SRWare 'Iron' browser; 64-bit SFS & .pet packages

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Mike Walsh

SRWare 'Iron' browser; 64-bit SFS & .pet packages

#1 Post by Mike Walsh »

Afternoon, all.

Well, Oscar's done it again. He's got me interested in another Chromium-based clone; this time, the SRWare Iron browser. And, having tried this one out, I'm even more impressed than I was with SlimJet. For one thing, this one supports NetFlix playback.....after swapping WideVine modules with those from Chrome itself. SlimJet doesn't.....because FlashPeak won't code in the necessary h.264 codec support....for 'legal' reasons! :shock:

This is like Chrome itself; compiled against an older version of the 'C' library.....so compatible with more Pups. The same goes for Oscar's 32-bit packages:-

https://yadi.sk/d/_S5b4g7tpcyZn

My version installs to /opt, following my usual practice. Because Iron looks for Pepper in /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin (even in the 64-bit Pups), which is a sym-link to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, the latter location is where I've placed libpepflashplayer.so and manifest.json. Iron looks in /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin and finds Pepper due to the sym-link.

(This behaviour is 'hard-coded' into the binary itself, and can't be changed, being primarily set-up for, yep; you guessed it.....Ubuntu!! adobe-flashplugin is the standard location for all things flash-related in the 'buntus...). :roll:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So; here are some SFS packages for the 64-bit Pups. The link is to the Iron folder in my GoogleDrive a/c; just help yourself to the one you need. The 'Slacko64' version should work for FatDog.

There's also a 32-bit 'generic' version, again installing to /opt. As with Oscar's build, the 32-bit version won't run except without sandboxing, employing the '--no-sandbox' switch. Just one of those things, I'm afraid.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Any feedback, problems, etc.,you know where to find me.

Enjoy!

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Mon 22 Oct 2018, 22:09, edited 25 times in total.

Mike Walsh

#2 Post by Mike Walsh »

**New version**

Afternoon, all.

The new 64-bit version of Iron, 55.0.2900.0, released yesterday, is now available for download. These can be found at the link in post #1.

I've included the WideVine module from the current stable Chrome, as SRWare don't provide it.....and in fact their instructions are to 'poach' it from a current version of Chrome. It's also available from the Slackware repo of AlienBob.

The new version of PepperFlash, 24.0.0.186, released 2 days ago, is also included.

Have fun. Any problems, I can be found at the usual location..! :lol:

Mike Walsh

#3 Post by Mike Walsh »

Afternoon, all.

64-bit 55.0.2900.0 has been re-uploaded, with the correct PepperFlash (24.0.0.186) this time. (I accidentally left 23.0.0.207 in. Sorry 'bout that..! :oops: )

All good, now.

charbaby66

hmmm, same thing years ago in windows

#4 Post by charbaby66 »

Not sure why, older chromium Version 47.0.2526.73 Puppy Linux Tahr 6.05 64 works fine. Iron blanks to black screen after 2-5 minutes, no way out but dirty reboot... also the settings hamburger on the top right does nothing so cant see if disabling acceleration would help. after the reboot . it crashes within 30 seconds, cant clear cache ass cant get to settings

I was hopeful, I like that you've got this as all in one, no hack required

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, charbaby.

Mm. Easiest way out would be to delete /root/.cache/iron and /root/.config/iron, re-start Iron, and just let it set itself up again. That's not a problem I've encountered as yet...

I'll let you into a little secret. The browsers that I package, I keep up to date for the community, because many folks like having them as up-to-date as possible. Personally, I run quite a few 'older' browsers.....simply because I don't always like what the developers have done with the newer versions..!

One of my all-time favourites is Chromium 36.0.1985.143; it just 'works', and has never given me the slightest bit of trouble. It's my go-to browser when all else fails... And I always run the very last 32-bit version of Chrome in all my 32-bit Pups; 48.0.2564.116. Touch wood, it, too, has always been trouble-free...

Merry Xmas!

charbaby66

thanks Mike

#6 Post by charbaby66 »

I used to use iron all the time, was liking the idea of using it again. but I saw ans tried slimjet.sfs Oh my! i'm in deep like with it :) I will fiddle with iron in a bit, having fun on the jet . lovely vid quality

Mike Walsh

Re: thanks Mike

#7 Post by Mike Walsh »

charbaby66 wrote:I used to use iron all the time, was liking the idea of using it again. but I saw ans tried slimjet.sfs Oh my! i'm in deep like with it :) I will fiddle with iron in a bit, having fun on the jet . lovely vid quality
Well, there you go. That's Linux for ya; oodles of choice! 'Slimmy's another favourite of mine; my only niggle is that you can't watch NetFlix on it. FlashPeak won't include the necessary h.264 codecs.....for 'legal reasons'.

?????

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Mon 02 Jan 2017, 12:23, edited 1 time in total.

quirkian2new

#8 Post by quirkian2new »

thank you, Mike.

Yes, tested in Fatdog64-702 and it works very well.

Mike Walsh

#9 Post by Mike Walsh »

Ah! Thanks for that, 'quirky'....(you've really picked a good 'un there, ain't ya?) :lol:

I've never been too sure whether these would work in FatDog; cheers for the confirmation.

Appreciated.

Mike Walsh

#10 Post by Mike Walsh »

Anyone using 64-bit Iron and wanting to update to the new version of Flash, just use the .pet from my thread here.

quirkian2new

#11 Post by quirkian2new »

hello,

tried the 32bit package SWIRON in 4MLinux. Works very well, only had to fetch the libnss3/libnspr4 ...... etc from firefox.

Thank you Mike Walsh, Thank you Oscartalks.
Attachments
4mlinux_version18.jpg
(255.63 KiB) Downloaded 2904 times

Mike Walsh

#12 Post by Mike Walsh »

**New version**

Evening, everybody.

The new 64-bit version of Iron, 56.0.2950.0, released yesterday, is now available for download. These can be found at the link in post #1.

The WideVine module has been 'borrowed' from the current stable Chrome, as SRWare don't provide it.....and in fact their instructions are to 'poach' it from a current version of Chrome. It's also available from the Slackware repo of AlienBob. NetFlix runs without issue.

The new version of PepperFlash, 24.0.0.221, released just this morning, is also included.

As fully expected, this release, since it's based on Chromium 56, is displaying all the same 'refusing to run as root' symptoms peebee and I fell foul of a week or 2 back, with Chrome & Chromium. Accordingly, iguleder's libpuppygc.so 'workaround' has once again been successfully employed......as linked to by 01micko, our 'head honcho'. Thanks again, Mick (and of course, iguleder.....without whose efforts this wouldn't be working.....at all.)

And thanks also go to peebee, for doing the necessary 64-bit conversion on the libpuppygc.so module.

Enjoy. Any problems, y'all know where to find me..! :lol:

orrin

#13 Post by orrin »

Hi Mike,

Iron gives me the same error message on https://dnsquery.org/
as Chrome 56...

This site can’t provide a secure connection

dnsquery.org sent an invalid response.
ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR
[color=#FF0000]Engineer/Photographer/Webmaster[/color]
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/fL9MypfV/sig-image.png[/img]

Mike Walsh

#14 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi again, orrin.

Ah! OK... I rather expected that, TBH. I don't know what the hell Google have done with Chrome/Chromium 56, but it's thrown a 'spanner in the works', that's for sure.

I have a sneaking suspicion it's got summat to do with SSL certification, y'know. Google were talking about setting up their own SSL authority on the blog a few weeks back. I can't help wondering if we're seeing some of the first results of that now starting to filter through?

Just a thought.

Edit:- It's curious, TBH. If you look through the Certificare manager in Settings, it would appear that although most certificates are trusted, there's a few that aren't.....including Google's very own ID!! I'm wondering if they've deliberately allowed this to expire, prior to setting up their own certificate authority? Hmmm... :?

quirkian2new

VR video can't be viewed

#15 Post by quirkian2new »

Hello, Mike,

downloaded your 64bit Iron56 and now posting from it. But when i visited some sites that contains VR video, Iron 56 just totally failed to open. I used Oscar's latest 64bit Vivaldi to visit that same site and it was successful.
Attachments
VR_failed.jpg
(19.25 KiB) Downloaded 2624 times

Mike Walsh

#16 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hello, quirkian2new.

Yes, it's an 'odd' one. Iron these days is very closely modelled on Chrome itself.

GoogleEarth, the new version, is now on its own webpage; Google have decided they're not going to release any more desktop clients. I'm currently 'beta-testing' 64-bit Chrome 59.....and I get the same problem you have.

Using Chrome's newest browser to try and view their very own Google Earth, what do I get? 'Your system doesn't support WebGL. Please try another computer...'

I suspect it's more to do with your video card, than any failing of the combination of Puppy/Chrome/Iron... :roll:

Mike Walsh

#17 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi again, quirkian2new.

After some research, I've discovered it is possible to enable WebGL.....but you've got to do some digging around in the guts of the thing to do so.

If you type chrome://flags into the address bar, and press 'Enter', you'll come to the 'Experiments' section.

The very first entry, 'Override Software Rendering List', needs to be set to 'Enable'. Then, scroll about 3/4 of the way down the list. You're looking for 'WebGL 2.0'. This wants to be changed from 'Default' to 'Enabled'. Then, re-start Iron. All things being equal, WebGL should now be active in Iron.

One other thing; go into 'Settings'->'Advanced Settings', and make sure that Iron is set to 'Use hardware acceleration where available'.....and while you're there, disable 'Continue running background apps when Iron is closed'. It's not necessary, and wastes resources.

Hopefully, that'll do what you want. Let me know how you get on with it, please.

quirkian2new

#18 Post by quirkian2new »

hello, Mike,

followed your procedures above, yes, it's now working and the video can be viewed properly.

thanks again

Mike Walsh

#19 Post by Mike Walsh »

quirkian2new wrote:hello, Mike,

followed your procedures above, yes, it's now working and the video can be viewed properly.

thanks again
Excellent. Good to know I wasn't faffing around pointlessly after all!

I say that, because often stuff doesn't work in my Pups the way it's supposed to.....or if it does, it seems to be unreproducible on other folk's hardware.

Go figure. Glad it's worked for you. The tip about the 'Override Software Rendering' I got from a Googlegroups blog session, after a search on DuckDuckGo; seems we weren't the only guys trying to figure this one out! Apparently a lot of folks are having problems getting the new GoogleEarth to behave itself... :roll:

Good old Google..! (not)

Mike Walsh

#20 Post by Mike Walsh »

***New Version: Iron 58.0.3050.0***

Evening, all.

I'd nearly given up on this one (it's been almost 3 months), since SRWare have skipped over version 57, and gone straight to 58 (based on the same release of Chromium). Chromium 56 & 57 were 'problematic' (at least for me), giving all kinds of daft errors when trying to access any of Google's multitudinous sites.

Part of the reason I switched to DuckDuckGo a while back, after years of using the big 'G's search engine.....

Just as with Chrome & Chromium 58, you'll find the tooltips have changed appearance; now white on a black background, instead of the reverse. And the first time you access tooltips on any webpage, they show as a blank, black box; upon re-accessing, they'll work as normal. Slightly annoying, but it's something that can be 'lived with'.

The current release of Pepper is included for now.....but I think the new method of obtaining PepperFlash (first seen in Chrome 54) is active in this one; it should update itself. The included Pepper may quite possibly be redundant; I've only included it to make certain.

(See the Chrome thread for details of how to enable this the first time round:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 393#928393 )

If anybody needs to enable WebGL 2.0 for whatever reason, see my reply to quirkian2new above.

EDIT:- Nope, Pepper is still required in the adobe-flashplugin directory as usual; this release is not making use of the auto-download/update capability like Chrome itself does.....so that's obviously another specifically Google thing.

Anyhow; now it's here at long last, enjoy..!