Desktop icons disappeared

Booting, installing, newbie
anewuser

Re: bookmarked.

#21 Post by anewuser »

Pelo wrote:bookmarked. This happens from time to time.
Indeed! as far back as to wary if memory serves me well.

But under what circunstances, though?

One of the most casual errors that pup up in puppy.

souleau

#22 Post by souleau »

No entry for /usr/sbin/save2flash in the restore script, and not in the removal script either.

When I run PuppyPin restore from the menu the icon dissappears, but when I reboot it just adds itself to the /Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin again.

I think its a Puppy Precise 5.7.1 thing. When I remove the icon manually and restart the X server it stays away, until I reboot, and then its back.

Somehow someone once really believed it was important for that save icon to be there, always.

Perhaps it's not really worth putting in a lot of effort to solve a situation which is basically an anomaly. I believe this particular occurance lies beyond the scope your utility is designed for.

Who knows, I've been fiddling about so much through the years, I'm probably responsible for that pesky icon popping up somehow.

LazY Puppy

#23 Post by LazY Puppy »

No entry for /usr/sbin/save2flash in the restore script, and not in the removal script either.
Don't search for the script that is called by the 'save' desktop icon. Search for the name of the 'save' desktop icon.
When I run PuppyPin restore from the menu the icon dissappears, but when I reboot it just adds itself to the /Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin again.

I think its a Puppy Precise 5.7.1 thing. When I remove the icon manually and restart the X server it stays away, until I reboot, and then its back.
Probably you must add code to /usr/local/puppypin-restore/puppypin-restore, which looks like this:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh -a
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Backup and Restore PuppyPin utility
# 2016-12-25 RSH for T.O.P.L.E.S.S. and LazY Puppy

cd /usr/local/puppypin-restore
if [ -f /usr/local/variomen/variomen_newgruppe ]; then
	/usr/local/puppypin-restore/puppypin-restore-vmg
	else
	/usr/local/puppypin-restore/puppypin-restore-default
fi
Just add code that will let the script waiting until X desktop is running.

Like this:

while [ "`pidof X`" = "" ]
do
	sleep .5
done
So, it looks like this:

#!/bin/sh -a
# Backup and Restore PuppyPin utility
# 2016-12-25 RSH for T.O.P.L.E.S.S. and LazY Puppy

# Just wait until X is running
while [ "`pidof X`" = "" ]
do
	sleep .5
done

cd /usr/local/puppypin-restore
if [ -f /usr/local/variomen/variomen_newgruppe ]; then
	/usr/local/puppypin-restore/puppypin-restore-vmg
	else
	/usr/local/puppypin-restore/puppypin-restore-default
fi
Somehow someone once really believed it was important for that save icon to be there, always.
Barry Kauler?

Edit:

I just relized that you are using Precise.

I think /root/.config/autostart is not implemented in Precise Puppy, so you may need to put a symbolic link puppypin-restore (pointing to: /usr/local/puppypin-restore/puppypin-restore) into /root/Startup.

Try this first !!!
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

souleau

#24 Post by souleau »

Yes! The symlink in the Startup folder did the trick.

Good thinking.

At bootup the behavior was exactly as you described, it appeared for a second, then dissapeared when the script kicked in.

Nice. And thank you very much. :)

LazY Puppy

#25 Post by LazY Puppy »

You are Welcome.

Now as it works in Precise also, I created the PuppyPin Restore topic.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

souleau

#26 Post by souleau »

Incidentally, I found out where that code was that insisted on having the save button on my desktop. It was in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.

This is it:

#save button on desktop when booted from flash drive...
if [ $PUPMODE -eq 3 -o $PUPMODE -eq 7 -o $PUPMODE -eq 13 ];then #pup_rw is tmpfs.
 if [ "`cat /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin | grep "save2flash"`" = "" ];then
  echo '<icon x="768" y="128" label="save">/usr/sbin/save2flash</icon>' >> /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
  grep -v '/pinboard' /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin  > /tmp/PuppyPin-CPY
  #sync
  cp -f /tmp/PuppyPin-CPY /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
  echo '</pinboard>' >> /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
 fi
fi
So I've disabled it.

LazY Puppy

#27 Post by LazY Puppy »

souleau wrote:Incidentally, I found out where that code was that insisted on having the save button on my desktop. It was in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.

This is it:

#save button on desktop when booted from flash drive...
if [ $PUPMODE -eq 3 -o $PUPMODE -eq 7 -o $PUPMODE -eq 13 ];then #pup_rw is tmpfs.
 if [ "`cat /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin | grep "save2flash"`" = "" ];then
  echo '<icon x="768" y="128" label="save">/usr/sbin/save2flash</icon>' >> /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
  grep -v '/pinboard' /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin  > /tmp/PuppyPin-CPY
  #sync
  cp -f /tmp/PuppyPin-CPY /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
  echo '</pinboard>' >> /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
 fi
fi
So I've disabled it.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81911

Btw: is this topic solved now?
RSH

april

#28 Post by april »

I can mark it so if you wish . It seemed like you both had more to say though.

souleau

#29 Post by souleau »

Lazy Puppy, I kind of like automatic save. Feels like a nice safetynet to have when you fiddle about, eventhough I ALWAYS make a backup before experimenting.
The truth is that I don't really have any icons on my desktop anymore, apart from the drive icons, and the ones I have in my Wbar. So having this annoying save icon pop up on my desktop, even for one second (hello, OCD!), is something I just can't stand.

April, I think it's safe to assume this thread can be marked as solved. That is, if you don't have anything to add. Is Puppypin-restore working as intended for you btw?