2.14 alpha - puppy not found

Please post any bugs you have found
MU

2.14 alpha - puppy not found

#1 Post by MU »

I copied these files to my hard disk (first Puppy 2 on this computer), and booted via grub:

/puppy214a/vmlinuz (hda1)
/puppy214a/initrd.gz (hda1)
/pup_214.sfs (hda1 and hda8)
/zdrv_214.sfs (hda1 and hda8)

Puppy boots the kernel, then searches for pup_214.sfs and zdrv_214.sfs or pup_save.2fs, don't remember.

Then it tells me:
PDEV is hda1 ( or hda 8 , as I tried both )
Puppy not found
Then it stays in the Guru-shell.

If I copy pup_214.sfs to hda 11 (the last drive), it works correct.
I think that might be caused by this issue reported by dougal:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 8649#88649

I made more tests, also installed Muppy007.
This time all 4 files on hda10.
That works.
So maybe there is another issue:
both drives that work, use ext2 partitions.

Code: Select all

sh-3.00# probepart
/dev/hdc|iso9660|0|QSI CD-RW/DVD-ROM SBW-161
/dev/hda1|ntfs|41463702|OS/2 HPFS or NTFS
/dev/hda2|none|36676395|Extended (contains other slice)
/dev/hda5|ext3|224847|Linux Ext3FS
/dev/hda6|swap|674667|Linux Swap
/dev/hda7|vfat|224847|Win95 FAT32
/dev/hda8|ext3|16595082|Linux Ext3FS
/dev/hda9|ext3|6843627|Linux Ext3FS
/dev/hda10|ext2|8047746|Linux Ext2Fs
/dev/hda11|ext2|4064445|Linux Ext2Fs
btw.: nice backdrop in 2.14! :)

Mark

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

Puppy 214 does not find pup_214.sfs on my vfat hda1 either (frugal install, grub)

MU

#3 Post by MU »

I just rebooted, to launch 214 again after running Muppy.
Again: Puppy not found.

The only thing that changed:
Muppy had created pup_save.3fs on /mnt/hda10

So I booted Puppy 107, deleted /mnt/hda10/pup_save.3fs - et voilà: Puppy 214 starts again.

Puppy 214 uses /mnt/hda11/pup_save.2fs to store files.

Mark

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

Hmm, it seems that this problem occurs when you have hda10 or hda11.
Perhaps the script has a fault when it has searched those two, it's logic
truncates the numeric digits and thinks that hda1 is already searched.
...anyone got a PC that only goes up to hda9 or less?

Note, Dougal did send me a fix for the init script awhile back, which is
implemented in 2.14alpha. That was a problem with the script giving up
the search too soon.

HairyWill

boot dropping to guru console

#5 Post by HairyWill »

I'm getting dropped to the guru prompt
my partition info
hda1 NTFS XP
hda2 EXT2 frugal puppy214
hda3 EXT2 muppy
hda5 EXT3 files
hda6 SWAP

I'm booting using grldr from hda1

title Puppy Linux 2.14 test
hide (hd0,2)
unhide (hd0,1)
kernel (hd0,1)/boot214/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 pfix=ram
initrd (hd0,1)/boot214/initrd.gz
boot
However if I remove the pfix=ram it finds the existing pup_save.3fs (from puppy 2.12) on hda2 and boots and upgrades successfully.
Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#6 Post by GuestToo »

i have partitions hda1 and hda5 to hda16 ... but i suspect that it is not a problem with hda10+ ... init does not seem to find pup_214.sfs on hda1 (in my case, vfat) ... after looking at hda1, it searches hda5, hda6, etc etc

Firefox

Full Hard Disk Install impossible

#7 Post by Firefox »

Downloaded 2.14 and tried to install it on a pristine hard drive formatted as usual to ext 2 with swap partition. Although it said it copied the files over, I rebooted after mbr install and tried to run it from the hard drive. Only a few lines came up and then stopped with a few diferent errors (i tried iit a few times).
1)Something about a Squash file not recognised.
2)To little data to set up?
3) reported an (err=1)?
I then cleaned the drive, loaded and saved v2.13 to the HD, then rebooted & loaded 2.14 and used the upgrade option to sort the files out, this worked and I can now boot from HD using 2.14.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#8 Post by BarryK »

I'm trying to understand what is going on.

Firstly, MU:
/puppy214a/vmlinuz (hda1)
/puppy214a/initrd.gz (hda1)
/pup_214.sfs (hda1 and hda8)
/zdrv_214.sfs (hda1 and hda8)
...why did you place copies in hda8? All files should be in the same place, hda1.

Secondly, are these problems different from v2.13?
The difference in the 'init' script between 2.13 and 2.14ALPHA is that I applied the "fix" that Dougal sent me, that "fixed" an earlier problem that caused the "pup_save.2fs" (or pup_save.3fs) file to sometimes not be found.
If we now have a new problem that was not in v2.13, then the "fix" is responsible.

WhoDo

#9 Post by WhoDo »

BarryK wrote:The difference in the 'init' script between 2.13 and 2.14ALPHA is that I applied the "fix" that Dougal sent me, that "fixed" an earlier problem that caused the "pup_save.2fs" (or pup_save.3fs) file to sometimes not be found.
If we now have a new problem that was not in v2.13, then the "fix" is responsible.
I don't know whether this is a part of the same problem or not, but here is my tale as well. I tried a frugal install of Puppy 2.14a on hda2. Puppy wouldn't boot from that partition no matter what I did. All other copies of Puppy (2.12 and 2.13) booted fine.

THEN, out of shear frustration, I copied a backup copy of my pup_save.2fs into hda2 and rebooted. Voila! Puppy found!

Shouldn't Puppy boot regardless of the presence of a pup_save.2fs file in the subject partition? Puppy 2.13 did, and then created its own pup_save.2fs on shutdown.

All of this sounds strangely related, IMHO.

Partition info;

hda1 - NTFS
hda2 - ext2 (Puppy Frugal install - pup_save file - hidden when booting hda7 & 8 )
hda3 - Linux Swap
hda4 - Extended
hda5 - ext3 (PCLinuxOS)
hda6 - ext3 (Data)
hda7 - ext3 (Puppy Full HDD install - hidden when booting hda2 & 8 )
hda8 - ext3 (Puppy Frugal install - full partition save - hidden when booting hda2 & 7 )

Hope that helps in the bug hunt, guys.

Cheers

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#10 Post by GuestToo »

why did you place copies in hda8? ... are these problems different from v2.13?
213 finds pup_213.sfs on hda1

214 does not find pup_214.sfs on hda1

214 does find pup_214.sfs on hda1 if it finds a pup_save file on hda1

214 does find pup_214.sfs on hda16 (also vfat) on my machine ... i think it finds pup_214.sfs on MU's hda8

the problem seems to be that 214 does not find pup_214.sfs on hda1, even though it is there ... it does seem to find it on other partitions

MU

#11 Post by MU »

I first tried hda1.
As it did not work, I copied it to hda8.

I did not try Puppy 2.x on that machine before.
Mark

HairyWill

weird got it working

#12 Post by HairyWill »

OK this is really odd. I used the intitrd editor dotpup to insert some debugging output and still couldn't boot without a pupsave. I inserted some more debugging lines and now it works fine. Doing a diff against the original init script shows only some extra output to the console.

I wonder if repacking it a couple of times with some padding has fixed some problem with the encoding of the binary part? But really I haven't a clue?

If you want my modified initrd.gz give me a shout and I'll give you a link to it.
<edit date ="02/02/2007">OK that is embarassing. I hadn't changed anything inside init but I had changed something externally to make it behave properly. Looking at Dougal's post below makes me understand why. I had placed 2 pupsaves on every visible partition which also stops the problem with findpupfunc though not in a way that is particularly useful. Thanks for the education</edit>
Last edited by HairyWill on Fri 02 Feb 2007, 11:51, edited 1 time in total.
Will
contribute: [url=http://www.puppylinux.org]community website[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6c3nm6]screenshots[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/6j2gbz]puplets[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/57gykn]wiki[/url], [url=http://tinyurl.com/5dgr83]rss[/url]

Dougal

#13 Post by Dougal »

I found the cause of this problem.
All my fix does is to prevent findpupfunc from aborting when it finds PUPSFS but not PUPSAVE (since for non-cd media searchsavefunc is not run). So it keeps searching the other partitions after finding PUPSFS.
However, whenever ispupfunc is run, it "zeroes out" PUPSFS! So you lose what you have already found…
The solution is to comment out the line at the beginning of ispupfunc where PUPSFS is "zeroed":

PUPSFS=""
The "zeroing" of EXTRASFS should also be commented out (a couple of lines below it).
(the reason I didn't encounter this when testing the modification is that there was always a PUPSFS on the same partition as the PUPSAVE…even if there was one PUPSFS found on a previous partition.)

I would also recommend that the two places where PDEV1 is zeroed out (the beginning of findpupfunc and before the PMEDIA case structure) should be removed -- and probably all other places where parameters are zeroed out -- since it prevents the user from overriding the script in case of problematic HW (by giving boot params for PUPSFS, PDEV1 etc.).

While on this subject, I'd also recommend that

PMEDIA=idecd
be removed from isolinux.cfg (or whatever it's called) in the ISO, since it overrides the commandline boot options.
Some user had problems booting and I suggested using

PMEDIA=none
(so it will go to the "*)" part of the PMEDIA case structure) and it didn't work, but changing the value in the iso did work! So apparently the value in the ISO is what gets used.
Rather than have PMEDIA defined in the ISO, the init script can start with a line such as

[ ! "$PMEDIA" ] && PMEDIA=idecd
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

BarryK
Puppy Master

#14 Post by BarryK »

Dougal, thanks very much for coming to the rescue!
For now, I've only commented-out the PUPSFS="" and EXTRASFS="" at the
beginning of ispupfunc, to solve the immediate problem.