Wine on Slacko - OK

Using applications, configuring, problems
jakobcornelis

Wine on Slacko - OK

#1 Post by jakobcornelis »

I have been running Wine on Slacko 531. Having upgraded to Slacko 632, I am having trouble getting Wine to work on it. It seems .exe files do not work. Can anyone running Wine on Slacko 632 give me anye assistance?

Jake

HP Compaq,
Model: DC7100,
CPU: P4, 3.0 GHz,
HDD: 80Gb - SATA,
RAM: 1024 Mb,
Last edited by jakobcornelis on Wed 25 Jan 2017, 01:44, edited 1 time in total.

davids45

Wine + programs as sfs or from directory

#2 Post by davids45 »

G'day jakobcornelis,

Can I ask a few background questions?

Is your Slacko-632 a Full or Frugal?
Did you 'upgrade' your old slacko or was it a new and separate install?
Where did you get the Wine package?
What wine version is it? (The same or newer than your old slacko wine?)
How do you run/install the wine - sfs, pet install or other method?
Is it all .exe files or just one or two that won't run?

I tend not to upgrade wine and MS programs unless I find a need to (that is, something stops running or a new MS program won't run).

David S.

jakobcornelis

#3 Post by jakobcornelis »

David: I have a frugal install of slacko.
It is not an upgrade of the old slacko, but a fresh install.
It is wine-1.4.1-i486_v1.pet, by green_dome, which came from MediaFire.
The previous install, on Slacko 531, is wine-1.3.28-i486_v1. Can't member where that came from.
I only try and run .exe files on Wine. Didn't find any that would go, not even one included in the package.
By the way, I am trying to install Adobe Digital Editions, but that's another kettle of fish (got it running on the old Whine, though.

Jake

mikeslr

Does this discussion help?

#4 Post by mikeslr »

Hi jakobcornelis,

Does this discussion help?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 104#938104

mikesLr

bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

For Wine.

Make sure you have the latest version of Wine.
Good place to get Wine for Puppy.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=88711

Also, look on the first post of the Wine topic for a added program that puts Wine entries in the menu.

When you get Wine installed and the Wine menu entries.
Run Wine config to setup Wine.
It will probably offer you a few more programs needed for Wine to run properly.
Should download and install them as part of the initial config.

Also, in Wine config->Drivers Select autodetect to get all the driver locations loaded in Wine.

A lot of settup options in Wine config, so check them all.

What version of Windows you want Wine to mimic can affect how a program runs. Wine Config->Applications.

About specific programs running in Wine.
Go to the Wine web site and see what it says about a specific program and issues.
http://www.winehq.org

Using Wine is almost like learning a new operating system.
Takes a while to learn how to use Wine and to get things working properly.
Last edited by bigpup on Sun 15 Jan 2017, 03:36, edited 2 times in total.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

davids45

Wine problem with Frugal Slacko

#6 Post by davids45 »

G'day jakobcornelis,

Wine, being a large package, and bigger if you need mono or gecko, is better run via an .sfs rather than a .pet. It gets ginomous if you include your desired MS programs into the one sfs as I do for my Frugals.

You can check an .sfs by trying it in both Frugals - you kept the old slacko on your computer as well?

Simply mount the sfs at boot with Boot Manager? Pet installs may be harder to reverse if there is a problem.

Maybe your 1.4 wine pet was not a good download? Failure to run anything .exe sounds suspicious.
And it is quite old - I'm using 1.8 stable version of wine at present but I think the development versions are past 1.9.

As bigpup advised, see if the latest version of wine from version2013 (green_dome's current nom-de-forum) will work - download this wine as an .sfs if you can?

David S.

Sailor Enceladus

Re: Wine on Slacko

#7 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

jakobcornelis wrote:Is anyone running Wine on Slacko?
Yes. I just type winefile in the terminal then click on the exe from inside that.

Mike Walsh

#8 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Jakob.

Slacko 6.30/6.3.2 always has been problematical for setting up WINE, for some reason. I run WINE in Slacko64 6.3.0, and had loads of fun getting it to actually work.

As the other Mike posted above, in that link you'll find where we advised jeffneedle to run 'winecfg' first.....because until you do, the hidden WINE directory within /root doesn't actually exist. So there's nowhere to install the progs/apps to.

You may also find it helpful to install WINE-Tricks. You'll find details for how to do so in that thread.

It does, however, depend a lot on whether you run 'standard' WINE, or whether you run 'portable' WINE; things are in completely different locations with the two of them. It helps to know which type we're talking about here.

Mike. :wink:

jakobcornelis

#9 Post by jakobcornelis »

First, my apologies for the late response; other activities interfered.
Here's what I have done: Wiped all the old wine stuff off the drive (checked with filefind - nothing left), so I'd have a fresh new start.
Downloaded wine-1.7.47- i486_v2.1.sfs to the .wine folder in the home folder. Made a symlink to /root/; clicked on the sfs. Got the yellow advisory; was advised to move the file to /home; installed. Ran winecfg; set the drive to c drive. That's it. Noted that there is no wine in the menu. Tried to install a program, Adobe Digital Editions. Put the downloaded exe file in a new folder named ADE in the Wine programs folder. Clicked on the exe file. No action. That's as far as I got, foks. What did I not do I should have or did I should'nt have. All I can say, this is about how I remember I did the same thing in my other Slacko, although that was a older ADE file.
By the way, thanks all for the help posts. That clarified a few things, and (I thought) put me on the road to success.
Jake

bigpup

#10 Post by bigpup »

Read again the post I made above.
Several things suggested you need to do.

Also, reboot to make sure what you installed and what settings you made are saved.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

mikeslr

Follow procedures already recommended

#11 Post by mikeslr »

Hi,

There are recipes for everything, and reasons for those recipes. If you don't follow them you may have an interesting, memorable experience. Not following recipes is, itself, a recipe for "getting nowhere fast."

For example, see Attached:

mikesLr
Attachments
Procedure.png
Recipes for Traveling by Car & Using Wine SFS
(142.72 KiB) Downloaded 1365 times

davids45

Mount the sfs?

#12 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

Did you mount-at-boot the wine sfs with Boot Manager (it's in the System menu) and then re-boot?

The lack of a series of wine utilities in the Utilities menu is not a good sign that the wine sfs is actually loaded (see attached screenshot of my computer setup - this is a Full Slacko but would be the same menu with a Frugal Pup).

The other thing I usually do is to use the MS program's installation/set-up program/disk which wine should recognise and follow. Can you try that with your Adobe program set-up or install?

Stick with it,

David S.
Attachments
wine_menu_utilities.png
Menu with wine utilities
(173.44 KiB) Downloaded 1243 times

jakobcornelis

#13 Post by jakobcornelis »

OK, I got Wine working now, thanks to your exhaustive advice, but also having tried out about half a dozen different versions until I found one that works: wine-1.7.24-i486_v2.2.pet. I have ti say, I found this a very frustrating exercicse - particularly so since I went through all this before. But the blame for this lies with my lack of expertise with Puppy. By the way, I also found a version of Adobe Digital Editions that boots, after trying two or three other versions that didn't: Adobe_Digital_Editions 1.7.2 exe (in case someone else is looking for the same stuff). My thanks to davids45, mikeslr, bigpup, Sailor Enceladus, and Mike Walsh. Your patience is much appreciated; without it I would still be nowhere.

Jake

P.S. Now, if someone could refresh my memory as to how to mark this topic as 'solved', or something, I'd appreciate it. J

Mike Walsh

#14 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Jake.

Glad to hear you're up-and-running with Wine.

To mark as 'Solved', open your first post. 'Edit' -> 'Subject line'; just add (SOLVED) - or something similar - to the end of the subject line.

Sorted.

BTW: where exactly did you find that version of Digital Editions? Just out of curiosity, like.....

Mike. :wink: