Golf 2/4 ball competition generator

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
smokey01

Golf 2/4 ball competition generator

#1 Post by smokey01 »

At first this seems pretty easy.

Some background.

Many people like myself play golf. As we are accumulating the years we prefer to play in motorized golf carts. Two people per cart. Each year a group of us get together somewhere in Australia to play golf for a week. The guys come from all over Australia. The numbers in the group vary each year. Last year there were sixteen which made the draw reasonably easy. Four people in each group, two carts in each group which means eight carts and four groups.

There's actually quite a good web site that does a pretty good job for eight, twelve, or sixteen players, etc. It doesn't do so well on numbers like ten or fourteen.
http://golfsoftware.com/tools/schedule/playall.html
This year there is only fourteen in the group so it complicates things. You see, because we only see each other once a year, everyone like to have at least one round of golf with everyone on tour.

A quick assumption suggests why not just have two groups of four and two groups of three. This sound fine but each cart hold two people and this would mean two people each day would have to pay for the cart by themselves. Ok, the way it works: The first group each day has only two people in it. The next three groups have four people in each group and six more carts.

What I need is to be able to generate a draw that fits this requirement. I tried doing a 16 person draw then deleting two people, this won't work because not everyone gets to play with everyone else and there are some double ups but that's not a problem.

See attached a couple of images showing the link I mentioned earlier. This is showing a draw for 16 people.

The short answer: 14 people want to play in groups of 4 or 2 and play in a group with all 14 people over 5 rounds of golf.

I don't care if the solution comes as a spreadsheet or the output from a script. If anyone can help, I will be thankful.

Thanks
Attachments
xscreenshot-20170111T164551.png
The actual draw for 16 people.
(14.09 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
xscreenshot-20170111T164605.png
Show how many times each person plays with each other, only once.
(16.42 KiB) Downloaded 149 times

TeX Dog

#2 Post by TeX Dog »

This is why I stick with mini golf :P
wanting a VR version using a special selfie stick/ golf club.