again on the .dep, to install.
gz

Download 
Filename  libpostproc51_0.5.9-0ubuntu0.10.04.2_i386.deb.gz 
Filesize  186.2 KB 
Downloaded  104 Time(s) 
libswscale0_0.5.9-0ubuntu0.10.04.2_i386.deb.gz
Description  ffmpeg dependency update
Click on file to unzip it, then click again on the .dep, to install.
gz

Download 
Filename  libswscale0_0.5.9-0ubuntu0.10.04.2_i386.deb.gz 
Filesize  224.72 KB 
Downloaded  99 Time(s) 
Snail

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jan 2017, 04:05    Post subject: Lucid on T400
Subject description: Sulu2 works fine

Walter and Rerwin,

I have never succeeded in getting Sulu4 to run on my T400 laptop or my similar-vintage HP-Compaq desktop. Conversely, I've never had any real difficulty with manual- frugal installs of Sulu2 with either machine, firstboot always comes up properly with the correct resolution. Why would you need to do a full install on the T400, it runs frugal just fine?. I must admit that with Sulu2 being available, I haven't tried very hard to overcome the black screen issue with Sulu4,
Snail

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jan 2017, 05:23    Post subject: Phone USB connection  

The storage device desktop icons are one of the really convenient things about Puppy. When you plug in a USB drive the quick appearance of an appropriate icon is far better than the windows way and much faster too. However, when I plug in my Motorola Moto G2, running Marshmallow using a usb cable and selecting file transfer mode MTP, no convenient icon appears. Hardinfo shows that Sulu2 has detected the phone correctly as XT1068, but I can't see how to mount or access it.. PMount doesn't find it at all.

In Tahr64-6053, I can access the drive. However it doesn't present nicely in the normal Puppy way. There is a different, more windows-like approach of popup panels etc. This is adequate but clunky,when compared to the usual puppy way.
rerwin

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jan 2017, 22:02    Post subject: Managing KMS mode with modeset0  

The modeset fix on the previous page was a start on making Lucid's Intel/nVidia/radeon mode settings similar to those of other puppies, mode 1. I now have a more complete resolution to some of the bootup problems with the video display. I test it on my nVidia GeForce4 MX 460, where without mode 0 it presents lower resolution desktops, sometimes with messed up colors. Even if it boots to full resolution with a fresh pupsave environment, saving and rebooting results in a lower resolution. Mode 0 prevents that.

The attached package initializes the i915, nouveau and radeon .conf files to use mode 1, like other puppies. It also has a udev rules file and command-line script to manage setting of mode 0 for special cases, allowing a user to set mode 0 for currently installed VGA controllers that use those drivers.

The script, modeset0, is for use when a user finds that the display is incorrect or not presented, at all. If viewing an incorrect video display, the user can ctrl-alt-bksp to get to the command prompt (outside of X). At the command prompt, the user can enter "modeset0" to create a udev rule to set mode 0 for the particular VGA controller.

At subsequent bootups, the rule file in the package, /etc/udev/rules/00-modeset0.rules, resets the modes to 1, then executes any rules it has for particular VGA controllers (currently only my MX460), to force mode 0. After that, the user's newly created rule file sets mode 0 for the current display.

This setup can be removed by re-running modeset0 from the command line (outside of X). It detects the presence of the users rule file and offers to remove it. One might ask why all this to simply set a configuration file.

This arrangement adapts to the change-out of display controllers, so that the modeset0.conf file gets removed when the controller hardware is absent. The user can run modeset0 again if the replacement controller needs it.

I request that anyone successfully using the tool to resolve a display issue, please, tell us and give the content of the created rule file (or attach it), so that it can be added to the 00-modeset0.rules file (in a generalized form), to avoid others needing to create their own special rule file.

EDIT: Re-uploaded the package after removing redundant initialization script, after download #2.
modeset0-lucid-20170122.pet
Description  Tool to manage setting KMS mode 0 for uncooperative VGA controllers --
possible way to fix wrong resolution at bootup or failure to get to desktop
pet

Download 
Filename  modeset0-lucid-20170122.pet 
Filesize  2.91 KB 
Downloaded  87 Time(s) 
rerwin

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan 2017, 00:01    Post subject:  

Regarding the T400 and its VGA controller:
Code:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:2a42] (rev 07)
During my research I ran across the following suggestion:
Quote:
intel mobile 4 chipset (GMA500. etc.) - with the black screen after the splash from the infamous intel mobile 4 chipset -
actually it is the backlight - it is backwards? Boot the computer, and as root, edit the file /etc/rc.local
just before the exit 0 line, add the line "setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=00"

Has anyone tried this?
belham2

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan 2017, 06:06    Post subject:  

rerwin wrote:
Regarding the T400 and its VGA controller:
Code:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:2a42] (rev 07)
During my research I ran across the following suggestion:
Quote:
intel mobile 4 chipset (GMA500. etc.) - with the black screen after the splash from the infamous intel mobile 4 chipset -
actually it is the backlight - it is backwards? Boot the computer, and as root, edit the file /etc/rc.local
just before the exit 0 line, add the line "setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=00"

Has anyone tried this?

Hi Rerwin,

Do you think that a problem I am seeing in my setup Lupu is related to what you've been discussing these past few msgs? I am AMD w/ motherboards that all have integrated ATI Radeon (RS880/Radeon HD versions). These are ~5-6 yr old machines, a bit old I guess but still they scream for my needs. Depending on which one I am using, they'll have a minimum of 2GB and max 8GB RAM. On all my diff machines (I abhor Intel on desktops, haha, whether rightly or wrongly, but luv Intel on laptops) my setup Lupu-----running off a USB frugally-installed with savefile---motors along great except for this annoying thing:

every dialog box that comes back for any application and/or system setting, where I can enter things to change whatever, that dialog box entry line goes completely black with screen-gibberish the moment the mouse clicks into that particular line. If I click on another entry line in the dialog box, that other line immediately also goes to blacked-out gibberish and the line that just had the mouse-click w/ gibberish goes back to being perfectly clear and normal appearing. I have to literally guess at what I am entering, because you can't see it. Slow, careful keyboard pecking is what happens, and then testing the setting and.or application to see if it entered like I typed. It's frustrating (browser and email apps, though, are immune to this). Or, dialog boxes will have sections completely blacked out and/or made to look gibberish See the pic below, using the "fbpanel configuration" as an example. It's like this for everything save the browser and email. Any tips and hints you could give me to stop this behavior would be greatly appreciated. I am at the point where I am wondering if it is the Xorg, but everything in Xorg is set correctly, from screen resolution to all that I can see. I've tried many different Xorg settings (dropping into X), but nothing is helping Crying or Very sad

(P.S. Also, weirdly, this is the first pup I've ever had that doesn't allow me to make the background in conky transparent..no matter how I enter things into conky, it has to be a color background...makes me wonder if the behavior I am describing here is related)

[edit: spelling corrections and to post correct pic]
lupu.png
 Description   
 Filesize   146.68 KB
 Viewed   324 Time(s)

lupu.png

Les Kerf

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jan 2017, 09:16    Post subject: Suspend to RAM in Lucid?  

I am running lupusuper4plus from a USB thumb drive on a 2009 iMac with mostly good success.

I have done quite a bit of searching over the past week, trying to find a way to get this system to go to sleep (suspend) rather than doing a full shutdown.

There seems to be plenty of options for laptops, but very little for a desktop unit.

It seems to me that there should be a way, as the hardware certainly allows this when operating from OSX.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Les
backi

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jan 2017, 09:42    Post subject:  

Hi Les Kerf !

If you want to set your machine to sleep........

Install with Packetmanager acpitool (or acpitools not quite sure )

make a little script with Geany either :

acpitool -s

or:

bin!/sh
acpitool -s

make this scripts executable ...... hope you know how to do it .

Click on these scripts to execute them .
rerwin

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jan 2017, 11:22    Post subject:  

belham2 wrote:
Do you think that a problem I am seeing in my setup Lupu is related to what you've been discussing these past few msgs? I am AMD w/ motherboards that all have integrated ATI Radeon (RS880/Radeon HD versions). These are ~5-6 yr old machines, a bit old I guess but still they scream for my needs. Depending on which one I am using, they'll have a minimum of 2GB and max 8GB RAM. On all my diff machines (I abhor Intel on desktops, haha, whether rightly or wrongly, but luv Intel on laptops) my setup Lupu-----running off a USB frugally-installed with savefile---motors along great except for this annoying thing:

every dialog box that comes back for any application and/or system setting, where I can enter things to change whatever, that dialog box entry line goes completely black with screen-gibberish the moment the mouse clicks into that particular line. If I click on another entry line in the dialog box, that other line immediately also goes to blacked-out gibberish and the line that just had the mouse-click w/ gibberish goes back to being perfectly clear and normal appearing. I have to literally guess at what I am entering, because you can't see it. Slow, careful keyboard pecking is what happens, and then testing the setting and.or application to see if it entered like I typed. It's frustrating (browser and email apps, though, are immune to this). Or, dialog boxes will have sections completely blacked out and/or made to look gibberish See the pic below, using the "fbpanel configuration" as an example. It's like this for everything save the browser and email. Any tips and hints you could give me to stop this behavior would be greatly appreciated. I am at the point where I am wondering if it is the Xorg, but everything in Xorg is set correctly, from screen resolution to all that I can see. I've tried many different Xorg settings (dropping into X), but nothing is helping Crying or Very sad

That looks like a hardware/driver problem. The black-and-white part is what I would expect for the entire screen for a modeset issue. The first thing to try would be booting with radeon.modeset=0, to eliminate that as a possibility.

To help me research this, please get the card info for each VGA device, using the command string:
Code:
lspci -nnvd $(lspci -nn | grep VGA | grep -Eo '[0-9a-f]+:[0-9a-f]+' | grep '.........')
For my device, that shows:
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 MX 460] [10de:0170] (rev a3) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    Subsystem: CardExpert Technology Device [10b0:0002]
    Flags: 66MHz, medium devsel, IRQ 11
    Memory at c2000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
    Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
    Memory at e9000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=512K]
    [virtual] Expansion ROM at e8000000 [disabled] [size=128K]
    Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 2
    Capabilities: [44] AGP version 2.0
    Kernel modules: nouveau
That should improve chances of finding a solution.
Richard
Page 50 of 70 [1036 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, ..., 68, 69, 70 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: