Browse shared files on another PC?(Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie

Browse shared files on another PC?(Solved)

#1 Post by Guest »

Hi all, another question if I may...

I have tried searching for this but can't find it so if somebody just wants to point me to a thread where it's answered, that'd be cool too.

I've got my puppy running, and I have a shared folder on my windows PC that I want to view.

If I go to LinNeighbourhood I can see the windows PC in the network.

But I can't seem to browse the shared files anywhere? Typing wither the PC name or the IP address in to mozilla returns that the location could not be found. And I don't even know where to look in the file manager!

Any help greatly apreciated, thanks in advance

#2 Post by Guest »

LinNeighbourhood lets you browse the network and mount shares...just expand the tree and you'll see

mozilla wont do it as SMB (samba windows shares) and http are completely different animals

#3 Post by Guest »

Ah, perhaps this is where the problem lies then.

In the LinNeighbourhood window I can see the PC, but there's no + symbol next to it, I take it there should be?

Any ideas why I wouldn't be able to see the shared files in that?

edoc

#4 Post by edoc »

Anonymous wrote:Ah, perhaps this is where the problem lies then.
In the LinNeighbourhood window I can see the PC, but there's no + symbol next to it, I take it there should be?
Any ideas why I wouldn't be able to see the shared files in that?
Check to be sure that the folders and their contents have been made shared.

doc

danleff

#5 Post by danleff »

I'll have to update my web page on this. It was referenced in Puppy's help files on LinNeighborhood. Some things have changed.

If the Windows directories are tagged as shared, then you should be ok.

Try highlighting the apparent Windows share with the mouse, right click and just pick "mount" then "OK." See if they come up.If so, double click the designated drive. The one that says (as an example) "D" not the one that says D$.

If you do not get the shares, you have to probe the Windows box first.

Look for the button on the top of LinNeigborhood that says "add."

Click on this. You will get a dialog window.

If you know that Windows is say, MSHOME, fill this in, then click on the probe button for the address. See if it fills in an ip address. If so, your in business.

Then try to mount the shares with the right click on the share in the dialog window (it should say the name of the Windows box) and click "OK" to mount the share, as noted above. If it is a true shared drive, then Rox should open it.

If I remember correctly, the shares are mounted in /root/mnt. You can use Rox to navigate there, if Rox is not set in LinNeighborhood to use Rox by default. If it is not, you can set LinNeigborhood to use Rox by default.
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

Forthy

#6 Post by Forthy »

Thanks both for your help.

I've managed to suss this with a bit of random point-and-click.

What I had to do was right click on the computer upon which the shares were held and then click "scan as user", and then click OK in the box tyhat came up for username/password etc (obviously leaving the username as root and the password blank).

All the rescanning / left clicking / add-ing etc makes no difference until this is done for some reason :?
puppy n00b

rmerry72

#7 Post by rmerry72 »

I have successfully browsed an added Samba mounts this way to connect to shares on my Windows boxes. I'd like to store this connect so that I don't have to setup the mounts everytimes I log in.

When I elect to save the mounts and then shutdown the computer, Puppy rights its RAM disk back to my puppy001 file, as expected. However, it tries to browse my mounts and then save the contents of the mounts on the USB! Eeek. 800GB of shared mounts is not going to fit on my 256MB USB drive :-)

Is there a way around this unfortunate side effect? How can I create my Samba mounts once, so that there are automatically created when restart the box?

I'm boting Puppy off a USB. The device has no hard drive or CD-ROM, and I'm *hoping* I can keep it that way.

Thanx,
Rick