New computer may need latest kernel for wifi, video

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
TyroBGinner

New computer may need latest kernel for wifi, video

#1 Post by TyroBGinner »

On a new, light-use, notebook computer, a Braswell N3710, several problems have presented themselves. The wireless controller is not detected, xrandr fails to see any external display, and X freezes when quitting to the terminal. Perhaps these are related.

All functions well in this month's release of Fatdog. It reports that the VGA controller is Intel and has product ID 22b1 and using the i915 driver/module. The wifi device is Intel with an ID of 3165 and uses the iwlwifi driver. Other puppies, obviously less recent, do not associate drivers with either device and so wifi doesn't work, but the notebook display does work although no external display is accommodated. Xrandr reports the only available display has the "default" designation.

Is it possible to modify prominent puppy versions such as tahrpup so as to get all the hardware working? I have tried some newer kernels with tahr64, but they were less effective than the standard kernel - though I may not have properly switched them.

Intel says that their 3165 wifi driver only works with kernel versions > 4.2.

Also, I have found some info that suggests the freezing on exit could be related to hanging on attempts to shut down hardware that is not properly supported.

Thanks for any advice...

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

The wifi device is Intel with an ID of 3165 and uses the iwlwifi driver.
This Intel site says it needs the iwlwifi 7265-ucode firmware.
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ ... 05511.html
This file needs to be in /lib/firmware.
If not there.
Download and install it.
If you download the file from the Intel site, it is a tgz compressed package.
Open it using Xarchive.
Inside you will have two files.
iwlwifi-7265-14.ucode
iwlwifi-7265D-14.ucode
Copy these files to /lib/firmware
reboot.

Hopefully with the required firmware the Intel wifi device should be loaded and able to be setup with Network Wizard.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

TyroBGinner

#4 Post by TyroBGinner »

Thanks for the help...I will acquire the Xenialpup soon.

I tried the firmware replacement starting a few days ago with several variations on the theme. I did try the specific procedure mentioned above and on Intel's site, but no luck.

Is there an established method for changing kernels? Does that require a script, and how freely can they be changed - do they have to be specific to the puppy version?

6502coder

#5 Post by 6502coder »

TyroBGinner wrote:Is there an established method for changing kernels? Does that require a script, and how freely can they be changed - do they have to be specific to the puppy version?
This might be relevant:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 164#453164

TyroBGinner

#6 Post by TyroBGinner »

Thanks, all...mick has a thread that details more up-to-date methods for using alternate kernels, but the subject is still shrouded in technical arcana. It is an interesting intellectual puzzle that I will likely revisit, but for now, I am going with xenialpup 707. It is rough around the edges, but so far it does the jobs that I want I encourage the developers to advance it, although that is asking for a great investment of time and effort.

Illutorium

#7 Post by Illutorium »

Maybe that's My build of Trusty will be works (4.2.8 instead of 3.17) -> http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=108681
When I am sure then are you trying with a Xenial,right?

TyroBGinner

#8 Post by TyroBGinner »

Thanks for the input...and your version of puppy, of course! I will try it out soon.

I have not looked specifically for xenial-type pups, but most recent activity in puppy development seems to concentrate on the debian/ubuntu codebase. So, I have decided to try out xenialdog, debiandog, and xenialpup....some are 32 bit, but I am sure will perform well.

Hopefully, the kernel and firmware in your Puppy Tahr Lite will work fine. I will report back on this.