How I fixed my Quirky Xerus 8.1.6 USB boot problem

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Kafshiel

How I fixed my Quirky Xerus 8.1.6 USB boot problem

#1 Post by Kafshiel »

Creating an USB Live of Puppy Xerus 8.1.6 amd64 using Unetbootin, from Linux or Windows, and using Rufus or other tool from Windows might fail.
So here's the process of how to do this from a Linux terminal.
If you don't have a permanent Linux installation on your computer (why not?), rest assured that you can do this from your previous Puppy Live USB or CD/DVD.
So just open a Terminal, preferably on the folder where the Xerus 8.1.6 amd64 is, (Open Terminal here) or if you don't know how to
use the context menu (c'mon it's pretty easy!), from /home just cd to the directory where Xerus 8.1.6 amd64 is.
It could be the download folder, that's for you to figure out!
This bug was solved by using the "dd" method to get the ISO onto an 8 GB USB pen drive.
If your drive is not formatted "dd" will take care of that but, anyway, in rare cases, the drive won't have a proper partition table. So you either use Gparted from your older Puppy or just reset your USB drive like this:
Code:

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=512 count=4096

So, from Xubuntu 16.04.1 terminal, I did:
Sudo is only needed if your Terminal ends with an "$" sign, if it ends
with an "#" sign you're already root, no need for sudo.
Code:

sudo dd if=xerus-8.1.6-amd64.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=1M && sync

Notice that my USB drive is /dev/sdb because I disconnected all other USB drives, like external HDD's and other pen drives. I won't go into the identification of your drives here, it's a lot of talk...
If you disconnect all other USB external storage drives your Puppy pen drive should now be sdb.
And NOT sdb1 or sdb2! That will ruin the "dd" command. So just /dev/sdb ok?
After the 2nd command is completed you can boot the PC and all works like a charm.
I never wanted to do a frugal install, I like to have my Puppies in pen drives,
so I can take them with me everywhere.
They're true Linux army knives and helped me save countless installations from my friends, specially using Gparted to manage partitions, Grub4DOS to rescue many boots and the File Manager to backup data between drives.
I must say that Puppy Xerus is absolutely gorgeous, out of the box,
I just installed the PET cursors-1.1 package because I prefer the Obsidian cursors.
So the bug is solved, now you can all enjoy a Live USB of Puppy Xerus 8.1.6!
My best regards to you all, enjoy and use your new Puppy and have a great day.

belham2

Re: Quirky Xerus 8.1.6

#2 Post by belham2 »

Kafshiel wrote:Creating an USB Live of Puppy Xerus 8.1.6 amd64

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=512 count=4096

sudo dd if=xerus-8.1.6-amd64.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=1M && sync

So the bug is solved, now you can all enjoy a Live USB of Puppy Xerus 8.1.6!
My best regards to you all, enjoy and use your new Puppy and have a great day.
Kafshiel,

First, is there any way possible you can PLEASE :evil: follow the advice given to you in another thread an
d keep the posts about Quirky in its own particular thread? Our forum moderator (FLASH) told/asked you this, I also chimed in and asked you to please follow this, and here you are starting another "new" thread again. What exactly is happening here? Follow the simple request. DO NOT START ANOTHER THREAD ABOUT QUIRKY IN THE BUG SECTION!

And this request is even more true when NO bug is being solved. Look at what you've written. There isn't a "bug" with Quirky (or any Quirky) being solved. All of Barry's Quirky creations will boot using "dd" command. Barry, since the first Quirky creation a few years ago now, has always clearly written how to do "dd-ing". It all is in detail on his website/blog http://barryk.org/news/?viewDetailed=00482. Equally, look at the copious explanations, like from iblblio or nluug that Barry always posts: http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/quirky ... nstall.htm Is there any mention of using something like unebootin? No. Barry very clearly says how to install and to use the "dd" commands--it is his preferred way of installing. Something like 'unebootin', as Barry writes, cannot work with the expanding images he creates for the Quirkies.

Please, all contributors posts are appreciated. But first try to educate yourself a bit more on here (or, instead, post to the "newbie" section): the dd command is NOT installing live when it comes to the Quirky family. The command of "dd" used for Quirkys is to fully install Quirky to your USB drive. On the other hand, when we speak of 'frugal' install, it is those people who are running "live." This (frugal) is where the bug is/was, inside the init script, since these "live" people could not have a "savefile" recognized after creation and subsequent boots. With the workaround I provided (and Barry will soon fix), a person can run "live" with the option for saving upon exit or at any time they choose by hitting the "savefile" button. As far as the "dd" commands, that worked from the moment he released them!

So please take time to look at the builders (like Barry's) numerous previous posts and their own websites. Especially take time to look at this website (and follow its rules & protocols for posting). Doing so makes it so that we (all posters here) on murgalinux can enjoy a better and more efficient forum.

Have fun, Kafshiel, with the new/ latest Quirky! Barry---even when he is experimenting as he has been the past few years with these Quirkies---makes some incredible pup-related OSes. :wink:

P.S. Flash, don't mean to step on/usurp your role here....just frustrated why, when a direct (nice) request was given, a "new" post/thread happens again. Maybe it is a "language" barrier, but Kafshiel writes in English well enough...I think he is just over-eager to help and contribute, which is good. Forgive him, and show some mercy :)