JL64-704 Slackware-14.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Dry Falls

kernel?

#161 Post by Dry Falls »

Hi Belham2

Your boot menu entry looks good. With a frugal (manual) install, forget everything on the iso except vmlinuz, initrd.xz, the base file (JL64-701.sfs) and any sfs files you wish to add. The grub.cfg on the iso is from Grub2, so please ignore it if your box isn't uefi.

I'm assuming your machine is 64 bit, so the only thing I can think of is the newer kernel might be no longer compatible with older machines. I've just uploaded k4.1.11.tar.gz to gdrive so you might give that kernel package a try. Haven't had too many complaints about that one.

thanks for trying,
df

Dry Falls

JL64-702

#162 Post by Dry Falls »

Upgrade to JL64-702

no iso yet but you can make your own.

download JL64-702.sfs and k4.8.4.tar.gz (kernel package) from JL64-702 directory (see o/p) for minimal installation. recommend 2_gvfs addon. sfs-update should do the rest.

~/Desktop Surf link still points to JL64-701 for files not yet moved over.

edit: deltas now available for JL64-701f & JL64-701f2 iso's

eztuxer

#163 Post by eztuxer »

Hi Dry Falls, I am getting a RF kill msg instead of network with 3 different interfaces that work with F D.
Don't poop it down... Pup it Up !

Dry Falls

#164 Post by Dry Falls »

eztuxer wrote:Hi Dry Falls, I am getting a RF kill msg instead of network with 3 different interfaces that work with F D.
Not clear which 'networking' you're talking about. samba? wifi wlan bluetooth uwb ultrawideband wimax wwan gps fm nfc?
You can install rfkill (to query switches) from gslapt and try

Code: Select all

rfkill list --then --
rfkill unblock <IDENTIFIER> -- or --
rfkill unblock all
I don't have wifi or bluetooth devices so can't be of much help.
What have you tried using other than frisbee?
If it is a kernel configuration issue, I'd sure like to know,
Thanks for bringing this up

df

edit, here's trimmed down pet for rfkill:
Attachments
rfkill-0.5-x86_64-1.pet
(5.07 KiB) Downloaded 120 times

eztuxer

#165 Post by eztuxer »

Thanks for pet, will try it and report.
It is for web via wlan0 wlan1 ...

eztuxer

#166 Post by eztuxer »

wlan0 usb wlan 1pci & bluetooth were soft blocked.
Unblocked them all.
Could connect to (paid service) wifi server with PNM.
But no data transfer, it should at least give me the "fon proximus" login page.
ifconfig says wlan0 up but 0 tx 0 rx bytes. :roll:
It would be nice to have a minimal browser pre-installed for login on roaming paid wifi, so we can login and download a bigger newer one.
I think frisbee might conflict with PNM.

Dry Falls

#167 Post by Dry Falls »

eztuxer wrote:It would be nice to have a minimal browser pre-installed for login on roaming paid wifi, so we can login and download a bigger newer one.
I think frisbee might conflict with PNM.
move frisbee from startup folder...

surf browser is builtin. full https support. Check the menu or desktop folder. It is embedded into sfs-update and will download any browser at g-drive you choose.
Palemoon Installer is also builtin. but the repo has seamonkey, chromium, firefox, icecat and tor. Midori is built into the xfce addon. With qt5, qupzilla browser. Sfs update is set to run automatically, so should bring up a window of available packages, will download and install them. You can also use gslapt to get packages from salix (browsers, etc) or slackware.

df

Dry Falls

frisbee

#168 Post by Dry Falls »

eztuxer and anyone with frisbee issues:

I installed frisbee-1.3.4-20150426.pet from Frisbee Network Manager as is without any screwups. Had to make some changes to network_tray to accommodate different DE's. Frankly, I don't see any advantages but, as I said before, I only have eth0, so can't really test. Here's both pets:
Attachments
network_tray-2.7.5-x86x64.pet
(18.9 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
frisbee-1.3.4-20150426.pet
(33.9 KiB) Downloaded 162 times

eztuxer

#169 Post by eztuxer »

Thanks D F
Got the pets will try it this week-end.
About the built in browser, I mean I need a working browser so I can login to the wifi router before I can dwnld a browser.
So I did install firefox dwnld via fat dog, and the other pets too.

E Z T

Dry Falls

#170 Post by Dry Falls »

You can run surf from the terminal: type surf <location>
Theoretically, net discovery should be automatic at boot-up (dhcp, wpa-supplicant).

I've uploaded a new JL64-702.sfs along with mate, xfce, etc. Disabled firewall till after first-run. Some rough edges smoothed out. I don't think updating frisbee is going to be too helpful if there are problems connecting to wifi. The existing /usr/share/broadcom/wl.ko (and therefore, chmod +x /etc/init.d/BC-wl is no good ("wrong format") I'll try to compile a new one. Not yet sure how to go about it. That file may have to be deleted in any case if you're trying to hook up with broadcom.

Explore the menu. There are several alternatives, including Stemsee's wifi-connect.

df

edit: iso is up (336M) (minimal)

stemsee

#171 Post by stemsee »

FatDog kernel 4.7.1 has working wl.ko for broadcom. Works with my BCM43142. I don't know how Kirk or Jamesbond compiled, but I suspect it is down to their development environment.

Dry Falls

broadcom

#172 Post by Dry Falls »

Thanks Stemsee. Since it's the same file with the stock kernel (k4.4.3.5), I assume it will work in JL64. Similar glib-c. Anyway, the pet (fd64-broadcomwl.pet) is uploaded and available.

eztuxer

#173 Post by eztuxer »

installed both pets and wifi works at least I get the login page, but I need to type my email and there is no "@" to be found on the keyboard (works on FD).
Also that lock all rf is persistant and I need to retype rfkill unlock all after each reboot.

Dry Falls

#174 Post by Dry Falls »

eztuxer wrote:there is no "@" to be found
Did you check keyboard layout after first run ('personalize settings')? Access from quick setup (wbar) or Lighthouse looknfeel (desktop) or control panel. I haven't done anything with localization, though I'm sure there have been changes since 2013. Your sig says Belgium. Would that be French or German? Those are the two alternatives for keyboard layout. Not sure where to go from here except to experiment with different layouts. What is your choice in fd? One might be able to come up with a different rule in .xinitrc.

df.

by the way, I finally followed advice in the new release and have firewall disabled till after first run. Might that have been a problem with the rf lockout?

also, the 3_devlib addon has python, and should probably be run as a matter of routine for the extra deps it contains. I'm working on a minimal python to put back in the base file after some over-eager debloating.

eztuxer

#175 Post by eztuxer »

Posting from JLH 64.
I made a .txt file with the email...
More precisely, the support of the "alt gr" key & the up down left right arrows is dead.
Will try to swap /etc/keymap config file with that from FD

Dry Falls

#176 Post by Dry Falls »

mariner iso uploaded. see o/p. includes previous pets and fixes.

Dry Falls

mariner

#177 Post by Dry Falls »

first post-upload fix for lxde (if you don't run lxde, don't bother):

also, I've decided to revert to Tazoc's original frisbee-lhp: The pet was no good (couldn't get around the symlink so 'JL64-702.sfs___JL64-702.sfs.delta' is available to apply to the base file.
Attachments
lxde-fix.pet
(3.91 KiB) Downloaded 152 times

Dry Falls

#178 Post by Dry Falls »

here is the frisbee-revert tar.gz file which largely makes up the delta file. Also, as an addendum, apps-frisbee provides new desktop files so you can tell which one you're clicking on in the menu (not in delta). Note you can enable either (probably not both) to start at boot in the services section of boot menu. I have neither enabled since I don't have wlan on this box. In most cases, dhcpd/icw should be sufficient for discovery at first boot. If not, experiment (for example, try wifi-connect). There is also a network manager sfs available. Check sfs-update.

df

edit: reuploaded delta. Now includes all the above (7.4M)
Attachments
frisbee_revert-lhp-2.tar.gz
(68.46 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
apps-frisbee.tar.gz
(457 Bytes) Downloaded 146 times

stemsee

#179 Post by stemsee »

Here are updated wifi-connect scripts. The logic in assigning wifi cards 1 &/or 2 has been updated after my machine assigned wlan2 label to 1st wifi-card, normally wlan0. When a second wifi card is detected but not the first the logic ascribes detected wifi card also as first. This is needed for all scripts to function properly under a variety of setups. For example, my usb wifi dongle is assigned a variety of labels depending on which kernel I boot the system with. When I boot with fd lernel 4.7.1 my builtin pcie broadcom wifi card loads and is assigned wlan1 or 2 label while the usb dongle gets wlan0 label. Anyway it improves useability. In FatDog the comprrehensive wifi connection app does not recognize or allow selection of a second wifi card.
Attachments
ss.png
(100.5 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
wifi-connect-update.tar.gz
(12.72 KiB) Downloaded 156 times

Dry Falls

#180 Post by Dry Falls »

Thanks, Stemsee.

Another bug fix which has plagued me since forever, but only intermittently. Xscreensaver periodically locks up running under kde or lxde. Turns out it's a problem of timing the launch of the daemon, or so it seems.
Attachments
xscreen-fix.pet
(3.13 KiB) Downloaded 136 times