SlimJet 64-bit SFS packages

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
OldAcer

#41 Post by OldAcer »

The "32-bit generic SFS of Slimjet" source mentioned by Mike Walsh 3 posts ago can not be downloaded using Dillo as it is https. The slimjet.com/en/postdl .php... (tar.xz) page is available, but does not download; using the "if download does not start automatically" link goes to a blank page where nothing seems to happen.

Any alternatives?

Mike Walsh

#42 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, OldAcer.

Mm. I've read a few of your posts recently; you're having 'problems' with Dillo, aren't you? Unfortunately, it's a bit restricted, from what I understand.

Can you download anything with it? Like, for instance, FireFox? Perhaps install and use FF to download SlimJet?

Seems perhaps a 'roundabout' way of doing things, but you may have to. What Pup are you running? SlimJet may not run on older Pups, because of the age of the glibc - the main 'C' library, that Puppy's built around.

I believe you can use 'wget', but I don't know how that works, I'm afraid..... It is, so I understand, installed in all Pups as standard; it's how the package manager downloads stuff.

Mike. :wink:

OldAcer

#43 Post by OldAcer »

The fundamental problem is Firefox 45.2 ESR, which keeps crashing when i try to use certain sites; its Crash Reporter has never worked.

When I first got my Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 CD, it did offer to download Firefox but didn't succeed- I don't remember the reason. Dillo, in the package, did work right away, and would download things. FTP also worked.

In any case I got a FF version on flash drive and used that to upgrade to the present one.

The recent problem was that FF was crashing upon startup due to its Restore function. So I was trying to find another SSL browser that Dillo would download.

Just now, I found and renamed the FF restore files, so it is working until I try to do what I have needed to do for the last week. Using it I can go to the Mediafire.com URL you posted above. Selecting only the "32 bit generic" then "download" offers a popup with only "upgrade" or "cancel", which then goes back again to "download". How does one actually download?

Mike Walsh

#44 Post by Mike Walsh »

Right. Well, for one thing, what you're wanting to do isn't going to work. I run rerwin's Lucid 5.2.8.7 Sulu-002.....and SlimJet will not install, 'cos the glibc is way too old.

I've tried, believe me.....I installed Lucid originally to try and help out somebody else (TwoPuppies, I believe) who wanted to run SlimJet in Lucid (only to find out I was on a hiding to nothing.) :shock:

Same goes for Chrome, too. Modern versions just won't have it. Depending on what you want to do with it (it's too old to be supported by the App store, and extensions won't install), I do have a copy of Chrome 26 I can let you try out. I'm a long-term Chrome user, ever since it was in beta, back in 2008.....and Chrome 26 kinda reminded me of just why I fell in love with it originally; it's extremely nippy, and light on its feet. :D

If you're interested, I'll put it in a different location, where you should be able to access it without problems. Let me know what you want to do, please. :)

OldAcer

#45 Post by OldAcer »

I was going to try Chrome or Chromium, if you have one you think might run, I'll try it, being desperate for any SSL alternatives. I don't have enough buffer space to create another boot CD. My impression from Android tablets was that Chrome probably made it difficult to have privacy against Google- many steps to clear cookies, etc, but I'll give it a try.

Mike Walsh

#46 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Old Acer.

Okay. Well, Chrome 26 will run with Lucid, because it was built to work with Lucid's glibc....which is 2.11, I believe. The following release, 27, was compiled with 2.13....which is why it won't run on Lucid.

Give me a few minutes, and I'll send you a link by PM.

Mike Walsh

#47 Post by Mike Walsh »

*** NEW Version 12.0.9.0 now available***

Morning, all.

The current release, 12.0.9.0, is now available for download. These can be found at the location in post #2. This includes the current version of Pepper, 23.0.0.207.

The 32-bit 'generic' SFS of SlimJet is also available from the same location as the 64-bit releases:-

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/3so7h6 ... S_packages

Don't forget, from version 12, SlimJet will only run under 32-bit totally without sandboxing, i.e. with the '--no-sandbox' switch; Pup's 'root' model doesn't allow for any other mode of operation with these recent versions, I'm afraid.

Enjoy. Any problems, I'm never very far away...

Mike Walsh

#48 Post by Mike Walsh »

*** NEW Version 12.0.12.0 now available***

Morning, all.

The current release, 12.0.12.0, is now available for download. These can be found at the location in post #2. This includes the brand-new version of Pepper, 24.0.0.186 (released today).

The 32-bit 'generic' SFS of SlimJet is also available from the same location as the 64-bit releases:-

As usual, version 12 of SlimJet will only run under 32-bit totally without sandboxing, i.e. with the '--no-sandbox' switch; Pup's 'root' model doesn't allow for any other mode of operation with these recent versions.

Have fun. Any probs, you know where to find me...

kerl

#49 Post by kerl »

Hi! First off thanks for your work :P
A newbie question: how should I replace my previous installation? I guess I can unload the old .sfs, delete it, download the new one and load it from the sfs manager.. but what about cache folders and everything else? erasing them by hand? is there some sort of (un)installer?

Mike Walsh

#50 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, kerl.

Easiest way is to just unload the old version with the 'on-the-fly' loader/unloader (in the right-click menu), then having moved the new version to the same location (/mnt/home), load it the same way. You can then delete the old one, or do whatever else you want with it.

/root/.cache/ & /root/.config should be left as they are. Your settings will carry over to the new version.

Hope that helps!

Mike Walsh

#51 Post by Mike Walsh »

Apologies are due to anyone who's been trying to get the 64-bit version of 12.0.12.0 to run.

My fault, entirely; I mixed-up the 32-bit & 64-bit scripts (they run with different exec-line 'switches.) I've corrected the problem, and re-uploaded them again to the normal location.

Sorry about that. :oops: If you re-download again, you should find it now works properly.

Mike Walsh

#52 Post by Mike Walsh »

*** NEW Version 12.0.14.0 now available***

Morning, all.

The current release, 12.0.14.0, is now available for download. These can be found at the location in post #2. This includes the current version of Pepper, 24.0.0.186.

As usual, version 12 of SlimJet will only run under 32-bit totally without sandboxing, i.e. with the '--no-sandbox' switch; Pup's 'root' model doesn't allow for any other mode of operation with these recent versions.

I'm expecting to find version 13 on release any day now, so.....if you're a 'Slimmie' fan, watch this space.

Have fun. As usual, any probs, you know where to find me.

comcoco

Slimjet

#53 Post by comcoco »

I am very grateful for the work you do and for this Forum. I often read it, and occasionally reply. I am a very unskilled old man who does not know what I am doing at all. I am not at all good on the command line, and rarely use it. One reason I like Puppy Linux is the large number of useful GUIs it contains. I operate or am responsible for several computers which all run Puppy Linux exclusively, and have for several years. The version to which I am currently converting these computers is Tahr64.6.0.5. All the computers are barebones computers without hard drives, most recently Gigabyte GB-BXBT-2907 from Amazon for ~$120. The Puppy is installed on a USB memory stick and they run from there.

My computers only use gmail for email and use chrome/chromium the for the browser. I would even like to remove the email and browser programs from Puppy. I have not been able to change the default browser to chrome/chromium, but I would like to and get rid of PaleMoon and the provided email programs.

One of the reasons prompting me to convert to PuppyTahr64 were some problems with the chrome/chromium browser. For a long time I got the following message printed across my google page:

“This version of Chrome is no longer supported. Please upgrade to a supported browser. Dismiss

Mike Walsh

#54 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hallo, Peter.

Mm. Well, now; SlimJet is based on Chromium (just like Chrome itself is.) Chromium is where all the development work is carried out.....but because it doesn't come with Google's 'nosiness', this is why many people like it.

Quite a number of browsers are based on it. Iron is, too. Chrome is now at version 55. Iron is based on Chromium 55; SlimJet is based on Chromium 53.

FlashPeak always base their browsers on a slightly older version of Chromium, because they like to test, test & test again (and again..!)

You'll find that Chromium 53 is the very last version of it that will work with Tahr64. Reason for this is that the Chromium Project always writes the browser to use the very newest version of the 'C' library, which is what all Linux distros are based around. Google themselves always re-compile backwards against an older version of the 'C' library (the glibc, it's called.) This makes it available to a much larger user base. Iron and SlimJet appear to do this too.

Newer versions of Chromium now won't work with Tahr64. You can't upgrade the glibc easily, without the risk of 'breaking' Puppy. But there's still plenty of options...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you understand what SFS packages are? And do you know how to use them? They're an alternative packaging system which Puppy uses, rather than needing to use the PPM (or, in the case of Tahrpup, Quickpet.) They're entirely self-contained.....and, more importantly, for a 'bare-bones' approach, you can load/unload them as and when needed. That way, they're not occupying space n RAM; only when you want to use them.

They use the 'on-the-fly' loading system developed quite a few years ago by Shinobar, of the Japanese Puppy community.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Try this; download the newest version of SlimJet from this thread. When you've done that, copy it across to /mnt/home (your Pup's partition, where the save-file/folder and all the Puppy system stuff lives.)

Left-click on it. You'll get a window come up asking if you want to view the contents, or install. Click on install. You'll get another small window come up shortly, asking you to confirm if you want to install. Click on 'OK'.

You'll then see another couple of small windows appear, as the SFS is being 'loaded'. When it's done, if successful, it will tell you so. Go to Menu->Internet, and all things being equal, you should see an entry for SlimJet Web Browser (ot just 'SlimJet'.) Now you can launch it.

Try that, and let me know how you get on. When it's time to upgrade to another, newer version, click on the SlimJet SFS in /mnt/home, and it'll ask if you want to unload it. Click on 'OK', and it'll tell you when it's finished. Now delete the SFS.

Download the new one, place it in /mnt/home again, and repeat the above install procedure. You'll find that all your settings have been retained in /root/.config (it's a 'hidden file', which you can access by clicking on the 'eye' icon on ROX's taskbar.)

It's a piece of cake when you've done it a couple of times.....and you'll wonder what all the fuss was about!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, Peter; you're not doing anything wrong! The versions of software in the PPM and Quickpet don't tend to get updated as often as software in the Forums. And Tahrpup isn't getting quite as much attention as it used to, since 666philb, its creator, is devoting most of his time to getting the much newer XenialPup running properly.

My browser packages (and indeed those of OscarTalks'), tend to get upgraded very much more regularly, since we use these browsers ourselves.....and therefore like to have them as up-to-date as we can get them. That's all.

Both of us get the latest tar.gz packages from the developer's websites, and then re-package them for Puppy.....including correcting permissions. The .deb packages will install into the Tahrs.....but they have a nasty habit of breaking CUPS (for printing). And then you have all sorts of fun putting that right...!

Oscar and I both like to make certain that our packages just 'work'.....and don't interfere with anything else in the process.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

FYI, there's also the Ibiblio 'Tahr64 Packages' page. As I understand it, QuickPet draws most of its source material from here:-

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... es-tahr64/

Hope all that helps!

comcoco

Slimjet

#55 Post by comcoco »

Mike,

I do not know how to tell you how much I appreciate the time and effort you took to help me. Thank you!

I learned a lot from your reply. I have not been able to get the newer version of Slimjet to replace the older one on my computer, but I have made a lot of progress in that direction.

I did get it downloaded from your Site on MediaFire. I had to register for MediaFire and many false starts doing that, but I finally got it downloaded onto my machine and certainly placed on my /mnt/home directory. I followed your instructions exactly. Everything seemed to work, but I have not apparently replaced the earlier version of Slimjet which I had installed from Quickpets. This did not appear in mnt/home so I could not delete or remove it. I am guessing that installing a program as a pet does not place it in mnt/home, but somewhere else. I have not been able to find it. I even downloaded it from site you mentioned so I would know its name, slimjet_amd64.pet. I am sure that this is still the program. It still works. The version has not changed.

Assuming I am right, how can I remove this older version of Slimjet which I installed with QuickPets? Then I would probably have to make another install of the newer version which is still in mnt.\/home.

Thanks!

Peter

Mike Walsh

#56 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, Peter.

Mm. Right. I need to know one thing, now. How have you installed your Pups? Did you do them as a 'frugal' install.....or did you do them as a 'full' install?

I ask, because SFS packages won't work with a 'full' install. If you've done them that way, I'll have to make you a .pet version. Doesn't take long, but you need the right type of package for your installs.

If you installed SlimJet from QuickPet, it should show up in the Uninstall box in the PPM. You'll need to uninstall it first, before you install a new version.

---------------------------------------------------

I must confess, I've never heard of anybody needing to register for MediaFire before they can d/l my packages. It's a 'shared', public folder.....so anybody should have access to it!

Let me have the answer as to what type of install you've done.....then we'll go from there.

comcoco

Slimjet installation

#57 Post by comcoco »

Mike,

Thanks for your reply and help. Sorry, I have not had internet connection for the last 3 days. I am now back and still trying to install a later version of Slimjet on my Tahr 64.

I think I installed the full version of Puppy Tahr, but I am not sure. Is there anyway to know? I know I used QuickPet to install Slimjet. Would I be better starting all over and installing frugal. I really do not know the difference. Remember I am running on machines with no hard drives.

I do not know how to remove the Slimjet I installed from QuickPet or how I would replace the older version If you prepared a Pet version for me.

One thing I do know is that the older Chrome version I am running on most of my machines is not working well. It often causes freeze ups and requires killing the program and restarting. I really would like to replace it with a Slimjet up to date version. Installing programs from Pets is clearly the easiest for me. I am, however very glad you taught me how to install an SFS file, but I do not know if I did it correctly.

Working with such someone with my low level of skill may be too much for you. Please do not let me overwhelm you. I would welcome a good primer documentation on Puppy Linux. I have tried everything I have been able to find without satisfaction. Either they do not provide the information I need or they assume too much knowledge from me.

Thank you, Mike!

Peter

Mike Walsh

#58 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hallo again, Peter.

TBH, the easiest way to tell if you have a 'full' or 'frugal' install is to look in your /mnt/home partition. If it's a 'frugal', you should see a 'puppy_tahr64_6.05.sfs' file. You should also see a 'zdrv_tahr64_6.05.sfs' file, too. If you've got those, then you have a 'frugal' install.

If, however, you've got a load of directories like /etc, /root, /lib, /bin, /sbin, /tmp, and things like that, then you have a 'full' install. If that's the case, I'm not surprised you're having problems with it; the only things that will install on a 'full' are .pet files.

'Full' installs are, however, recommended for hardware with particularly low amounts of RAM; frugals work better with plenty of it, since they prefer to load fully into RAM at boot, then run from memory. This is why Pups are so fast, even on elderly machinery!

Let me know what you have, and then I'll make a suggestion.

comcoco

Slimjet

#59 Post by comcoco »

Mike,

Thanks for your continued help.

I definitely have a frugal installation of Tahr64 based on the indicators you gave me.

I uninstalled Slimjet using PPM, downloaded the latest Slimjet, moved it to /mnt/home, and ran it as you instructed. It seemed to go well except the last 2 small windows did not appear, nor did I get a message saying it was successfully installed. I looked for it in Menu>Internet, but could not find it there or in the user/share/applications directory. I rebooted but still could not find it. Its sfs file is still in mnt/home. When I left click on it, a screen opens as before, except that it does not offer to install it, but to uninstall it instead.

So to my unskilled eye, it appears to be installed, but I do not know how to start the program.

Please make any suggestions as to how to proceed.

Thanks,

Peter

Mike Walsh

#60 Post by Mike Walsh »

Mm. Ri-i-i-ght. Time for a spot of troubleshooting, methinks.

Open a terminal. Copy/paste (or just enter) this:-

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/flashpeak-slimjet
...hit 'Enter', and let me know what the output is, please.

(Tip. For pasting into urxvt (the terminal), use your scroll-wheel, and click on it. That's how you paste into Pup's terminal..!

For copying from urxvt, simply highlight what you wish to copy. Then you can paste into your next post in the usual way.)

Easy when you know how! It's 1 am here in the UK, and I'm going to get my head down.....I'll catch you tomorrow.