Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 04 Apr 2020, 21:30
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
palemoon browser
Page 18 of 61 [901 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, ..., 59, 60, 61 Next
Snail

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec 2016, 18:04    Post subject: Google Maps
Subject description: Stuck in Lite

Hi bigpup,

I just checked. I have Intel Mobile 4. Presumably that means no 3D imagery? However, it does not mean I have to be stuck in Lite mode. On this T400 laptop, in Lupu Sulu 2/Seamonkey, I can access Google Maps in normal mode and can drag routes around, which is not available in Lite mode. Since I like that feature and am not fussed about the 3D, this still means that Pale Moon is less useful than Seamonkey, in this regard, for me anyway.

EDIT I should have checked better. In Seamonkey, I do have 3D!

I thought I had mobile 4. Here is my Video Info GLX printout:

Code:
video-info-glx 1.5.3 Wed 14 Dec 2016 on Super Lucid  002  Linux 3.2.48 i686
  2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07) 
  oem: Intel(R)Cantiga Graphics Chipset Accelerated VGA BIOS
  product: Intel(R)Cantiga Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

X Server: Xorg   Driver: intel
X.Org version: 1.7.6
  dimensions:    1440x900 pixels (380x238 millimeters)
  depth of root window:    24 planes

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     P8600  @ 2.40GHz
 Core 0: @2394  1: @2394  MHz

...the above also recorded at '/tmp/root/video-info-glx'.
anikin

PostPosted: Wed 14 Dec 2016, 17:13    Post subject:  

Snail,

I think you should have a look at Steve Pusser's builds (both Debian and xUbuntu debs): http://linux.palemoon.org

Also on that page, there's a link to an interesting build by Walter Dnes, for those of you folks, with older P3 like CPUs - Pale Moon for Linux - SSE-only build.

I'm experiencing my first little setback with Palemoon. I've been using Palemoon for Linux optimized for Intel Atom CPUs from the very first and all the way to the latest release. It worked very well for me and I was happy. Starting with this 27.0 release, they no longer build Atom optimized variant for Linux. The mainline build on this machine is considerably slower and on some websites my font settings don't work the way they are supposed to. So I'm rolling back to the old and trusted version 26.5.0 (Atom). It's time to start thinking about building my own Palemoon optimized specifically for my machine.
atom.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   37.86 KB
 Viewed   1683 Time(s)

atom.jpg

sindi

PostPosted: Thu 22 Dec 2016, 22:47    Post subject: palemoon SSE for linux  

As of Dec 16 2016 the latest Palemoon is available for linux SSE (Pentium III, older AMD).
But it requires glibc 2.17. Lucid and Wary (puppy 5) have glibc 2.11. The official SSE2
version calls for glibc2.11. The person who compiled for SSE will look into compiling
a version (possibly unofficial) for Lucid Puppy. I pointed out that Puppy 6 won't run
on a Pentium III because it needs too much memory. Firefox 41 will.
watchdog

PostPosted: Fri 23 Dec 2016, 01:56    Post subject: Re: palemoon SSE for linux  

sindi wrote:
As of Dec 16 2016 the latest Palemoon is available for linux SSE (Pentium III, older AMD).
But it requires glibc 2.17. Lucid and Wary (puppy 5) have glibc 2.11. The official SSE2
version calls for glibc2.11. The person who compiled for SSE will look into compiling
a version (possibly unofficial) for Lucid Puppy. I pointed out that Puppy 6 won't run
on a Pentium III because it needs too much memory. Firefox 41 will.

My cpu has SSE2: I'm using in wary, puppy4, lucid my palemoon glibc tweaked:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=933443#933443

I use the version glibc tweaked in order to to use the latest NPAPI flashplayer plugin. Eathray in a recent thread pointed out that seamonkey 2.20 is more suitable for SSE only cpu. Where can I find the linux palemoon compiled for SSE?

Later: I found it:

ftp://ftp.palemoon.org/SSE-Linux/

I have tried glibc tweaked packages of the sse palemoon using both glibc 2.19 and 2.20 in puppy4 and lucid. Not success. Missing a working libstdc++.so.6. I have had success in precise and I share the following package for testing. WARNING: you should not use any plugin (flashplayer...) requiring sse2.

palemoon-27.0.3-precise-sse-glibc219tweak.pet:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9iMb4UZBeFkeXZYcC1SeHpRQkE/view?usp=sharing

If you find useful the package then I'll thank you for a feedback.
watchdog

PostPosted: Fri 23 Dec 2016, 09:37    Post subject:  

The above package originally tested in precise is working for me in wary 5.5, too. Can someone test it on a sse cpu? I have used in my testing flashplayer for sse from:

http://www.cromwell-intl.com/linux/flash-on-non-sse2-cpu.html
quirkian2new

PostPosted: Fri 23 Dec 2016, 10:22    Post subject:
Subject description: palemoon growing in size

It seems that palemoon grows significantly in size after version 26.5.0. Seems it's no longer lightweighted ? But the Fatdog64 dev team seems to have compiled their own version "new moon" about 20MB for palemoon 26.5.0
sindi

PostPosted: Wed 28 Dec 2016, 10:50    Post subject: http://wnyc.org blank page  

Palemoon 26.5 and 27.03 (latest) in Lucid 5.2.8.7 (or older) and Tahr 6.0.5 (updated).

After you get rid of a large popup (ad), http://www.wnyc.org/shows/otm displays as a blank page.
In other linuxes (Arch, Manjaro) and XP, Palemoon displays it properly.

Palemoon plays a podcast with Manjaro Linux but does not in Arch or XP, nor does Firefox or Opera play the podcast in Puppy.

Google Chrome displays and plays a podcast properly in Puppy, as does Firefox (latest) in XP.
And Seamonkey 2.46 in Tahr Puppy.

Palemoon is working on better media support.

Palemoon in Tahr is also unable to download an iso from mediafire (link to debiandog jessie
in a puppy forum), while Opera 12.16 works. The page displays but the file names do not.

Since Palemoon is the default browser in Tahr, it would help if Tahr worked better with it.
Maybe some library needs updating?

Also Palemoon is up to 27.03 and Tahr 6.02 came with 26.0, which did not update itself when I updated Tahr.

Palemoon official (SSE2) for linux works with Lucid (glibc 2.11) though it claims to need 2.17.
The official SSE version really does need 2.17 but the compiler is checking into compiling for 2.11.
sindi

PostPosted: Wed 28 Dec 2016, 12:44    Post subject: Palemoon SSE for glibc 2.11?  

The author of the official linux SSE version was told to compile using CentOS7 (with glibc 2.17) though the SSE2 version was compiled with CentOS6 (glibc 2.13, but it works with 2.11). Okay for Tarh and Slacko 6, but not Puppy 5.

He informed me that Lucid Puppy was no longer supported so there is no reason to compile an SSE version for it. And quoted from the website. I quoted back from the website about unofficial versions, with a link to 40 pages of Lucid 5.2.8.7 since July 2015. And 18 pages of Pale Moon discussion

I will check out glibc tweaked and see if Precise will run on a PIII with 512MB RAM. In a puppy forum about glibc someone explained how to make a script to run an individual program with a later glibc.

Seamonkey dropped SSE support in XP after version 2.40. Is there still SSE support for linux?
sindi

PostPosted: Wed 28 Dec 2016, 15:39    Post subject: Palemoon for SSE  

I installed Tahr 6.05 on my Pentium III and it booted using 500MB of my 512MB RAM.
I killed all the processes that I could (cupsd ROX-filer etc).

I tried to run Pale Moon 27.03 SSE-linux and it complained about libstdc++ not finding GLIBCXX_3.4.20,
so the Centos7 compiled version needs more than just a newer glibc.

Would a newer libstdc++ help?

No point in trying Pale Moon SSE with Precise or with glibc 2.19

Seamonkey 2.46 (latest) works on a Pentium III with SSE.

On a 2008 Netbook in Tahr it plays podcasts at http://www.wnyc.org/shows/otm
On the Pentium III in Tahr it loaded the podcast player but would not play.
On the Pentium III in Lupu it would not even load the player.

Pale Moon won't load the page.

I compared memory usage on the netbook.

Seamonkey 45% of 1.5GB
Pale Moon 38%

Seamonkey used 112% of 512MB at the Pale Moon forum site. It worked anyway.
Pale Moon should use 95%.

Since Lucid uses less RAM than Tahr, a version compiled to work with Lucid (glibc 2.11) would be a big help.
The official SSE2 version of Pale Moon works with Lucid.

Anyone here want to make a pet of Palemoon 27.0.3 for SSE with lucid or wary libraries?

There is a Windows XP version 26.5 for SSE. I will try it with MicroXP.

Opera 12 works for most sites and uses about 1/4 as much memory as Seamonkey.
It won't print USPS labels via Paypal/Ebay site.
Or play Youtube on most hardware that I have (but smtube usually works).
sindi

PostPosted: Wed 28 Dec 2016, 23:22    Post subject: Palemoon for Lucid and Tahr Puppies  

Anikin said:
"I'm experiencing my first little setback with Palemoon. I've been using Palemoon for Linux optimized for Intel Atom CPUs from the very first and all the way to the latest release. It worked very well for me and I was happy. Starting with this 27.0 release, they no longer build Atom optimized variant for Linux. The mainline build on this machine is considerably slower and on some websites my font settings don't work the way they are supposed to. So I'm rolling back to the old and trusted version 26.5.0 (Atom). It's time to start thinking about building my own Palemoon optimized specifically for my machine."

Are you able and willing to compile future Pale Moon versions after 27 that work with Lucid and Wary, and also an SSE version of 26.5 or 27?

The next officially compiled version will be compiled with CentOS 7 and is unlikely to work even with the libraries currently in Tahr.

I have three 2008 netbooks (ACER, HP, Samsung) and would love a copy of your netbook optimized 27.
sindi

PostPosted: Fri 30 Dec 2016, 10:54    Post subject: Pale Moon official version for Puppy Tahr and Lucid 5.2.8.7  

From Walter Dnes, who compiled the latest Pale Moon (27) using CentOS7 because the developer told him the mainline SSE2 version would be switching to that. The SSE2 PM was compiled using CentOS6 and works with Lucid and Tahr. The SSE version works with neither. It requires glibc 2.17 (Lucid has 2.11) and even in Tahr there is a problem with libstdc++. (Wary won't even work with the SSE2 version - libstdc++ problem).

He informed me first that Puppy was just a form of Ubuntu and Lucid was no longer maintained - but I quoted to him from the main Puppy page. There is a 41-page forum on Lucid 5.2.8.7, which was updated Dec 16, 2016.

He said older glibc was not secure. GHOST bug. (It was not fixed until glibc 2.23. Lucid 5.2.8.7 was updated again two days ago (right after I mentioned the bug) to patched glibc 2.11.

It looks like Walter will compile a Puppy-compatible SSE version and hopefully someone will also continue providing official SSE2 versions of Pale Moon that work in Puppy:

From Walter, who checked out the rules after I mentioned that Puppy is the default browser for Tahr:

"www.palemoon.org/redist.shtml paragraph 8a

Building and distributing a binary with official branding is in that situation only in principle allowed if an actual variant build is required for the target distribution's compatibility (e.g. kernel or library requirements) or operation, and otherwise not impacting the material content of the browser package as a whole.

So an official build is possible with extra compiler optimizations and older libraries, as long as I don't go ripping out features to save memory. Where is the Lucid Puppy forum website? I have a few questions about the OS in general, before I can start working on a build."

I steered him to this Pale Moon discussion and also to the Lucid 5.2.8.7 Revitalized discussion.

Is Wary still being updated? Might it work with Pale Moon if I replaced libstdc++ with one from Lucid?
watchdog

PostPosted: Fri 30 Dec 2016, 16:11    Post subject:  

watchdog wrote:
The above package originally tested in precise is working for me in wary 5.5, too. Can someone test it on a sse cpu? I have used in my testing flashplayer for sse from:

http://www.cromwell-intl.com/linux/flash-on-non-sse2-cpu.html

Quote:

Give it another try: it works for me in wary. I used libstdc++ from slacko14.2 but also xenial's libstdc++ should work.
sindi

PostPosted: Fri 30 Dec 2016, 16:39    Post subject: palemoon sse pet testing on Pentium III
Subject description: what other pieces are needed?

What specifically do I need besides the pet file to test this glibc219tweaked package on my 2001 Pentium III?
I have on here Tahr (did not work with the official SSE package due to libstdc++ problem),
Lucid (three versions including Dec 28 2016) and Wary. I don't have Slacko - do you want to post
the working libstdc++ file and explain what to do with it? Could it simply be put in the pale moon directory?
watchdog

PostPosted: Fri 30 Dec 2016, 17:18    Post subject:  

Use uextract to see the structure of my package: the requested listdc++.so.6 is in /usr/lib/palemoon/glibc219/libstdc++. My package works in my frugal wary5.5 with dbus and dbus-glib installed (update lists of packages in PPM and search them).
sindi

PostPosted: Fri 30 Dec 2016, 20:51    Post subject: Palemoon glibc 2.19 tweak in latest Lucid 2.8.5.7
Subject description: Still missing something needed by libxul.so

I installed with petget to the latest lucid (which can use a save partition instead of a save file). The package can be unpackaged with tar -zxvf and is about 145MB unpacked.
I don't want a huge save file.

palemoon will not load

libxul.so undefined symbol: gdk_window_get_visual

I cd'ed to where libxul.so is.

ldd libxul.so | grep gdk

libstdc++ ...... GLIBCXX_3.4.20 not found ..(required by ./libxul.so)
libstdc++........GLIBCXX_3.4.15 not found

Someone fixed this problem in Ubuntu (firefox 29 would not install, same error message) by reinstalling gcc-libs.

This means the libstdc++ version belongs to an older version of GCC than was used to compile and link the program ...... Did you get libstdc++ from the same linux version as what you compiled with?

Palemoon SSE (official) in Tahr on the Pentium III gave me the same error message about GLIBCXX_3.4.20 not found.

The SSE2 version works in Tahr but not on a Pentium III.

SSE version was compiled with Centos7 and SSE2 version with Centos6.
Page 18 of 61 [901 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, ..., 59, 60, 61 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: