Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 25 Sep 2018, 18:59
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Lucid Puppy Revitalized as 5.2.8.7 - Nov., 2017 - Final
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 49 of 70 [1036 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, ..., 68, 69, 70 Next
rerwin

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jan 2017, 16:31    Post subject:  

Robert123 wrote:
Emachines E625 in my case
. . .
Has the won't boot into xorg desktop bug on this machine - blast. Old Lucid doesn't do this
. . .
Yes it is a shame guys i wanted to stick with 5.2.8.7 as a good workhorse - worked well otherwise. Oh well will use 5.11 instead.
. . .
ATI Radeon Card. in my E625

Robert,
Let's work on this situation. First, please obtain the information I ask for, so I can pinpoint the problem:
    1. The output from: lspci -nn | grep 'VGA'
    2.The boot parameter mode option that works: radeon.modeset=1 or radeon.modeset=0 or radeon.nomodeset
I assume you are concerned about the base lucid pup (lupu) -- right?
rerwin

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jan 2017, 17:41    Post subject:  

Walter,
Thanks for trying the parameters.
Walter Dnes wrote:
adding i915.modeset=1 didn't do anything. Are you sure that "i915" even works with a Poulsbo video chip? This is not really an Intel product.
Their name is on it, in the lspci output. In my searches, I saw that the hardware was made by some other company, but Intel identifies that card as theirs. All of the info I saw associates poulsbo with i915, and generally implies that modeset=1 should work for it.

Quote:
Just to check, I changed "vga=normal" to "vga=ask", but did not get anything higher than VESA 1024x768 on the list.
In a frugal installation, I don't think that parameter is appropriate. I think I saw that the vga= parameter should be removed when using the modeset parameter.

And you did remove the "pfix=nox, didn't you?

Does this mean you are running a full installation? If so, could you try a frugal or "live" setup?

Also, have you tried sulu2 or one of the other lupu variants -- frugally?

Please show us the context where you added modeset=1?
Walter Dnes

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jan 2017, 22:18    Post subject:  

It was a "full install". I have extended partition /dev/sda1 (approx 240 gigs). The rest is
    /dev/sda5 swap 5 gigabytes
    /dev/sda6 lucid puppy 10 gigabytes ext3
    /dev/sda7 wipe and full install 10 gigabytes ext3
    /dev/sd8 the rest of the drive (data) ext3

I've tried various Puppies on /dev/sd7, but they all have mouse problems. It may not be a bug, but rather the netbook may be dying on me. I get ominous dmesg output. See the 7th message in thread http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=939182 Maybe you should forget about this machine, because it may be hardware problems.

I have a Lenovo T400 that I got 2nd hand to play around with Windows 7. Microsoft is shafting Windows users, so I'll blow away Windows and try superlupu4 on that machine instead.
Walter Dnes

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jan 2017, 00:17    Post subject:  

OK, now on to the Lenovo T400. It's a full install. The hard drive is "only" 75 gigs. sulu3 and sulu4 seem to have problems setting video resolution. Plain Lucid set the Atom netbook at 1024x768 VESA and the T400 correctly at 1280x800. sulu3 and sulu4 set the netbook at 640x480 and simply could not run X, period, on the T400 Surprised

I have the same X startup failure with the T400 on Lucid Puppy as on the Atom netbook. Rather than than all this fiddling around, wouldn't it be simpler to stick the "xwin" command at the end of the init script? Alternatively, most linuxes have the option of a "local start" file where you can insert custom commands. Is there an equivalant in Lucid?
Robert123

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jan 2017, 00:44    Post subject:  

rerwin wrote:
Robert123 wrote:
. . .
Has the won't boot into xorg desktop bug on this machine - blast. Old Lucid doesn't do this

Hi Richard,

. . .
Yes it is a shame guys i wanted to stick with 5.2.8.7 as a good workhorse - worked well otherwise. Oh well will use 5.11 instead.
. . .

Robert,
Let's work on this situation. First, please obtain the information I ask for, so I can pinpoint the problem:
    2.The boot parameter mode option that works: radeon.modeset=1 or radeon.modeset=0 or radeon.nomodeset

Yes the standard Lucid - will do an install tonight on the E625.

Robert123

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jan 2017, 01:43    Post subject:  

Robert123 wrote:
rerwin wrote:
Robert123 wrote:
. . .

Hi Richard,

. . .
. . .

Robert,

Yes the standard Lucid - will do an install tonight on the E625.

VGA compatible controller [0300]: advanced Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RS690M [Radeon xpress 1200/1250/1270] [1002:791f]

Walter Dnes

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jan 2017, 09:12    Post subject:  

Out of sheer curiousity, where in Lucid's init scripts is X launched? Given all the people with different machines experiencing problems, I wonder if it's systemic in the script.
rerwin

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jan 2017, 15:40    Post subject:  

Robert123,
Thanks for the hardware details. Now, we have:
    VGA compatible controller [0300]: advanced Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RS690M [Radeon xpress 1200/1250/1270] [1002:791f]

3. The Lucid variant (lupu, lupu3hd, sulu 1-4) or kernel version this applies to.
    The standard Lucid kernel 2.6.33.2
For item #2, please try booting with boot parameter: radeon.modeset=0

That seems most likely to help, from what I see online. But try radeon.modeset=1, too, if only to rule it out.
rerwin

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jan 2017, 18:09    Post subject:  

Walter Dnes,
Let's collect what I need to address the basic factors.

Re the Lenovo T400:
- Has the won't boot into xorg desktop bug on this machine
- Wrong video resolution - sulu3, sulu4 (640x480, lupu correct at 1280x800)
    1. The output from: lspci -nn | grep 'VGA':
    (need the info)

2a. The boot parameter mode option that works: i915.modeset=1 or i915.modeset=0 or i915.nomodeset:
    OR
    2b. The boot parameter mode option that works: radeon.modeset=1 or radeon.modeset=0 or radeon.nomodeset:
    (depending on the answer to #1)

3. The Lucid variant (lupu, lupu3hd, sulu 1-4) or kernel version this applies to: lupu, sulu 1 & 4

In case the problems are related to the full installation versus a frugal, please try a frugal with lupu.
Walter Dnes

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jan 2017, 21:19    Post subject:  

The T400 chip is...
Code:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:2a42] (rev 07)

The various modesetting options do not work on Lucid Puppy, full install on my T400. We know that...

1) A lot of people are booting to a text console with Lucid, regardless of GPU
    2) Manually executing "xwin" (without the quotes) works for everybody

Item 2 implies that video detection is working properly. And item 1 implies that "xwin" is not being executed in the first place, and video diagnostics are not going to help. This is not meant to be insulting, but please tell us where xwin is supposed to be launched by the init script.

Now for a heavy-handed solution for Lucid Puppy, full install on the T400. As per http://puppylinux.org/wikka/AddCommandsStartupShutdown I added the command
Code:
xwin

as the last line of /etc/rc.d/rc.local and it now comes up with the desktop at bootup. This should work for other versions as well. The only thing non standard about my install is that I use a USB key. The Atom doesn't have a CD drive. The original ISO image does not boot. I have to execute "isohybrid" on it before doing "dd" to the USB key.

Now I'll take a look at sulu4. I do want to get the netbook's Poulsbo GPU properly driven, so I can get 1366x768 video with a little bit of acceleration..
Robert123

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jan 2017, 14:52    Post subject:  

Yes had a feeling it wasn't a video driver issue just the need to place xwin instruction in rc.local. Have moved to Slacko 5.33 which performs far better than any Lucid on this machine.

Last edited by Robert123 on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 04:54; edited 1 time in total
rerwin

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jan 2017, 18:40    Post subject:  

Thanks, Walter Dnes, for the VGA detail. The following may help.

I have come to the conclusion that I need to change the default modeset value to "1", as do all of the other recent puppies. This affects the Intel i915 and AMD/ATI Radeon (module) drivers. I am leaving the nouveau setting as "0", unless someone identifies the need for it to be "1", or not specified, at all.

Here's what pushed me to this conclusion:
I installed the 20161228 sulu4 on my Asus netbook and saw the "black screen" problem when I booted with pfix=ram. Worse than that, there was no response to ctrl-alt-backspace or attempts to brighten the screen by pressing F6 (brightness). Only the power switch had any effect. (modeset=1 corrected the problem.)

My VGA card is:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:27ae] (rev 03)

I am not changing the value for the nouveau driver because I found (a year and a half ago) suggestions to use modeset=0 for that driver. So, modeset=0 has been in effect for the nouveau driver in all Lucid 5.2.8.7 variants. (Both of my nVidia cards seem to need it.)

I am attaching a "fix" package that edits the first line of the /etc/modprobe.d .conf files:
    /etc/modprobe.d/i915.conf: options i915 modeset=1

/etc/modprobe.d/radeon.conf: options radeon modeset=1
Or you can edit those files yourself.

As a result of the modeset change, there is a risk that some VGA cards that have been working might now fail. Please report any such cases and include the three details I have been requesting (lspci -nn | grep VGA, lupu variant, mode that works). The fix for those is probably to force mode 0. I am hoping that those cases will be fewer than the cases requiring "1". The change should make the Lupus act similarly to the other puppies, for Intel and Radeon graphic cards.

To restore mode 1 for the nouveau driver, simply comment out the first line (option . . .) of /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau.conf. The hardware defaults to mode 1.

Please give me your opinion on these decisions. Thank you.
Richard
modeset_fix_for_i915_and_radeon_to_5.2.8.7-20161228.pet
Description  Turns on Kernel Mode Setting to use full VGA capabilities at bootup time.
pet

Download 
Filename  modeset_fix_for_i915_and_radeon_to_5.2.8.7-20161228.pet 
Filesize  477 Bytes 
Downloaded  86 Time(s) 
Walter Dnes

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jan 2017, 00:14    Post subject: Poulsbo GMA500 video-related stuff  

I partially adapted instructions from post 2 of an old thread http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67166 I've modified /etc/rc/d/rc.local as follows

Code:
#!/bin/ash
915resolution 38 1366 768
modprobe fbcon mode_option=1366x768@60

if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall ]; then
  /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall start
fi

xwin

The 2 lines to note are
Code:
915resolution 38 1366 768
modprobe fbcon mode_option=1366x768@60

Yes, I do get 1366x768, confirmed by xrandr. A couple of questions...

I tried this manually first, switched back to 1024x768, and then back to 1366x768. The desktop icons are scrunched together a little too close for comfort, and some of their text labels overlap. Is there a command to "reset desktop icon spacing"?

II'm testing out unstable builds leading up to Pale Moon 27.1.0. https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14455 I've managed to make it mostly work on Lucid, with the exception of h264 (ffmpeg) so far. It works fully on Slacko on my Lenovo T400. Youtube "runs", or should I say crawls, on my netbook, even with the build being optimized for the Atom Bonnell cpu. This is due to the Poulsbo GPU being run by VESA. Would uvesafb be any better? What would the equivalent instructions for installing uvesafb be in today's Lucid Puppy?
sindi

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jan 2017, 00:34    Post subject: Pale Moon in Puppy Linux!  

Walter, thanks for your efforts. I can't answer your video question but I can test your results on my 2008 netbooks (ACER, HP, Samsung) with Lucid and Slacko.

And if you compiled with SSE support, on my 2001 DELL.

Firefox 17 and 45 libxul.so is 72MB.

Palemoon's is 60MB. Why the difference?

Conkeror (keyboard OR mouse controlled) from 2010 (for lucid 5.2) has 13MB libxul.so, and it uses 2% of 512MB RAM and 9% of 1GHz CPU, where Opera (12.16, not much more recent) uses 19% of each at the home page of Otter browser [code] http://otter-browser.org [/code]. I expect Pale Moon to be in the middle. Can't yet test with PIII.

Anyone want to compile the latest 2016 Conkeror (with git) for Lucid? Or Otter (takes off where Opera 12.16 left off).

The early 2010 Conkeror won't let me enter a string in Youtube search box. I ran across it as an add-on to Pale Moon.

palemoon --app /path/to/conkeror/application.ini "%@"

Conkeror is available as a 9MB pet for lucid 5.2.

Hopefully it adds keyboard support to Pale Moon. It also works stand-alone and is maintained. It was compiled with SSE support, as was Opera 10 (or at least 9).

Why would anyone spend Sat night doing anything but compile?
Walter Dnes

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jan 2017, 04:42    Post subject: Re: Pale Moon in Puppy Linux!  

sindi wrote:
Walter, thanks for your efforts. I can't answer your video question but I can test your results on my 2008 netbooks (ACER, HP, Samsung) with Lucid and Slacko.

And if you compiled with SSE support, on my 2001 DELL

As the Pale Moon announcement said, it's not release quality. And gstreamer is still required for mp3 support. This will change when the 27.1.0 version comes out. That's important, because there is no way to upgrade from the old 0.10 version to the newer 1.x gstreamer version on Centos 6.5, which I use for building the "Old Libs" version. So my test builds at home don't have mp3 support. As for building gstreamer 1.x from source, the gstreamer website says... https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/documentation/frequently-asked-questions/getting.html
Quote:
Please note that GStreamer is not an easy thing to build from source, since it has so many interconnected pieces from multiple modules, which must all be installed just right and must all find each other in the right versions.

I'll be testing it at home, but not distributing binaries until the developers deem the code ready for the 27.1.0 release.
Page 49 of 70 [1036 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, ..., 68, 69, 70 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: